PDA

View Full Version : The Big One-Campagin Log

Pages : 1 [2]

The Bandicoot
2013-02-18, 03:24 PM
I have been following and reading every single campaign log you have posted and I have to say your group is one of the most brilliant I have ever seen. My condolences on loss of your friend.

Kaveman26
2013-02-18, 04:35 PM
I have been following and reading every single campaign log you have posted and I have to say your group is one of the most brilliant I have ever seen. My condolences on loss of your friend.

...Oh. I'm so sorry.

Thank you for the condolences.

I will honestly say that sharing our experiences has been a joy. I have played with the same core group of 7-8 people for a period bordering on 20 years now. After lurking the boards and seeing so many stories of railroaded plots, spontanous and vengeful DM's and just remarkably goofy solutions (that often led to TPK's)etc, I sat down one day and decided "I want to show people the twisted ways we dealt with much of the same"

My Personal Favorite Gaming Moments:

1.Kemen summoning the Hound Archon to assist us in the quest that he sent us to do in his place.

2.Turning the tapestry upside down and letting whatever comes out tumble down into a well.

3. Burrowing through the side of a mountain to create a hiding spot for our hovering ship.

4. Our half-giant using his fictional "drop the soap" moment to cover for our halfling rogues injuries during Calimshaw. It was an out of nowhere moment that was remarkably funny at that time and much later.

5. Throwing pies at the evil gnome Overlord Knobhin and drenching him in drow blood to force his drug addled vampire captains to tear him apart.

Those were the kind of things that made me spent countless hours writing hundreds of pages that combined prose/narration, and had me sifting through box after box of character sheets and adventure notes. Its been a blast.

Silverbit
2013-02-18, 05:32 PM
Good lord, this is truly, truly the best campaign log I've read. It should be stickied or something.

Sorry about your friend.

Axinian
2013-02-18, 07:33 PM
Uh oh. Does this mean there are no more logs to go through? Its been a blast reading these. They really are monuments to gaming.

I've saif this before and Ill say it again, you should try to get a stickied thread with links to these in it, so they arent lost. Ill make it if no one else does

Averis Vol
2013-02-18, 09:07 PM
Bravo Kaveman, that, and all your campaign recaps, are by far the best piece of DnD literature I have ever read. I second (third, fourth...fifth maybe?) the idea of getting these stickied. I have read the silverclawshift recaps everyone's so fond of and I'm sure yours top it by far. Thank you for dedicating so much time to our collective entertainment, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we all appreciate it.

Doorhandle
2013-02-19, 12:12 AM
Good lord, this is truly, truly the best campaign log I've read. It should be stickied or something.

Sorry about your friend.

Maybe their should be a thread with every campaign log on this website, and sticky that instead.

Kavemans' work should go at the top, of course, but there are still many other logs worth remembering.

Kudos for his work.

Deepbluediver
2013-02-19, 12:36 AM
Bray-vo! :smalltongue:
Go ahead and take a bow.

/slowclap

juicycaboose
2013-02-19, 01:08 AM
Absolutely fantastic! I'm happy/sad that it's finally over :smallfrown:

Daftendirekt
2013-02-19, 06:25 AM
*joins in the applause*

Well done, sir. Well done.

GeriSch
2013-02-19, 09:20 AM
After reading all of your campaign logs, there's nothing more to say than kudos.

gr,
Geri

SympathyBot
2013-02-19, 01:54 PM
I have really enjoyed reading this! Thanks a lot

Saurus
2013-02-19, 02:02 PM
I would also like to join in the applause. Bravo, Kaveman! A standing ovation to you and yours! I am genuinely moved by the emotions you've put into writing all of this.

evildmguy
2013-02-19, 03:09 PM
Thanks for sharing your notes.

I'm also sorry for your loss. I think that sharing them has been a great tribute to the player of Coe-nan.

edg

Amidus Drexel
2013-02-19, 04:31 PM
*applauds*

A fittingly climactic end to the story.

I'll repeat the motion to get this "stickied".

Force2Reckon
2013-02-19, 07:51 PM
3 and a half days of reading, totally worth it, after reading SilverClaw I've been looking into these "Campaign Logs" and have found some interesting ones, but yours are definitely at least as good as SilverClaw's great log!

On another note it's dreadful to hear about Coe-Nan (the player) passing away, I've only had elderly family pass away, which is sad, but I really didn't know them, I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a friend that close to you.

No offense to anyone else but Snickle was my favorite character... It is exactly the kind of halfling/gnome rogue I play :), without hamstringing my companions... usually.

Asmayus
2013-02-20, 07:35 AM
Sorry about your friend :(

That was an awesome tale, I really enjoyed it.

Kaveman26
2013-02-20, 08:41 AM
No offense to anyone else but Snickle was my favorite character... It is exactly the kind of halfling/gnome rogue I play :), without hamstringing my companions... usually.

I often thought of him as the halfling parallel to Mudd from Star Trek and to a lesser extent kender in general. I'm not sure he counts as a villian/antagonist but he was definately one of the most polarizing NPC's we ran into.

Maybe their should be a thread with every campaign log on this website, and sticky that instead.

This is an idea I could get behind. I know Morghen has posted some darn good stuff and so has coffeeincluded.

