PDA

View Full Version : "Who needs magic when you have SCIENCE!" (PF base class, PEACH, WIP)

Bearpunch
2012-06-29, 02:49 AM
The Tinkerer

An:
this is for a homebrew campaign setting with steampunk qualities, it won't necessarily fit all campaigns. I am trying for a tier 2 or 3 here, and this is my first attempt at homebrew, so I am very sorry for terrible, terrible balancing and lack of creativity. That being said, I hope the Playgrounders will help me bring this thing up to snuff, and use it in their own game!

Some people never had much of an affinity for magic, and they couldn't swing a sword to save their life. What could they do, then? With a sense of adventure still pulsing through their veins, they set out to achieve phenomenal things with man made objects. With the advent of steam power, Tinkerers could create things beyond their dreams beforehand.

Role: Tinkerers sit at an odd spot in combat. They can, if built properly, smash into the hordes of monsters with a Piston Hammer or some other Invention and let the Drones pick off the rest. Alternatively, she can reverse the roles, letting the Drone take the brunt of the assault, while the Tinkerer uses his mounts and other weaponry to stay afar while still participating.

Outside of combat, Tinkerers have a wide range of skills and a decent amount of skill points, as well as several Inventions that have a utility function rather than combat.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Starting Wealth: As Alchemist

Class Skills:

The Tinkerers class skills are Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex),, Knowledge (All) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill ranks per level: 4+Int Modifier

{table=head] Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Other
1|0|2|0|2|Drone, Synchronized, Repair Drone 1d6
2|1|3|0|3|Invention, Mounts, Spitshine Drone +1
3|2|3|1|3|Drone Addition, Repair 2d6
4|3|4|1|4|Invention, Quick construction
5|4|4|1|4|Gunsmith, Drone Addition, Repair 3d6
6|4|5|2|5|Invention, Spitshine Drone +2
7|5|5|2|5|Drone Addition, Repair 4d6
8|6/1|6|2|6|Invention, Swift outfitting
9|6/1|6|3|6|Repair 5d6, Drone Addition
10|7/2|7|3|7|Invention, Spitshine +3, Craft Clockwork
11|8/3|7|3|7|Repair 6d6, Drone Addition
12|9/4|8|4|8|Invention
13|9/4|8|4|8|Repair 7d6, Drone Addition
14|10/5|9|4|9|Invention, Spitshine +4
15|11/6/1|9|5|9|Repair 8d6, Drone Addition
16|12/7/2|10|5|10|Invention
17|12/7/2|10|5|10|Repair 9d6, Drone Addition
18|13/8/3|11|6|11|Invention, Spitshine +5
19|14/9/4|11|6|11|Repair 10d6, Drone Addition
20|15/10/5|12|6|12|Fantastic Invention [/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Tinkerers are proficient with simple weapons and all of the Invention they create, as well as light and medium armor.

Drone:
As a Tinkerer, your drone is your pride and joy, as well as your lifeline. You may choose any type listed in Drone Types at level 1. That choice remains until you dismantle your drone and rebuild it as a new one (400gp) Your drone gains Additions as seen in the table above. Your Drone is considered a Contruct, but it does not gain bonus hit points for its size.

If the Drone is to be destroyed in battle, the Tinkerer can recover the parts and remake it for 400 gp. If the Tinkerer cannot recover the parts necessary to rebuild the Drone, it will cost 1000 gp to make a new one, +100 gp for each addition it had.

Synchronize (Ex): As long as the Tinkerer can speak, and the Drone can hear, she can give her Drone orders. At level 1, the Drone can understand common, plus one additional language that the Tinkerer can speak. It is a move action to give the Drone orders. The Drone will then carry out those orders on its own initiative.

If the Drone cannot hear the Tinkerer, then the Drone does not act. Only the Tinkerer can give the Drone orders (unless one chooses the Multicommand addition).

Repair Drone (Ex): Starting at first level as a full-round action, the Tinkerer can repair her Drone for 1d6 + Int mod damage. The Tinkerer must be close enough to her Drone to conduct repairs. The Drone cannot be repaired through any spell, including Make Whole. If a non-Tinkerer wishes to repair the Drone, he can do so for 1d6 on a successful DC 15 craft (Engineering) check.

For every two levels beyond first, the Tinkerer can repair her drone for one additional 1d6.

