PDA

View Full Version : Help Salvage This Build

Dude_Here
2012-06-30, 07:45 AM
My original goal was to make a dwarf sword/board high AC build, but
after reading many posts it seems clear to me that a battlefield controller is much more viable and useful to a party.

I'm currently : Ranger 1(for going into deep warden)/Barb 1/Fighter 2
Feats I have now are combat expertise, improved trip, combat reflexes(to qualify for stand still at lvl 6) and power attack.

Right now I'm looking at :

Ranger 1/Barb 1/Fighter 2/Barb 2/Ranger 2/Crusader 2(for thicket of blades)/Ranger 3(free endurance feat and grab steadfast determination)/Deepwarden 2/Crusader 9

or

Ranger 1/Barb 1/Fighter 2/Crusader 5/Deepwarden 2/Crusader 9
(can qualify for ninth level manuevers)

I'm concerned about my will saves being subpar. If i used the first build I would get steadfast at ninth level but I would have to wait till level 12 on the second build.

BTW my dm allows the wolf totem barb option but doesn't give acess to the
improved trip feat till level 5 instead of level 2.:smallannoyed: That would've saved me a feat.

One last question. Is joyful noise a good 1st level bard spell? And can you recommend any good level 2 Bard and level 3 Wizard spells.

JeminiZero
2012-06-30, 11:13 AM
One last question. Is joyful noise a good 1st level bard spell?

Joyful Noise only useful in rather specific situations that rarely arise (unless your enemies are hammering you with silence spells all over the place). I wouldn't take it as a spell known. If you want it, its best to have it as a scroll for the occasion it is needed, and leave spells known for stuff that you will use everyday.

And can you recommend any good level 2 Bard and level 3 Wizard spells.

There are plenty of excellent level 3 wizard spells (Haste, Slow, Stinking Cloud etc), so you need to narrow down the question a bit more: Is there any particular role you want these spells to fulfil? Otherwise, if low will saves are a concern, Disobedience (Complete Scoundrel) to hedge out mind control might be useful.

Gwendol
2012-06-30, 11:36 AM
Knight gets good will saves. Three levels will give you bulwark of defence, which pairs nicely with thicket of blades.

Dude_Here
2012-07-01, 02:30 PM
The knight suggestion might work well; too bad my characters charisma blows-).

There are plenty of excellent level 3 wizard spells (Haste, Slow, Stinking Cloud etc), so you need to narrow down the question a bit more: Is there any particular role you want these spells to fulfil?

I was thinking mostly battlefield control spells. Stinking Cloud is must for sure.

Would I have a problem using the savage bard variant from UA for a sublime
cord build or would a standard bard be better?