PDA

View Full Version : Megadungeon B (IC)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Malimar
2015-04-11, 07:44 PM
DM

If you want to do that:

On the surface, there were a handful of decent-sized boulders nearby that one might roll over to plug up the hole. Or one could just shovel a bunch of dirt into it or something -- the tunnel passes through solid rock for most of its length, but there's at least several feet of looser dirt up near the top of the tunnel that could be collapsed for a more thorough job. And I'm of course open to other suggestions.

Rizban
2015-04-11, 07:46 PM
Shian

"Of course, we could be a little more enterprising and expand this tunnel a bit and collapse all the other entrances to the special tombs and charge entry fees for others seeking to benefit from the tombs... I don't know if Doldor would be okay with that though..."

RaggedAngel
2015-04-11, 09:20 PM
Doldor

Doldor shrugs, scratching his beard as he thinks for a moment. "We were hired to, what, find all the tombs and figure out how to bypass their challenges for our employer? I don't remember exactly, to be honest. Personally I think we should just leave the hole how it is. It lets a little sunlight and fresh air in here, so maybe it'll start degrading the necromantic aura that's filled this place."

Sliver
2015-04-12, 12:14 AM
Scarecrow

"The main entrance was open and none of the undead seemed to be leaving... I don't think it matters. Let's just continue." Scarecrow says, and if there is no objections, he begins going south, intent on heading to the room north of the evocation aura, using the secret door to leave the room.

Artorias
2015-04-12, 02:23 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius follows Scarecrow, not having an opinion on that dilemma and not caring much about what happens with the hole.

Malimar
2015-04-12, 03:27 PM
DM

For now, it would seem the party is leaving the new warm-worm-tunnel alone for now, yes?

Scarecrow heads south via the secret door, then the other secret door! Cautiously, into the room with the sarcophagi, where the flying stingray-monsters were seen -- but it would appear somebody has let them out while you rested, because they are no longer in this room.

So onwards, to the rubble room where Timothy once dwelt! Which is similarly empty!

And then into the long room with the mysterious stairs down at the south end! Here, something happens as the party files into the room! And by "something" I mean "nothing", other than a faint bad feeling about the situation. But the feeling doesn't linger, and the party presses onwards!

Hallway, hallway, everything is much as the party left it previously, except the doors have been closed.

And then they find themselves at a door where Scarecrow sensed evocation on a previous visit! Brutus growls at the door, smelling something he doesn't like behind all the nearby doors.

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎##╪#####.# #.#######.# #.#
‎╪..CLDbH.# #.#0#0#0#.# #.#
‎###╪###### #.╪.....*.# #.#
‎ #.##0#0##.# #.#
‎ #####.#######?# #.#‎
‎ ╪.....# #.#‎
‎ ####### #.#‎
‎ #.#‎
‎ #.╪‎
‎ #.#‎
‎ #.#‎
‎ #.#‎
‎ #╪#‎

. = floor
, = loose rubble (difficult terrain)
# = wall
% = thick rubble (impassable)
¶ = wall under the effect of a hardening spell
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down
* = defeated foe / smashed door

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus

Rizban
2015-04-12, 04:58 PM
Shian

"Wait a moment before opening the door."

Shian checks for traps. Take 20 (35).

Malimar
2015-04-13, 09:43 AM
DM

Shian finds no traps (nor does he find any on either of the other nearby doors).

Sliver
2015-04-13, 09:45 AM
Scarecrow

After scanning for magic, Scarecrow opens the door, ready to blow fire at enemies.

[roll0]

Artorias
2015-04-13, 10:14 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius gets ready to move inside the room and attack.

Action
If the enemy has 2 legs and is medium sized or smaller he tries to trip him

Trip attack roll: [roll0]
Strength check: [roll1]
Bonus attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] (punishing stance)

If the enemy is hard to trip (He has more than 2 legs or is Large) or can't be tripped he uses the "Mountain Hammer" maneuver.
Attack
Attack roll: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] (Normal Attack + Punishing Stance + Mountain Hammer)

If the enemy does not die or there is more than one enemies he stops using the "Punishing Stance"

AoO
If the enemy can be tripped and he provokes an AoO he tries to trip him. (Priority in AoO so if there is more than one enemies in the room he tries to trip anyone coming towards him.)
AoO:
Trip attack roll: [roll6]
Strength check: [roll7]
Bonus attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

If the enemy is tripped and tries to stand up he strikes him.
AoO:
Attack roll: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]

Rizban
2015-04-13, 04:11 PM
Shian

"Looks safe. Let's open it."

He readies an attack against a hostile creature when Scarecrow opens the door.

Dissolving Spittle – [roll0] – [roll1]
[roll2]

RaggedAngel
2015-04-13, 08:51 PM
Doldor

Doldor and Brutus can't get close enough to the door to ready an attack, but the two nontheless prepare to defend themselves.

Total Defense for both of them, assuming they're not adjacent to the door.

Malimar
2015-04-15, 10:46 AM
DM

Scarecrow opens the door! (The southern door, to where he detected powerful evocation magic, yes?)

The room you see is another burial chamber, with ten small niches along the long walls, a barnacle-encrusted urn in each niche. To the south is a pair of grand double doors that appear to have a large face engraved upon them. Refuse litters the floor, but you don't have time to sift through it yet, because, as you suspected, there is a monster present!

Patrolling this area is a human-sized snake made of bones (or, put another way, a snake skeleton), with a fanged human skull for a head! It is a little ways away.

Combat begins! Everybody's got readied actions (even Leontius, who did specify moving but he can't actually reach it this round until it moves and anyway it's easier that everybody have readied actions rather than mixing up full combat turns with readied actions), none of which go off just yet!

The skeletal snake monster moves up 30' --

So Shian's readied action goes off, and naturally he hits the creature, and damages it. It leaves a few ribs behind, the force of the acidic blast melting them off.

Scarecrow's readied action goes off, too, and he breathes fire on the skeletal monster, which fails its save and takes the full brunt of the attack.

-- and then the creature stops a bit away. Leontius, Shian, and Scarecrow, peering in through the doorway, watch and see as it rears up like a cobra and... begins to sway hypnotically. Scarecrow and Leontius shake off the effects, but Shian is hypnotized by the mesmerizing swaying, and suffers the dazed condition (can take no actions but takes no other penalties) until the monster stops dancing. (Doldor and Brutus cannot yet see the creature or its mesmerizing dance.)

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎╪.HCLDb..# #.#0#0#0#.# #.#
‎###|###### #.╪.....*.# #.#
‎ #.....# #.##0#0##.# #.#
‎ #.s...#####.#######?# #.#‎
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.╪‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ ╪.....# #.#‎
‎ ╪.....# #╪#‎
#.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus
s = skeletal snake monster

RaggedAngel
2015-04-15, 11:41 AM
Doldor

"What's in there?" Doldor asks, unsure if he should charge in, summon something, or flee.

Talking is a free action. :smallwink:

Rizban
2015-04-15, 05:12 PM
Shian

The little bird replies ".............."

Sliver
2015-04-15, 10:10 PM
Scarecrow

"It's a skele-snake." Scarecrow says, edging into the room and burning the skeleton more.

Move 10ft to be just north-east of the snake and flame it.

[roll0]

Artorias
2015-04-16, 05:24 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius enters the room, trying to not stand in the door if he can and attacks the snake.
He uses the "Mountain Hammer" maneuver to strike the Snake.
Mountain Hammer Maneuver
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] (Normal Attack + Punishing Stance + Mountain Hammer)

If he has to make a will save he uses "Moment of Perfect Mind" to change the will save to Concentration save.
[roll2]

If he used "Moment of Perfect Mind" for the previous will save he strikes the snake normally and makes a swift movement to regain his maneuvers instead of using the "Mountain Hammer" maneuver.
Attack roll: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

I changed to the new sheet system so here it is: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=158282

Malimar
2015-04-16, 03:08 PM
DM

Leontius, Brutus, Doldor, and Scarecrow all pile into the room to attack the monster. Leontius's weapon lodges harmlessly in the monster's ribs (failing by 1 point to penetrate its natural armor), Doldor and Brutus probably get hits in, but Scarecrow for sure lands a blow that'll kill it. I was going to correct myself, but no, it is a pun, I am chortling right now, he blows fire on the enemy and it dies, it is the killing blow.

The monster's animating principle is exhausted; its scorched and melted ribs and vertebrae and skull collapse and scatter on the floor.

As soon as the creature collapses, Shian is freed from his hypnosis.

Everybody gains 150XP!

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎╪.H......# #.#0#0#0#.# #.#
‎ #bDCL.# #.##0#0##.# #.#
‎ #.*...#####.#######?# #.#‎
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.╪‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ ╪.....# #.#‎
‎ ╪.....# #╪#‎
#.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus
s = skeletal snake monster

RaggedAngel
2015-04-16, 03:56 PM
Doldor

Doldor shakes his head at the snake skeleton. "Why can't all our enemies be like that? That was nice. We just walked in and de-animated it." He looks back to Shian. "You okay? Kinda spaced out there."

Artorias
2015-04-16, 04:49 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius strikes the air in front of him and makes a swift movement to regain his maneuvers.

I can do that, correct? Or should I attack a party member and roll an intentional 1? Or does it have to be an enemy?

RaggedAngel
2015-04-16, 05:30 PM
You can just swing in the air, no need for a real attack.

Sliver
2015-04-16, 10:54 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow moves slowly, scanning for magic, but something in him seems to groan at the pun the universe made at his expense. He adds the room to the map and identifies whatever he finds, hoping that Shian, now out of the trance, will also search the room for anything of value.

You start all encounters with your maneuvers readied, so there is no need to do that.

Also, I wanted to check the smaller room that the door at the end of the hallway led to, not this one. That's what I meant by "the room north of the evocation aura". This one I intended for us to enter from both doors at the same time. At least we dealt with it swiftly, so no harm done.

Malimar
2015-04-17, 11:07 AM
DM

Yes, whichever way, Leontius's maneuvers are readied.

Also, I wanted to check the smaller room that the door at the end of the hallway led to, not this one. That's what I meant by "the room north of the evocation aura". This one I intended for us to enter from both doors at the same time. At least we dealt with it swiftly, so no harm done.

That makes sense. Oops: my bad. Wasn't sure at first if you meant the little room or the throne room or just the hallway itself, then it slipped my mind altogether that you'd specified the room north of this one.

Scarecrow detects magic and Shian searches the room!

The ten niches along the walls contain burial urns, and some of the niches also contain a handful of barnacle-encrusted gold coins, 54 in total.

The evocation aura turns out to come from a thick leather-bound book lying in the detritus on the floor. It is labeled in what appears to be Infernal. When Scarecrow attempts to identify it, his powers briefly fritz out and the identification fails. This is item #103.

As for the double doors to the south: I was mistaken, there isn't a face carved into them. Trick of the light, I guess. Instead, engraved upon the doors in Dwarven is the inscription: "Tomb of Savzad the Bard-Queen: Come Not Without Gripping Tales". The door does not appear to have a lock.

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎╪........# #.#0#0#0#.# #.#
‎ #.....# #.##0#0##.# #.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #..C..####### #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ #...H.# #.╪‎
‎ #.b...# #.#‎
‎ ¶.....# #.#‎
‎ ╪.D...# #.#‎
‎ ╪.....# #╪#‎
¶.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus

Sliver
2015-04-17, 12:15 PM
Scarecrow

"My guess is that this book is one of those copies of the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil that had a posting of back in town. Let's not try and read it, shall we?" He says. "Before heading into the tomb, I want to check the other room..."

Unless anyone objects, Scarecrow moves to open the door, after he scans it for magic and Shian checks for traps.

Ready action to fire at foes: [roll0]

Artorias
2015-04-17, 01:03 PM
Leontius/Erebus

"What's an "Evil Encyclopedia of Evil"? I would actually like to read it unless it has harmful effects to the reader. It's magical, correct?" He moves to the door of the next room, preparing to jump in and attack when the door opens.

Action
Leontius enters the room once the door is opened by an ally (or an enemy but I doubt that they will open the door) and if it has opponents he attacks them:

If the enemy is hard to trip (He has more than 2 legs or is Large) or can't be tripped he uses the "Mountain Hammer" maneuver.
Attack

If the enemy does not die or there is more than one enemies he stops using the "Punishing Stance"

AoO
If the enemy can be tripped and he provokes an AoO he tries to trip him. (Priority in AoO so if there is more than one enemies in the room he tries to trip anyone coming towards him)
AoO:

If the enemy is tripped and tries to stand up he simply strikes him.
AoO:

RaggedAngel
2015-04-17, 02:15 PM
Doldor

Doldor picks up the book gingerly, as someone might touch something burning hot, and then he stuffs it in his pack, down to the bottom. "Sorry, Leontius, but there's no way you should read one of these things unless you know exactly what you're doin'; and even then, I don't think it wise."

He gestures downwards. "There's a lot of evils in the dark places, and these books contain knowledge of most of them. Maybe all of them, since we don't know how many pieces the Encyclopedia has. What happens if you open that to a page of some horrible, sleeping god-monster, and just by thinking its name you wake it up? What if there's a picture of something that drives you mad by looking at it? I might not be a cleric, but I'm Good-aligned and I cast divine magic. I've gotta draw a line here."

Sliver
2015-04-17, 02:52 PM
Scarecrow

"The Evil in its name describes not only the content, but the book itself. A job posting made by Numiel's Archbishop advises against reading these books, and I'm inclined to agree. A church of Quasxthe is also interested in these books, and the reward is quite substantial, but I rather not turn such a book over to them..." Scarecrow says quietly before proceeding with the plan.

Artorias
2015-04-17, 03:53 PM
Leontius/Erebus

"I..." His voice and posture change, gaining emotion, his anger spewing out like flames as he speaks. "You wish to throw away something that could grant us power to people that would let it rot?! If there are more copies of it it is bound to be used anyways so we will be doing no harm. I highly doubt that a book can awaken a god or drive someone mad but I am willing to take the risk!" He holds out his hand, waiting for Doldor to give him the book.

Sliver
2015-04-17, 06:00 PM
Scarecrow

"You are delusional if you think it will grant you anything but suffering. The realms of demons give nothing for free, and the cost is always higher than the gain." Scarecrow says, scolding.