Kaveman26
2013-02-20, 10:10 AM
Notes:

The Pantheons:

So the pantheons and assassination of deities plays a large role in events at the end. I wanted to share our DM's thoughts on why and how he structured events in the way he did. Basically as opposed to Order of the Stick where different groups carve out territories, he envisioned a cyclical wheel of gods revolving in and out. As time passed a new pantheon would emerge from the mortal plane and replace the faded deities as they fell from their end of days.
Had we played for another 7-8 thousand years in game we would have seen Zeus, Appolo, Hades etc rise to prominence and Odin and company fall. speaking of gods...
The Parrot:

No I will not reveal the Parrot's origins. The DM gave me a basic summation but his "backstory" will not be revealed. For story purposes...the dread parrot roberts grew far beyond its intention. Over the top mind boggling power was always inherent. It accidentally becoming a deity was more an evolution as opposed to intentional design.
Random Thoughts:

I loved the thought process put into the Horns. The twist of "rigging the game" was just a cool design.

The evolution of the god-children was surprisingly effective. We grew attached to them in short order.

Cinhill Rue was to be stolen from us. As the Asgardian's fully left the Material Plane they were taking the citadel with them as a new palace in the heavens.

Our Odin granted boons never got used to any extent in game. I was definately planning a list of "conquests" to open up my shapechanging ability. Paddock was very much looking forward to summoning inevitables.

All told we played maybe 45 out of 52 saturdays each year for 3-5 years. Some weeks it was Magic the Gathering or various board games, but D&D/Pathfinder were staples for the longest time. this was absolutely the longest campaign ever run. As i said at the onset this was also the group of characters we had the most fun with.

Silent One/Chulainn was a trooper with his inability to speak. He made the moments when he got to talk feel memorable and special.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-20, 10:56 AM
This is an idea I could get behind. I know Morghen has posted some darn good stuff and so has coffeeincluded.

I have? ...Thank you. I really should get back to that...

Force2Reckon
2013-02-22, 12:17 AM
I almost wanna try doing this in the campaign I'm playing now cause I just mounted and rode an Elder Dragon... f yeah, but I just started playing a wee bit ago so I have no clue what's happened before this.

Doorhandle
2013-02-22, 04:51 AM
I almost wanna try doing this in the campaign I'm playing now cause I just mounted and rode an Elder Dragon... f yeah, but I just started playing a wee bit ago so I have no clue what's happened before this.

I do believe THAT story still needs to be shared, so I highly, HIGHLY suggest rocking up to the funny stories thread.

Kaveman26
2013-02-22, 10:51 AM

Are we talking "mount" in the Barry White tongue in cheek manner? Or the I managed to freefall from a botched teleport to an improvised saddle midflight mount?

Force2Reckon
2013-02-23, 12:58 PM
Are we talking "mount" in the Barry White tongue in cheek manner? Or the I managed to freefall from a botched teleport to an improvised saddle midflight mount?

We're talking I take a running 40 foot leap from an airship, land on an elder dragon behind his rider, fling the rider off into oblivion and hijack a dragon... yes 40 foot leap, had a +13 from jump skill and +12 from having 30ft movespeed over base meaning I had to get 15+ to do it xD suicidal, I just wanted to leap onto a dragon. It's the first campaign I've played past like lvl 8, and my first dragon that I've ever encountered in an actual fight... I'd made it clear among my groups that I was getting onto the first dragon I fought if it killed my character, they didn't know this cause I just started playing with them but I couldn't let that pass me by!

I do believe THAT story still needs to be shared, so I highly, HIGHLY suggest rocking up to the funny stories thread.

Where is the most recent one, I'll pop on by and put it up :P

also, just found this picture, remarkably similar to what I imagined Paddock being. It's pretty big so I spoilered it.

Paddock - Knight of Kord
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zARAXboG0TI/TJQKNGGLkRI/AAAAAAAAAow/H8Oebx_ZcL8/s1600/PZO9409-Jamus.jpg

Kaveman26
2013-02-25, 10:50 AM
Good News Everyone!

(bonus points anyone that heard Professor Farnsworth's voice when reading that)

The plans for me to run the prison break adventure for a new group have fallen through. Fallen through due to our DM making one simple and innocent statement. Here is a summary.

DM: I kind of miss Kemen and the gang.

Me: Me too. Just finished a six month long recap of the whole campaign on Playground site. Got me waxing nostalgic big time.

DM:Well...

Well...turned into a half an hour debate on whether to bring Kemen and Marilius back with 3 new players. To allow someone else to run Paddock and Chulainn, or to just run the prison break campaign. My friend's biggest fear in allowing new players to take up old characters was a sense of loyalty to the original players and the thought that less seasoned players would be out of place. Some phone calls and text messages were sent and waffling occured. In the end it was decided that Marilius and Kemen would be picked back up and we would pick up two veteran players with new characters and one rookie.

We got a slightly bigger surprise when Paddock (now in Florida) said he was game for VOIP'ing in for a few hours depending on the schedule.

As it stands right now, Kemen, Marilius and Paddock will saddle up once more with two new players and characters (still being designed and vetted via DM and the new guys) and within the next month or so we will be picking back up with a 1 per month or 1 per three week schedule.

From our barest hinting we know the Parrot is on the menu first. Very eager to see how this plays out.

also, just found this picture, remarkably similar to what I imagined Paddock being. It's pretty big so I spoilered it.

That is pretty accurate from what i picture too.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-02-25, 12:43 PM
Congratulations!

Force2Reckon
2013-02-25, 12:53 PM
As it stands right now, Kemen, Marilius and Paddock will saddle up once more with two new players and characters (still being designed and vetted via DM and the new guys) and within the next month or so we will be picking back up with a 1 per month or 1 per three week schedule.

O_O Does that mean this Campagin (lol the title) log is NOT DONE!?! Yes! That's awesome :D

That is pretty accurate from what i picture too.
Cool, send it off to him see what he thinks lol.