Mounts: At 2nd level, a Tinkerer grafts certain mounts onto his body to hold certain Inventions. A Tinkerer has an Arm mount on each arm, one shoulder mount, one back mount, one head mount, and one leg mount. If the Tinkerers mounts are all used up, and she takes an Invention that would fill a used up slot, she can remove the Invention currently attached as a full-round action and carry it around.

Spitshine (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Tinkerer can spitshine his Drone to add a +1/4 class levels (Min 1) to all attacks and saving throws made by the Drone. Sptishining the Drone is a standard action and lasts until the end of the encounter, and must be done within reach of the Drone.

Invention: Starting at second level, and every two levels afterward, the Tinkerer, in her constant experimenting comes across a wonderful idea that she puts into action, called an Invention. Some Inventions are mounts or weapons, while others grant spell-like abilities while some still are Drone-like robots that help with everyday tasks the Tinkerer would find important.

Drone Addition: Starting at 3rd level and every two levels thereafter, the Tinkerer makes an Addition to his Drone, changing its attack properties or improving its health, armor or otherwise.

Quick Construction(Ex): The Tinkerer has learned how to quickly finaggle with all of his constructs, cutting the time required to repair her drone or make any craft checks by half.

Swift Outfitting (Ex): The Tinkerer knows his Mounts like the back of his hand, allowing him to remove/attach and mount in half the normal time.

Craft Clockwork: This ability works as the craft Construct feat, but the Tinkerer can only craft Clockwork Constructs.

Fantastic Invention: Discovering a secret technology no one else could hope to know, the Tinkerer finally reaches what she has hoped to know for so long: true scientific mastery.

I will be posting for Invention, Mount, Additions and Drone Types. I'm really hoping I didn't miss anything. :smalleek:

Bearpunch
2012-06-29, 02:50 AM
Drone Types:

(Note: many drone start with a feat or something similar. They gain the feat, even if the prerequisites aren't met, and it does not count as a feat gained on the Drone Progression chart.

Botserker:
Small Drone
Init: +6 Senses: Low-light Vision.; Perception +1
DEFENSE:
AC: 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+1 Natural, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
HD: d8
Fort: +0, Ref: +2, Will +1
OFFENSE:
Speed 30ft, Climb 15 ft.
Attacks Hand Razors (1d6/18-20/x2)
STATISTICS:
Ability Scores Str 12, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Special Abilities: Rage (as Barbarian, 4 times per day), Improved Initiative

Soldier:
Medium Drone
Init: +1; Senses Low-light vision; perception +1
DEFENSE:
AC: 16, touch 11, flat-footed 15 (+5 Natural, +1 Dex)
Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +0
HD: 1d10
OFFENSE:
Speed 30 ft.
Attacks Sword (1d8/20/x2) or Mace (1d8/20/x2)
STATISTICS:
Ability Scores Str 15, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 5
Special Abilities: Power Attack

Sentinel:
Medium Drone
Init: +0; Perception +1
DEFENSE:
AC: 16, touch 10, flat-footed 16 (+6 natural armor)
Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +0
OFFENSE:
Speed 20 ft
Warhammer (1d10/20/x3) or Greatsword (2d6/19-20/x2)
STATISTICS:
Ability Scores Str 16, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Special Qualities: Toughness

Ocular:
Small Drone
Init: +2; perception +1
DEFENSE:
AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+2 natural armor, +2 Dex, +1 size)
Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +1
OFFENSE:
Speed fly 20 ft
Crossbow, light (1d6/19-20/x2)
STATISTICS:
Ability Scores Str 9, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Special Qualities: Rapid Reload (note, though Ocular does not have hands, it has a reloading mechanism that can fit 20 bolts at a time)

Razorbeak:
Small Drone
Init: +7; Perception +4
DEFENSE:
AC: AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 natural armor, +3 dex)
Fort: +0, Ref +3, Will, +1
HD: 1d6
OFFENSE:
Speed 5 ft, fly 30 ft
Razor tipped Beak (1d4/18-20/x2), Razor Claws (1d4/18-20/x2)
STATISTICS:
Ability Scores Str 14, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Special qualities: Improved Initiative, Skill-focus Perception

Spider:
Small Drone
Init +3; Perception +1
DEFENSE:
AC: 14, touch 13, flat-footed 11 (+1 natural armor)
Fort 0, Ref 3, Will 1,
HD: 1d6
OFFENSE:
Speed 30 ft, climb 30 ft
Bite (1d4/18-20/x2)
STATISTICS:
Ability Scores Str 14, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 3
Special Qualities: Capable of sneak-attacking as a Rogue of one-quarter of the Tinkerers level.

