PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Feat for a Wizard

Ranting Fool
2012-06-29, 04:31 PM
Hi there Playground, I am just spoilt for choice at the moment in my campaign.

I'm the DM and everyone's favourite heroes have just gotten their hands on another "Unknown Potion of the Ancient Mages" this is their second one.

The First one:

The first one they found in the ruins of an old level 1 wizard training ground (In it's own little sub dimension that they kind of broke) if the wizard went through a maze using cantrips and level one spells to beat the puzzles they were rewarded with a certificate (Unsigned because the drill mages are all long dead) and a potion that granted the feat "Spell Hand" Complete Arcane. Gives a few level 0 SLA that a low level wizard would be quite happy to have. Also gaining a small permanent tattoo that all those long dead Wizards were rumoured to be coved in

Now they've gone and got a second one they are about to chug down without any idea what it could do. So what effect would you guys give?

Please bear in mind that these potions are meant to be for Wizards and this time a Warlock is quenching his thirst with it.

:smallbiggrin:

SaintRidley
2012-06-29, 05:14 PM
What level are they and what level would you say the training ground for this one was pegged for?

Perhaps one of the item crafting feats would be worth it? It could encourage the warlock to stay in the class for Imbue Item. It would fit a wizard thematically without being completely worthless to our warlock.

Perhaps Craft Wand?

aeauseth
2012-06-29, 08:24 PM
Permenant detect magic vision? Craft skill bonus? Extra spell slot (level 0 for balance). +1 CL for a particiuar spell. 10% reduction on craft materials when making magic items. Benefits of the Magic domain. Make a level 0 spell a spell like ability usable at will.

Andion Isurand
2012-06-30, 12:37 AM
Why not use the Great Elixir (Shining South 57)?

Alleran
2012-06-30, 02:50 AM
Why not use the Great Elixir (Shining South 57)?
This, except you could also only use the negative results from the Elixir (or at least chop off most of the good benefits). Not all potions are good, after all, and it's their own fault for assuming that they were just going to keep getting handouts. Especially if it's a warlock drinking something meant for a wizard without any care for finding out just what it does.

Ranting Fool
2012-06-30, 04:42 AM
This, except you could also only use the negative results from the Elixir (or at least chop off most of the good benefits). Not all potions are good, after all, and it's their own fault for assuming that they were just going to keep getting handouts. Especially if it's a warlock drinking something meant for a wizard without any care for finding out just what it does.

hehe now I don't want to cripple them :smalltongue:

They are level 8
Wizard (major crafter nut)
Warlock (drinker of said potion, all about the bluff/tricks/stealthy-ness)
Fighter/Knight/Dragon Rider (Not really silly enough to drink an unknown potion)
+What ever NPC they have along depending on adventure.

I forgot to mention that when the first potion was drunk the wizard fell into a coma and had a dream/vision of some long dead wizard guy explaining the use of the potion and congratulating him on passing the trials to earn it.

Not for my players

Well if they are bad and peek in they will only find out the first thing I plan to tell them when we next play, as the last thing they did was watch the Warlock drink the potion :smalltongue:

This new potion will have that "vision" but I plan to have it corrupted with someone else trying to leave a message give a small piece of one of the major plot arcs :smallbiggrin:

candycorn
2012-06-30, 05:02 AM
One thing you can try is a "mixed blessing".

For example: Gives a level 1 SLA, twice a day (make it useful), but whenever the SLA is used, the caster cannot lie for 12 hours. I would favor Charm Person for this.

Togo
2012-06-30, 08:18 AM
This might be suitable inspiration

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b