PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a class choice (3.5)

britefire
2012-06-30, 07:47 PM
Basically, I'm not sure what class to make in a 3.5 game starting soon. I'm looking for a spellcaster-class, no books banned/restricted. The game is starting at level one.

Edit: I'm looking for a non-spontaneous spellcaster, mix between blaster and utility. Psionics classes are fine, though I've never played one, and I think the only other caster in our party is going to be a cleric.

I'm fairly familiar with the PHB1 Spells, and working on learning more of the SC spells.

Anyone have a suggestion besides plain wizard/sorcerer?

Waker
2012-06-30, 07:55 PM
You'll need to give more of an idea of what you want. There are many different kinds of spellcasters available to play. Is there a certain role or idea you want to use? Do you have any preference for spontaneous or prepared spellcasting? What are the other players in your group playing?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-30, 07:56 PM
Beguiler (PH2) can be quite fun. Obligatory Beguiler Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=rgq44ii3f79d6sduv1rmg3eg27&topic=2322.0) link, the google can give you a few more.

A Beguiler 1/ Wizard 4/ Ultimate Magus (CM) is pretty good. Use Illumian (RoD) with Krau/anything and get Practiced Spellcaster: Beguiler by 5th level and you can put 10/10 UM spellcasting toward Wizard. Illumians are Humanoid (Human) so be sure to take Able Learner (RoD).

Salanmander
2012-07-01, 11:18 AM
I'm partial to spirit shaman. Spontaneous casting from the druid list, changing your spells known every day (but having fewer of them). Make sure to pick up spontaneous summoner!

They don't have *nearly* as many extra goodies as the druid has, but that's hardly a standard we can hold every class to, now is it?

eggs
2012-07-01, 11:19 AM
Truenamer.
<_<
>_>

Waker
2012-07-01, 11:22 AM
Truenamer.
<_<
>_>

Don't make me get out a rolled-up newspaper eggs. You'll traumatize the poor boy with suggestions like that. Did you want him to end up like poor Zaq?

HunterOfJello
2012-07-01, 11:35 AM
My short list for you would be:

Beguiler, Psion, and Archivist.

~
We could use a bit more information.

1. What are you attempting to accomplish with this character? Spellcasters can be Blasters, Healers, Buffers, Debuffers, Summoners, Controllers, Mixes between those, and Gods.

2. How familiar are you with the spell lists in the PHB1 and Spell Compendium?

3. How do you feel about Psionics and do you have knowledge of the Expanded Psionic Handbook and Complete Psionics?

4. Prepared spellcasting or spontaneous spellcasting? Spontaneous is much better for people who aren't used to preparing spells and don't have a wide knowledge of the spells in the books.

~~~

That said:

Spirit Shaman is good because you get to use all the druid spells spontaneously while also having a wide selection that you choose from per day.

Beguilers are great if you're not interested in blasting. They can fill lots of roles in a party except for that one.

Archivist is a divine wizard. They're cool as glob.

Dread Necromancer is always a choice for those interested.

Warmage is half-decent if you're only interested in blasting, although a sorcerer will likely do it better.

Favored Soul is almost decent. I suggest a Spontaneous Casting Cleric over it.

Clerics and Druids are always options. They are both beasts in their own ways. Clerics have lots of cool Prestige Classes and Druids are their own prestige class.

Psions are cool.

Erudites (Complete Psionics) are a rarely chosen class that are a kind of wizardly Psion. I've always been tempted to play one.

Swordsage is complained about often because it acts like a spellcaster in many ways. That can justify putting it on this list.

Duskblade is in a similar boat.

Ur-Priest is always a crazy option and a good choice as a spellcasting Prestige Class choice. Those are rare indeed.

Chameleon is the same. Prestige Class that works like a normal class and has it's own highly valuable spellcasting progression.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-01, 12:58 PM
Truenamer.
<_<
>_>

Don't make me get out a rolled-up newspaper eggs. You'll traumatize the poor boy with suggestions like that. Did you want him to end up like poor Zaq?

eggs, come on. He said starting at first level, not 16th.

My vote is for Shadowcaster.

VGLordR2
2012-07-01, 01:07 PM
If you want to have an interesting spellcaster, check out Korg the Magical (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049). He's pretty much the most awesome Wizard ever devised.

Wookie-ranger
2012-07-01, 01:29 PM
Dread Necromancer,
semi competent CHA caster, with self healing, dr/, and rebuke undead (+bonus to the amount of undead you can control)
Its a fun class to play, lots of flavor, and not too over powered.
Put some cross-class skill points in UMD, or try to get it on your skill list some how, to be come more versatile.

If the entire group is willing to spend a feat no one needs to worry about self healing.
If your main caster is a blaster, suggest Lord of Uttercold feat.

Vizzerdrix
2012-07-01, 01:40 PM
I'll second Dread Necro, but with a twist. Go int Mage of the Arcane Order. I'm playing one and its a ton of fun inna bun.

Time to run!

britefire
2012-07-02, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the help, Looking probably for a spell-preparing spellcaster.

I have a feeling that I will end up being the 4-person groups only spellcaster besides a cleric. I'm looking for a caster with good damage and utility, fairly familiar with PHB 1 spells, working on learning about the SC spells.

Randomguy
2012-07-02, 12:39 PM
It really does look like wizard is the best option for you.

Another alternative is the Wu-Jen, found in complete arcane, which is an oriental themed prepared caster with a mostly elemental spell list. It's not as strong as the wizard, but it still has a lot of versatility and a bit of blasting.

Druids have plenty of utility and blasting, and an animal companion to help out in melee. They've also got loads of battlefield control and wildshape.

Clerics also have both utility and blasting, but you've already got one of those.

Archivists are pretty much the only other prepared casting class there is. Basically clerics that need prayerbooks the same way a wizard needs a spellbook, but they have a bunch of neat class features and can learn other divine spells, like those on the druid list or spells that are only domain spells. It would probably overlap too much with the cleric already in your party.

Psyren
2012-07-02, 01:24 PM
A very fun and powerful prepared caster would be the Sha'ir. Is Dragon Compendium allowed?

Allanimal
2012-07-02, 01:44 PM
I'm partial to spirit shaman. Spontaneous casting from the druid list, changing your spells known every day (but having fewer of them). Make sure to pick up spontaneous summoner!

They don't have *nearly* as many extra goodies as the druid has, but that's hardly a standard we can hold every class to, now is it?

I'll second that. Spirit Shaman is a lot of fun.