Medic:
Small Drone
Init: +2; Perception +3
DEFENSE:
AC: 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 natural armor)
Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +3
HD: 1d8
OFFENSE:
Speed 30 ft
Warhammer (1d10/20/x3)
STATISTICS:
Ability Scores Str 12, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 16, Cha 4
Special Qualities: Can cast cleric spells as a cleric of one quarter of the Tinkerers level. (Min: level 1)

Blaster:

Any more ideas would be appreciated

Drone Progression
{table=head]Class Level|HD|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats
1|2|1|3|2|0|2|0
2|2|2|3|3|1|3|1
3|3|2|3|3|1|3|2
4|3|3|4|4|1|4|2
5|4|3|4|4|1|4|2
6|5|4|5|4|2|4|3
7|6|4|5|5|2|5|3
8|6|5|5|5|2|5|3
9|7|5|7|6|2|6|4
10|8|6|7|6|3|7|4
11|9|6|8|7|3|8|4
12|9|7|8|7|3|8|5
13|10|7|8|8|3|9|5
14|11|8|9|8|4|10|5
15|12|8|9|8|4|11|6
16|12|9|10|9|4|11|6
17|13|9|10|9|4|12|6
18|14|10|10|9|5|13|7
19|15|10|10|10|5|14|7
20|16|11|10|10|6|15|7[/table]

Bearpunch
2012-06-29, 03:27 AM
Mounts: At 2nd level, a Tinkerer grafts certain mounts onto his body to hold certain Inventions. A Tinkerer has an Arm mount on each arm, one shoulder mount, one back mount, one head mount, and one leg mount. If the Tinkerers mounts are all used up, and she takes an Invention that would fill a used up slot, she can remove the Invention currently attached as a full-round action and carry it around. Weight for Mounts are seen below.

Arm-3lbs
Shoulder-7lbs
Back-10lbs
Head-1lb
Leg-3lbs

Inventions:
{table=head]Invention|Prereqs|Effect
Acid Sprayer (Arm Mount)|-|Using various poisons and deadly chemicals, with a sprinkling of hydrochloric acid for good measure, the Tinkerer has managed to create an arm-mounted weapon that shoots acid at her foes. The acid sprayer is a ranged touch attack that starts as doing 1d6+Dex mod damage, and increases by one die for every five Tinkerer levels. The range is 10/15/20. The sprayer takes up an arm slot and requires 2gp per month in materials to upkeep. The Tinkerers hands remain free, allowing the Tinkerer to hold a weapon or object in his hand.
Drone Familiar|-|The Tinkerer has created a clockwork familiar to follow him around and provide certain benefits to being there. You can choose from a small, steam-powered version of any of the Wizard familiars, and they have the same effects.
Carapace (Back Mount)|Tinkerer 4|With this metal shell that is built onto the Tinkerers' back grants an armor bonus of +1/two class levels. This armor is treated as a natural armor, due to the Tinkerers' familiarity with the metals that make up the carapace.
Conductive gloves|-|Thanks to a thunderstone, the Tinkerer has created a pair of gloves that is designed to shock enemies into submission. On any successful unarmed attack or grapple, the gloves discharge and do 1d10+Int mod shocking damage. The conductive gloves must be recharged with a thunderstone every week, otherwise they act as simple unarmed attacks. This power can be used along with any other unarmed class feature, such as Flurry of Blows, but the gloves replace any damage it might do.
Flamethrower (Arm Mount)|-|As acid sprayer, but fire damage
Shoulder Cannon (Shoulder Mount, Tinkerer 6)| Tinkerer 4|A rather small cannon is built onto the shoulder of the Tinkerer, which must be loaded as a standard action. The attack is a ranged attack. The target takes 5d6 damage, and any creatures within ten feet of target take 1d6 damage. Firing the cannon is a standard action, and the ammunition costs 1gp each. Removing the cannon is a full-round action.
Shoulder Claw (Shoulder Mount)|-|A Shoulder Claw acts as a tertiary hand, it grants a +3 to all craft checks and a +5 to all grapple checks. Other than that, the Claw cannot make attacks, and cannot be used with any other shoulder attachments. Removing the Claw is a full-round action.
Oil Slick (Arm Mount)|Tinkerer 4|As a standard action, a Tinkerer can spray a burst of oil in an enemies face, blinding it for 1 round per 4 Tinkerer levels. The attack is a ranged (5/10/15) touch attack, using the Tinkerers BAB. If the target is hit with a fire attack during the time that the target is blinded and for two rounds afterward, the target takes double damage. Can also be used to add an additional +1 to the Spitshine on your Drone
Chicken Legs|Tinkerer 4|The chicken leg attachment is a brace system on the Tinkerers' legs that grants +10 base land speed
Cricket Legs|Tinkerer 4|Leg attachments that are in the shape of a crickets legs. +4 to jumping checks
Flying Machine|Tinkerer 10|A leg powered machine using a system of propellers and fans that grants flight to those who use it. It only seats one. Costs 9000 gp to build/replace
Night-Vision Spectacles|-|Goggles that grant darkvision up to 120 ft
Automotive Caravan|Tinkerer 8|A caravan that runs on steam power. Can seat four. Has a base land speed of 50 ft. 5gp a week to upkeep and 1000 gp to build/replace
Timekeeper|-|A series of complex sundials and doo-hickeys that show the exact time on one's wrist, divided by twenty-four hours. Some like to call it a “wristwatch” because you watch your wrist to tell the time
Ray gun|Tinkerer 6|A gun that shoots rays of heat made with special Heatarizer ™ materials. Ammo is 10 sp each (capacity 4), ranged touch attack, 2d6 damage, +2 weapon.
Piston Hammer|Tinkerer 6|A melee weapon (1d10/20/x2 bashing damage) that can release a piston attack once per day to deal an extra 2d10 damage. This can be stacked with a critical hit. The hammer costs 2gp to upkeep and 300gp to rebuild if lost or destroyed.
Steam-powered monocycle|-|60ft land speed, 5gp for upkeep, 500 to build/replace
Detonator|Tinkerer 4|Works as the Detonate spell, but instead of the explosion starting on you, you designate where you place that bomb as a standard action. It then takes a minor action to place, which starts the timer. You can plant this bomb 1/four tinkerer levels per day. Your caster level in this instance is your Tinkerer level.

