PDA

View Full Version : Crits

Ridureyu
2012-06-30, 05:35 PM
In Dungeons & Dragons, rolling 20 is an automatic hit (critical), and rolling 1 is an automatic miss, regardless of your attack value or your opponent's defenses.

So therefore, I suggest the following:

1. Stat up a Human Infant.

2. Pit your adventuring party against 100 or more Human Infants.

3. Never, ever let your players live down the fact that they were all killed by a horde of marauding babies.

Techwarrior
2012-06-30, 05:37 PM
Nope, the wizard casts sleep on them all. Those babies probably don't even have hit dice yet, and if they do, they definitely don't deserve them.

Ridureyu
2012-06-30, 05:45 PM
Any parent knows that babies are immune to sleep!

KillianHawkeye
2012-06-30, 05:59 PM
Even if they hit, how much damage can a baby do??

Hmm... maybe if you statted them up as a swarm....

Grail
2012-06-30, 05:59 PM
Any parent knows that babies are immune to sleep!

QFT. :smalltongue:

Babies don't have much of a move rate though, and have reach of 0'

Techwarrior
2012-06-30, 06:00 PM
Nah, they aren't immune, they just get a racial bonus to their save. Optimize that DC!

Craft (Cheese)
2012-06-30, 06:13 PM
In Dungeons & Dragons, rolling 20 is an automatic hit (critical), and rolling 1 is an automatic miss, regardless of your attack value or your opponent's defenses.

So therefore, I suggest the following:

1. Stat up a Human Infant.

2. Pit your adventuring party against 100 or more Human Infants.

3. Never, ever let your players live down the fact that they were all killed by a horde of marauding babies.

This ignores critical confirmation (if they can only hit on a 20, they can only confirm a crit on a 20: 1/400 chance of happening) and the fact that, really, a baby is going to be doing 1 damage per normal hit, maximum, and a critical won't be doing that much more.

If you toss enough babies at an adventurer (assuming they don't do something like just teleport out) they'll die eventually, sure, but it'll take way more than 100 to do it.

Ridureyu
2012-06-30, 06:16 PM
Well yeah, I think the number determined (on this forum) for level 1 goblins vs a level 20 fighter was 1000+, so assume a lot more than just a hundred. That was a number pulled out of thin air.

HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF BABIES!

Night of the Living Babies

TuggyNE
2012-06-30, 06:31 PM
And what about DR, miss chances, fast healing, regeneration, non-lethal damage to take out the babies...?

(Or scintillating pattern. Babies have negative will save modifiers. :smalltongue:)

ClockShock
2012-06-30, 07:08 PM
I think I've found the plot hook for my next Call of Cthulhu campaign.