Rizban
2015-04-17, 06:09 PM
Shian

"I am inclined to agree. The realms of demons consume all they touch. However, the realms of devils... Well, that depends largely on your bargaining skill. Something about being inherently forced by their very nature to uphold the bargains they strike. Still, it should be quite obvious that nothing Good can come of Evil, even when binding said Evil into a contract for the sake of Good. I too must, reluctantly, oppose such. Power for power's own sake always corrupts in the end, regardless of your starting intentions... No matter how alluring said power may be."

Shian looks at the book wistfully for a moment but turns away from it in disgust before Doldor packs it away. Whether that disgust is at the book or at himself remains unclear.

Sliver
2015-04-17, 06:19 PM
Scarecrow

Nodding, Scarecrow adds. "There is also the magical nature of the book to consider. It is powerful magic, beyond any of us, and it is resistant to identification. That is the mark of artifacts of great power, and when attached to something of evil nature..." He turns to Leontius. "Magical writings can have dangerous influence on those who read them, with many simple spells known to do such things. You have no experience with such things, it would be foolish to attempt with something so much more complex and powerful. None of us are equipped to handle such a thing, and this is neither the place nor time to argue otherwise."

Artorias
2015-04-17, 06:30 PM
Leontius/Erebus

His rage slowly subsides and after a few seconds he says "Of course, you are correct. We should move on but I don't plan on letting the book go to waste though. We should make the most of it."

RaggedAngel
2015-04-17, 10:51 PM
Doldor

Doldor had been frowning since the beginning of the conversation, and by the end of it he has grown rather concerned. He walks over to Leontius, staring into the much taller man's eyes. Bloodred eyes, the only thing visible through Leontius's eerie mask. "You're acting a little odd, lad. More than a little odd. And when you're down in a place like this, that isn't something you ignore or brush off. We've encountered a demon, lots of undead, and all other manner of creature."

Doldor crosses his arms. "Can you show me your face? I'm not going any further until you prove you're who you say you are. I've got too much to do to let myself get stabbed in the back down here because I wasn't cautious enough."

He's got 17 points of Wisdom, might as well act like it.

Artorias
2015-04-17, 11:58 PM
Leontius/Erebus

"And you will know If I am not the owner of this body from seeing it's face for the first time?! Well, if you think that it will help you in discerning if I am the true owner of my body or not then go ahead." He removes the mask, revealing his horribly scarred face filled with cuts, burn marks and a branding mark in the loose shape of a dragon. His silver eyebrows reveal that the blood of dragons flows in his bloodline. "So, who am I, druid? Am I the true owner? Have you figured anything out?" His aggressive tone spiting out like acid.

Sliver
2015-04-18, 12:11 AM
Scarecrow

Doldor's words had some sense in them. Leontius wasn't usually so loud and venomous. He quietly scans him for magic.

Rizban
2015-04-18, 12:19 AM
Shian

The bird flits back and forth through the air anxiously.

"So... Done yet? I'm ready to get moving again. Really, we've tarried here long enough.

Two of us want to dump the book for a reward, one wants to keep it as a reward, and the last doesn't care. Fact of the matter is, no matter what we decide, the decision can wait until later. We're still in a dungeon with undead to kill and sarcophagi to pillage."

Artorias
2015-04-18, 12:32 AM
Leontius/Erebus

No magic emanates from him, not any that I know about at least.

"I am willing to sell it but only to the highest bidder and only after I see that it contains no useful information. We live in a drowned world, destroyed by a mad god. I don't want power for power's sake but to survive by using that power. Anyway, have you seen enough of my face to realize that I am myself? Let's move on and we will talk about the book once we are back on the surface." He returns his mask onto his horribly scarred face and returns to his position.

Malimar
2015-04-18, 04:19 PM
DM

With the argument over the book settled (for now), the party lines up outside the little room, yes? Yes!

The door opens unlockedly, revealing a small room! It appears to be a bathroom, from the sink and the benches-with-big-dark-holes-in-them and the other accoutrements of a bathroom. The wooden dividers between the stalls have long since rotted away, and everything else is covered in the detritus of the sea. On one wall, under a scattering of barnacles, is scrawled a graffiti in red which reads "MAY THE WATERS DROWN YOUR FACE" in Dwarven.

The monster in this room blends in well with the rest of the detritus. Brutus barks, having detected something he doesn't like, but the party sees it not, despite knowing that something is there.

A small blob of decomposing matter covering the ground, with several small mushrooms sprouting from the patch. It doesn't stand out until it draws attention to itself by extruding a small tubule and firing a glob of acid at Scarecrow. It pegs him in the chest for 5 acid damage. Almost immediately, tiny mushroom-like growths sprout from the slightly dissolved area of Scarecrow's chest plating, and... it turns out he's immune to disease (which I'm going to say this counts as), so he is otherwise unaffected by the spores.

Doldor identifies the Small patch of mushrooms as a phycomid, a terrible fungus whose spores can easily be deadly to unwary adventurers. Any appropriate host struck by one of those spores (who fails their fortitude save) is fated to die an unpleasant mushroomy death and become a new phycomid, unless somebody hits him with remove disease (or similar spell) within a few hours, as the mushrooms parasitize their host.

Having identified the presence (and, in Doldor's case, the properties) of the monster, it is at this point that readied actions go off.

Shian, Doldor, and Brutus, um... take total defense for now!

Scarecrow breathes fire, and the phycomid just barely fails to squelch out of the way of the main brunt of the blast. (Scorched barnacle shells fall from the walls.)

Leontius walks up to within range. The creature is a blob of decaying matter and fungus, and thus I'm gonna say difficult to trip. So Leontius Mountain Hammers it! But his blow is ill-placed and fails to penetrate the tough, mushroomy pile of decaying matter. Then he slips out of his Punishing Stance.

The phycomid's attack was either a surprise round or a readied action, so it now and henceforth goes last. It extrudes its tubule again, and attempts to make a ranged attack, which provokes!

This time Leontius strikes true, and would critically hit if this monster had organs, but it doesn't, so it's merely a superb blow that sends mushrooms splatting against the wall.

Then the creature misses Leontius with its blob of acid, for the good and sufficient reason that it is dead now.

That was fast.

Leontius gains 338 XP; Scarecrow, Shian, and Doldor gain 300XP each.

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎#######╪#####.# #.#######.# #.#
#u.*.LC.DH....# #.#0#0#0#.# #.#
‎#..uu###b###### #.╪.....*.# #.#
‎#######.....# #.##0#0##.# #.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.╪‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶.....# #.#‎
‎ ╪.....# #.#‎
‎ ╪.....# #╪#‎
¶.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down
u = miscellaneous bathroom apparatus

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus

Sliver
2015-04-19, 10:25 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow brushes off the growth that attempted to root itself on his plating as he looks around the bathroom. "An interesting place." He says, scanning the room for magic. "Want to search it?" He asks Shian.

With the bathroom break done with, Scarecrow intends to head into the tomb of the bard-queen. Founder of the dwarven nation, that is quite an achievement...

We only have the tomb of the hunter left to locate, right?

RaggedAngel
2015-04-21, 10:04 AM
Doldor

The dwarf gazes around the room, but when no other obvious threats present themselves he shrugs. Then he remembers that he has stonecunning, and he takes a moment to search the place for unusual stonework or stone traps. Because Dwarves Have a Racial Feature For ThatTM.

After that exciting bit of searching he looks back to the others. "Alright, on to the queen's tomb. I've got a good story or two, I suppose. Kinda looking forward to this one."

Search: [roll0]

Malimar
2015-04-21, 11:04 AM
DM

Scarecrow's detect magic detects, in the heap of garbage refuse that was the phycomid, a partially-rotten scroll! It's labeled in Auran, but the label is damaged and incomplete. However, when he identifies it, it is revealed to be a divine scroll of hold person (CL3).

We only have the tomb of the hunter left to locate, right?Correct.

Shian's search (of the dead phycomid refuse, mostly, but also the room) turns up 293.51gp in miscellaneous coins (mostly platinum and gold but with a few silver and copper thrown in) and a heliodore gem (a sort of gold-colored beryl). The gem, of unknown value, is item #104.

Doldor's search of the room turns up no unusual stonework, but he does find a small metal key in the corner. The key looks not very many years old, and is nondescript except for the emblem of the Endeesy Adventurer's Guild that constitutes the, uh, the end that isn't the business end. The bow is apparently the technical term for this part of the key: the bow of this key is the emblem of the Adventurer's Guild. This nonmagical key is item #105.

RaggedAngel
2015-04-21, 02:00 PM
Doldor

The coins are divided per usual, during which Brutus attempts to argue his case for getting a cut of the coin in doggy-speak. Per usual, no one understands him, and his rightfully-earned fifth of the loot is not given to him. Brutus consoles himself with the fact that he is above their petty lust for gold.

"Alright, then. On to the Bard-queen's tomb?" Doldor steps back out into the hallway. "You know, that reminds me of a joke. Gnomish in origin, I believe. It goes something along these lines: 'A rogue can kill a man in a second. A warrior can kill a two men in a few seconds. A wizard can kill ten men in a few seconds. And a bard can talk those three into killing men for him.'"

He bumbles the punchline of the joke a bit, unsurprisingly, but he chuckles all the same. "It makes sense that the person in charge would be a bard, I guess. They can be silly, but it takes a certain something to be a leader. I wish I had more of that, to be truthful."

Oops, I think I'm getting character building in your grindy dungeon crawl. I'm bad like that. :smallwink:

Sliver
2015-04-21, 03:38 PM
Scarecrow

"Anyone can be a good leader." Scarecrow says as he walks back to the tomb's entrance. "It's the person that leads, not his classification. A warrior has the experience and skill to rally his people and lead an attack, a mage has the intelligence it takes to lead in numbers, a priest has his wisdom and devotion to inspire others to follow, a bard has his charisma and gathered knowledge... It makes sense for one to lead as much as another." Scarecrow shrugs. "Great leaders are born out of good people in desperate times, not from training in song and dance, the blade, the arcane or divine. Be true to yourself and seize the opportunity, and perhaps you will be a leader. Or perhaps not, for a lot more are destined to follow than to lead. There is no shame there, either."

RaggedAngel
2015-04-21, 03:45 PM
Doldor

The dwarf spends a long moment looking at the seaforged, pondering him. The he claps Scarecrow on the shoulder. "I've said it before, lad, I'll say it again. You're going to make a great dragon one day."

Artorias
2015-04-21, 03:54 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius simply nods, wears his mask and continues moving forward after his body portrays no emotion and returns to it's regular, almost robotic stance.

Rizban
2015-04-22, 12:31 AM
Shian

"So... Are we entering the bardic tomb? We've entered all the others thus far."

Sliver
2015-04-22, 12:44 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow nods quietly, both to Doldor and to Shian. He opens the door.

Malimar
2015-04-22, 12:53 PM
DM
Scarecrow throws open the doors, and reveals... another pair of doors, 10' down the hall!

Remember how I lied and said the first pair of doors had a face carved into it? Well, this second pair of wooden doors really does have a bearded face carved into it, perfectly preserved as if the Inundation had never happened, split right down the middle by the seam of the doors. The face looks a bit excited to see you.

When you approach, the face's wooden mouth opens, and it speaks to the party, saying in archaic Common, "Greetings! Can you tell me a story about... nature?"

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
#u.*.|........# #.#0#0#0#.# #.#
‎#..uu###|###### #.╪.....*.# #.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.╪‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎ ╪CD|b....# #.#‎
‎ ╪LH|.....# #╪#‎
¶¶¶¶.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-04-22, 04:38 PM
Doldor

The druid can barely contain his grin at the question. "A story about nature, my friend? I daresay I've got a few, or I'd hardly be deserving of my title. Now then, let me think about this for a moment. A good story can't be rushed."

He pauses for a moment, contemplative, looking at the stone around him. He nods, then looks back to the door. "My calling name is Doldor, and I've taken the name Wildheart. My people live on metal ships today, but once they lived in the deep places of the world, with rock and stone. Dwarves, we were in the human tongue, but in our tongue we were simply the People, or the Strong. When people think of nature they think of the trees and sky and hills, and that is fair; such things are indeed natural. But so are caves, underground rivers, and veins of molten rock that flow from the very heart of the world."

He leans back a bit, settling into the rhythm of the tale. "But once, ages before ages ago, there were no trees and hills and sky, only rock, and only stone. The world was dark, as dark as night, and only things that lived were funguses and vermin and deep, sightless fish. And the gods looked upon the world, and they were bored by it. They paid it no heed, all of them, all but one; the Father of the Dwarves. His name is lost to me, but he looked at the deep sightless places and he decided to fill them hands to mold them, minds to shape them, hearts to love them. He decided to make a people, and that people could enjoy the simple beauty of the deep dark world."

Doldor takes a pull from his waterskin, then continues. "He made them stout and strong, because he knew the dangers of the earth and stone. He gave them eyes that could see without light, because light was hard to come by. He gave them strong stomachs, for much of what lived was poisonous or vile. He gave them a keen sense of stone, so they could know what was safe and what was fragile. And then he gave them one last thing, almost an afterthought. He gave them a sense of depth."

Doldor lets that hang in the air a moment, giving the word significance. "This deep dark world was new to his new people, but from the moment they were formed they knew there was a surface. There was something above them, something they could not reach. And so they grew, and learned, and became strong. And every day they moved a little higher up in the world, their sense of depth driving them to know what lay above. To know what this surface was. And when they arrived, they found nothing but water and stone. No sun, or grass, or wind to be had. And a lesser creature might have been crushed, to see such a bleak world. But dwarves are strong, and dwarves are steadfast. They did not fall to sadness; they asked themselves, 'how do we change this?'"

His tone has become more excited, the pace building. "They beseeched their own lord, and asked him to show them a display of might. They said that if he was mighty, deserving of worship, that he could raise stone up from the flatness of the world. And he was riled by their challenge, and showed them his might; and so the first hills and mountains were made. Then the dwarves called out to the goddess of waters and the storm, and they told her that she was meager and weak compared to their lord. This drove her into a frenzy of rage, and her rage whipped the waters of the world into motion. Storms spread across the earth, funneled by the new hills and mountains into the first rivers and streams."

"But the dwarves knew that life needed warmth. They went to the fire god next, but they did not seek to anger him. Instead they appealed to his vanity; they told him that the world was filled with water and stone, but there was no fire by which to admire him. And so he placed a great fire in the sky, so that all could admire his splendor; the fire circled the world, and left behind it a thousand cinders that twinkled even in the night. The warmth and light of the fire was sweet and good, even to eyes accustomed to the dark. And so the dwarves carried on, convincing each god in turn that they needed to prove their might, or show off their splendor, or simply show their siblings that they were still active and attentive to the world."