[/table]

Please, any more Inventions would be greatly appreciated.

Bearpunch
2012-06-29, 03:37 AM
Drone Additions:

* denotes an additional +1 gp to drone upkeep

{table=head]Addition||Prereqs|Effect
Radar*|-|At-Will Detect Life 30 feet
Mulitcommand|-|Tinkerers allies can command Drone
Dragons Breath*|Tinkerer 9|As Dragons Breath spell, breath type is chosen at the beginning of the day, 1/day 4 class levels
Gun attachment|Tinkerer 5|Attach a Revolver to Drone, treated as proficient
Jet Boosters*|Non-flying Drone|Fly for 1 minute/4 Tinkerer levels (speed 20ft)
Cryo-coating*|-|Weapon deals Cold Damage
Dragon oil*|-|Changes damage to fire
Conduit attachment*|-|Changes damage to electric
Net Cannon*|Tinkerer 5|Drone can be loaded with a net and fired. 1/day
Speed Augment*|-|Increases Drone speed by 10ft
Poison darts|Tinkerer 5|4 darts can be loaded, any poison can be used
Armor Upgrade|-|+2 natural armor
Strength Upgrade|Tinkerer 5|+4 str
Armor Spikes|-|As Armor Spikes
Weapon Augment|Tinkerer 5|Increases attack damage to d10
Bite Augment|Spider Drone, Dog Drone, Orb Drone|Drone gains a d4 bite attack
Wall climbing*|Any drone other than Spider|+2 climb checks for drone
360 Movement*|Tinkerer 5|Cannot be flanked
Rocket Fist*|Drone must have fists or hand-like limbs|Ranged Bashing attack that does 2d6 damage, must be reattached every time it is fired. Can be taken twice, once for each fist.
Storage Compartment|-|Carrying capacity increased by 25/50/75
Lockpick Attachment|-|+3 to disable device checks made to pick locks, may assist other PCs in picking[/table]

Morph Bark
2012-06-29, 05:52 AM
I think for the Drones it would be better to just make a little statblock like for monsters, especially since as of now you haven't included their HD and HP, saves, etc.

Also, granting Drone Additions more (also at later levels, I mean) would be a good idea. From just a look at the table alone, the later 10 levels seem kinda empty. Maybe at level 11, 15 and 19 as well?

