PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Rogue-Like Classes

Chained Birds
2012-06-28, 10:44 PM
So, let's say you are going to be playing a character with no starting wealth or items and are dropped right into a dungeon.

All items and equipment from here on will be random, so no wish lists or purchase lists as there are no shops down here in this Rogue-Like Dungeon.

Here's my question: What is the best class for this? As in, what class can truly survive in this setting with the bare minimums?

And I would like to hear answers besides that of Tier 1 casters like Druids. :smallannoyed:

Psyren
2012-06-28, 10:49 PM
Starting level? Feats/race?

Incarnates are great since they get all their soulmelds at level 1, so if they need to fight, sneak, run, get around etc. they have ways to do so, and don't spend resources on any of it.

EDIT: Same with Totemists, with the added benefit of being even better unarmed.

kharmakazy
2012-06-28, 10:50 PM
Artificer is my first choice... but that is tier 1.

I have done exactly this scenario with both the Dragonfire adept and the warlock. They both do quite well without any equipment, can blast all day long, and have unlimited "spells" from their very limited lists.

Being able to stay on the ceiling all day long and blast range touch attacks is pretty useful.

Larpus
2012-06-28, 11:03 PM
My answer is regarding Pathfinder.

Overall, any sort of caster (looking at tier3s) should fare essentially well, I'm assuming "bare minimum" covers things such as component pouches, if it doesn't...well, we're looking at a bunch of Eschew Materials here.

Magus should fare pretty well from the get-go as they can enchant their own weapons, equip most weapon types and have magic to fall back on.

Summoner should have nearly no problem, the Eidolon is pretty powerful by itself and, should it be slain, there's SlA Summon Monster with min/level duration.

Alchemist can actually have some issues depending on what "bare minimum" covers, but if it's "anything without an actual cost", then he can buff himself pretty well, bombs are a great damage source (if a bit limited due to uses/day), have discoveries for various effects (such as flight) and if you prefer melee, Vivisectionist trades bombs for sneak attack, couple that with Feral Mutagen and you have your own set of weapons, though making them magical can be bothersome (still, there's the Arcane Strike feat). Weapon proficiency might be bothersome though.

Bards would have some trouble on damage overall, though if memory serves me right, some archetypes actually have methods of dealing damage without the use of a weapon.

Inquisitors would have some issues at first due to a not that great spell list and lack of damage-oriented features (before Judgement), but after Judgement and especially after Bane, they shouldn't have much trouble overall.

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-28, 11:43 PM
I know you said no Tier 1's...

but...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=292794

Kobold & Trickery domain cloistered cleric.

Failing that, Factotum, Savant, or Psychic Rogue.

gorfnab
2012-06-28, 11:52 PM
Warforged Crusader with Adamantine Body feat

Answerer
2012-06-28, 11:56 PM
Unarmed Swordsage would probably be pretty choice as far as martial characters go. Not entirely screwed without armor or a weapon, has decent mobility, etc.

Chained Birds
2012-06-29, 11:41 PM
Starting level? Feats/race?

Starting at lvl 1 of course. And I'll be mean here and say that unless the class specifically gives you the item/items right from the get-go (Like CW Samurai), you are stuck with only commoner's clothing with no benefits or flaws.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-30, 12:00 AM
Definitely Sorceror (the PF one even comes w/ Eschew Materials at level 1 for free!) or Summoner.

Vow of Poverty unarmed swordsage or monk is probably the best non-casters can muster, but that's a HUGE power drop-off. Warblade might be playable, just will such until you can get to Insightful Strike maneuver. Wildshape Ranger into Master of Many Forms would be unplayably bad early on, but functional at level 6 and quickly becomes really good from there.

doko239
2012-06-30, 12:17 AM
For PF, Summoner (esp. Synthesist) or Druid would be my bet. Just hide behind your tanky summon all day.

Vizzerdrix
2012-06-30, 06:53 AM
Tomb tainted Dread Necromancer would be my choice. A strongheart Hafling preferably. Enough starting feats to get stuff done right. All the free healing and a decent attack. spells wouldn't even come into it for most fights in the beginning.

Hmm... I could see human Fighter with Improved Toughness, Troll blooded and Hidden Talent (expansion) being able to grind through. Until you find a weapon, just grapple and let your regeneration take care of everything. Expansion gives you a reach advantage when your first weapon shows up. Level 2 should be unarmed Swordsage for the Wis to AC and a reliable source of damage, followed up with either whirling or pouncing barbarian. Hmm... I should use this for the base for my frost rager build.