PDA

View Full Version : Free Random NPC Generator and a way to feel good about yourself.

TheDarkSaint
2012-07-01, 12:28 PM
My current GM is a pretty good guy. We have players across the world (Australia, Japan, America and Italy) and the dude gets up at 3:00 AM to run the game for us via Ventrilo and Gametable. It's fun and I really appreciate what he's done.

Because of that, I'm posting something up here that he created that could be quite useful to interested DM's. It's a Random NPC generator that can get really specific on jobs, clothing, personality and is easily customizable.

He's got a pretty hard luck story, loosing his whole restaurant business in Japan to the Tsunami and reactor leak in 2010 and he's trying to start over here in America.

The generator is free to anyone who would like it. I'm going to try to get him to set up a paypal account to accept any possible donations you guys may want to help out with. His story and generator are below.

http://blog.thingscorp.com/2012/06/kusaka-dream-we-have-and-how-you-can.html

Lionheart
2012-07-02, 02:38 AM
Possibly this is just due to my massive failure with all forms of technology, but I can't seem to get it working :S

I've made selections from each of the drop down menus, but when I press F9, nothing happens. I'm probably just being an idiot, but is there any assistance you can offer?

Once I get it working, I'm sure it'll be fantastic! :D

Frenth Alunril
2012-07-02, 01:21 PM
...but I can't seem to get it working :S

Thanks for pointing out this little issue, Lionheart.

Hi, First, I would like to thank TheDarkSaint. You are a good friend, Sir.

Second. Some people may have a problem with this file. If you are using it in excel 2003, you may have to go into tools / add-ins and select the two toolpacks, they help excel run functions, and some of the functions only work with those enabled.

I built this is Open Office, and I didn't have to turn anything on to get it working, but I remember my days working at a company where every time I had to show someone how to save some time I had to turn on those tool packs.

If course, if you have any feedback, or would like to see anything added, please contact me via the email address in the file. Thanks.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-07-02, 01:38 PM
I built this is Open Office, and I didn't have to turn anything on to get it working

What version? I have 3.2.0 (ancient, I know) and it's not working. Will I need to update?

Frenth Alunril
2012-07-02, 02:35 PM
What version? I have 3.2.0 (ancient, I know) and it's not working. Will I need to update?

Thats a good question, checking... 3.3.0?

Which doesn't explain anything at all, let me be sure I didn't monkey this up too bad, going back in, and will be back in a sec...

I have no idea why it's not working for you. I will test on the Japanese computer in a moment. I have uploaded a link on the same site that has the .ods file, which might help.

Since you spoke of updates, I just went to 3.4.0

Craft (Cheese)
2012-07-02, 09:35 PM
Ahh, thank you: It works now. I'll be sure to have plenty of fun with this thing!

Frenth Alunril
2012-07-02, 09:38 PM
Ahh, thank you: It works now. I'll be sure to have plenty of fun with this thing!

Sweet, let us know what you think. Now, I'm going back to learning about black holes...he he he