PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Random rolled dungeon generator?

SolarSystem
2012-06-29, 01:44 PM
Way back when there used to be a series of tables for randomly rolling dungeons in an appendix.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything similar with tables more relevant to 3.5 (or even just 3.0)

DMG has some okay tables for the encounters, but you've got to draw the dungeon map yourself ahead of time.

I want a full set of tables for a fully randomized dungeon (which of course will likely need a few modifications for playability, but I'd keep those to a minimum)

And I'm not interested in just using one of those dozens of apps that randomly generate a full dungeon.

Zubrowka74
2012-06-29, 01:48 PM
And I'm not interested in just using one of those dozens of apps that randomly generate a full dungeon.

Why not ? Are you just looking for the reference ?

Sgt. Cookie
2012-06-29, 01:51 PM
Mythweavers has a random dungeon generator.

SolarSystem
2012-06-29, 02:12 PM
Mythweavers has a random dungeon generator.

I am looking for random dungeon TABLES. Like Roll dice, look on table, see what kind of room you get.

Myth weavers is one of those full-dungeon generators I specifically mentioned I have no interest in using.

Why not ? Are you just looking for the reference ?
What reference?

What I'm looking for is basically randomly generating the dungeon "live". I suppose I could just make up my own tables. I was just hoping there'd be an existing resource at this point.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-06-29, 02:56 PM
Sorry, didn't see that. I am (Well was) however working on one of those, roll a dice, get a room, kind of things. I'll get back round to it and send you a copy, if you want.

White_Drake
2012-06-29, 02:58 PM
You're talking about the tables in the second edition Dungeon Master's Guide, correct?

whibla
2012-06-29, 03:54 PM
You're talking about the tables in the second edition Dungeon Master's Guide, correct?

Must have missed the ones in the 2nd ed. DMG. I thought he was talking about the random dungeon generation tables starting on page 169 of the AD&D DMG (maybe it was the "way back when" :smallwink:)

Since those tables didn't deal with specific monsters, only referred you to, for example, "Monster only: (determine an appropriate table from ... random monster encounters..)" I'd think you could just lift those tables wholesale and use them in 3.5, which in combination with the tables on page 65 and 66 (fixtures and furnishings), the trap listings on pages 70 to 74 (and the table on page 82), and the random monster listings on pages 79 to 81 of the 3.5 DMG, should give you the original map generator, but with 3.5 monsters and encounters.

I did occasionally use those tables 'way back when', and tbh they were almost more trouble than they were worth. Definitely not something I'd really want to use in game. Better than nothing, for sure, if all you want is a room by room dungeon crawl, but they're no substitute for pre-planning.

Moak
2012-06-29, 04:16 PM
Wasn't there tables to generate dungeons on the 3.0 DMG?

I'm pretty sure there were table to fill rooms with monster/boss/trap/treasure/nothing.

But I don't remember if there were any table to roll for corridors/rooms etc.

I used Advanced Heroquest a couple of time to completaly build a random dungeon during a one-shot

SolarSystem
2012-06-29, 05:05 PM
Must have missed the ones in the 2nd ed. DMG. I thought he was talking about the random dungeon generation tables starting on page 169 of the AD&D DMG (maybe it was the "way back when" :smallwink:)

Since those tables didn't deal with specific monsters, only referred you to, for example, "Monster only: (determine an appropriate table from ... random monster encounters..)" I'd think you could just lift those tables wholesale and use them in 3.5, which in combination with the tables on page 65 and 66 (fixtures and furnishings), the trap listings on pages 70 to 74 (and the table on page 82), and the random monster listings on pages 79 to 81 of the 3.5 DMG, should give you the original map generator, but with 3.5 monsters and encounters.

I did occasionally use those tables 'way back when', and tbh they were almost more trouble than they were worth. Definitely not something I'd really want to use in game. Better than nothing, for sure, if all you want is a room by room dungeon crawl, but they're no substitute for pre-planning.

I can't remember where the tables were, to be honest. Only that I was looking at them at some point in the past in some old DMG. I don't own it and can't lift the tables directly. (I suppose I can try finding it online somewhere.)

White_Drake
2012-06-29, 11:34 PM
I found this (http://arthur.jfmi.net/m20/rnddgn/random_dungeon.pdf), although it is admittedly rather pathetic; you could probably make tables just as good or better yourself.

SolarSystem
2012-06-29, 11:51 PM
it is admittedly rather pathetic; you could probably make tables just as good or better yourself.

Agreed, but it is a base to start from. Thanks.