"And so came to pass the creation of nature, piece by piece. Plants and animals, clouds and winds, even the other sentient races of the world. Everything was a part of nature, the dwarves most of all, for they had brought all this to pass. And once they had they retired to the darker places of the world, content to look out at all they had wrought as the younger races enjoyed the greenery and the light. And time passed, time beyond knowing, and all but the barest bits of the knowledge of how the world was formed passed from knowing."

He sighs, and takes another drink of water. "And such is the tale of nature; or at least, its beginning. What say you, my friend?"

I hope you don't mind me making up a little dwarven mythology. Heck, Doldor might be making it up; but as far as he's concerned, it reflects the truth.

Malimar
2015-04-22, 05:11 PM
DM

The door looks almost blissful as it listens to Doldor's tale (the door even has carved ears to hear with and everything). When the tale is finished, the door says, "Bravo! I have never heard a more excellent rendition of the creation story. Such detail, such vividness! If I had but hands to applaud with. Alas, the best I can do is allow you passage." And so the door creakily opens up, revealing...

...another 10'x10' section of hallway, with another pair of double doors, this time on the right-hand wall. These doors are carved with another bearded face, this one with the carved impression of spectacles around its eyes. This door, when you approach, asks sternly, "Have you been found worthy of the blessing of Georpe the Magic User?"

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....# #.╪‎
‎ #.....# #.#‎
‎¶╪╪¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎¶CDb..|.....# #.#‎
‎¶LH|..|.....# #╪#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus

Rizban
2015-04-22, 10:10 PM
Shian

Twittering, the sparrow reaches out to the door via his telepathy, hoping it has enough of a mind to contact.

"Indeed we do."

RaggedAngel
2015-04-22, 11:01 PM
Doldor

Doldor nods in confirmation, then gestures to his hound. "Even Brutus."

Artorias
2015-04-23, 01:39 AM
Leontius/Erebus

"Why do you ask this, door? Is it something that we need to proceed? Something we will need to survive beyond this point?" He rubs his mask's chin with his fingers as he ponders.

Malimar
2015-04-23, 03:18 PM
DM

The door inspects the party, then explains creakily, "The Bard-Queen requires those who would seek her power to first gain the approval of those who were her compatriots in life. So please indulge me, and tell me about Georpe's tomb and his blessing."

RaggedAngel
2015-04-23, 08:55 PM
Doldor

The dwarf nods respectfully. "It is wise to be suspicious; many of those who come to places like this do not have a sense of tradition or respect. As for Georpe's tomb, it was filled with a series of trials and puzzles designed to test our wits and cunning. The first was a test of mathematical know-how, with cups of water. The second was a room of golems, which tested our logic and reasoning. Then a final test, to see if our party was balanced in the ways of the mind and body. Our blessing was skill and power; access to new magics, new knowledge, new skill."

Malimar
2015-04-24, 03:03 PM
DM

This door, too, smiles slightly, says, "Yes, indeed," and, without further delay, opens up.

The pattern, by this point, is clear: there's another section of hallway, blocked off by another double door (this one to the left), which has another face carved into it.

This next door, however, does not address you when you approach. It remains asleep. The other different thing about this door is that this door has a metal knocker where the others did not.

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪CD¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎╪LH¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎¶|b¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
‎¶..|..|.....# #╪#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus

Rizban
2015-04-24, 06:38 PM
Shian

Suspicious, Shian checks for traps. [20+15](35)

RaggedAngel
2015-04-24, 06:41 PM
Doldor

The druid takes two steps towards the knocker before he stops and looks to Shain. "We've passed the woodsman's door and the mage's door. We just have the fighting man's and..." He gestures towards the door. "And the holy man and thief's. I'd check that for traps."

Malimar
2015-04-24, 08:07 PM
DM

The door wrinkles its nose sleepily once or twice as the little bird conducts his investigations, but Shian finds no traps!

RaggedAngel
2015-04-24, 08:34 PM
Doldor

Doldor shrugs, grabs the knocker, and knocks.

Pretty sure I've got the highest Fort and Will, just in case.

Malimar
2015-04-24, 09:33 PM
DM

When Doldor knocks, the face on the door opens its eyes and asks, "Who's there?"

RaggedAngel
2015-04-24, 09:46 PM
Doldor

Doldor pauses for only a moment before he responds. "Doldor Wildheart. Brutus the Hound. Shian Sharptongue. Leontius Nameless. Scarecrow Dragonforged."

Sliver
2015-04-24, 11:49 PM
Scarecrow

"Oh, is that all?" Scarecrow asks, offended.

RaggedAngel
2015-04-25, 12:49 AM
I was posting while impaired, Doldor would not have forgotten Scarecrow.

Malimar
2015-04-25, 08:16 AM
DM

The door emits a disgruntled "HARRUMPH" and closes its eyes, going back to sleep.

Sliver
2015-04-25, 08:48 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow moves forward and grabs the knocker, knocking twice. "I am Scarecrow, forged of Adamantine, tempered with dragonfire, called by Numiel himself to serve! You would deny us passage, on what grounds?" He demands.

"Lazy door... If he were Timothy..." Scarecrow adds in a grumble.

Artorias
2015-04-25, 12:18 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius crosses his arms, waiting for the door to open, a fiery rage slowly lighting up inside him.

Malimar
2015-04-28, 04:47 PM
DM

The door only frowns at Scarecrow's answer, mumbling only, "There's no need for anger." It seems like the door is inclined to go back to sleep again, but after a time, it instead offers, "I'll ask again: Who's there?"

Rizban
2015-04-28, 05:10 PM
Shian

"Knock knock."

Malimar
2015-04-28, 05:24 PM
DM

If the door is a recipient of Rizban's telepathic message, it responds, "Who's there?"

If not, disregard this.

Rizban
2015-04-28, 05:26 PM
Shian

To the party only: "Oh! Try a joke. I don't get humanoid humor, so one of you should try... I'll give it my best though."

To the door. "Who."

Malimar
2015-04-28, 05:32 PM
DM

The door replies, "Who who?"

Rizban
2015-04-28, 05:33 PM
Shian

Shian tries to pantomime a look of fear and flies to hide behind Brutus.

"Owls!"

Bird humor is not very advanced...

Malimar
2015-04-28, 05:42 PM
DM

The door chortles, "Owls! Ha!" Then the door opens up, continuing to chuckle to itself at Shian's joke.

The face on the next pair of doors attentively wakes up when you approach, and asks through its wooden beard, "Greetings! Have you been found worthy by Fesus the Priest and Jumas the Thief?"

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #######╪#####.# #.#######.# #.#
‎ #..uu###|###### #.╪.....*.# #.#
‎ #######.....# #.##0#0##.# #.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪CDb..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎╪HL|..¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #╪#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus

Artorias
2015-04-28, 07:51 PM
Leontius/Erebus

The man known as Leontious to those nearby walks to the door with his dwarven war-hammer at hand and says "I suggest you open up before I break you into tiny pieces and use you as fuel for the bonfire tonight!" in Dragonic, his voice filled with fire and fury.

[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2015-04-29, 12:31 AM
Doldor

As confused and baffled by the "owls" joke as he is, it only takes Doldor a moment to put himself and Brutus between Leontius and the door. He faces the human squarely, anger growing in his eyes. "Be quiet, now. Back down. NOW."

He speaks like he would to an angry beast; as far as he's concerned, that's what's needed. He then half-turns, addressing the door politely and apologetically. "Door of Fesus the Priest and Jumas the Thief, I apologize for my companion's outburst. He is not always of sound mind. We have indeed been given the blessing of the Priest and the Thief, and we were given the reward of those who do not betray their allies. We selected to leave each other unharmed, at the cost of a greater reward for ourselves. Our differences give us strength, even if those differences may be trying at times."

Artorias
2015-04-29, 01:33 AM
Leontius/Erebus

He takes a moment to comprehend that this mad dwarf is talking to him as if he was a beast and says "Do not talk you me as if I am your dog you mad Dwarf! " He strikes the wall with his weapon, trying to scare Doldor. "Talk to me like that again and I will kill you." His words turn from flame to ice as he speaks the last words and then he takes a few steps back.

I should make a bluff check here because he can't actually harm him unless one of two conditions are met. (Should I reveal them? I will find an Inn character reason to not fight against the party even if one of those two conditions are met but just asking if you want to know.) [roll0]

RaggedAngel
2015-04-29, 01:47 AM
Doldor

The last fragments of good humor vanish from Doldor's face, and Brutus begins to growl. The sound is deep, loud, and it reminds everyone in the room exactly how large and strong the hound is. Doldor locks eyes with Leontius, not flinching away in the slightest. "If you raise your weapon against me, I will bury you here. That's a simple fact. Step out of this room, boy. You've crossed a line."

Sense Motive: [roll0] - Autosuccess, despite the 1. Very amusing, though.

And let me add that Doldor's animosity is not shared by me; I'm enjoying this immensely. :smallsmile:

Rizban
2015-04-29, 01:50 AM
Shian

Happy that the door gets avian humor, Shian is feeling pretty good about things... right up until Leontius flips out.

"They're just doors. It's not like this is any more arbitrary than any of the other tasks we've had to face. Seriously, who puts wind tunnels so you can't fly? It makes no logical sense.

Besides, are deliberately you trying to ruin things? On the one door dedicated to cooperation and party unity, you threaten to kill an ally. I can't tell if it's just really poor timing of if you're here to thwart us to surreptitiously claim all the rewards for yourself."

Artorias
2015-04-29, 09:40 AM
Leontius/Erebus

He silently walks outside after a few seconds of looking at Doldor with his murderous eyes and after some time he relaxes. He rubs his eyes as he slowly lets himself fall to the ground, his back on the wall, knowing that he did something very wrong and he has to apologize for it later and give his group some much needed explanations.

RaggedAngel
2015-04-29, 10:29 AM
Doldor

The druid huffs out a breath, both thoroughly confused and relieved. He looks back to the door, still apologetic. "That was... unexpected. I apologize profusely. I hope you will not mark that against us; it has been a very difficult task to reach this place, and my ally there has nearly died a few times. He is simply emotional right now. Or possibly unhinged."

Malimar
2015-04-30, 11:20 AM
DM
The door watches this exchange with a touch of befuddlement. Once everything is settled, it says, "I see..." Then, if it had shoulders, it would shrug, but it doesn't, so it just says, "Well, every group has its quarrels, and your story checks out, anyway." And so this door, too, opens up!

...revealing: another pair of doors with another face! This one has a leaf pattern carved into the non-face space of the door, and when you approach, it does indeed ask, "Have you been found worthy of the beneficence of Kheseus the Ranger?"

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.*...#####.#######╪# #.#‎
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪DC|..|..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎╪Hb|..|..¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶L....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #╪#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

C = Scarecrow
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
H = Shian
b = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-04-30, 12:40 PM
Doldor

The druid huffs in disappointment. "I was hoping the door that asked me about nature was the Ranger's. Nay, my friend, we have not been able to locate his tomb. Much has changed here since you were built. Is there a different way we could prove our worth? I have been gifted with the magic of nature, which surely must count for something."

Rizban
2015-04-30, 04:43 PM
Shian

"Or point us in the right direction that we may obtain his blessing as we have obtained that of the others."

Malimar
2015-05-01, 05:14 PM
DM

The door replies, "Oh, yes, unfortunately, the mistress requires everyone to have been found worthy by her comrades. I'll have to send you back until you can say Kheseus approves. I can tell you roughly where his tomb is, though, as the little bird says: it's only a bit to the south."

RaggedAngel
2015-05-01, 06:21 PM
Doldor

Doldor turns to the group. "Well, that's that. To the south."

Rizban
2015-05-01, 08:24 PM
Shian

Taking point, the bird starts to fly back the way they came.

"Scarecrow, where does that map of yours show as a good place to start looking? Let's head there and poke around."

Artorias
2015-05-01, 09:15 PM
Leontius/Erebus

He returns to the group and before anyone says anything he says "I do not ask you to forgive me. What I did was wrong. I just ask to get a chance to explain myself and then I will leave if you so desire. I will not raise my weapon against you again. Of that you have my word." With his usual monotone voice that makes it hard to decipher if he is being sincere or not.

RaggedAngel
2015-05-02, 01:42 PM
Doldor

Doldor sighs, then he gestures towards the human warrior. "Alright lad, you can say your piece. I know you've got a rough past, but you haven't been the most forthcoming about it. It's hard to sympathize when we've been kept in the dark, you know? And then you have an outburst like that, at a delicate time... What's goin' on?"

Artorias
2015-05-02, 03:02 PM
Leontius/Erebus

"The problem is that I do not know much about my past. I only remember the last few months. I simply found myself in a dungeon when I woke up without any memories. After that I kept hearing a voice whispering in my head and the more time passed the louder it got. Recently it....he became able to take control as long as I got...emotional. It's only the headlines but I do not want to waste our time so I think that this explanation will suffice for now." He lowers his head slightly to make himself look smaller as he asks "So, Can I remain in the group or should I depart?"

Sliver
2015-05-03, 11:16 PM
Scarecrow

Considering Leontius' words, Scarecrow decides to be honest with the man. "I would not turn my back to a fellow in need, and it seems that you aren't completely at fault for your recent outbursts. But what you do with it, and yourself, is your responsibility. I will not shun your presence as long as you see your condition the way I see it, a problem, and are willing to it, and will aid you in this quest as much as I can. But for me, this is non-negotiable. If you are happy with who, or what, you are right now, then we are at odds and I will not tolerate it." Scarecrow looks at his companions, weighting their reaction.

"Actually, after we are finished here, I was hoping we could take a detour and visit the temple of Numiel. I have some things I wish to discuss with the priests there, and perhaps they could help us understand your condition better, Leontius. It could be a mental ailment or an outright possession that haunts you, would be my guess, but I'm not trained in dealing with either."

After that is handled, Scarecrow turns to Shian. He avoids mentioning that the active map has both south-leading doors on it, though. "Next to the large chamber that leads to the two tombs there is a long south-bound hallway. One door, opening east, should connect to a long corridor which I detected to have necromantic magic last time. I would assume that is a hallway used as a burial chamber, perhaps with niches for sarcophagi. It might also be the cause of the undead constantly returning to fill the dungeon, but that is unlikely, as the entire place has an underlining aura of necromancy. Regardless, in the south-bound hallway is also a door that opens south and leads to other rooms. It could also be the way to the two large areas on the map, which could be devoted to a huntsman..."

