PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky dragon-type character assistance [3.5]

mattie_p
2012-07-01, 12:31 PM
So I'm working with a player on developing a PC for an upcoming session. She wants to play a sneaky flying fire-breathing dragon type, skill monkey/SA focused.

Off the top of my head, I'm feeling dark or shadow template, half dragon template, followed by class levels, but the LA would be almost prohibitive, and no flying unless selecting a large base creature for more HD and LA. I know there are better options. Can you help us out with some ideas? Almost all sources are available, if you mention something I don't have I can probably find it within my circle of friends.

Thanks!

EDIT: probably should mention starting ECL is around 8.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-01, 12:48 PM
If Pathfinder is on the table, a Synthesist Summoner could probably be able to accomplish this to some extent, though the fire breathing would need to wait for a higher level. Since I'm assuming 3.5, you'll have a lot more trouble. Maybe go for a Silverbrow Dragon Fire Adept with the Dark template for sneakyness and the Draconic Heritage feats up to Wings? It's only LA+1 and a flying sneaky guy with fire breath. Sure, the flight is slow, but it's a lot better than an LA+5 version.

Or, since you're the GM, allow her to play a Wyrmling Red Dragon at a reduced LA, then have her take Rogue levels when she levels up? You've got a lot of room to make bad options less bad as the GM.

mattie_p
2012-07-01, 12:55 PM
I considered briefly allowing straight dragon, but doesn't really work well for the campaign, as it is not straight dungeon delving. I'm willing to manually adjust LA slightly, as it usually hoses PCs, but 7 racial HD + 4 LA is = ECL 8 is further than I am willing to go.

I'll go check out the draconic heritage feat tree again.

Urpriest
2012-07-01, 01:00 PM
Dragonborn will give you the wings or the fire breath, though not both.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-01, 01:03 PM
How about a wymrling Steel Dragon Swordsage?
Since Steel Dragons can assume human form, he could function just fine in most places. Add the feats and spells from Dragons of Eberron and he could function well in a half-dragon form and a humanoid form as well.

Axinian
2012-07-01, 01:06 PM
One level of rogue followed by Dragonfire Adept works. The DFA Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870954/The_New_Dragonfire_Adept_Handbook!) has a more detailed description of such builds.

That_guy_there
2012-07-01, 02:49 PM
Sneaky, flying, skill monkey/ SA focused feels like a Dragonwrought Kobold to me (With Draconic Wings @ level 3) found in the Dragonomicon. Add the Underfoot Combat &Confound the big Folk tactical feat from Races of the Wild and you've got a fast and powerful little guy.
As for firebreathing... harder but Half-dragon and the Dragon Breath feat at 6HD could fix that... (though I'd concider letting a Dragonwrought Kobold Qualify for the feat anyway since you seem willing to help the PC make the character).

mattie_p
2012-07-01, 02:53 PM
DFA is looking better and better. Draconic heritage feats are probably out due to the sorcerer class requirement and the necessity to cast spells to keep the benefits up.

I'll look at dragonborn, book is loaned out at the moment, but I'll have the player read the DFA handbook. Thanks for the link, but longer than I expected. I'll have to check to see if DWK will suit her, she seemed real intent that her character be larger than the average human (not necessarily size large, but 6 feet tall). Good ideas so far.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-01, 03:10 PM
This linked article describes what you need to know for Dragonborn. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b) Until 13th level their flight is limited, but combined with a Sneakyfire Adept build should fulfill all your requirements. I honestly have no idea why I suggested Silverbrow Human and a bunch of bad Feats when Dragonborn offers everything you need along with DFA.

Waker
2012-07-01, 03:34 PM
Raptoran Dragonborn Dragonfire Adept. You can fly, have heightened senses and have a breath weapon. Raptoran lets you fly, Dragonborn with the Mind aspect and Adept gives you the breath weapon and magic. You are a dragon in most respects, except you aren't really big.

Diovid
2012-07-02, 01:56 AM
Dragonborn Raptoran Rogue going into Hand of the Winged Masters (a sneaky draconic prc)?