PDA

View Full Version : Text Formating buttons not working

Yora
2012-06-29, 11:47 AM
The buttons for text formating and smilies don't work for me. They are simply not clickable and appear to be just plain images.
Works on other forums, so I suspect it's not my computer acting up strangely.

Zherog
2012-06-29, 12:07 PM
Testing...

:smallamused: :smallmad: :biggrin:

This is bold

All of it seems to works for me. What browser (and browser version), and what OS?

edit: Also, I do recommend clearing your cache, even if you think the problem isn't on your end. It never hurts, and resolves so many bizarre browser based issues...

Yora
2012-06-29, 12:33 PM
Strange, sometimes it works, but then later it stops working again.

Firefox 13 on Fedora 17.
Until today, I never noticed this error. I did restart my computer.

Rawhide
2012-06-29, 06:41 PM
Strange, sometimes it works, but then later it stops working again.

Firefox 13 on Fedora 17.
Until today, I never noticed this error. I did restart my computer.

Have you tried clearing your cache?

Yora
2012-06-30, 06:32 AM
Here's the deal:

Deleting Cache and refreshing the page does work. I do get back control over the buttons. However, it only works once and the next time I make or edit a post, the problem is back again. Deleting chance again works again, but that's not a practical solution if I have to do it every one or two posts. :smallamused:

DeusMortuusEst
2012-06-30, 07:11 AM
Same problem here, using firefox 12.0, windows 7

Formatting stopped working between two posts, didn't visit any other webpage between the two (went to another thread on the forum). Cleared the cache and now it's working.

Anyone else, not using firefox having the same issue?

I'll switch to a mac/chrome setting for a while and see if I get the same error there.

EDIT: Tried to edit this post right now, and the formatting buttons stopped working again. Something strange seems to happen when I post.

EDIT the second: Disabling cache entirely seems to do the trick as well :smallsmile:

Grif
2012-06-30, 08:03 AM
Same problem here, using firefox 12.0, windows 7

Formatting stopped working between two posts, didn't visit any other webpage between the two (went to another thread on the forum). Cleared the cache and now it's working.

Anyone else, not using firefox having the same issue?

I'll switch to a mac/chrome setting for a while and see if I get the same error there.

EDIT: Tried to edit this post right now, and the formatting buttons stopped working again. Something strange seems to happen when I post.

EDIT the second: Disabling cache entirely seems to do the trick as well :smallsmile:
Chrome/W7 Premium here.

Same problem popping up intermittently.

Rawhide
2012-06-30, 08:05 AM
Are you having the same problem on http://alt.giantitp.com?

Grif
2012-06-30, 08:19 AM
It seems to work here. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Edits works as well.

Rawhide
2012-06-30, 08:42 AM

Here being?

Grif
2012-06-30, 11:32 AM

http://alt.giantitp.com

Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

TuggyNE
2012-06-30, 05:05 PM
Regular hasn't been working (I get assorted Javascript errors from http://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/nexp/aav=3029832572/cloudflare.min.js), but alt is fine.

Rawhide
2012-06-30, 06:44 PM
The minify settings were disabled a long time ago, and all cached copies of JavaScript files were purged, so you should no longer be receiving the errors. Before I lodge a support ticket, I want to make sure you all clear your cache, then let me know if it still keeps happening.

Strawberries
2012-07-01, 02:50 PM
I'm having the same problem here. I'm using Firefox with Windows 7 (and have cleared my chache)

EDIT: No, I take it back. It is working, just not every time (and I don't understand if there is a specific event triggering the problem). Odd, that.

On http://alt.giantitp.com everything works fine.

TuggyNE
2012-07-02, 05:12 AM
The minify settings were disabled a long time ago, and all cached copies of JavaScript files were purged, so you should no longer be receiving the errors. Before I lodge a support ticket, I want to make sure you all clear your cache, then let me know if it still keeps happening.

Just cleared cache on the reply page, but the rich-text editor still doesn't function, and gives the same errors [Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1].

Error: vB_Editor is not defined
Source file: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=13478915
Line: 1
Error: invalid 'in' operand b
Source file: http://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/nexp/aav=3029832572/cloudflare.min.js
Line: 15

Grif
2012-07-02, 09:45 AM
I'm having the same problem here. I'm using Firefox with Windows 7 (and have cleared my chache)

EDIT: No, I take it back. It is working, just not every time (and I don't understand if there is a specific event triggering the problem). Odd, that.

On http://alt.giantitp.com everything works fine.

Aye. It seems to work one moment, only to turn back into images the next. I wonder what could be triggering this.

smuchmuch
2012-07-02, 11:10 AM
Having the same problem. Using firefox. As far as I know clearing the cache changes nothing.

I found one way to clear it is just to preview the post since it'll reload the edition/posting page and the buttons/menus will likely work again;

Castaras
2012-07-02, 12:06 PM
Wasn't working for me, until I allowed "Cloudflare.com" to run scripts. then it worked fine.

Running Chrome with NotScripts

TuggyNE
2012-07-02, 09:20 PM
Wasn't working for me, until I allowed "Cloudflare.com" to run scripts. then it worked fine.

