PDA

View Full Version : (Ex) Abilities and Psionic-Magic Transparency

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-01, 12:22 PM
Now, what follows is quite clearly cheesy if allowed, but I'm curious if RAW would indeed support it.

Psionics-Magic Transparency
Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

When the rule about psionics-magic transparency is in effect, it has the following ramifications.

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.

Magical Knack (Ex):
Primordial giants use all spell-like abilities at +1 caster level.

The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability, as is the manifestation of powers by creatures without a psionic class (creatures with the psionic subtype, also simply called psionic creatures). Usually, a psionic creature’s psi-like ability works just like the power of that name. A few psi-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

So my question is, would the Primordeal Giant special ability Magial Knack apply to the manifestation of powers? Although not explicitly called out, it seems as though it very well may. Note, not asking about the cheesiness factor, that is evident.

eggs
2012-07-01, 12:32 PM
Magic-Psionics transparency only affects spells, SLAs and magic items; (Ex) racial traits don't fall into those categories, so don't count.

You might make a case for it with an Ardent, Wilder or Psychic Warrior with the Magic Mantle, though.

Psyren
2012-07-01, 05:27 PM
Am I missing something? +1 CL isn't exactly "cheese."

NamelessNPC
2012-07-02, 02:31 AM
Also, CL ≠ ML, no matter how transparent you get.

TuggyNE
2012-07-02, 02:39 AM
Also, CL ≠ ML, no matter how transparent you get.

Um? So, what, the orange prism ioun stone, which is flavored more for psionics than traditional magic, doesn't/can't/won't give a manifester level boost?

NamelessNPC
2012-07-03, 01:10 AM
It won't give a bonus to ML and CL at the same time, is what I'm saying

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-03, 02:10 AM
Am I missing something? +1 CL isn't exactly "cheese."

The secret is that people will call it cheese so if you pretend it is in the first place people are more willing to help. Plus, the method of going about it was the cheesy part. It's definitely not Planar Shepherd or anything, but it is a nice something perk for half-giant psions.

Endarire
2012-07-03, 02:22 AM
I'd allow it, since my interpretation is that SLA = PLA under transparency, and it's explicitly stated that all psionic powers are PLAs.

Necroticplague
2012-07-03, 02:35 AM
I'd allow it, since my interpretation is that SLA = PLA under transparency, and it's explicitly stated that all psionic powers are PLAs.

So can you take Supernatural Transformation to make a manifester ignore PR and AoOs from manifesting, along with manifesting in any condition (no need for concentration checks)?

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-03, 11:41 AM
So can you take Supernatural Transformation to make a manifester ignore PR and AoOs from manifesting, along with manifesting in any condition (no need for concentration checks)?

And there's the cheesy inspiration.

Psyren
2012-07-03, 11:55 AM
By RAW however, only Spell-like Abilities labeled "Psionics" in a monster's entry (e.g. those of the Aboleth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/aboleth.htm) or Couatl (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/couatl.htm)) are also Psi-like Abilities.

And it doesn't go the other way - there are no Psi-like Abilities that are explicitly stated to be spell-like abilities. This includes the actual manifestation of psionic powers. So Supernatural Transformation, in addition to being thoroughly broken, is not RAW.

A RAW way to get supernatural psionics is via Binder (and Anima Psion.)