Rizban
2015-05-03, 11:21 PM
Shian

The bird defers to whatever path the others choose, searching for traps as they go.

RaggedAngel
2015-05-04, 12:30 AM
Doldor

The dwarf takes his time thinking about Scarecrow's words. When he finally speaks up, his voice is measured and deliberate. "I agree that you cannot truly be blamed for your outbursts, Leontius. Sickness of the mind are as real as those of the body, and I would never blame a legless man for limping or taking his time up a ladder. For all that, I would also expect him to be open about his injury, and not try to conceal the fact if it could pose danger to those around him."

He holds his arms wide. "I have been as open as possible, even with the damned bird, because I believe it gives us the greatest chance of success. Our mission here is not of grave importance; the fate of the world is not at stake. No one will die if we turn around and go home. But for all that, this place is dangerous, and the traps and tombs are very delicate things. Imagine an outburst in the middle of a fight, if you stopped being able to tell us from your foes. Even if you didn't kill one of us, we'd likely have no choice but to respond with lethal force."

He gestures to Scarecrow. "For all that, this does seem to be a good option. I have no problem taking a detour to Numiel's temple; he and Nature have always been on good terms. And if the clerics there can give you council, all the better. I will also do my best to give you guidance. I do not claim to be trained in the ways of the mind, but I do know that you've had something very unnatural done to you. Perhaps it will take the pure, simple peace of nature to bring calm to your mind."

Rizban
2015-05-04, 12:33 AM
Shian

Shian chirrups disapprovingly.

"You humanoids take everything so seriously. So he puffed up his feathers and squawked to intimidate a perceived threat. What's the big deal?"

Artorias
2015-05-04, 02:14 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius takes a few moments to think of a response and then his tone changes as he says "I have not spent long with other people so it did not occur to me to explain my condition and I apologize for that as well. I am beginning to understand him, it or whatever it is. I doubt that it will have an outburst in the middle of a fight. It is more likely to slice your throat while you sleep....Forgive me. That was a poor joke. Back to the point, I can control it a bit so I do not believe that I will attack you again as long as I am not threatened by you." His voice sounds completely normal. Not monotone yet not filled with emotion either. Just the voice you would expect from a man like him.

He then turns to Scarecrow and says "I do wish to understand what it is and maybe cure myself if that is possible so Scarecrow, if you think that the priests of Numiel could help then I wish to go there as well so I will come along with you if you will have me as your companion."

As soon as he finishes talking to the two he motions with one hand towards the way we are supposed to go and says "But let us not stand idly by as precious time is wasted. The sooner we finish with this place the sooner we can pursue our individual goals."

Sliver
2015-05-04, 07:59 AM
Scarecrow

"I don't sleep." Scarecrow reacts simply to Leontius' joke. To the rest of it, he nods. With that settled, he heads to the long corridor that leads south, to the door Brutus smelled something behind last time. After Shian checks for traps and he scans once more for magic, Scarecrow will open the door, ready to breath fire.

[roll0] Fire, DC 17 for half.

Malimar
2015-05-04, 08:54 AM
DM

The party, with Shian checking for traps on the way, heads east, to the southernmost available door! Shian checks the door for traps and finds none, but he does discover, to his surprise, that the door is locked!

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #b╪‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #D#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #L#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #&#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #╪#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....#
#.....#
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down

& = Scarecrow and Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

Rizban
2015-05-04, 12:00 PM
Shian

The little bird fetches his tiny lockpicks from Scarecrow(?) and attempts to open the door.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Malimar
2015-05-04, 01:49 PM
DM

Eventually, though it takes a few minutes, Shian gets the door unlocked. That speed bump overcome, Scarecrow opens the door! It is warped and deformed, so it takes some effort, and it won't open all the way, but it opens enough. (One might ask why the door's lock still functioned after all this time and rust, to which I say: masterwork dwarven craftsmanship.)

Beyond: another length of corridor! Nobody, not even the dead, appears to have come this way in centuries. A handful of skeletons, the remnants of some ancient battle, lie strewn across the hallway here. There are three doors: one to the north, one to the west, one to the south.

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #b╪‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #D#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #L#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #&#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# ###╪#########|#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....# ╪........@@@@.#
#.....# #######╪#######
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down
@ = skeletons lying in the hallway

& = Scarecrow and Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

Artorias
2015-05-04, 02:37 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius moves in range of the first Skeleton and attempts to smash it, just in case.

Attack
Damage: [roll1] (punishing stance)

AoO (same as above):
Attack roll: [roll2]

RaggedAngel
2015-05-04, 04:36 PM
Doldor

Given the confined hallway, Doldor and Brutus simply watch for anything coming up from behind. Doldor readies himself to defend from anything thrown; he strongly suspects the skeletons may simply be playing dead. No pun intended.

Total Defense for now, we can't get close enough.

Rizban
2015-05-04, 04:42 PM
Shian

With the appearance that nothing has stirred for centuries, Shian will get brave and ignore the skeletons for now. Flying into the hallway, Shian will work his way down searching it thoroughly. Of course, should the bones move, he'll flee their reach as quick as possible.

taking 20 on search, 2 Ess in Truthseeker. 32 Total Search.

Malimar
2015-05-04, 06:11 PM
DM

Leontius smashes up one of the ancient skeletons! He smashes it up good! The skeletons (much like the hydrogen to whom the bartender said "We don't serve noble gasses here!") don't react.

Meanwhile, Shian scoots down the corridor, pecking at the walls, checking for tripwires, examining anything suspicious, and so on. And this time he actually finds something! Just before the second door, he finds a slot recessed into the ceiling and, a few inches from the floor, an ancient line of thin wire across the hallway (dangling with long-dead seaweed)! He's pretty sure it's a portcullis trap. He doesn't set it off.

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #b#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #D#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #C#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....# ╪...^H...@@@@L#
#.....# #######╪#######
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down
@ = skeletons lying in the hallway

& = Scarecrow and Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus
^ = trap

Artorias
2015-05-04, 06:25 PM
Leontius/Erebus

He continues smashing the skeletons with his weapon as he walks towards Shian. He picks up their skulls and takes them with him.

In case they wake up.

RaggedAngel
2015-05-04, 06:33 PM
Doldor

The druid watches Leontius, frowning. "I'd complain about you desecrating bodies, but even if they aren't undead now this place would probably make them that way eventually. Go ahead, pulverize them."

Sliver
2015-05-04, 09:37 PM
Scarecrow

"Can you disable it safely, or is it job for mister pole?" Scarecrow asks as he begins scanning the hallway and southern door (and beyond!) for magic.

Rizban
2015-05-05, 04:24 AM
Shian

"I'm fairly sure just breaking the wire will trigger a portcullis, blocking us from forward progress. The same result is likely were I to just dissolve it with acid. Give me a moment to more closely examine the mechanism, and I may be able to disable it for us to safely bypass."

If taking 10 is successful, take 10 and use inspiration point for a total of 20 (10+9+1).
Otherwise [roll0]+1 inspiration point.

Malimar
2015-05-05, 11:27 AM
DM

Leontius pulverizes the bones until they're very unlikely to be able to hold their form when animated!

Scarecrow detects magic! There's the complex's very faint ambient necromancy aura, there's some more hardened wall, but nothing else stands out.

OH YEAH, I forgot: The southern door has a plaque, just like the ones on all the other tombs, in Dwarven: "The Tomb of Kheseus: So That Others May Find The Way".

Shian examines the exposed part of the mechanism. It seems simple enough to sabotage (especially as he can fit his whole self into the mechanism if necessary). He makes short work of the already sea-damaged mechanism, pouring pebbles into gears and disconnecting the trip wire. The portcullis won't fall on their heads or block their progress.

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....# ╪...^HCDb*L**.#
#.....# ######¶╪¶######
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
$ = closed secret door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
> = stairs down
^ = disabled trap

& = Scarecrow and Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

Sliver
2015-05-05, 11:29 AM
Scarecrow

With that dealt with, Scarecrow motions at the southern door. "Let's check the other doors on our way to the bard-queen tomb, and deal with the hunter tomb now." Scarecrow offers and once the others seem ready, he opens the door, ready for action if something offensive is on the other side.

[roll0] fire, DC 17.

Artorias
2015-05-05, 12:32 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius moves at the door Scarecrow is opening and prepares to attack anything inside that he can reach

Prepared Action

If the enemy is hard to trip (He has more than 2 legs or is Large) or can't be tripped he uses the
"Mountain Hammer" maneuver.

Attack

AoO
If the enemy can be tripped and he provokes an AoO he tries to trip him. (Priority in AoO so if
there is more than one enemies in the room he tries to trip anyone coming towards him)

AoO:

If the enemy is tripped and tries to stand up he simply strikes him.

AoO:

Malimar
2015-05-05, 04:56 PM
DM

Before I forget: experience for dealing with the trap! Everyone gains 75XP!

The door to Kheseus's tomb opens easily. There is no monster beyond! Only a long corridor, which bends off to the left after some 50 feet or so.

Immediately to the left is a smooth gray orb (almost described it as "featureless", but color and smoothness are perhaps features), about a foot in diameter, sitting on a stone pedestal, at convenient height for a dwarf to reach out and touch it.

(When Scarecrow inevitably scans the orb with detect magic, he discovers it is magical with conjuration magic. If he touches it to identify it, it does nothing, but he identifies it as a component in a larger system, probably as some sort of destination for teleportation magics.)

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....# ╪...^HDCb*L**.#
#.....# ######¶|¶######
####### ¶.¶¶¶
¶..o¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶...
¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
^ = disabled trap
o = orb on a pedestal

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

Rizban
2015-05-05, 08:00 PM
Shian

The bird takes point, scanning for obvious traps as they go.

Take 10, [25]

RaggedAngel
2015-05-06, 12:11 AM
Doldor

Doldor takes the rear, and though he'd like to take a closer look at the orb he trusts Scarecrow's analysis. He avoids touching it, just in case.

Artorias
2015-05-06, 12:25 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius follows after Scarecrow.

Sliver
2015-05-06, 02:02 AM
Scarecrow

"This orb is likely to be one of the exit points of that teleportation arch we have seen before..." Scarecrow observes as he examines the ball. "Without the required key though, it is impossible to predict which exit you will come out of. Maybe deeper in the tomb there is something that will connect the archway to this point..."

Scarecrow examines the map fragment for a moment. "It seems like this challenge is a maze, but I can't quite tell the path from this fragment. Not only is it only a partial representation, it does look like all these passages lead to some dead end..." Scarecrow says before glancing at the orb again. "Or maybe they end up with some sort of teleportation device that connects to other hallways, and this orb isn't actually connected to the arch, or perhaps the destination of both the arch and some other point further in the maze. Maybe its center?"

Scarecrow concentrates on the orb, trying to understand it and wondering if it would be possible to reverse the polarity of the magic nodes so that the orb transports him to the origin point, instead of the usual function.

[roll0] Take 20 if possible
[roll1] Same

Unless that works, Scarecrow walks behind Shian, as he himself continues to scan for magic.

Malimar
2015-05-06, 10:13 AM
DM

Scarecrow, after a bit of time analyzing the orb, is indeed pretty sure that there's probably more orbs like this one, connected in some sort of teleportation network within the tomb. If you touch the wrong one, perhaps you are sent back to the beginning here. Or if you touch the right one once you come to the end of the maze. As for whether it would be possible to reverse the polarity of the device: probably, but it would take magic almost as powerful as the magic that built this tomb in the first place, magic which is probably beyond the party's capabilities at this time. The most straightforward way I can think of would be to use the orb as the focus for a teleport spell of your own, which is clever and would probably allow teleportation without mishap to the end of the labyrinth, but would require a teleport spell of your own.

The party explores the twisting passageways! Shian finds no traps, but they do indeed find another several orbs, similar in every respect to the first one.

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶1...H..¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶C¶.¶
¶.¶.¶....bLD¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶3....¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶.¶4¶.¶6¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.....¶.¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶....5¶.¶2¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...........¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0-6 = orb on a pedestal (numbered so there's no confusion about which is which)

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-05-06, 10:16 AM
Doldor

Doldor frowns, looking at Scarecrow's map of the maze. "Well, looks like we're going to have to try using these orbs. This maze is nothing but dead ends. But who should touch it first?"

Does Shian's telepathy work through these walls?

Malimar
2015-05-06, 10:18 AM
DM
Does Shian's telepathy work through these walls?It does! The walls block neither telepathy nor teleportation.

Sliver
2015-05-06, 10:41 AM
Scarecrow

"I'll do it. I think I have the best chance to withstand most foes until you join me, if needed. Shian, keep a link with me just in case..." With that, Scarecrow will try touching orb #5.

Malimar
2015-05-08, 04:14 PM
DM

Scarecrow reaches out and touches orb #5! There's a flash of light, and Scarecrow is gone! Shian's mental link to him is still there also gone!

Scarecrow, who experiences the spell firsthand, easily identifies the effect. Shian, who watches it and then finds his telepathic contact with Scarecrow cut off, also identifies the effect. Doldor doesn't recognize it. Scarecrow and Shian identify what just happened as something very like (and yet not quite exactly) plane shift.

Scarecrow backs up this intuition by observing that his new surroundings are noticeably different in quality than his previous surroundings. The earth seems to constrict more oppressively around him than before, there are more sparkly veins and clusters of gems visible in the walls, the air is a bit harder to breathe (not that Scarecrow notices that, but the rest of the party will). All in all, this new section of the maze seems somehow earthier than the other. He's no expert on the planes, but it's safe to say he's been transported to the Lawful Plane of Earth.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶1......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.......¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶3....¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶.¶4¶.¶6¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.....¶.¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶LDH.5¶.¶2¶...¶
¶b¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...........¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶C¶.¶
¶.¶8¶5¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶6¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶7¶.....¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0-8 = orb on a pedestal

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

Sliver
2015-05-09, 01:49 AM
Scarecrow

Deciding to mark his exit point, which he probably should have done with the entry as well, Scarecrow takes a piece of red chalk and marks a red five on the floor by the orb. Then he walks around, mapping the new section. It looked like the maze has four main sections, perhaps all on the material plane, with several planes connecting them, or used as a trap. A single test wasn't enough to determine. He didn't recognize this section from the mapScarecrow returns to orb #5 and touches it again.

