PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Simple, Modern Magic System.

Dr paradox
2012-07-01, 01:58 AM
So, I'm looking to start a game for some players new to RPGs.

The basic idea is that the world contains certain "natural Talents" when it comes to magic, and these abilities don't tend to manifest until adulthood. at this point, they're sought out by the rest of the magical community, and given the proper facilities to refine their skills. soooort of like Harry Potter, except a less well established community, more mysterious and wild magic, more dangerous monsters, no magic wands, and no kids.

Anyway, the players are a group of "Natural Talents" who are still in their teens, unaware of their abilities. unknown to them, an unknown force is seeking out and murdering Natural Talents before they can realize themselves. in the course of being hunted, the characters realize their powers and take thier first steps into a larger world.

I'm looking for a system that can do modern day, as well as magic in a variety of different types of powers that can be expanded on. things like one character being Pyrokinetic, or an illusionist, or telekinetic. basically superpowers. the key is the system being able to level up those abilities while still remaining those abilities.

any suggestions, or am I going to have to homebrew this?

Craft (Cheese)
2012-07-01, 02:32 AM
the key is the system being able to level up those abilities while still remaining those abilities.

Aside from this, everything else could be done with simple refluffing, it seems.

Though I'm not quite sure what you mean by this: Do you mean that a character gets only one spell, say, Fireball, and this spell gets stronger over time instead of the character getting access to new spells?

This sounds really close to the general conception of how mutant superhero powers work, but unfortunately I have no experience with the genre to make good recommendations. I'm almost certain, though, that you could make this work by refluffing a mutant-based system as "spells."

Also, I don't play GURPS, but if I remember correctly its default magic system has every spell as a separate skill: Add the houserule that a character can only take ranks in a single spell skill and you might be good to go from there.

It's not mechanically what you want, but Mage follows almost your exact premise. The difference is the mages are quite effectively organized and get a pretty broad range of things they can do with their spells.

Dr paradox
2012-07-01, 04:26 AM
what I mean more is this: you could start out with the ability to make existing flames increase in size and intensity, then choose to either branch out into producing flames or controlling flames. in the producing path, you can progress through "moves" like a flare, burning hands, fireball, firestorm, etc. I'm largely looking for a system who's leveling up is basically adding more types of things to do with a particular "type" of power.

unfortunately, GURPS is probably out, since this is a group of beginning players, and GURPS is notoriously complex. never played it myself, not opposed to giving it a whirl, but... I'd rather look for something easier to grasp.

Eldan
2012-07-01, 05:12 AM
You could probably take Shadowrun and refluff it heavily. Just start everyone off as a mage of some kind, hermetic or shaman.

Ashtagon
2012-07-01, 05:36 AM
d20 Modern / Urban Arcana, start the players out at 3rd or 4th level, so they can begins with decent hp but are only just on the cusp of getting their first bit of magic?

Jack of Spades
2012-07-01, 07:43 AM
The fluff sounds a lot like Mage in World of Darkness, but those mages are ridiculously powerful and can do just about whatever they want.

Other than that... Possibly a refluffed Mutants and Masterminds game? From what I've heard the powers system in that game is about what you're looking for.

Dhavaer
2012-07-01, 07:48 AM
The psionics system in Witchcraft is a bit like that.

Arbane
2012-07-01, 01:56 PM
unfortunately, GURPS is probably out, since this is a group of beginning players, and GURPS is notoriously complex. never played it myself, not opposed to giving it a whirl, but... I'd rather look for something easier to grasp.

GURPS isn't THAT bad - it just has a lot of optional rules. Leave those out at first and it's no worse than D&D 3.5. (Damning with faint praise, I know. :smallbiggrin: )

I see Mutants and Masterminds and Witchcraft have already been mentioned. The Dresden Files game might work, too, as it's all about Urban Fantasy.

Terraoblivion
2012-07-01, 02:35 PM
The fluff sounds a lot like Mage in World of Darkness, but those mages are ridiculously powerful and can do just about whatever they want.

Other than that... Possibly a refluffed Mutants and Masterminds game? From what I've heard the powers system in that game is about what you're looking for.

You don't need to refluff it, Mutants and Masterminds doesn't have fluff in any meaningful sense and even if it did, this easily falls under the heading of superpowers anyway. And, yeah, Mutants and Masterminds is definitely what I'd say is most fitting for this, just make sure to be heavily involved in character creation to make sure everything fits the setting and nobody does something hideously broken.