Deepbluediver
2013-02-25, 12:55 PM

Paddock - Knight of Kord
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zARAXboG0TI/TJQKNGGLkRI/AAAAAAAAAow/H8Oebx_ZcL8/s1600/PZO9409-Jamus.jpg

Ok, I realize that the whole "barefoot halfing" thing is supposed to be cliched historical, but does anyone else think this is taking it just a bit to far? I mean, I can (sort of) understand leaving the helmet off for artistic license, and I'll assume you can pop one on right before you run into battle.

But there is NO GOOD REASON to be comepletely shoeless while wearing plate armor. Unless Halflings have some unmentioned armor-foot-skin trait (or maybe tremor-sense a la Toph), this is really just asking for trouble.
IMO, this would be even worse than the midriff baring varieties of armor, because the no one is going to be distracted by your hairy feet (the gay-foot-fetish crowd is pretty niche :smalltongue:), and the potential for accidental injury is much higher: step on a broken weapon, bones, or just a sharp ROCK, take damage from any of the dozens of other hazardous materials adventurours slog through, drop a treasure chest of your foot, injuries get dirty and infected, etc etc etc.

/endrant

Force2Reckon
2013-02-25, 12:56 PM
Ok, I realize that the whole "barefoot halfing" thing is supposed to be cliched historical... (contrant)

LOL I didn't even notice that he was barefoot xD, not my picture I have no artistic skill whatsoever, just found it :P

Silverbit
2013-02-25, 02:45 PM
Looking forward to the new campaign!

Axinian
2013-02-25, 02:48 PM
Good News Everyone!

http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/b0-jpg.7826/

Excellent! Can't wait to see who kills the parrot finally.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-25, 03:26 PM
O_O Does that mean this Campagin (lol the title)

As a proud grammar nazi, I am sad to say I never noticed that until now.

Also... WAHOO!!!

Force2Reckon
2013-02-25, 06:08 PM
As a proud grammar nazi, I am sad to say I never noticed that until now.

Also... WAHOO!!!

I had a teacher who was a grammar nazi... she hated me cause I kept finding little typo's and mistakes in her stuff :smallbiggrin: loved her class

Amidus Drexel
2013-02-25, 09:29 PM
Good News Everyone!

*returns to edge of seat, waiting for updates*

Schweeet! :smallcool:

Kaveman26
2013-02-27, 09:17 AM
Update:

We are updating our characters to Pathfinder System. Having never gone past level 7 in Pathfinder this leaves us scratching our heads a bit at redesigning characters. We have cart blanche in terms of published Paizo Material and we are allowed to make modifications to class layout so long as the "Character" remains the same. I.E. Kemen remains a wizard, Paddock a cleric etc. We can adapt within that framework but I shouldn't suddenly show up with a gunslinger.

We are being given wealth by level equipment for 16th level characters and an additional 250,000 in "party funds"

Any thoughts in terms of character designs or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Got about 3 weeks to rebuild Marilius and forward suggestions for other characters to the gang.

Axinian
2013-02-27, 12:27 PM
Well i know that kemen is gonna want to take the arcane armor trainig feats so he can keep using his power suit. You may want to consider some number of bard levels for Marilus, as they are great skillmonkeys in pathfinder, especially with the versatile performance ability.

Kaveman26
2013-02-27, 12:44 PM
Well i know that kemen is gonna want to take the arcane armor trainig feats so he can keep using his power suit. You may want to consider some number of bard levels for Marilus, as they are great skillmonkeys in pathfinder, especially with the versatile performance ability.

I think they are allowing Runesmith to come forward so that he keeps the armor abilties and share spell etc. I will need to check though.

WhiteShark
2013-02-27, 02:42 PM
Why the switch to Pathfinder, if you don't mind me asking? Seems like it's just extra work considering all your characters are already made in 3.5 and presumably most npcs too.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-27, 03:46 PM
Why the switch to Pathfinder, if you don't mind me asking? Seems like it's just extra work considering all your characters are already made in 3.5 and presumably most npcs too.

Well most 3.5 stuff is still compatible in PF, so they can easily do a 3.P game (which is what it sort of sounds like they're doing). Marilius was a straight rogue (with some Exemplar I believe?) after you redesigned him, yes? I'd just stick with that in PF, considering its strong curve towards remaining straight-classed until 20. Since you now get Rogue Talents right from the start instead of just 10+, you get even more goodies to play with. Alternately (heh), you can take the Ninja (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/ninja) rogue alternate class. Less about Trapfinding, more about being even sneakier and deadlier. Also, its KI pool being based off of Cha fits well with Marilius being such a suave dude.

Kaveman26
2013-02-27, 03:47 PM

DM Quote:

"I spent a few hundred bucks on pathfinder source books and I have done nothing but plan for pathfinder the last two years, so we are using pathfinder to pick things back up"

Incom
2013-02-27, 04:05 PM
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/advimgs/ps/ps817.gif

I'm pretty hyped about this.

Kaveman26
2013-02-27, 04:12 PM
Well most 3.5 stuff is still compatible in PF, so they can easily do a 3.P game (which is what it sort of sounds like they're doing). Marilius was a straight rogue (with some Exemplar I believe?) after you redesigned him, yes? I'd just stick with that in PF, considering its strong curve towards remaining straight-classed until 20. Since you now get Rogue Talents right from the start instead of just 10+, you get even more goodies to play with. Alternately (heh), you can take the Ninja rogue alternate class. Less about Trapfinding, more about being even sneakier and deadlier. Also, its KI pool being based off of Cha fits well with Marilius being such a suave dude.

