PDA

View Full Version : Anticipate Teleporation question

Yorae
2012-06-29, 02:38 PM
If a wizard casts Anticipate Teleportation on himself, then casts benign transposition to switch places with someone (his familiar, let's say), is he forced to delay his own or his familiar's arrival by 1 round? What if the target is outside the range of anticipate teleportation, but within the range of benign transposition? Would the wizard show up instantly where the familiar was, but the familiar show up in his new location 1 round later? Is the caster allowed not to delay an incoming teleport?

strider24seven
2012-06-29, 02:43 PM
Does the spell incorporate a "may" or "can" clause?

If not, then ANY teleportation effects that occur INTO the Anticipate area get delayed. So if a wizard switched places with his familiar, who was outside the area at the time, then the wizard would arrive and the familiar would be delayed a round.

I'm afb atm and can't access SpC material online, so this question will suffice until someone else offers the exact text or you look it up.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-29, 02:49 PM
The subject of the spell is surrounded with an invisible aura that anticipates and delays the teleportation of any creature into the spell's area.
Any teleportation spell or effect (including all spells with the teleportation descriptor) can be anticipated, making the spell's recipient instantly aware of the exact location where the teleporting creature will arrive (subject to the restrictions below), the creature's size, and how many other creatures (and their sizes) are arriving with the teleporting creature.
The spell also delays the arrival of the teleporting creature by 1 round (so that it arrives on its initiative count immediately before its next turn), generally giving the recipient of the spell and anyone else made aware of the information 1 round to act or ready actions.
The teleporting creature does not perceive this delay.

I would say that it is quite airtight, and there is no "may" involved.

Yorae
2012-06-29, 02:53 PM
Any teleportation spell or effect (including all spells with the teleportation descriptor) can be anticipated

What about that?

Tyndmyr
2012-06-29, 02:57 PM
What about that?

Works on "any creature". Also, it has no save.

strider24seven
2012-06-29, 03:00 PM
The spell also delays the arrival of the teleporting creature by 1 round .

Not a "may" or "can" effect.
The "can" clause earler describes the possibility of receiving information about the creature but not the actual delay. It's silly and a lawyer-ish distinction- but there you have it. If you are currently in a game, you should talk about it with your DM.

Thank you Tyndmyr for the quote.
Sucks not having books at work :smallyuk:

Yorae
2012-06-29, 03:02 PM
Works on "any creature". Also, it has no save.

That isn't... it doesn't mean...

Sorry, but does that have to do with whether you choose whether to use the anticipate effect?

Not a "may" or "can" effect.
The "can" clause earler describes the possibility of receiving information about the creature but not the actual delay. It's silly and a lawyer-ish distinction- but there you have it. If you are currently in a game, you should talk about it with your DM.

Thank you Tyndmyr for the quote.
Sucks not having books at work :smallyuk:

Makes sense, I guess, since it begins a new clause after the conditional. It does seem a little weird that it would let you choose whether or not to know about the teleport, but not about whether to delay. I mean, if you know you have a choice to know that there is a teleport... then you already know that there is a teleport, since if it wasn't occurring, you wouldn't have had the choice. I guess you could choose not to know the number/size. I'll ask my DM. RAW seems like it might interfere with your own teleportation.

strider24seven
2012-06-29, 03:04 PM
You can choose whether or not to receive info about the critter, but its arrival is delayed a round regardless.

Douglas
2012-06-29, 03:19 PM
This is a fuzzy area because at the time your familiar is teleporting your location (and thus the location of the Anticipate Teleport area) is not clearly defined - you are also mid-teleport at the exact same moment. Personally, I would rule that the AT spell effectively blinks out of existence (technically covering some unspecified area in the Astral plane) for an instant while you are teleporting, and your familiar gets teleported at the exact same instant and is therefore unaffected by AT.

If you were instead casting Benign Transposition on a pair of allies (who are both in range of AT) while you remain in place, your two allies unambiguously vanish for a round.

Yorae
2012-06-29, 03:21 PM
This is a fuzzy area because at the time your familiar is teleporting your location (and thus the location of the Anticipate Teleport area) is not clearly defined - you are also mid-teleport at the exact same moment. Personally, I would rule that the AT spell effectively blinks out of existence (technically covering some unspecified area in the Astral plane) for an instant while you are teleporting, and your familiar gets teleported at the exact same instant and is therefore unaffected by AT.

If you were instead casting Benign Transposition on a pair of allies (who are both in range of AT) while you remain in place, your two allies unambiguously vanish for a round.

That is kind of a good point... It's an emanation from you, but you are no longer there.

strider24seven
2012-06-29, 03:21 PM
Except that you are not mid teleport.
As you cast the spell, the two of you teleport simultaneously and instantaneously. One goes into the area of Anticipate Teleport. One does not. One gets delayed. One does not.

Anticipate Teleport procs on the targeting of a teleport (since all of them are instantaneous duration) since there are no teleports with a non-instantaneous duration.

Khedrac
2012-06-29, 03:53 PM

I definitely would rule it like this - for comparison consider what happens if you teleport with someone (as you can bring people) when one of you has AT up...

Just to make life interesting I used to play a war-weaver/abjurant champion who used to buff the entire party with AT every other day...

whibla
2012-06-29, 05:05 PM
Except that you are not mid teleport.
As you cast the spell, the two of you teleport simultaneously and instantaneously. One goes into the area of Anticipate Teleport. One does not. One gets delayed. One does not.

Anticipate Teleport procs on the targeting of a teleport (since all of them are instantaneous duration) since there are no teleports with a non-instantaneous duration.

Alternatively, rephrase the situation. Is your familiar arriving in an area of anticipate teleport? No, because the person with anticipate teleport is no longer there. He cannot be in both places simultaneously, and the teleport / transposition is simultaneous.

Although it could be argued either way, I'd say in this very specific case there is no delay involved.

*EDIT* Or were you suggesting that the wizard was delayed, rather than the familiar? I can see a definite argument that the wizard arrives a round later, being both aware that he's arriving in 1 round, and unaware of any delay...finally a real example of Schrodinger's wizard! :smallcool:

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-06-29, 09:02 PM
I definitely would rule it like this - for comparison consider what happens if you teleport with someone (as you can bring people) when one of you has AT up...

Just to make life interesting I used to play a war-weaver/abjurant champion who used to buff the entire party with AT every other day...

This reminds me of a character idea I had to use AT and the first level Stand spell in the event that anyone ever dropped below 0 HP/fall unconscious if only to give the cleric some extra time to get them.

JeminiZero
2012-06-29, 09:44 PM

There was this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236184) on a similiar topic a few months back that came to a similiar conclusion.