PDA

View Full Version : The Grappleporter

VGLordR2
2012-06-29, 12:39 AM
Hey, guys. Before you read the rest of this post, I want you to know that I am very tired, and words are starting to blur together. Anything written here may make me appear insane. That being said, I found something interesting. Another thread mentioned the rules for escaping a grapple. I'll leave them here.

You can escape a grapple by winning an opposed grapple check in place of making an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you so desire, but this requires a standard action. If more than one opponent is grappling you, your grapple check result has to beat all their individual check results to escape. (Opponents don’t have to try to hold you if they don’t want to.) If you escape, you finish the action by moving into any space adjacent to your opponent(s).

So, in my sleep-deprived stupor, I read that last line. If you escape, you finish the action by moving into any space adjacent to your opponent(s). So you can move to any space adjacent to one of your opponents. But it doesn't specify that you have to move next to an opponent that was not grappling with you. So, couldn't you (in theory) escape a grapple and end up in a square next to an opponent who is standing on the other side of the battlefield? It sounds completely wonky, but I'm too tired to find anything to shut this down. Your thoughts?

Aegis013
2012-06-29, 12:41 AM
I suspect it means in the case that multiple opponents are trying to grapple you, can escape to a square adjacent to one of the opponent(s) [who are trying to grapple you].

Quietus
2012-06-29, 01:06 AM
You couldn't end up on the other side of the battlefield, because the opponent has to be adjacent to you. But you could move to the other side of a foe that's adjacent to you but uninvolved in the grapple, as odd as that would be.

NamelessNPC
2012-06-29, 01:13 AM
Tecnically, yeah, it doesn't say "opponent who was just grappling you", but if you are going to read it like that...

I also doesn't say that it has to be an opponent in the battlefield right now, so you can use it to teleport next to a political opponent in another city, or to teleport next to the BBEG or whatever

@Quietus: the opponent doesn't have to be adjacent to you, you actually move to a space adjacent to it

planswalker
2012-06-29, 05:01 AM
according to that logic, you could move to a space adjacent to an historic enemy of your people who has been dead for a millennium, teleporting you through time.

I'm not going to bother saying how WRONG such an interpretation is, just say that I reject that interpretation. You may or may not be able to claim that as a "RAW", I don't care.

Eisirt
2012-06-29, 07:40 AM
RAW are stupid... be a smart player.

Qwertystop
2012-06-29, 07:41 AM
Funny and RAW-workable? Yes. Sensible? Only from a very very specific character archetype.