Yeah he ended up rogue/exemplar. I am sorely tempted to stay straight rogue and then examine different "archtypes". With all the rogue talents I feel like I can tweak him out to have some tricks and adapability. The biggest question is going to be how do we abuse our "specials" granted by Odin. Being able to shapechange is monumental and begs to be abused in some manner. A huge sized tripping character maybe? I can shapechange to Elf,Dwarf,Gnome,Halfling,Cloud Giant and Nymph at this point. Dragon has to be high priority from the onset.

Kemen is trying to figure out how to utilize his Beordie imbued suit of sentient armor. He basically has a 14th level wizard in tow with him at all times. One with no actual mind and damage reduction stemming from the armor having adamantine. He could in theory dump all his crafting feats into the armor cohort, or make Beordie a mirrior to his own spell set.

Paddock can bring forth a number of inevitables equal to his Hit Dice with no penalty or drawback. He doesnt have full control of them, he can aim them at a target or direction but not control their actions. He can also expend spell slots to expand HD total. A 1st level slot=1HD and a 7th level slot=7HD.

The two new characters...I have little to go on for them at this point. Hopefully we get at least one melee type.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-27, 05:00 PM
Yeah he ended up rogue/exemplar. I am sorely tempted to stay straight rogue and then examine different "archtypes". With all the rogue talents I feel like I can tweak him out to have some tricks and adapability. The biggest question is going to be how do we abuse our "specials" granted by Odin. Being able to shapechange is monumental and begs to be abused in some manner. A huge sized tripping character maybe? I can shapechange to Elf,Dwarf,Gnome,Halfling,Cloud Giant and Nymph at this point. Dragon has to be high priority from the onset.

Kemen is trying to figure out how to utilize his Beordie imbued suit of sentient armor. He basically has a 14th level wizard in tow with him at all times. One with no actual mind and damage reduction stemming from the armor having adamantine. He could in theory dump all his crafting feats into the armor cohort, or make Beordie a mirrior to his own spell set.

Paddock can bring forth a number of inevitables equal to his Hit Dice with no penalty or drawback. He doesnt have full control of them, he can aim them at a target or direction but not control their actions. He can also expend spell slots to expand HD total. A 1st level slot=1HD and a 7th level slot=7HD.

The two new characters...I have little to go on for them at this point. Hopefully we get at least one melee type.
Well, if you're going to examine archetypes, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229326) guide for which ones are compatible together is extremely useful.

Unfortunately, shapechanging spells were probably the biggest single nerf in Pathfinder. You no longer get all the characteristics of the form you turn into. Instead, each shapechanging spell (Alter Self, Beast Shape, Dragon Shape, Shapechange (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/shapechange.html), etc) has a list of what you can get from a form if the form has it. Gone are the days of Alter Selfing into a Troglodyte for uber natural armor.

Deepbluediver
2013-02-27, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately, shapechanging spells were probably the biggest single nerf in Pathfinder. You no longer get all the characteristics of the form you turn into. Instead, each shapechanging spell (Alter Self, Beast Shape, Dragon Shape, Shapechange (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/shapechange.html), etc) has a list of what you can get from a form if the form has it. Gone are the days of Alter Selfing into a Troglodyte for uber natural armor.

Since the shapechanging boon from Odin isn't strictly a spell, and there is already a fairly big limitation on what forms he can take, maybe they'll let him keep the buffed version.

Also, depending on how widely you spread the knowledge of your...unique ability, this combination has the potential for some absolutely hilarious moments. I think I would find a ways (maybe via scrolls) to shapeshift into weird stuff just to see people's reactions.

Paddock: Look's like a tough fight, Merilius, shapeshift into the Giant!
Merilius: Nah, I got something better *sneakily shapeshifts into dinosaur or other animal via scroll*
Everyone: O_o ....teh feck?

Also, using Alter Self to make it appear your've shapeshifted into people's spouse or lover, some one famous and/or important....party members....:smalltongue:

geeky_monkey
2013-02-28, 05:07 AM
Out of curiousity how is the update schedule going to work?

Writing up a campaign that 'finished' ages ago is very different from an ongoing on.

Are you planning on recapping every session as soon as it finishes or should we expect a three/six month break while you play and then a bunch of updates in the current style where you can recap weeks worth of play with the benefit of a longer view of how plots delevoped?

Kaveman26
2013-02-28, 08:52 AM
Out of curiousity how is the update schedule going to work?

Writing up a campaign that 'finished' ages ago is very different from an ongoing on.

Are you planning on recapping every session as soon as it finishes or should we expect a three/six month break while you play and then a bunch of updates in the current style where you can recap weeks worth of play with the benefit of a longer view of how plots delevoped?

I imagine I will just post recaps as they finish. Allow for anyone following to find out surprises and developments same as us along the way.

Macbubble
2013-02-28, 01:24 PM
I would advise you to check the following link http://mcarchetype.wikispaces.com/. It is filled with archetypes that are basically multiclass, most of them are really fun and they also add a lot of options to each character.

Kaveman26
2013-02-28, 03:23 PM
So far I have looked at Scout/Sniper for ability to sneak attack on the fly, and I even started jotting notes about dipping two levels into barbarian for titan mauler and jotungrip. Shapechanged into a cloud giant, firing a collasal longbow with sneak attack damage while mobile sounds cool in theory. Havent crunched number of feats or overall output yet though.

Kemen is leaning towards making Beordie a mirror to himself with crafting split between them. He is also looking at teamwork feats to basically synergize with himself.

Angels and the Parrot minions are going to be our first focus. With Planetars and potentially even Solars, overcoming spell resistance will be paramount.

Kaveman26
2013-03-02, 05:31 PM
I put together a first draft of feats for Marilius and got a first draft of what Kemen is looking at doing...

