PDA

View Full Version : New D&D campaign

~Nye~
2012-06-29, 01:31 AM
Hey guys
This summer I'm running a one shot campaign with a friend, since all our current games are on hold since other DMs are planning and other players need to catch up on solo sessions.

The way I'm thinking of running this is by having the PC bump into various NPCs and build a party then deal with whoever messing stuff up. If any of you played Baldur's Gate 1+2 on the PC, I'm aiming for something like that.

The PC is gonna be a factotum/master thrower/monk. He's gonna make something ridiculously broken, luckily for me, I have a habit of making ridiculously challenging bosses, dungeons and puzzles.

In my head I'm thinking of starting the campaign like this:

A star falls from the sky, and the PC discovers the star first. When he approaches it he becomes overwhelmed by some kind of essence and falls unconscious for a couple of days. When he comes to, his city is besieged and sacked. he is forced to flee leaving what's left of his life.

I was thinking of making it very much like legend of zelda, where the hero has to travel to certain fanes and restore balance by defeating a bunch of BBEGs in remote temples or dungeons. I want it to be archaeologically fascinating with epic discoveries like somthing from indiana jones or Grandia 1 (One of my favorite PS1 RPGs, I'd recommend anyone to play it.)

I was thinking of making 4 elemental denizens which are modeled after different animals trying to usurp mankind of their hold of the world and crushing them.

I was thinking of making the main BBEG live on the moon...

I know their all very loose notes, but I can't really think of other stuff I can add...

On a side note, I'm also thinking of running the red hand of doom module, I read Saph's campaign log for it, it looks fun and kinda generic (not that generic is bad:smalltongue:) but my players don't like modules after playing the ravenloft module last year... Any other modules worth a look at?

My ex advised me to try rework the pool of radiance module and adjust it to 3.5 but I have had no luck sourcing it let alone finding an already converted module.:smallmad:

Thanks for your time!!
~Nye~:smalltongue:

Rallicus
2012-06-29, 08:52 AM
So um... do you have questions or something? Seems like you jotted this all down just to tell us, since you never asked for feedback or suggestions. Never asked any questions directly, either.

I'll bite regardless.

Your campaign does sound a bit like a OoT/MM mixed with PSX-era JRPGs, which is okay I guess. I probably wouldn't be interested in playing it but I'm incredibly picky when it comes to the sort of campaigns I enjoy.

Also, why would the animal bosses want to destroy the world? Why would their leader be chilling on the moon?

Leshy
2012-06-29, 11:25 AM
Also, why would the animal bosses want to destroy the world? Why would their leader be chilling on the moon?

Exactly.

Everytime I come up with an adventure or campaign idea, I ask myself those kind of questions. Anything that PCs might ask. "Why is this that way? Why do they do that? Why are we chosen to deal with it? What they don't do this instead of that?" Based on the answers I come up with, I re-write those parts of the campaign. I try to fill as many plot holes as possible.