He will test the orb once more and return to the others, marking this as the plane of Earth and then testing orb #3.

Scarecrow will mark #7 with a blue seven and touch the orb.

If #5 transports him somewhere else, we'll see...

Malimar
2015-05-09, 10:49 AM
DM

Touching orb #5 on this end does indeed, with another flash of light, transport Scarecrow back to the group and the corresponding orb on the Material Plane.

Then he goes to test orb #3! This one, instead of Plane Shifting him... does nothing!

Doldor, on closer inspection, notices that this orb is a slightly darker shade of gray than #5 and #0.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶1......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.......¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶3CH..¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶D¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶L¶4¶.¶6¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶b¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.....¶.¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶....5¶.¶2¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...........¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶C¶.¶
¶.¶8¶5¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶6¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶7¶.....¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0-8 = orb on a pedestal

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

Sliver
2015-05-10, 04:18 AM
Scarecrow

(Scarecrow was scanning for magic while walking. Are the magical auras of the orbs identical?)

After trying to figure out whether there is a difference in the magic of the orbs, Scarecrow test the rest in that order: 4, 6, 2, 1.

Malimar
2015-05-13, 10:51 AM
DM

Scarecrow, when he examines them closely, finds that the auras of some of these orbs are indeed subtly different than the auras of the other orbs! #5, the one that plane shifted him, is just conjuration, as are #s 1, 6, and 7. The others (#s 2, 3, 4, 8, and 9) are a mixture of several different kinds of auras, including maybe evocation and conjuration, it's hard to pick them out individually -- one can see that all these mixed-aura ones, once Doldor points out that there is a difference in shade, are also slightly darker in color than the others.

Given this information, does Scarecrow still touch the orbs in the indicated order?

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶1......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.......¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶3.H..¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶D¶C¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶L¶4¶.¶6¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶b¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.....¶.¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶....5¶.¶2¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...........¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶8¶5¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶9¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶7¶.....¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0-8 = orb on a pedestal

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

Sliver
2015-05-16, 11:44 AM
Scarecrow

Considering this new information, Scarecrow decides to try #1 first.

Malimar
2015-05-16, 12:48 PM
DM

Scarecrow goes up to orb #1 and touches it! He is again transported to the Plane of Earth, to a new and different area of the maze this time! Exploring this one, he finds no plane shift orbs, but two of the slightly darker orbs that do something other than plane shift.

I was a bit short-sighted in labeling the orbs. Relabeling them now that you've figured out the difference, with the plane shift orbs lettered and the non-plane-shift orbs just x's. (The letters will be out of order for you because, to minimize my own confusion, I'll be using the letters I've got on my own map.)

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶a.HDLB.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.......¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶x....¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶.¶x¶.¶b¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.....¶.¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶....i¶.¶x¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...........¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶.Ca¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶x¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶..x¶...¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶x¶i¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-m = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus

Sliver
2015-05-16, 01:40 PM
Scarecrow

Marking that this part seems like a dead end, Scarecrow returns through the orb and tests the final orb, b.

Malimar
2015-05-16, 04:38 PM
DM

Scarecrow returns to the party, then navigates to orb b and touches it! It transports him to the Plane of Earth, where he explores a bit, and finds two more dark orbs and a light one!

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶a......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.......¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶x....¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶.¶x¶.¶b¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.....¶H¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶D¶
¶....i¶.¶x¶.BL¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...........¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶.Ca¶x¶.........¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶x¶...¶.¶.¶...¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶.....¶.¶...¶...¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶..x¶...¶..x¶bC.¶c..¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶x¶i¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-m = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus

Sliver
2015-05-16, 11:08 PM
Scarecrow

Returning to the others, Scarecrow tells them that he will now be testing the orbs that teleport away from the earth plane. Then Scarecrow tests C, exploring the new area, then, unless the new area of C prevents his return, M.

Just doing it that way to get things done a bit faster, for the others' sake.

Also, in case it is relevant, Scarecrow has Endure Elements always on.

RaggedAngel
2015-05-17, 09:50 AM
Doldor

After a while watching Scarecrow teleport in and out, Doldor clears his throat. "I feel a bit unhelpful. I know this is the best way to do it, but..." He looks over to Brutus. Brutus huffs, then settles down for a light nap.

Malimar
2015-05-18, 11:25 AM
DM

(The main difference between what these orbs are casting and actual plane shift is that these orbs don't have the "puts you in a random place within hundreds of miles" thing, they send you exactly to the linked orb.)

Scarecrow tests orb #c! He finds himself back on the Material Plane, in a previously-unseen section of the dungeon. He's back in mental contact with Shian. So he explores! Still no obvious monsters. Three darker grey orbs, five lighter grey ones (including c, the one he just came in on).

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶a......¶.......¶.....¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.......¶.¶...¶x..¶..e¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶x....¶...¶...¶.....¶x¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶...¶.¶x¶.¶b¶.¶c¶..d¶.¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶C¶¶¶¶¶...¶¶¶
¶.....¶.....¶H¶.¶.......¶.¶g¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶D¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶....i¶.¶x¶.BL¶........f¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶...........¶ ¶x¶.........¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶.Ca¶x¶.........¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶x¶...¶.¶.¶...¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶.....¶.¶...¶...¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶..x¶...¶..x¶b..¶c..¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶x¶i¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-m = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus

Sliver
2015-05-21, 12:19 AM
Scarecrow

"I found the next part of the dungeon, perhaps you should join me there?" Scarecrow asks through Shian's link, and will give them instructions to orb #c before they touch #b.

For himself, he will test each orb, explore the new area and return to test the next one, in this order: D-E-F-G

RaggedAngel
2015-05-21, 10:56 AM
Doldor

Doldor tells Shian to tell Scarecrow that he is coming to join him. He takes hold of Brutus's collar, then touches the appropriate sphere.

If contact isn't enough to go together, maybe Share Spells will be?

Malimar
2015-05-21, 11:52 AM
DM

The party, unless there are objections, joins Scarecrow in the second Material Plane section! (Physical contact works to bring Brutus along when Doldor touches the orbs.)

Scarecrow tries orb #d and #e! He finds that they both lead to the same section as orb #e, an area with those two orbs and a single non-plane-shift orb.

Similarly, #f and #g lead to one area... but there's something dwelling in this area! As he explores this area, Scarecrow hears a mad whining babble, as of a madman jibbering hypnotically to himself. (He resists the hypnotic effects of the babble.) As he rounds a corner, he sees the source of the babbling: a shadowy insubstantial wraith-monster, much like the shadow the party fought earlier, but crazed with madness: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG10.jpgThe creature has not yet noticed Scarecrow.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶...¶¶¶
¶.....¶.....¶.¶.¶LBDH...¶.¶g¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶....i¶.¶x¶...¶........f¶...¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶...¶.Ca¶x¶.........¶.......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶x¶...¶.¶.¶...¶...¶....e¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶...¶...¶...¶.....¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶..x¶...¶..x¶b..¶c..¶d¶x....¶
¶...¶...¶ ¶.C....g¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶x¶i¶.¶ ¶.¶f¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶ ¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶ ¶.¶...¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶ ¶Y..¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶ ¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶ ¶x¶...¶h¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-m = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus
Y = shadowy babbling wraith-monster

Sliver
2015-05-21, 01:37 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow quickly slides back to the orb, returning to the others. "There is a creature of shadow there, though it did not notice me yet. Might be deaf. We must pass through that part of the maze, so it must be dealt with. It's similar to, but not exactly like, that shadow we fought before. That means that only magic would have a chance to deal with it... Shian, I think, will have the best chance aiding me here, but I'm not so sure if it is wise for the three of you," Scarecrow says, including Brutus in his count, "to join. Unless you make your weapon magical... It also babbles incoherently, but I felt something trying to influence me... If you have a way to block sound, it is worth a try..." Scarecrow offers.

There is a problem though... Rizban is currently away as he was recently married. Perhaps Ragged should control Shian for that battle?

RaggedAngel
2015-05-21, 01:39 PM
I can indeed control Shian. His sheet's a little... nonstandard, but I know Incarnum and Factotums well enough to run him. Spit and hide, spit and hide.

Artorias
2015-05-28, 02:54 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius moves to Scarecrow's location and casts Magic Weapon on his Dwarven warpike (1/day) when everyone is ready to attack it.

Forgive me for not writing but I missed the last post and I thought that we were still scouting.

Rizban
2015-06-02, 12:10 AM
Shian

The little bird bravely alights on the orb, whisking him away to the part of the dungeon where the shadow beasty waits. He focuses his energy into his acid and readies an attack should the creature come seeking him out while the rest of the party decides what to do.

3 Essentia in Dissolving Spittle.
Readied Attack, if needed:

Artorias
2015-06-02, 05:19 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius follows after the bird and attacks the shadowy monster with his temporarily enchanted weapon

Attack

AoO (same as above):

If he can't move in range he just waits nearby

RaggedAngel
2015-06-02, 08:08 PM
Doldor

Informed about the creature's ghostly nature, Doldor tells Brutus to guard and stay away. If the creature attacks the mind a hound is far more vulnerable than a sentient being, no matter how good of a hound he is.

He calls up a familiar glob of fire into his hand, then prepares himself to hurl it when everyone is ready. He keeps Brutus behind him, though he hopes the group will be able to put the creature down quickly.

Produce Flame, will last 4 minutes.

Touch Attack: [roll0]
Fire Damage: [roll1]

Sliver
2015-06-02, 11:40 PM
Scarecrow

Joining the group in preparation for battle, Scarecrow follows behind and is ready to blow fire once their opponent is within sight, hoping that none of his allies will fall under the effect of the creature's babbling madness.

30ft line: [roll0] Fire, DC 17 half.

Malimar
2015-06-03, 12:00 PM
DM

Shian is waiting for the monster, when he hears its entrancing mad babble, and is fascinated for 2 rounds. (Brutus, too, falls entranced by the by the monster's incoherent babbling, and is fascinated for 4 rounds. Everyone else makes their saves.)

The monster now notices the party's presence! It floats towards the party! (Everyone but Shian (who is fascinated) is flat-footed, so no attacks of opportunity.) However, this hostile approach grants Shian and Brutus new saves to recover from their fascination... and they both shake off the effect, and are no longer fascinated. (I think Shian was fascinated just long enough to lose his action for this round.)

Then the creature reaches out to try to touch Shian! But the little bird easily darts out of the way of the bad touch!

Doldor, having produced flame, chucks it at the monster! However, the creature ducks out of the way of the fire, and babbles incoherently.

Brutus growls at the unnatural abomination before them, but obeys his master's command and does not approach it.

Scarecrow breathes fire! It's fully effective! Well, the creature ducks out of the way of the main blast, making its reflex save, but it still takes damage! It babbles in something that might be pain, or might just be more madness!

Leontius attacks! But his warpike passes through the material of the monster as if it weren't there. (The 50% incorporeal miss chance for even magic weapons having taken effect.) The creature takes no notice and continues to gibber incoherently.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.....¶.....¶.¶.¶.......¶.¶g¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶...¶...¶ ¶YHLCDBg¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶x¶i¶.¶ ¶.¶f¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶ ¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶ ¶.¶...¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶ ¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶ ¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶ ¶x¶...¶h¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-m = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus
Y = shadowy babbling wraith-monster

Sliver
2015-06-03, 12:02 PM
Scarecrow

"Don't let up, finish this monstrosity!" Scarecrow encourages from the back as his fire washes harmlessly over the group and tries to singe the Allip that he knows little about.

[roll0] fire, ref DC 17.

RaggedAngel
2015-06-03, 02:53 PM
Doldor

"To the left for a second! Damn, but I hate undead." Doldor shouts as he lobs another glob of fire at the creature along the right side of the corridor. He knows he doesn't have a great chance of hitting it, but something is better than nothing. His shot goes wide, spattering against the wall of the dungeon.

2/4 fireballs remaining.

Touch Attack: [roll0] (doesn't include penalty for soft cover)
Fire Damage: [roll1]

Artorias
2015-06-03, 04:05 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius raises his Dwarven Warpike and attacks the shadow again.

Attack

AoO (same as above):

Rizban
2015-06-03, 04:42 PM
Shian

Flying in the creature's face, he darts past it trying to lure it down the hallway a bit away from the party before spitting acid at it.

Rizban
2015-06-03, 04:43 PM
Rolling for crit?
Nevermind. Forgot. Undead. bleh.

Malimar
2015-06-03, 07:15 PM
DM

Shian darts past the babbling monster (provoking an attack of opportunity -- the creature misses), then shoots acid! The acid melts through the monster's ectoplasm, and it babbles louder!

The monster bobs its head between Shian and the party, then, in a calculation whose purpose is completely inscrutable to all, goes after Shian, rather than after somebody it can actually touch.

Its movement provokes an attack of opportunity from Leontius, which hits! His temporarily-enchanted warpike passes into where the monster's head would be if it had a head, and it's briefly unclear whether this attack had any effect at all.

Then the monster dissolves in sheets of evaporating ectoplasm, its babbling turning to screams and then to silence. The monster is defeated! (It leaves no visible corpse behind.)

Leontius, Doldor, and Shian gain 200XP each. Scarecrow gains 188XP.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶...¶...¶ ¶..LCDBg¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶x¶i¶.¶ ¶.¶f¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶ ¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶ ¶.¶...¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶H......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶ ¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶ ¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶ ¶x¶...¶h¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-m = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-06-03, 09:51 PM
Doldor

The druid bounces his little fireball in his hand as he watches the monster dissipate. "Well, that was quick. Good. Much rather the fights be easy than hard, even if this was a bit of a waste of a spell. And you were a very good boy, Brutus. Now then, what's the plan?"

Sliver
2015-06-04, 12:51 AM
Scarecrow

"Same as before. Well, there is only one orb leading to an unexplored area, so you can join me." Scarecrow says as he examines the ex-babbling ectoplasm, wondering if there is anything of value he could extract from it, before he goes to touch orb h.

Malimar
2015-06-04, 08:24 AM
DM

Scarecrow is pretty sure (I'm not certain how he knows this, but he does) a quantity of this ectoplasm, if collected in a bottle quickly, before it evaporates, would probably fetch 10-20 gold when sold to an alchemist or potion-maker, for purposes (it can substitute for the material component for certain ghost-related spells, among other things).