Marilius:

Marilius Antinaius:Human/Bugbear Sct/Sniper16 Str20 Dex22 Con16 Int16 Wis12 Cha 23

Human:Improved Init
1st:Point Blank Shot
2nd-RT:Bleeding Attack
3rd:Rapid Shot
4th-RT:Minor Magic
5th:Precise Shot
6th-RT:Assault Leader
7th:Shot on the Run
8th-RT:Major Magic
9th:Many Shot
10th-ART:Skill Mastery
11th:Skill Focus UMD
12th-ART:Improved Evasion
13:Deadly Aim
14th-ART:Crippling Strike
15th:Improved Precise Shot
16th-ART:Dispelling Attack

Kemen:

Kemen Sarn (dwarf) Abjurer11/Runesmith5 Str14 Dex10 Con24 Int24 Wis14 Cha10
Barred: Necromancy/Divination

Feats:
1st:Spell Focus Abjuration
WBF:Scribe Scroll:
3rd:Craft Wonderous Item
5th:Greater Spell Focus Abjuration
5th-WBF:Sculpt Spell
7th:Spell Penetration
9th:Greater Spell Penetration
10th-WBF:Piercing Spell
11th:Energy Substitution
13th:Combat Casting
15th:Allied Spellcaster

Equipment:
Rod:Quicken Metamagic (75,000)
Rod: Greater Metamagic-Energy Sub (25,000)
Ring: Wizardy II (40,000)
Ring:Wizardy III (70,000)
Headband: Vast Intellect+6 (36,000)
Armor: Dwarven Mountain Plate+5 (adamantine) 35,000
Weapon: Heavy Pick+1 and spell storing (special: Mineral and Gem location, levitate unlimited)-NA
Shield:Heavy Steel Shield+4 (energy resistance-acid) (31,000)
3,000 to group

Beordie:

Dwarf Spirit-Necromancer15 Str-18 Dex10 ConNA Int22 Wis18 Cha10
Barred:Evocation and Transmutation
Feats:

1st:Spell Focus Necromancy
1st-WBF:Scribe Scroll
3rd: Greater Spell Focus-Necromancy
5th:Spell Penetration
5th-WBF:Greater Spell Penetration
7th:Piercing Spell
9th:Allied Spellcaster
10th-WBF:Crafts Arms and Armor
11th:Craft Wand
13th:Forge Ring
15th:Heighten Spell
15th-WBF:Combat Casting

I am aiming for a mobile sneak attack archer with some diplomacy/face skills. I am still sorting out potential equipment etc.

Kemen is aiming for a strong dispelling and buff abilities through abjuration, while Beordie will deliver de-buffs. They are both steered towards overcoming spell resistance.

Paddock have not gotten an update for how his character will look. It does look like he will end up pure cleric.

The two new characters at this point are shaping up to be a quirky heavily armored fighter and an Indiana Jones style archaeologist bard with trap manipulation.

Kaveman26
2013-03-06, 12:51 PM
3rd and 4th character rough drafts (the new guys)

“Indy” Gnome Achaeologist16 Str 10 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 18 Wis 14 Cha 23

1st:Spell Focus Conjuration
3rd:Augment Summoning
5th:Skill Focus Disable Device
7th:Skill Focus UMD
9th:Skill Focus Craft-Trapmaking
11th:Deft Hands
13th:Superior Summoning
15th:Improved Initiative

Equipment: (315,000)
Headband of Mental Prowess+6,Int+Cha (90,000)
Robe of the Archmage (75,000)
2 Iron Golems (140,000)
10,000 to group

Tink Halfling Armor Master16 Str13 Dex24 Con14 Int10 Wis 14 Cha 13
Feats:Improved Shield Bash
1st:Two Weapon Fighting
1st-FBF:Shield Focus
2nd-FBF:Weapon Focus-Large Steel Shield
3rd:Iron Will
4th-FBF:Weapon Specialization-LSS
5th:Lightning Reflexes
6th-FBF:Shield Slam
7th:Double Slice
8th-FBF:Greater Shield Focus
9th:Improved Critical-Large Steel Shield
10th-FBF:Weapon Finesse LSS
11th:Improved TWF
12th-FBF:Greater TWF
13th:Vital Strike
14th-FBF:Improved Vital Strike
15th:?
16th-FBF:?

Equipment:
+5 Adamantine Full Plate (35,000)
+5 Adamantine Heavy Steel Shield (35,000)
Ring of Energy Resistance Major (Fire) (28,000)
Ring of Protection+5 (50,000)
Amulet of Natural Armor+5 (50,000)
Belt of Titanic Prowess (special)
Longsword+5 (50,000)
Cloak of Displacement-Major (50,000)
17,000 to group

We are jokingly referring to the bard as Indy for the time being. His whole shtick is going to gear around traps and summoning. His golems are going to be perma-trapped with walls of fire that trigger once the golems are hit in combat.

The halfling fighter is going to be permanently reduced for dex and size bonuses and his goal is to be a difficult to hit melee nuisance. His belt is going to function as a belt of physical perfection+12.

Paddock is focusing on channeling and maintaining mounted combat. I know selective channeling,channel smite are on his list of feats.

Daftendirekt
2013-03-06, 03:35 PM
Wow, three feats used on Skill Focus. Now THAT is suboptimal.

Kaveman26
2013-03-06, 04:33 PM
Wow, three feats used on Skill Focus. Now THAT is suboptimal.

We told him sorcerer would be a better fit for summoning spam, but he really wanted the trap side of things, and ability to heal. We are nudging him to alter a few feats and perhaps abandon the golem concept. He has a bit of envy over the Torm Golem from ages ago. Need to track down feats that improve inspire courage etc.

