PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Spell Questions

GutterFace
2012-06-29, 07:56 AM
With arcane Dilletante(sp) can i Investiture spells from the Fiendish Codex as well?

since i use them like a spell like ability and not as the spell per se does the [Evil] tag effect me as well or not?

strider24seven
2012-06-29, 07:57 AM
Are they Sorcerer/Wizard spells? Yes.

Does the [Evil] tag affect Factota casting Sorc/Wiz Spells? No.

GutterFace
2012-06-29, 08:21 AM
thank you!

Rubik
2012-06-29, 01:48 PM
Are they Sorcerer/Wizard spells? Yes.

Does the [Evil] tag affect Factota casting Sorc/Wiz Spells? No.Actually, factota aren't spellcasters.

Factotums, however, don't have any problems.

strider24seven
2012-06-29, 02:03 PM
Factota is technically the proper plural.

Factotum is a 2nd declension, neuter Latin noun meaning "one who does everything." Technically it's a bastardization, but when they jammed the imperiative of facere together with totum in the 13th century (earliest recorded use of the term), but the Latin plural stuck.

Rubik
2012-06-29, 02:25 PM

Factotum is a 2nd declension, neuter Latin noun meaning "one who does everything." Technically it's a bastardization, but when they jammed the imperiative of facere together with totum in the 13th century (earliest recorded use of the term), but the Latin plural stuck.Except the specific use in this case (the factotum class) is pluralized 'factotums,' according to the sourcebook it's from.

It's like the fact that there is no such thing as a 'maneouvre' in Tome of Battle, regardless of whether or not it's considered proper spelling in various English language variants.

strider24seven
2012-06-29, 02:44 PM
And here I will say:
WotC is wrong.
Sorry... 8 years of Latin in grade school will do that to a person.

But I concede to your point if it's referenced in Dungeonscape.

candycorn
2012-06-30, 12:21 AM
And here I will say:
WotC is wrong.
Sorry... 8 years of Latin in grade school will do that to a person.

But I concede to your point if it's referenced in Dungeonscape.

You can't really say they're "wrong" with a name. It's like telling a mom that they spelled "Aimee" wrong. You can say that they're not following the latin root that it's based on... But wrong?

On a side note: While a factotum isn't barred from casting spells or using SLA's with the [Evil] descriptor, the act of doing so is still an Evil act, so that's something to keep in mind.

LadyLexi
2012-06-30, 09:40 AM
The question I have that is close to this, for sanctified/corruption spells, if they can prepare them at all, do they pay the sacrifice costs involved?

Curmudgeon
2012-06-30, 10:57 AM
The question I have that is close to this, for sanctified/corruption spells, if they can prepare them at all, do they pay the sacrifice costs involved?
Oh, absolutely. SLAs have a list of specific spell particulars that are waived; everything else "works just like the spell of that name".
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A few spell-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The Factotum doesn't get to waive all of the usual stuff by having SLAs instead of spells.
You cannot use spells that require an XP cost. You must otherwise provide the necessary material components as normal. So only the verbal, somatic, and focus requirements are omitted; everything else remains.

Lateral
2012-06-30, 11:10 AM

In Latin, yes. In English, the (http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/factotum) plural (http://stason.org/TULARC/languages/english-usage/54-Plurals-of-Latin-Greek-words-Usage-disputes-alt-usage.html) is (http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-cobuild/factotum) Factotums. (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/factotum) Inconsistent? Yes. It's similar to how the English plural of octopus is (supposed to be) octopuses, even though directly from Greek, the plural would be octopodes.

Tvtyrant
2012-06-30, 12:41 PM
...I use octopi. :smallredface:

Rubik
2012-06-30, 12:51 PM
...I use octopi. :smallredface:I don't think anyone here needed to know that. TMI, dude. TMI. :smallamused: