PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Variants

Visivicous
2012-06-30, 10:08 PM
It's my understanding that Warlocks have some infernal heritage that fuels their special attacks/powers.

Are there any variants on the Warlock class that has the heritage from some other plane? Elemental, Divine, etc.

Perhaps even something that draws power from the positive energy plane (healer/scourge of undead), or from the negative energy plane (nuker/champion of undead)?

Specifically I am looking for some extra class options that are not very complicated for a Pathfinder game I might join soon. Homebrew stuff is ok, so long as its not unbalanced/over-powered.

Thanks for any help.

Theroc
2012-06-30, 10:22 PM
Well, Warlocks are a 3.5 class, which is mostly compatible with PF, but some GM/PFDM's do not accept 3.5 classes.

Also, basic Warlock 'fluff' states the connection can also be Fey in nature, meaning nature-spirit-y.

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-30, 10:30 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226021

here ya go. It's not PF, it's much better. It's 3.5. And has a undead heritage thing you can pick. Lot's o love there.

avr
2012-06-30, 10:33 PM
Dragonfire adepts (Dragon magic) are warlocks with a few changes who get their power from, well, dragons.

Visivicous
2012-06-30, 10:42 PM
Maybe my impression of Warlocks has been too heavily influenced by the Neverwinter Nights 2 computer game. I have a copy of the Tome of Magic, which I believe as the Warlock class in it. I'll have to brush up on my Warlock knowledge.

What I have in mind was variant that used the Warlock mechanics, but a different source of energy. So a positive energy variant would heal normal creatures with an Eldritch Blast, or damage undead. Invocations would need to be re-themed to fit with a positive energy/healing scheme.

Has anyone homebrewed something like this before? Or how about a playable version of True Speaker (I think that's also in Tome of Magic.).

I really just want a caster that can heal/support a group, but I do not want to be bogged down with spell slots or similar. At-will stuff like what the Warlock and (IIRC) the True Speaker have sounds fun.

Visivicous
2012-06-30, 11:22 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226021

here ya go. It's not PF, it's much better. It's 3.5. And has a undead heritage thing you can pick. Lot's o love there.

Thanks! Just read it over and this is very close to what I was looking for.

Theroc
2012-07-01, 12:22 AM
Warlock is in the complete Arcane.

Tome of Magic has the Binder, Shadowmage(Or something like that) and Truenamer.

There is a PrC in Complete Mage which encompasses the "Positive Energy Variant" you mention mechanically.