I love the notion of a tiny fighter in full plate armor that has out of this world AC, but I dont see him doling out damage, and with marginal saves and no means of keeping attention he risks feeling marginalized.

Kaveman26
2013-03-07, 12:43 PM
Approaching more of a final form for the group. Call it a second draft close to finished character frameworks.

Kemen Sarn (dwarf)

Abjurer11/Runesmith5 Str14 Dex10 Con24 Int30 Wis14 Cha10

Spells Per Day:(7+1,7+1,6+1,6+1,6+1,6+1,4+1,3+1)

Barred: Necromancy/Enchantment
Feats:
1st:Spell Focus Abjuration
WBF:Scribe Scroll:
3rd:Craft Wonderous Item
5th:Greater Spell Focus Abjuration
5th-WBF:Sculpt Spell
7th:Spell Penetration
9th:Greater Spell Penetration
10th-WBF:Piercing Spell
11th:Energy Substitution
13th:Combat Casting
15th:Allied Spellcaster

Equipment:
Rod:Quicken Metamagic (75,000)
Rod: Greater Metamagic-Energy Sub (25,000)
Ring: Wizardy II (40,000)
Ring:Wizardy III (70,000)
Headband: Vast Intellect+6 (36,000)
Armor: Dwarven Mountain Plate+5 (adamantine) 35,000
Weapon: Heavy Pick+1 and spell storing (special: Mineral and Gem location, levitate unlimited)-NA
Shield:Heavy Steel Shield+4 (energy resistance-acid) (31,000)
3,000 to group

Beordie:
Dwarf Spirit-Necromancer15 Str-18 Dex10 ConNA Int22 Wis18 Cha10
Barred:Evocation and Transmutation
Feats:
1st:Spell Focus Necromancy
1st-WBF:Scribe Scroll
3rd: Greater Spell Focus-Necromancy
5th:Spell Penetration
5th-WBF:Greater Spell Penetration
7th:Piercing Spell
9th:Allied Spellcaster
10th-WBF:Crafts Arms and Armor
11th:Craft Wand
13th:Forge Ring
15th:Heighten Spell
15th-WBF:Combat Casting

Beordie is at this point looking very complicated. In essence he is an animated suit of adamantine armor. His spirit and abilities control and steer the armor, you can have a full conversation with him…but there is no mind to affect. You can’t control him or dominate him, only try to destroy the physical armor. For our intents and purposes he is eternally vigilant and able to work day and night with no exhaustion. We are treating his spells almost like a computer rebooting. Every 24 hours he can “reprogram” his spells.
Kemen is being granted full Runesmith access without a fighter dip. He altered Divination from his barred list so that we could create a fun little shared spell option. He preps True Strike as a shared spell and then we coordinate a big time single round ambush. The group crafting capabilities are preserved and spread a bit between Kemen and Beordie. Kemen intends to focus on dispelling, buffs and the occasional blasting. Beordie will be our inside man delivering debuff’s and using nasty area of effect spells in the middle of piles. Especially Cloudkill.

“Indy” Gnome Achaeologist16

Str 10 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 24 Wis 14 Cha 29

1st:(6)Cure Light,Grease,Unseen Servant, Silent Image, SMI,Expeditious Retreat
2nd(6)Cat’s Grace, Cure Moderate,Eagle Splendor,Glitterdust,Invisibility,SMII
3rd:(5)Cure Serious Wounds,Haste,Displacement,Charm Monster,Remove Curse
4th:(5+2)Break Enchantment,Cure Critical,Freedom of Movement,Greater Invisibility,SMIV,Bestow Curse, Wall of Fire
5th:(4)Greater Dispel Magic,Mind Fog,SM:V,Greater Heroism
6th:(2)Mass Cure Mod, SM:VI

1st:Spell Focus Conjuration
3rd:Augment Summoning
5th:Greater Spell Focus Conjuration
7th:Skill Focus UMD
9th:Skill Focus Craft-Trapmaking
11th : Improved Initiative
13th:Superior Summoning
15th:Expanded Arcana*(Allows Sorcerer Spell Selections)

Equipment: (315,000)
Headband of Mental Prowess+6,Int+Cha (90,000)
Robe of the Archmage (75,000)
2 Iron Golems (140,000)
10,000 to group

I don’t know what actual name he is going with, but right now we are calling him Indy. He haggled back and forth and eventually came to the following arrangement. In lieu of other Odin granted boons he is being given the ability to create traps on just about anything as a result of keeping his skill focuses. He was allowed to expand his spell selection to include sorcerer spells through expanded arcana and he took Bestow Curse and Wall of Fire. His plan as we progress is to trap the golems and the fighter so that when struck it triggers spell effects. I do enjoy the concept on paper of the Golem being struck by something and having the attacker hit with Bestow Curse, Dispel Magic, Mind Fog etc…we are working out the kinks on this to see how it will really play out. As written a trap is spell level x caster level x 500 for a resetting spell trigger. So a 4th level spell from 16th level caster would be 32,000. I.E….32K for a permanently triggering Bestow Curse on a shield to whoever hit it.