Bearpunch
2012-06-29, 12:18 PM
Statblocks do make a little more sense than going by my convoluted scheme. It also allows a little more variation in the Drones.

More additions to the Drone would be nice. Everyone likes nice things. I'll fix some things up real quick.

EDIT: Whoa, looking over my table, I noticed that I left out a lot after level ten. Whoops. The table as-is now is what it is supposed to be. That's what I get for posting in the wee hours of the morning.

Bearpunch
2012-07-04, 10:36 PM
I fixed some stuff and started Drone stat blocks.

Also shameless bump.

Wavelab
2012-07-05, 05:15 AM
Why not make Inventions like Acid Sprayer and Flame Thrower follow the same progression for that Repair follows? This allows it to be viable at higher levels so he doesn't have to solely rely on his drone.

Starting at first level as a full-round action, the Tinkerer can repair her Drone for 1d6 + Int mod damage. She can repair her drone for a full-round action.

You're repeating yourself there. I'd suggest taking the second sentence away.

This class looks like it can be Tier 3. I'm not an expert but if the drones can stand up in a fight it would work.

Bearpunch
2012-07-05, 02:59 PM
Why not make Inventions like Acid Sprayer and Flame Thrower follow the same progression for that Repair follows? This allows it to be viable at higher levels so he doesn't have to solely rely on his drone.

You're repeating yourself there. I'd suggest taking the second sentence away.

This class looks like it can be Tier 3. I'm not an expert but if the drones can stand up in a fight it would work.

Yeah, I made it so the sprayers increase damage by one die every five levels.

yeah, fixed that. It was described differently in my original word document and forgot to take it out.

Ilorin Lorati
2012-07-05, 10:58 PM
How exactly do the drone work? Are they considered animal companions, do they require an action to use, etc? Does Multicommand have limitations?

As written it can do some pretty terrible things to the action economy if it doesn't have a limitation, depending on how "commanding" them works. Without limitation, everyone in the party would basically gain another companion.

Bearpunch
2012-07-06, 07:18 PM
Commanding the Drone is a move action, and Multicommand allows another party member to order the Drone, as long as the Drone and party member know the same language. Come to think of it, that might be a problem. Any suggestions?

Ilorin Lorati
2012-07-06, 07:49 PM
It really depends what commanding the drone entails. For instance, in combat would you only command it once to attack a particular target and it would do its thing until you command otherwise, or would you command it every round to attack?

They have init scores, which means they have their own place in the combat order and thus their own actions. When you command a drone, does it do what you commanded it as an immediate action, or does it wait until its turn?

I assume you modeled drones after animal companions, so I guess you meant for these commands to be a rough analog to tricks. Once you figure if that's actually the case, it should be much easier to figure out what you want to do.

As a few examples, if you want it to be commanded out of its turn to do something in its turn, don't limit it; only have the most recent command (or the owner's command) apply when it makes its next turn. If you want it to have commanded stuff happen as immediate actions by the drone, give a list of things it can be commanded to do, and only allow one of those to apply every round to limit power increase.

Edit: Also, Pathfinder ties PC HD size to their BAB. If the tinker is meant to be 3/4 BAB, their HD should be d8. If they're meant to be d6 HD, they should be 1/2 BAB. Since you gave an example that had them in melee, I'd go with the former.

Bearpunch
2012-07-06, 08:10 PM
Its commanded on the Tinkerers turn (or others, with multicommand),but acts on its own initiative.

I will fix the HD.

As for how it is set up like an animal companion, that just seemed to be the easiest and most sensible thing to do, I dont want them to necessarily have tricks.

Ilorin Lorati
2012-07-07, 02:57 PM
Its commanded on the Tinkerers turn (or others, with multicommand),but acts on its own initiative.

I will fix the HD.

As for how it is set up like an animal companion, that just seemed to be the easiest and most sensible thing to do, I dont want them to necessarily have tricks.

If it only acts on its own initiative, then nothing needs to be done aside from making sure the description is clear.

zegram 33
2012-07-07, 04:27 PM
personally, i'd remove the upkeep cost. its flavourful, but not bloody annoying bookeeping-wise, whilst not really significant at any level.

other than that, looks very cool
my only other thought is: for the flying machine and monowheel inventions: where the heck do you STORE that when its not in use?
what if you made them a back mounted invention, like a sort of transformable backpack, with say a standard action to remove and a standard action to reconfigure?
as is it seems to have VERY specific uses

Warpwolf16
2012-07-07, 05:11 PM
This reminds me of the old Mage vs. Machine article from ADnD, mind if I suggest a few drones to add some exotic taste? Possibly a small psionic one that can manifest minor powers mostly energy ray and possibly vigor so its a support drone with minor offensive. Another idea would be a drone that mimics arcane magic or even divine if that suits your taste. How about one that mimics its creator? Like a homoculus but is the paragon of the science he knows so far, sort of a bio-engineering experiment.