Running Chrome with NotScripts

I had the bright idea to try it in Firefox's Safe Mode, and on another profile. Safe Mode changes nothing, but a different profile (which also uses Adblock Plus and NoScript) works fine. Clearing cache and cookies has no effect. :confused:

Fakeedit: By a strange chance I found a single about:config setting that appears to fix the problem. Setting dom.storage.enabled to its default of True makes it work. How that got changed, I don't know... why that would cause apparent syntax errors, I don't know either. Anyway, anyone on Firefox should try that.

Yora
2012-07-03, 05:08 AM
New Discovery: When the buttons are out, keyboard-shortcuts like Ctrl+B don't work either.

Snowbody
2012-07-03, 08:24 AM
The buttons and the keyboard shortcuts are both handled by the same JavaScript code. It used to be hosted on giantitp.com and now it's hosted on Cloudflare. You need to make sure that your browser is allowed to load and run scripts from Cloudflare when you're trying to post. (Some adblocking or scriptblocking extensions block scripts from third-party sites from running.)

Snowbody
2012-07-03, 10:03 AM
Okay, it happened to me, too. I have Cloudflare listed as enabled, but some of the time the Javascript fails to load, and the buttons don't work when composing, and clicking on the popup menus ("Search", "Quick Links", and the user names) doesn't bring up the appropriate menu.

Elder Tsofu
2012-07-03, 11:33 AM
Well I suppose reporting not to have a problem might be of worth, if nothing else to fence in where the problems occur. I've not noticed anything up till now and when testing out buttons, short-cuts, quick-menus.

Running Opera 12.00 32bit on windows 7 32bit in Sweden. No browser add-ons except an avast web-site reputation extension.

Loki_42
2012-07-03, 04:46 PM
I am having a similar problem. I'm running Firefox with Noscript, and the text-formatting wasn't working until I allowed all scripts permanently on the site. After that, everytime I tried to go onto the site, I got a major slowdown and a message that said the "Cloudflare" script was slow to respond with a prompt to stop the script. The problem stopped after I switched to alt.giantitp.com.

Snowbody
2012-07-03, 08:55 PM
It looks like the javascript files hosted at Cloudflare aren't being cached properly and they're being re-requested each time. If Cloudflare has a hiccup, the buttons, menus, etc. don't work.

Rawhide
2012-07-03, 09:41 PM
Ok, keep the information coming please. I'm officially classifying this problem as important but non-critical. That means that it is still a high priority and will be dealt with as soon as possible, but as it does not drastically slow down access to the site, prohibit access to the site, or considerably reduce site functionality (and the alt site appears to work as a workaround), it is not reason enough to switch off the CDN or panic.

Please continue to use the non-alt site as much as possible and report your experience and findings.

Siosilvar
2012-07-03, 11:41 PM
For what it's worth, I had the same experience as Castaras. Buttons (and shortcuts) didn't work, then I allowed scripts from cloudflare, and everything's been working fine since.

Firefox 13 on Win7 with NoScript.

Zale
2012-07-04, 05:50 PM
Yeah.

If I allow Cloudflare, the buttons work.. but I keep having errors that freeze up Firefox. If I disallow Cloudflare, they go away, but the buttons no longer work.

Strawberries
2012-07-04, 05:53 PM
Yeah.

If I allow Cloudflare, the buttons work.. but I keep having errors that freeze up Firefox. If I disallow Cloudflare, they go away, but the buttons no longer work.

Odd, on the same configuration (Firefox with Noscript and Windows 7), that's not what happens to me at all. Cloudflare is always allowed for me, it's just that the buttons sometimes work and sometimes don't. No other strange errors as far as I can see, and Firefox works otherwise fine.

Mono Vertigo
2012-07-05, 06:32 AM
Happened to me. I have Chrome.
It went away when I clicked "preview post". Since then, the buttons are working normally again. See?

Loki_42
2012-07-05, 09:29 AM
It seems to have stopped for me, although the forum still seems to slow down like it did before it would pop up the script not working message.

ThePhantasm
2012-07-05, 11:44 AM
This is happening to me too in Firefox. Emoticons not functioning properly. When I click "more" in the smilies box no window opens. The only thing I've changed recently is I updated Firefox to 13.0.1.

EDIT: Sometimes if I go back and edit the post, it works. :smallyuk: :smallconfused: :smallredface: :smallannoyed: :smallbiggrin:

Didn't clear my cache or anything so it seems to work or fail almost at random.

Rawhide
2012-07-05, 07:40 PM
I've tweaked the settings a bit and purged the cache. Please report back on if anything changes.

TuggyNE
2012-07-05, 08:17 PM
Everyone having this problem in Firefox should check dom.storage.enabled in about:config, and see if setting it to True helps matters.

ThePhantasm
2012-07-06, 06:01 AM
I've tweaked the settings a bit and purged the cache. Please report back on if anything changes.

:smallwink::smallbiggrin::smalltongue::smalleek:

Bold Italic

Something must have helped because as of right now the buttons are working for me. I'll let you know if they stop again.

Strawberries
2012-07-06, 06:32 AM
:smallsmile::smallbiggrin::smallwink::smallcool:

It's been working without hiccups for a while for me, too. I'll let you know as well if it starts acting funny again.

Rawhide
2012-07-06, 07:23 AM
Thanks!

Can everyone who has been having troubles please clean their cache, use only the non-alt site, and report your issues or non-issues?