Whether or not ectoplasm is collected, Scarecrow next goes on to touch orb h! A flash of light later, he finds another large, monster-free maze area back on the Material Plane. Three light orbs, five dark orbs, and a bunch of twists and turns.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..0¶
¶.........¶x¶
¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶p...x¶.¶x¶...¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶x......¶...¶h¶
¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶C¶
¶...¶.....¶x¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶.¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶..o¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶....j¶.......¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶...¶...¶ ¶......g¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶x¶i¶.¶ ¶.¶f¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶ ¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶ ¶.¶...¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶ ¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶ ¶...¶LBD¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶ ¶.¶.¶H¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶ ¶x¶...¶h¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-m = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-06-04, 09:25 AM
Doldor

It just so happens that Doldor drank a potion very early on in his adventures with this group; and being both an adventurer and a dwarf, he never throws out anything. He uses the old potion bottle to scoop up a healthy portion of the slime, stoppering it and stuffing it back in his pack.

Add that to the group list, then?

Sliver
2015-06-05, 07:16 AM
Scarecrow

Scanning the new part of the maze, Scarecrow decides to examine the orbs in the following order: J-O-P.

Malimar
2015-06-05, 02:53 PM
DM

Scarecrow touches orb j! It whisks him back to the Plane of Earth! Two dark orbs, two light orbs (j and k), no monsters.

Scarecrow touches orb j again, bringing him back to the Material Plane, then touches orb o! Back to the Plane of Earth! A small area: orb o, two dark orbs, and no monsters (you're getting lucky on the monster rolls).

Then orb o again, back to the Material Plane, to touch orb p! The Plane of Earth, a larger maze section now: five dark orbs, three light orbs (l, p, and q), and... a monster!

Several monsters! Hungry-looking skulking undead, which hiss and advance menacingly upon Scarecrow! They're like zombies, but less mindlessly shambly. I'm not sure whether Scarecrow has a sense of smell Scarecrow lacks a sense of smell (Thanks, RaggedAngel!), but when the rest of the party gets here, they will discover that one of the monsters is extra-stenchy, smelling strongly of rot and decay.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG119.jpg

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..z¶
¶.........¶x¶
¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶p...x¶.¶x¶...¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶x......¶...¶h¶
¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶...¶.....¶x¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶.¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶..o¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶....j¶.......¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶...¶..a¶x¶.........¶.......¶
¶...¶...¶x¶x..¶.....¶......g¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶x¶i¶.¶...¶...¶.¶x¶.¶f¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶u¶¶¶u¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶.¶.¶.¶q¶...¶.¶...¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶l¶...¶x¶U¶.......¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶.¶...¶pC..u¶...¶LBD¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶H¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶...¶..u..¶x¶x¶...¶h¶
¶....k¶.....¶.......¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶...¶...¶..x¶...¶
¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...¶.¶x¶.¶x¶.¶o..¶x¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.......¶..j¶.......¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-q = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus
U = extra-stenchy undead creature
u = undead creature

RaggedAngel
2015-06-06, 03:49 PM
Warforged explicitly do not have any sense of smell; there is a warforged component, the Tracker Mask, that grants them both Scent and a normal sense of smell.

/Eberronisloveandlife

Sliver
2015-06-07, 10:49 AM
Scarecrow

With the others still on the other plane of Earth, Scarecrow has a connection with Shian. He uses that to tell the group to join him, directing them to the orb he used before they pass through it. As for himself, he wastes no time, breathing fire.

[roll0] DC 17

Artorias
2015-06-07, 02:00 PM
Leontius/Erebus

As soon as Leontius hears the information he moves to join Scarecrow.

If Scarecrow mentioned that he was in battle he rushes there as fast as he can.
If Scarecrow did not mention his current status then he just moves along with the same pace as Shian, Doldor and Brutus.

Rizban
2015-06-10, 03:37 PM
Sorry, I could have sworn I posted...

Shian

Shian follows the others, horking acid almost reflexively at the monsters.

Malimar
2015-06-10, 08:24 PM
DM

(Going to play it fast and loose with distances, if that's all right with you. Otherwise it would take the party at least several rounds to straggle through the maze, and that's no fun.)

Shian, with his sparrowy zoomizoomness, catches up to Scarecrow, occupies his space, and horks acid at the nearest foe! He hits the monster, and it staggers, its face half-melted off.

The extra-stinky undead monster advances upon the party! The stench makes the little sparrow gag, and Shian is sickened (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#sickened) for 8 minutes! It opens its rancid mouth and tries to bite at Scarecrow, but fails to get a purchase on the warforged's thick plating!

Three other undead monsters shamble forth!

Leontius gets there after Shian, touches the orb, and is transported into the mêlée! The orbs must have be programmed to drop you off at the nearest spot big enough for you, because Leontius appears on the far side of some monsters.

The last undead monster has nowhere to go, and therefore delays!

Scarecrow breathes fire! Two creatures duck partially out of the way, two others (including the extra-stinky one) take the full brunt of the fire! Two of the monsters (including the one Shian pegged with acid) collapse in smoldering heaps. (The monster that delayed hesitates in the face of this onslaught.)

Doldor navigates the maze, and is close enough to arrive with enough time to make a standard action next round!

Brutus comes along with Doldor. He could be persuaded to touch the orbs on his own, but it's probably easier to do the whole thing where Doldor touches Brutus while touching the orb.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..z¶
¶.........¶x¶
¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶pDB.x¶.¶x¶...¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶x......¶...¶h¶
¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶...¶.....¶x¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶.¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶..o¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶....j¶.......¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶.¶.¶.¶.¶q¶.u.¶.¶...¶.¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶l¶...¶x¶.¶.......¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶.¶...¶pSU*u¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶*¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶...¶....L¶x¶x¶...¶h¶
¶....k¶.....¶.......¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶...¶...¶..x¶...¶
¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...¶.¶x¶.¶x¶.¶o..¶x¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.......¶..j¶.......¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-q = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

S = Scarecrow and Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
B = Brutus
U = extra-stenchy undead creature
u = undead creature

Sliver
2015-06-10, 10:54 PM
Scarecrow

(Scarecrow getting to solo the encounter is fun! But I agree...)

"Come at us!" Scarecrow roars, hoping to attract the final monster as he breathes fire once more.

[roll0]

Artorias
2015-06-11, 08:46 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius will try to attack the extra-stenchy undead creature with his Mountain Hammer maneuver, putting all of his weigh on the attack and then he stops using his stance.

"Mountain Hammer" maneuver.
Attack
Damage: [roll1] (Normal Attack + Punishing Stance + Mountain Hammer)

AoO
Trip attack roll: [roll2]
Strength check: [roll3]
Bonus attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

RaggedAngel
2015-06-12, 03:00 PM
Doldor

Doldor and Brutus are carried across planes once more; in the moment of travel, Doldor does his best to get a feel for the movement across the planar boundaries. One day, he'll be able to cross them on his own.

The dynamic duo leap into action as soon as they emerge, attacking the nearest undead with ferocity. Brutus doesn't know how tough it is, but he gives himself a surge of physical strength on sheer instinct. In his dog's mind, it's always better to hit with maximum aggression against an unknown threat.

They're going to both attack U as best they can; it's a bit of a tight squeeze, so I'm not sure how this will work out exactly. If Doldor can share a square with the orb, he'll do that and let Brutus take point. Brutus has an AC of 25 right now thanks to sharing Barkskin.

Question: Can I "Share Spell" Produce Flame with Brutus?

Brutus will use his daily strength boost from the Strength Domain as a free action, then attack the stinky undead.
Attack (Power attack for 1): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Doldor will throw another glob of fire, since his spell should still have another two minutes of duration.
Ranged Touch attack: [roll2] or, if he's close enough to make a Melee Touch attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] Fire

Rizban
2015-06-12, 04:32 PM
Shian

Flying around to the north to better flank the monsters, Shian notices the one hanging back from the rest. He flies up the hallway and past it, spitting acid at the creature as he does.

Move 50 ft to be just north of the delayed creature.
Dissolving Spittle – [roll0] – [roll1] (Already counted the -2 for sickened)

Malimar
2015-06-13, 12:12 PM
DM

The undead critter who delayed and hesitated reënters the initiative! It shambles forth, turning the corner to attack Leontius -- but it provokes an attack of opportunity from Leontius.

Leontius easily trips the creature, taking its leg off in the process. The monster expires, its animated principle exhausted.

Shian flies past the one that hasn't yet reached the party (provoking attacks of opportunity in the process -- the monsters' clumsy swings miss the little bird), then pegs the monster in the lower back with a blast of acid! It stumbles, but does not fall.

The extra-stenchy undead (Leontius did succeed at his fortitude save to resist the stench, I think I neglected to mention that) is just smart enough to realize he probably won't be able to damage Scarecrow, so it switches targets, shambling towards Leontius! It swings a fist and misses, it tries to clamp its jaw on Leontius's arm and misses, then it swings its other claw and strikes Leontius! A critical hit! Leontius takes 6 damage! His limbs feel briefly stiff, but he resists the paralysis.

The last undead critter, the one that hasn't reached the main fight yet, turns around and swings at Shian again! But it misses! Then it shambles away from Shian, towards the main fight.

Leontius moves 10', so as to be able to hit the stenchy creature (its attacks of opportunity already having been wasted on the little sparrow), and just barely fails to penetrate the monster's toughened hide.

Scarecrow engulfs the stenchy monster in fire. It takes the full brunt of the blast, and when the fire dissipates, there is nothing left of it but smoking ash.

Doldor appears in the fight! The remaining monster isn't the extra-stenchy one (the extraordinary stench is already subsiding, its source incinerated), but it's still an undead monster, and thus merits violence! Doldor reaches out and touches it with fire, and it, too, collapses in a smoldering heap!

Which means there's nothing left to kill when Brutus shows up!

Question: Can I "Share Spell" Produce Flame with Brutus?Huh. That's a good question. Any spell you cast on yourself... produce flame doesn't have a target, it has an effect... Hurm. I'm going to make a slightly weird call here, and say you can, but the two castings share one duration, i.e., you still get [your level] total thrown/touch fires, sharing the spell just lets you go through them 2/round instead of 1/round.

Leontius, Doldor, and Shian gain 500 XP. Scarecrow gains 488 XP.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..z¶
¶.........¶x¶
¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶p...x¶.¶x¶...¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶x......¶...¶h¶
¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶...¶.....¶x¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶.¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶.¶...¶..o¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶....j¶.......¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶H¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶.¶...¶pC*D.¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶B¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶...¶..L..¶x¶x¶...¶h¶
¶....k¶.....¶.......¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶...¶...¶..x¶...¶
¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...¶.¶x¶.¶x¶.¶o..¶x¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.......¶..j¶.......¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-q = plane shift orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor (on a dead creature)
B = Brutus (on a dead creature)

Sliver
2015-06-13, 12:46 PM
Scarecrow

"Don't you think it is odd?" Scarecrow asks as he examines the dead ghouls for valuables. "I get that the tomb is filled with necromantic auras and the udead rise there, but a different plane?" (Question: Does the Earth plane also have the necromantic aura that was in the dungeon?)

With that out, Scarecrow will test the orbs in the following order: L-Q-K.

Malimar
2015-06-13, 02:49 PM
DM

Scarecrow loots the bodies! The crispy undead that was extra-stenchy has a scorched bag of mixed platinum, gold, and silver coins totalling 274gp.

The Plane of Earth does not have the ambient necromantic aura that the catacomb complex on the Material Plane does -- this region of the Plane of Earth does have ambient auras of law and, uh, earthiness. Also gravity is very slightly stronger here.

Orb l brings Scarecrow to another new section of the maze! K leads to the same place. No monsters, two bad orbs, four good orbs.

Orb q, on the other hand! Now orb q takes Scarecrow someplace new and different! There's a flash of light, and he's in a 15'x15' room on the Material Plane, a pleasant room, tastefully decorated with well-preserved comfortable-looking chairs, with another orb in the corner. There is no ambient necromantic aura here, either. A warm glow suffuses this room. He feels safe and calm, as if there's a benevolent power watching over him.

Material Plane

¶|¶
¶.¶¶¶
¶..z¶
¶...........¶..r¶x¶.........¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.C.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
¶..........l¶...¶.........¶x¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶.....¶...¶...¶p...x¶.¶x¶...¶
¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶
¶m¶...¶x¶...¶.¶x......¶...¶h¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶
¶...¶.......¶k¶...¶.....¶x¶.¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶.¶...¶.¶x¶...¶.¶...¶...¶
¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶n¶...¶.¶...¶.¶.¶...¶..o¶...¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.............¶....j¶.......¶

Lawful Plane of Earth

¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶H¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶.¶.¶x¶.¶.¶...¶pC*D.¶...¶...¶
¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶B¶.¶.¶.¶.¶.¶
¶m¶.....¶...¶..L..¶x¶x¶...¶h¶
¶....k¶.....¶.......¶
¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶...¶...¶...¶..x¶...¶
¶¶¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶
¶...¶.¶x¶.¶x¶.¶o..¶x¶
¶.¶¶¶.¶.¶.¶¶¶.¶¶¶¶¶.¶
¶.......¶..j¶.......¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
╪ = closed door
| = open door
a-r = plane shift orb
r = mystery orb
x = non-plane shift orb

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor (on a dead creature)
B = Brutus (on a dead creature)

Artorias
2015-06-13, 03:05 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius follows Scarecrow, touching the orb 10 seconds after him after him in case he returns or contacts the group.

I finally Leveled up! I hope that the +1 will help my aim.

Rizban
2015-06-13, 05:26 PM
Shian

Seeing all the creatures dead, Shian moves to Doldor and lands on his shoulder silently following along with the party. He never liked mazes much, so he's just kind of along for the ride.

Shian is just a bit over 1,000xp from leveling up. Looking forward to that level...

Sliver
2015-06-13, 11:16 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow scans the room for magic as the party follows him. "It appears that this room is the center." He points out the obvious, asking Shian to search the room for anything hidden, especially if he detects something magical.

With that done, he moves to the orb. "Well, only one way to go from here." He touches it.

RaggedAngel
2015-06-13, 11:39 PM
Doldor

Doldor takes a long look around the Lawful Plane of Elemental Earth before following his allies to the center of the maze. He places his hand on the stone of the maze, trying to feel out his depth from the surface with his dwarven senses. In all likelihood, there is no surface, an idea that strikes him as incredible and fascinating. An infinite plane of rock and stone, of caverns and aquifers and pools of molten lava. Veins of gems larger than entire continents on the Prime Material, elementals and creatures both beautiful and strange...