Tink Halfling Armor Master16

Str25 Dex36 Con26 Int10 Wis 14 Cha 13

Feats:Improved Shield Bash
1st:Two Weapon Fighting
1st-FBF:Shield Focus
2nd-FBF:Weapon Focus-Large Steel Shield
3rd:Iron Will
4th-FBF:Weapon Specialization-LSS
5th:Lightning Reflexes
6th-FBF:Shield Slam
7th:Double Slice
8th-FBF:Greater Shield Focus
9th:Improved Critical-Large Steel Shield
10th-FBF:Weapon Finesse LSS
11th:Improved TWF
12th-FBF:Greater TWF
13th:Vital Strike
14th-FBF:Improved Vital Strike
15th:
16th-FBF:

Equipment:
+5 Adamantine Full Plate (35,000)
+5 Adamantine Heavy Steel Shield (35,000)
Ring of Energy Resistance Major (Fire) (28,000)
Ring of Protection+5 (50,000)
Amulet of Natural Armor+5 (50,000)
Belt of Titanic Prowess (special)
Longsword+5 (50,000)
Cloak of Displacement-Major (50,000)
17,000 to group

A tiny, heavily armored and bolstered nuisance. The belt will jump up his physical stats to higher levels, but this is the character I am most concerned about. He wants to be a heavily defended tank that will taunt and coax targets to attack him. He wants smaller size for bonuses to AC and Dex. Even with a +12 boost to strength I don’t see it on paper as being a capable enough deterrent. However…if we trap up his gear so that him getting hit triggers some big time negatives…this could get interesting.

Paddock Odinson (gnome) Cleric16

Str20 Dex 12 Con25 Int12 Wis25 Cha19

Feats:
1st :Alignment Channel
3rd :Channel Smite
5th :Mounted Combat
7th :Ride By Attack
9th :Spirited Charge
11th :Selective Channeling
13th :Power Attack
15th :Extra Channeling

Equipment:

+5 brilliant energy spear (NA-Special)
Eyepatch of the All Father-grants true sight (NA-Special)
Flying Stone Bear (coated silver) (NA-special)
Phylactery of Positive Channeling (11,000)
Headband of Inspired Wisdom+6 (36,000)
Cloak of Resistance+5 (25,000)
Boots of Speed (12,000)
Ring of Curing (10,000)
Adamantine Breastplate+4 (35,000)
Greater Ring of Energy Resistance (44,000)
Belt of Physical Might+6 (90,000)
52,000 to group

Paddock could get very intriguing. With inevtiables on the march and an ability to do quad damage on a charging attack he could launch a brutal single attack. We are banking on he and I being able to demolish a single target in a surprise round. With true strike fueling a power attack channel smite charge and my ability to sneak attack from any range and almost gurantee an attack will be a sneak attack we should be able to wreck damn near anything in a single round at least once per day. We are going to do some “Solar” math. Figuring that is the nastiest single target we can expect to see. If we can somehow gurantee a one round kill on a Solar barring a natural 1, then I expect we will be extremely pleased with any combat situation.

Marilius Antinaius:Human/Bugbear Sct/Sniper16

Str24 Dex26 Con20 Int16 Wis12 Cha 23

Human:Improved Init
1st:Point Blank Shot
2nd-RT:Bleeding Attack
3rd:Rapid Shot
4th-RT:Minor Magic
5th:Precise Shot
6th-RT:Assault Leader
7th:Shot on the Run
8th-RT:Major Magic
9th:Many Shot
10th-ART:Skill Mastery
11th:Skill Focus UMD
12th-ART:Improved Evasion
13:Deadly Aim
14th-ART:Crippling Strike
15th:Improved Precise Shot
16th-ART:Dispelling Attack

Equipment:
Bracers of Archery,Greater (25,000)
Greater Sniper Goggles (50,000) sneak attack at any range +2 damage per die
Cloak of Resistance+5 (25,000)
Amulet of Hidden Strength (9,000)
Boots of Speed (12,000)
+3 comp longbow-scales to max strength (special)
Ring of Energy Resistance Greater-Fire (44,000)
Ring of Energy Resistance Greater-Acid (44,000)
Mithral Chain Shirt+5 improved electric resistance (43,000)
Belt of Physical Perfection+4 (64,000)
-1,000 from group

With feats and class features I can deliver a sneak attack from any range, and if I move at least 15 feet in a round, it’s a sneak attack. I am going to tweak out magic items a bit more to maximize some versatility, but I feel pretty good about my build.

Group:332,000

Poligius’s Rod of Mass Disjunction (special)
The Revenge (special)
Eldrytch Weald:Stronghold with 50 freedmen (special)
Ever-Expanding Folio (special)
Bag Of Holding Type IVx8 (80,000)
Bag Of Holding TypeII x5 (25,000)
10,000 Arrows (cost nil)
10 Efficient Quivers (20,000)
Staff of Fire (18,000)
Staff of Frost (42,000)

The Dread Parrot Roberts-A cursed treasure seeking parrot, probably undead. Now the deity of his own cult and religion currently spreading across the world like a bizarre winged plague. Hates crackers. He is still technically ours and currently the closest thing to a central antagonist.

Joe the Rat
2013-03-07, 02:09 PM
I'm wondering if Tink would benefit from special ability enchantments on the longsword - either to increase his damage output outright, or as another way to add nasty effects. Or better yet, annoying ones.

An odd question: Would a trapped shield be activated if when he shield bashed with it?

Kaveman26
2013-03-07, 03:07 PM
An odd question: Would a trapped shield be activated if when he shield bashed with it?

So far we don't know. Basically DM said that he can trap anything, including armor. He only specified that we be specific on triggers. So far the best trigger we have come up with is "impact". My gut tells me that a shield bash will work just fine. I also have a sneaking suspicion that it will be brought against us. Something like us moving around minding our own business then a rock hits the fighter's shield, triggering bestow curse etc at the bard walking in front of him. This is one of those areas where we fear he is a step ahead of us but it's too cool to turn back.

I'm wondering if Tink would benefit from special ability enchantments on the longsword - either to increase his damage output outright, or as another way to add nasty effects. Or better yet, annoying ones.