Bearpunch
2012-07-08, 03:20 PM
personally, i'd remove the upkeep cost. its flavourful, but not bloody annoying bookeeping-wise, whilst not really significant at any level.

eh, good point. I just like to bother my players with little details they always forget. I'll remove it.

my only other thought is: for the flying machine and monowheel inventions: where the heck do you STORE that when its not in use?
what if you made them a back mounted invention, like a sort of transformable backpack, with say a standard action to remove and a standard action to reconfigure?
as is it seems to have VERY specific uses

:smalleek:
... I never once thought about it. I think I may make so they are able to be taken apart and stored when not in use. Maybe a full-round action or two to put back together.

This reminds me of the old Mage vs. Machine article from ADnD, mind if I suggest a few drones to add some exotic taste? Possibly a small psionic one that can manifest minor powers mostly energy ray and possibly vigor so its a support drone with minor offensive. Another idea would be a drone that mimics arcane magic or even divine if that suits your taste. How about one that mimics its creator? Like a homoculus but is the paragon of the science he knows so far, sort of a bio-engineering experiment.

The psionic one I don't think fits in with the flavor of the class, but I like the concept.
One that mimics arcane or divine might work. Specifically a medic drone that can use cure "___" wounds so many time per day. I like it.
I think the homunculus thing would work for a fantastic invention, for sure, but I don't know about a standard drone. I feel it would be "too sci-fi" unless you couldnt get it until a later level (say, 20).

Warpwolf16
2012-07-08, 04:04 PM
I usually approached psionic as a pseudo-science and the power points thing always represented their energy reserve so as the drone uses its power point pool to pop out powers it weakens its own defenses. Though your idea of a heal drone is a good idea, how about one to aid in crafting? Possibly make the form match the craft skill.One the note of the to 'sci-fi' it would be science, I'm not saying it would be perfect, make it horribly flawed and unstable so theirs a chance if it was chosen as a drone or invention it has a chance of decomposition and will fall apart. Also it could act as a external mount for inventions. I can see how your saying its a little advanced though, most fantasy settings don't deal with bio-engineering or the advanced sciences well unless its dark sun.

This does remind me of the Engineer class from Hellgate: London, you got drones you could equip with guns and upgrades. If you haven't played the game go on youtube and look it up, the Engineer class acts as a support and heavy fire user.

Bearpunch
2012-07-20, 03:15 PM
Made the Medic drone, as well as a few others. I haven't been able to work on this much lately, so I apologize. If anyone is interested in helping me, some ideas for fantastic inventions would be great.

Morph Bark
2012-07-22, 09:16 AM
The piston hammer and steam-powered monocycle mention upkeep costs, but don't mention the time period this applies to (per week, per month, per day?).

What creature type are the Drones? They have Con scores, so they aren't Constructs, unless they are Living Constructs like Warforged, which would mean they are incredibly advanced, since Warforged are only created by a Colossal-sized Artifact.

What does Fantastic Invention do?

Bearpunch
2012-07-23, 11:11 PM
Upkeep is something I am removing, but haven't had the time to actually remove. My internet access is spotty at best lately, so I just haven't had the time to finish this class. For the record, I believe all inventions, if there was an upkeep cost, was per-week.

As for what exactly to consider the Drones, I have been thinking of simply making a new type of creature, but that would likely require a lot of effort. Living constructs, or something similar is another option, but I don't like calling them constructs because the hp they gain based on size is too much and the lack of con bonus to hit die basically makes them useless when compared to an animal companion.

Fantastic Invention is a special invention received at level twenty. Its much like an alchemists grand discovery. My only problem being I cant think of a good Fantastic Invention without it becoming too fantastic, or too impractical.

I've been considering a flying castle, an at-will teleport, a nuke-like attack, and many other things, but the mechanics is still something I am sorting out.

I hate to admit it, but this class, because of my lack of internet, and struggling with certain mechanics. will likely not be completed for a while. I apologize.