He sighs, and takes ahold of Brutus' collar. "We're going to come back here, boy. The world needs more of this place, it needs more Earth. We weren't meant to live on ships and islands, wet and miserable all our lives. But enough of that; shouldn't keep them waiting."

Brutus listens attentively; he doesn't understand what his friend is saying, but he knows that it's important. Then the two of them make their way through the maze, to the end of the Ranger's challenge.

Ding! Doldor is now level 5.

He can Wildshape now, which is pretty great.

Let's steamroll on out of this dungeon.

Malimar
2015-06-14, 12:32 PM
DM

The party accumulates in the last room.

Scarecrow detects a powerful aura of transmutation magic in this room. It's not easy to identify (in part because it's hard to find exactly what you need to touch to do so), but quite probably, if one were to rest in this comfortable room for a time, it would enact some sort of change upon the body. Given the warm pleasantness of this room and the benevolence of the other tombs, probably a beneficial change -- unless this room is just a trap and the real reward is beyond the one remaining orb. Difficult to tell, if you're paranoid.

Shian finds nothing hidden, other than some nice footstools under the comfortable chairs.

This last orb is not quite the same as the plane shift orbs, nor is it the same as the darker, non-plane shift orbs, nor is it the same as the very first orb you came across. It does have an aura of conjuration, but it's impossible to identify it without touching it. Are you sure you want to touch it right now?

Sliver
2015-06-14, 12:40 PM
Scarecrow

Examining the aura, Scarecrow turns to the others. "This could be the final room, and it seems like resting here would yield the reward. Of course, there is a chance that it is a trap, but... I find that unlikely. It doesn't fit with any of the other tombs so far, none were deceitful. I say we rest here, see what happens."

Rizban
2015-06-14, 02:37 PM
Shian

The little bird says nothing and just shrugs. He's getting tired of being forever underground. Mazes feel too much like traps and snares to him, and he's ready to be free. He's not about to strike out on his own though, not this far underground.

RaggedAngel
2015-06-14, 02:48 PM
Doldor

The dwarf thinks for a moment, stroking his beard. Then he shrugs off his pack, dropping it to the ground with a heavy thump. "All of the tombs so far have been safe places, relatively speaking. The maze had some undead in it, sure, but this doesn't feel like a trap to me. It doesn't seem to be in the character of the party that made this place."

Brutus settles down on the floor, yawning slightly. Doldor smiles, and then pats his own chest. "And besides, I'm feeling strong right now. Like I've grown a little closer to nature. Ironic, given our surroundings, but we are in the ranger's tomb. I vote we take a rest here. With any luck, it'll be the last one we have to take in this haunted place. I'm looking forward to your side mission, Scarecrow; from the sound of it, we might actually get to be out-of-doors for a while."

I'm fairly sure Scarecrow has shared his intentions in character. If he hasn't, ignore that last bit.

Artorias
2015-06-14, 07:14 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius sits in the corner and places his Dwarven warpike down next to him. "I agree. We don't know where this might lead. We should proceed once we have recovered our strength. While I think that the test was the labyrinth we cannot be certain that this is the end of it." He takes out a piece of cloth, places his weapon on his lap and begins cleaning it. Without taking his focus away from the maintenance he says " Forgive me but I lost track of time. How long have we been down here?"

RaggedAngel
2015-06-14, 07:28 PM
Doldor

Doldor raises his brow at the swordsman, then he steps over and grips him lightly on the arm. There is a faint surge of magic, and Leontius can feel some of the pain of his injury fade away. "There you go, that should help it heal faster and cleaner. I'm glad you're feeling a little more calm. And to tell the truth, I don't exactly know how long it's been; I lose track when I sleep. All I know is how deep underground we are."

Doldor casts Cure Minor Wounds and heals Leontius for 1.

Doldor will also use his dwarven depth sense (he also used it on the Plane of Elemental Earth, though I suspect he got a 404 error there.)

Malimar
2015-06-14, 09:05 PM
DM

Doldor has prepared spells several times already, which means you've been down here for at least several days!

Doldor did indeed get an error on the Plane of Earth. He got, not a 404 error, but a 413 error: Request Entity Too Large! Which is to say, when he tried to get a sense of how deep underground he was (a sense that normally works as intuitively as a human's sense of which way is up), the only answer he got was "yes". How deep? Yes deep. The Plane of Earth may well be infinite in all directions.

Meanwhile, here on the Material Plane, he's only a few dozen feet underground. Roughly the same as the rest of the catacombs. (This south end of the catacombs is a fair bit shallower than the northern end, actually, but the catacombs are almost perfectly level: it's the surface that's slanted).

And so the party settles into the comfy chairs (or, in at least one case, a corner) for another rest!

...time passes strangely here.

According to the party's sense of time, it's only an hour that passes. (And, indeed, in reality, only an hour does pass.) Barely enough time for a power nap.

But after that hour, the party feels perfectly rested and refreshed, as though they've spent 24 hours lolling in bed. (And thus those of you who heal naturally recover twice your character level in hit points.) But without the hunger one would expect from having done that -- indeed, the party feels pleasantly full, as if they've just eaten a meal that was just shy of too large.

Doldor even feels unusually at one with nature here, and may prepare spells as though it were the correct time of day to do so even though it is not the correct time of day.

And, as promised, the party rises slightly changed, their minds swimming with subtle new techniques for surviving in nature, as though they had spent much time training with a master ranger. Each of you may choose a single free bonus feat from the following list: Alertness, Animal Affinity, Endurance, Run, Self-Sufficient, or Track.

And that's all. The room remains warm and pleasant, and the party feels that they may rest here as long as they wish, but they have a sense that no further benefits are forthcoming.

Artorias
2015-06-14, 09:25 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius picks his weapon from his lap and uses it to help himself stand up. "So, is everyone ready? Let's try the orb."

Sliver
2015-06-14, 09:28 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow watches the others rest as he feels new knowledge and experience flow through him, making him faster. "I believe we are finally done with this maze and only have one tomb remaining." Scarecrow says. "Let's go talk to more doors, shall we? We were only required to map out the tombs, but... I don't know, I feel like it would be a missed opportunity to not finish it. There are only a few rooms left that we haven't touched. What do you think?" And as discussions can be had while walking, Scarecrow touches the orb once everybody has done with their prep work.

Scarecrow only mentioned wishing to go to Numiel's temple to seek counsel, he did not explain nor was asked to.

He might have said something about it to the joke door...

Malimar
2015-06-14, 09:49 PM
DM

When Scarecrow touches the orb, it transports him in a flash of light back to the beginning of the maze, to the very first orb they came across. The same thing happens when the others touch the orb.

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎╪..|..|..¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....# ╪...^....****.#
#.....# ######¶|¶######
####### ¶C¶¶¶
¶LHo¶
¶D¶¶¶
¶b¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶.¶
¶...
¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
^ = disabled trap
o = orb on a pedestal

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

Sliver
2015-06-14, 10:18 PM
Scarecrow

Looking back, Scarecrow is curious. "All of the other orbs were two-way deals... I wonder..." He says and tests the orb.

With that mystery dealt with, he returns to the talking door.

RaggedAngel
2015-06-14, 11:54 PM
Doldor

After communing with nature to gain his new spells, Doldor stands and stretches with a smile. "Well now, I was right. I am closer to nature now. Don't know if it was this room or just all the practice, but I can hold onto third-circle spells now. I've prepared Stone Shape; I don't plan on making any gaping holes in this old place if I don't have to, but it'll be one damned good last measure against anything really nasty we might see. And if we get out of here without having to fight anything tough, I'll just close up that second entrance we found to keep anyone from stumbling in and getting killed by skeletons."

He whistles cheerfully as he pulls on his armor, clearly pleased with his new magic. Once he follows Scarecrow back out into the crypt, however, he becomes as focused and quiet as always. The party is very close to the end of their quest, and that means that anything can happen.

Doldor gains Endurance (no more taking off armor to sleep, plus a pile of other benefits I'm sure will never come up) and Brutus gains Alertness (because he's already got the job of noticing when bad guys are coming).

Doldor's third level spells for today are Bite of the Werewolf and Stone Shape.

Doldor casts Barkskin on himself and Brutus; they get +2 Natural Armor for the next fifty minutes.

Artorias
2015-06-15, 12:40 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius touches the orb and follows after Scarecrow back to the doors. He stops and stands silently at the first door until all the doors are open to avoid any trouble while keeping an eye out for anything that might try to flank them when they least expect it.

Malimar
2015-06-15, 02:47 PM
DM

As it turns out, monsters have not yet reoccupied the areas between here and the doors that mark the entrance of the tomb of Savzad the Bard-Queen, so the party returns there! The first five doors recognize the party and swing open.

The sixth door opens its wooden eyes and asks again, "Have you now been found worthy of the beneficence of Kheseus the Ranger?"

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎╪CDb..|..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎╪HL|..|..¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
#.....# ######¶|¶######
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
^ = disabled trap

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-06-15, 03:29 PM
Doldor

The druid nods politely to the door. "We traversed the great maze on this world and the Plane of Elemental Earth, defeating the undead inside it until we found its center. We rested there, and the Ranger's blessing was bestowed upon us."

I just remembered that we're going to get 1000 gold for each tomb we've discovered. That isn't too shabby, considering we've also found a decent bit of loot.

And the non-material gains, feats and free domains, which can't really be measured in value.

RaggedAngel
2015-06-17, 01:01 AM
If the door seems to want more elaboration, Doldor (or someone else) will continue to describe the maze and/or the blessing.

Malimar
2015-06-17, 01:18 PM
DM

The door smiles, and says, "Indeed. Now you may pass." And it opens up for you!

The next door has oversized eyes and ears. It stares at you for a moment, then speaks, "Ah, what an interesting group. Please, entertain me with the song of your people."

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎¶CDb..|..|..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎¶HL|..|..|..¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎¶╪╪¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
#.....# ######¶|¶######
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
^ = disabled trap

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-06-17, 01:23 PM
Doldor

Doldor coughs awkwardly, clearly terrified by the prospect of singing. He looks over the party, concerned, before settling his gaze on Shian. "Do you think birdsong will count? Give it a try for us?"

Rizban
2015-06-17, 01:38 PM
Shian

'I am willing to attempt it, but I'm not known for my skill among my own people.' He, of course, leaves the door out of the telepathic loop. Unless otherwise stated, Shian will always only speak telepathically to members of the party and all members of the party, i.e. the people he trusts. To everyone and everything else, he will continue to pretend to be a normal bird.

Flying down to the ground in front of the door, the sparrow makes a sweeping gesture with one wing, crosses it cross his breast, and gives a little bow. He then turns and gives a second bow back to the party before turning back to the door. He begins to twitter and warble and otherwise make happy bird noises, occasionally emphasizing various notes and tones with sweeping gestures of his wings or hopping a few inches into the air.

[roll0] - Using an Inspiration Point for a minor boost...

Artorias
2015-06-17, 03:08 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius slowly follows the party to what he believes might be the last door. He stands close to the party and looks back at the entrance.

Malimar
2015-06-17, 03:10 PM
DM

That's adorable.

The door listens to Shian's birdsong, curiously at first, then enrapturedly. The sparrow's twittering and warbling and happy bird noises are a fine example of the genre, and would certainly serve to attract female sparrows, were there any about and were it the proper season.

When Shian's performance is complete, the door grins and declares it, "Marvelous, simply marvelous. Bravo." Then the door opens!

The next door is carved with the stern face of a warrior. It looks the party up and down and asks, "Have you been found worthy of Faucon the Fighting Man's power?"

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶..|..|..|..¶ #.....# #.╪‎
‎¶..|..|..|..¶ #.....# #.#‎
‎¶|b¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎¶LD¶ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
‎¶HC¶ ¶..|..|.....# ###╪#########|#‎
¶╪╪¶ ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....# ╪...^....****.#
#.....# ######¶|¶######
#######

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
^ = disabled trap

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-06-17, 03:17 PM
Doldor

Doldor gestures at the floating shield, at Scarecrow's built-in armor, and he raises his own shield briefly. "We have indeed. We passed over sand, water, acid, and a great fall, and we were given a blessing by his great anvil."

Malimar
2015-06-17, 03:50 PM
DM

The door says only, "Splendid", and opens up, revealing... one more door!

This next door blinks its eyes, looks a bit excited to have visitors, and says, "Hello, hello! Here to see the Bard-Queen, are we? Well, before I can let you in to see her, I need you to tell me a story about... the planes."

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶||¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎¶..¶ ¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
‎¶..¶ ¶..|..|.....# ###╪#########|#‎
¶|b¶ ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....# ╪...^....****.#
¶LD╪ #.....# ######¶|¶######
¶HC╪ #######
¶¶¶¶

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
^ = disabled trap

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus

RaggedAngel
2015-06-17, 04:34 PM
Doldor

Doldor glances at the party, shrugs, then begins to think of a good story.

After a moment, however, he pauses. A subtle frown appears on his brow. "What do you mean exactly, see the bard-queen? Didn't she pass away a long time ago?"

Malimar
2015-06-17, 05:22 PM
DM

The door responds matter-of-factly, "Oh, yes, centuries ago. That's why she's got a tomb and isn't still ruling."

RaggedAngel
2015-06-17, 06:48 PM
Doldor

The dwarf nods, satisfied. "Right, well then. Sorry about my concern, I was just worried we were about to open this door onto a lich or something. Now then, a story about the planes is what you want?"

He takes out his waterskin, taking a long pull and sighing as if it were beer instead of springwater. Then he pours a little water into his cupped hand. The surface of it shines in the torchlight, perfectly clear and still. "There are only six things in all the world, and they're all in this chamber right now. Light, fire, air, water, earth, and shadow." He speaks slowly, his pace measured, and his eyes go to the torch, the water in his hand, the stone walls, and the shadows clinging to them.

"In the very beginning the six elements were separate from each other, held distinct in the endless Astral Sea. The elemental planes are both infinite and bounded; someone in the Chaotic Plane of Air can fly or fall for an eternity and never find solid ground, but the plane is contained within boundaries. Each plane had their own kinds of life, elementals and celestials, demons and devils, but nothing ever truly changed. On the grand scale, our universe was static and fixed."