I was reccomending Corrosive, Dispelling, Defending (thematically), and Guardian. Something that would let his attacks do more than just connect. Especially if he splits them up so that he has a guardian shield and a defending sword so that he can boost AC and Saves.

Averis Vol
2013-03-07, 03:53 PM
With such a massive dexterity tink could probably lose the shield and pick up a scimitar for dervish dance. Sure, he'd lose some ac, but he could put that dexterity to his damage to kind of even out his build. He could probably grab an animated shield if he didn't want to lose most of the AC.

Unless pathfinder no longer has animated that is (not the biggest PF guy)

Daftendirekt
2013-03-07, 04:07 PM
Animated (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/magic-armor-and-shield-special-abilities/animated) was nerfed in PF.

Averis Vol
2013-03-08, 12:20 AM
Animated (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/magic-armor-and-shield-special-abilities/animated) was nerfed in PF.

LAME!

I would still suggest dervish dance.

jguy
2013-03-08, 09:44 AM
With such high dex he should wear something besides fullplate

Daftendirekt
2013-03-08, 03:19 PM

I was thinking that as well. With a +8 Dex modifier, the only armor that gives him full Dex bonus to AC is Padded. Not a bad option, really, as he gets full Dex and he can enchant the Padded Armor to get more. A lot lighter and cheaper than full plate, too, that's for sure.

Kaveman26
2013-03-08, 03:54 PM

The dex bonus is not being overly wasted due to his class though. As a fighter he still gets Armor Training 4, so his maximum dex bonus in full plate is +5, if he made it mithral it would jump to +7...so only a loss of 1 with mithral. Is masterwork armor still increased max dex bonus by 1 he would be able to fully utilize his dex

+9 from full plate +5 from dex

vs

+1 from padded and +8 from dex

Daftendirekt
2013-03-08, 04:21 PM
Ah yeah, forgot about Armor Training as I've yet to play a fighter in PF.

jguy
2013-03-08, 11:53 PM
His dex is 36, meaning he is getting a +13. A plus +5 fullplate gives 14 armor. He could go naked at get one point less. Have him wear this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/specific-magic-armor/celestial-armor) and upgrade it to +5. With his armor training he is only losing 1 point of dex to AC, giving him +23 armor from that.

Daftendirekt
2013-03-09, 06:09 AM
His dex is 36, meaning he is getting a +13..

You're right. How the hell did I get +8...?

jguy
2013-03-09, 06:52 AM
You might have read it as 26

Kaveman26
2013-03-09, 09:08 AM
His dex is 36, meaning he is getting a +13. A plus +5 fullplate gives 14 armor. He could go naked at get one point less. Have him wear this and upgrade it to +5. With his armor training he is only losing 1 point of dex to AC, giving him +23 armor from that.

Forwarded that on...good call.

Reverent-One
2013-03-09, 01:49 PM
While that point is good, he may also want to switch out from the Armor Master archetype (assuming I'm reading the statblock properly) at that point. One of the big things about armor master is getting DR depending on what type of armor you're in, and light gives you 2 points less than heavy.

Astral Avenger
2013-03-10, 11:07 PM
Oh man, just started reading this at about 1 today, just finished 10 hours later.
This is one of the best reads I've found in the past long while. Can't wait for the updates to continue.

Kaveman26
2013-03-11, 07:52 AM
Oh man, just started reading this at about 1 today, just finished 10 hours later.
This is one of the best reads I've found in the past long while. Can't wait for the updates to continue.

That is some Hardcore reading right there.

While that point is good, he may also want to switch out from the Armor Master archetype (assuming I'm reading the statblock properly) at that point. One of the big things about armor master is getting DR depending on what type of armor you're in, and light gives you 2 points less than heavy.

That is also on the table. Feel bad that we are pulling him in so many directions but I think at the core we just dont him to feel like a fifth wheel.

Averis Vol
2013-03-12, 06:59 PM
well if you consider the rest of you guys the other four wheels its only normal that he would be the fifth.....:smalltongue:

but on a serious note, if he wants to be the most heavily defended, highly mobile character possible, it is going to take a couple tries before he gets the character perfect. equally, if he would be willing to pick of weapon finesse and a finesseable weapon, he could always grab the Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) weapon enhancement so he can use his dex to damage instead of strength. If he is set on a particular weapon that is one handed, maybe the DM could work with him to let a mithril one handed weapon be finessed. I mean, it would kind of make since, otherwise mithril shouldn't even have an entry for weapons.

xanderhunter
2015-09-22, 08:07 AM
well if you consider the rest of you guys the other four wheels its only normal that he would be the fifth.....:smalltongue:

Interesting thought, there is a fifth wheel on every car, the steering wheel, so with that in mind, if you want him to feel useful, let him be the titular leader of the group. Of course you will want to help with advice, but ultimately let him choose the direction you go.

GnomishPride
2015-10-05, 09:40 PM
Started reading this a couple days ago...
SUPER DUPER DUPER DUPER AWESOME
you guys have a great group and I look forward to your updates!

Deepbluediver
2015-10-05, 11:32 PM
This thread is more than two years old- it was necro'd. I don't think they are updating any longer.

turbo164
2015-10-06, 07:44 AM

Part 2 is here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?309668-Little-Big-One-Campagin-Log-Part-Two

That one is also finished, over a year ago (so please don't post in it). But, the campaign mentioned at the end of that one is still ongoing:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?325177-Cattle-Driving-Necromancers-Bizarre-Campaign-Journal

Enjoy :smallsmile:

GnomishPride
2015-10-06, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the notification.
Sad that it's over, but it was great while it lasted.