He then, slowly, tips his cupped hand. The water pooled in it trickles out, splashing down onto the floor. He watches it for a moment, then continues, his tone oddly melancholy. "Then the gods came. We don't know from where. We don't know why, or how. Maybe they were angels and demons who grew too strong and became something new. Maybe they came from other worlds, exiles or explorers with power unlike anything our world possesses. But no matter the details, they came, and they upset the balance. It was likely intentional; gods need worshipers, and there is no better source of worship than mortals. They brought the six elements together in a new plane, a plane that was at once perfectly balanced and eternally unbalanced; a place of both order and chaos, good and evil, hot and cold, light and dark. An impossible world, from the perspective of the original six planes, and yet here we stand."

He sighs, and holds up his holly and mistletoe for the door to see. "Life filled this world. Mortal life, of a sort that could never exist on the elemental planes. And my kind came to be. Druids. People who worship not the gods, but the world itself. They loved this world, this Material Plane, as I do today. But something happened, long ago, that destroyed the balance the gods had once wrought. The connection to the Lawful Plane of Earth was severed by a mortal, and the world became Inundated completely. The majority of life was destroyed, for mortal life is fragile and this calamity was both unforeseen and global. The seas were our only home for lifetimes, and the gods did nothing to help. Either they could not, or they would not; in the end, it does not matter. Another mortal, or group of mortals, took the first step in bringing Earth back to our world. The connection with that plane is now restored, but it is weak."

Doldor looks the door in the eyes. "The balance between planes, between worlds, is a delicate one. One that has been shattered once before, and that has not yet been repaired. Someone still needs to shepherd the Lawful Plane of Earth home."

Not so much a story as everything he knows to date, but I'm happy with it.

As for his showmanship, he does have a charisma penalty; feel free to imagine him as stiff and dour and slightly melodramatic.

Malimar
2015-06-17, 08:34 PM
DM

The door responds to Doldor's concern with, "Oh heavens no, she's not a lich. Aren't liches evil?"

Then it listens raptly to the dwarf's tale!

The door interjects only once in the middle, with an, "Oh, that must be why it was so wet in here for so long, and why the last candidates we had down here were a band of merfolk -- pleasant folks. Oh, my apologies, do continue."

When Doldor finishes his tale, the door is silent for a time, then says, "A splendid tale. I wish you well on this quest. Perhaps the Bard-Queen can help." And then the door opens up, revealing:

A 25'x25' square room, dominated by a huge irregularly-shaped stone table. In the northeastern corner of the room is a large stone throne, facing the table.

The throne is empty at first, but after the party enters the room, something materializes on it -- a ghostly dwarven queen, wearing a rather fanciful crown, well-dressed in regal robes. The apparition stretches her arms as if woken from a long nap, and inspects the party.

After a time, she says, in archaic Common (presumably tailoring her communication to a party of mostly non-dwarves)(I'm not going to try to represent the archaic-ness of her speech with "thou"s and "hath"s, because that never turns out well, but that's about the level of archaism we're dealing with), "Greetings to you. You have reached the end of our final test. As you have already found, each of my party has left, as our legacy, tombs empowered to reward the worthy. As you have passed all of our tests, it now falls to me to bestow my legacy upon your party. Within this tomb, I am empowered to grant a single boon of your choice; a single wish." The queen chuckles (almost, but not quite, a giggle), "The real final test, of course, is whether you can all agree on one thing to ask me for."

###|##########╪####
╪.................╪
‎ #.###.#######.###.#
‎ #.....╪.....# #.#‎
‎ #.....####### #.#‎
‎¶||¶¶¶¶¶¶¶||¶¶¶¶.....# #.#‎
‎¶..¶...SS¶..|..|.....# #.#‎
‎¶..¶.--SS¶..|..|.....# ###╪#########|#‎
¶||¶.---.¶¶¶¶¶¶¶.....# ╪...^....****.#
¶..bDC--.¶ #.....# ######¶|¶######
¶..|LH...¶ #######
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

. = floor
# = wall
╪ = closed door
| = open door
0 = sarcophagus
^ = disabled trap
- = stone table

C = Scarecrow
H = Shian
L = Leontius
D = Doldor
b = Brutus
S = ghostly dwarven queen sitting on stone throne

RaggedAngel
2015-06-17, 08:53 PM
Doldor

The dwarf falls to his knees when the queen speaks, and he dips his head to her reverently before speaking. "I am a simple dwarf, my queen, and I feel I must ask: what is within the bounds of this wish? I have heard many tales of the incredible power of wishes, but I have also heard tale of backfires when too much is asked. What, in your opinion, would be safe to wish for?"

tl;dr Is this an SLA? Can she make magic items?

Malimar
2015-06-17, 09:27 PM
DM

Savzad gestures for Doldor to rise, and answers his question, "Well, the last party that came through wanted to resurrect a fallen companion. The group before that wished for vast wealth; I left them with a fifty-pound ingot of platinum to sell. The group before that wanted to be teleported into the presence Urmaggr so they could beg him for a boon; I tried to dissuade them, but they insisted -- I'm not sure what happened to them in the end. The group before that also wanted wealth, so they got a platinum ingot. The one before that... my memory is hazy, I think they wanted some malevolent overlord teleported here so they could kill him away from all his defenses.

"Don't worry, I'm not some evil genie to twist your wish; if your request is outside my power, I'll just tell you, I won't go perverting your wish. Unless you annoy me a lot, then all bets are off." She chuckles again.

Either it's an SLA, or she's paying the XP cost; either way, it's free for you. Savzad's caster level is 20, for the purpose of effects that depend on CL.

Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value. is an option, as is
Create a magic item, or add to the powers of an existing magic item. although in this case a created magic item will also be limited to up to 25,000 gp in value (or 25,000 gp worth of added value, in the case of the "add to the powers of an existing magic item" clause).

RaggedAngel
2015-06-17, 10:07 PM
Doldor

Doldor rises to his feet, though he still keeps his eyes a bit low. He's clearly unused to dealing with other dwarves, let alone ancient royalty. "Thank you for your candor. After spending days down here fighting skeletons and devils it's good to have a proper conversation."

He looks back to his three companions. "Well, I'll be honest, Queen Savzad. I would love to know if you think you can bring the Plane of Earth back into alignment. I'm pretty sure that's way beyond a Wish; honestly, I'm pretty sure that's beyond even most epic magicks. But I'd be a pretty terrible druid if I didn't even ask you about it."

He sighs, a bit dejected. "Either way, actually wishing for that isn't fair to you three. You don't get any personal gain out of a fixed world, beyond having a lot more land to go exploring on. I'll understand if you want the biggest diamond she can make, or a Shroud of Scales or Ring of Invisibility or somethin' like that. You're not in this for altruism, and I respect that. But at the same time, there aren't too many people around who can match the power of Savzad the Bard-Queen; this might be a real chance to put things right."

Artorias
2015-06-17, 10:58 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius rubs his chin under the mask and after a few seconds of listening to Doldor he says "I believe that we should wish to be empowered either with magical items or to make us stronger directly if that is possible. After that we can try to bring the elemental plane of earth back into alinement. There should be another way. If you think that there is not other way then I will not object with that wish. If the water withdraws we will be able to travel and find many new temples that will grant us profit and power. Well, if she could do so I believe that she would have done so a long time ago so I doubt that she is able to grant that wish." He turns to the queen almost immediately and asks "Am I correct?"

Sliver
2015-06-17, 11:19 PM
Scarecrow

As the queen appears before them, Scarecrow bows stiffly.

Scarecrow considers the reward. "A Wish is powerful magic, but it has limits... I don't think we can ask for more than a single magical item, nor have more than one empowered directly." He says, looking at the queen for confirmation. "There is a reason it is a test for us to agree upon a wish. Otherwise, we could wish that each of us would get a wish... We have gained a lot from this expedition, both in gold and power. If this wish can take us closer to fixing the world, I think it is a honorable and wise choice."

He turns to Leontius. "While I agree that aligning the planes is not so easy, I find it unlikely that it happened during Queen Savzad's time. The last door wouldn't have been surprised otherwise. But a Wish could be a substitute for powerful divination magic, which could give us a hint and a lead regarding the first steps we must take..."

Artorias
2015-06-17, 11:49 PM
Leontius/Erebus

"Ah, forgive me, I forgot that the we are probably the first visiting the tomb after the water consumed the land and I highly doubt the Merfolk would ask for that. Well, if we can ask for that then I'm okay with that. Like I previously mentioned, it could yield huge rewards if we act fast enough. Many artifacts and tombs not unlike this one will be uncovered. "

Malimar
2015-06-18, 11:40 AM
DM

Savzad shakes her head, "Restoring the Plane of Earth to its proper place is beyond the power of a single wish. But I show you all the steps you must take to restore it, though you'll be on your own for taking those steps. Or I could teleport you to where you would need to be to get started, or teleport the first step to you. My own understanding is hazy until I actually cast the wish, so I cannot guide you more specifically than that."

She confirms for Scarecrow, "Indeed, this spell can generate but a single item, or an increase in power for one of you."

Sliver
2015-06-18, 11:44 AM
Scarecrow

Turning to Doldor, Scarecrow offers. "I believe that knowledge of the entire path will be more important than the first step, but it is your quest, and decision, to make."

RaggedAngel
2015-06-18, 01:56 PM
Doldor

The druid rubs his beard for a moment, brow furrowed in deep thought. He looks to Shian, uncertain. "I... am conflicted, my friend. My heart is telling me to find out how to set the world right, but my experience tells me that whatever the path, it will be a hard one. We have grown quite a bit in our short time together, all of us, but our skills and strength and magic are feeble compared to many who walk the world today. It may be... premature, to try to set the world straight. As Leontius suggested, it may be more prudent to gain as much wealth as we can here, and use that to become stronger.

You're smarter than me, I'll freely admit it. What do you think we should do?"

Forgive me for the forced participation, Rizban; I'm genuinely curious. :smallwink:

Artorias
2015-06-18, 03:54 PM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius stays silent for a moment, thinking about the current predicament and then says "It's the only wish we have come up with so far that all of us can profit from and get more than just a small amount of platinum out of this and if my predictions are correct we will be able to find magical artifacts along the way since it is likely we will be traveling to great places of magical power. At the very least there will be treasure and if someone has taken it then there will be little to no danger. Unless I missed something or someone has a better idea for a wish I say we wish for that."

He instantly turns to the queen and without showing any respect he asks "How much information do you usually give for that kind of wish? Do you think that you would be able to tell us about all of the steps we need to bring back the earth plane and all of the difficulties that lie ahead?"

Rizban
2015-06-18, 04:12 PM
Shian

The little sparrow seems to have not been paying much attention to the conversation. He's been busy trying to decide just how to best spend the wish. He turns to Doldor when the dwarf interrupts his reverie and says exasperatedly, 'I wish I knew what to wish for!'

Malimar
2015-06-18, 04:28 PM
DM

Savzad tilts her head slightly at Leontius, and seems not entirely certain. "The wish should certainly be able to tell you all the steps in terms of where to go and what to do there and probably even how to do it. But it probably won't reveal all the difficulties of the journey, no."

RaggedAngel
2015-06-18, 08:14 PM
Doldor

The druid nods to the queen in acknowledgement. "I was about to apologize for taking so long, but I suppose you don't get a lot of visitors down here. Still, we should make up our minds. I propose we put it to a vote between the four of us. If there's a tie, we'll flip a coin."

He waits to see if anyone objects before continuing. "As far as I can tell, there are a few options. First is to as for the biggest diamond she can make; if you're right and Wish has a limit to how valuable of a nonmagical thing it can make, and that would be a good way to reach that limit and still be able to carry it out of here.

Second, we can wish to know the details of the method required to bring the Plane of Earth back into alignment. We wouldn't have to set out to do it right away; heck, we probably wouldn't be able to. But we would know, and that knowledge will surely wait the months or years it takes for us to become strong enough to do something about it. And while there wouldn't be immediate gain, there would be a reward of a different kind for people like us."

He looks around the party, slowly. "The term is adventurers, but we do more than just explore. We have access to magic and skill and power, and that's not going to change. It's just going to grow. And when we bring the seas back down to the level they're supposed to be, there is going to be a lot of new, unclaimed land out there, waiting for powerful people to put a claim to it."

He shrugs, then gestures to the ethereal queen. "I'm not a orator, and I'm even less of a political leader. I'm just a druid. I like trees, and grass, and nature. Maybe none of us want to start countries or anything like that; but we could still have a hand in shaping the world. A chance to make it better than it is today in a way that is remembered for a thousand thousand years."

Doldor scratches his beard. "Of course, I'm being selfish. We could wish for Scarecrow to become a, er, more typical dragon. We could wish for Leontius to remember himself, though I think there are lesser magicks that can solve that particular problem." He looks to Shian, and cracks an uncharacteristic smile. "We could wish for Shian to find a sense of proper dwarven composure. All equally good ideas, as far as I can tell."

Rizban
2015-06-18, 08:20 PM
Shian

'We could wish for Doldor to develop a proper sense of humor...'

Rizban
2015-06-18, 08:25 PM
Shian

'We could wish for Doldor to develop a proper sense of humor...'

Shian twitters to himself for a moment.

'I think you're really over thinking this. You're thinking both too big and too small. Let us keep it simple and at the same time make it the most complex we possibly can.

I propose we wish for the ability and opportunity to achieve our greatest desires.'

Why not just wish for a copy of the GM's notes? Seems totally within the realm of a wish's power.

Edit: Oops. This was supposed to be an edit to the last post...

RaggedAngel
2015-06-18, 09:08 PM
Doldor

Doldor ignores the bird's ribbing, but he seems to take his suggestion seriously. "I... I'm not sure if it's that easy. I don't think it would work for all of us, for starters. Just one of us. And beyond that, well..."

He looks to the ghostly queen. "Sorry for leaving you out of the loop, I think he only speaks to the three of us. Shian is sentient and telepathic, you see. He suggests we, and I'm quoting him here, 'wish for the ability and opportunity to achieve our greatest desires'. I don't think it works like that, but you're the expert."

Sliver
2015-06-18, 11:37 PM
Scarecrow

"Not equally good, no." Scarecrow says. "Wealth comes and goes, and can be obtained by many means. Leontius... His condition is almost as foreign to him as it is to us. It should be studied carefully before drastic measures are taken. What if there is a reason behind his memories being locked away? Lesser mortal magic can be used to help diagnose him, and perhaps even fix his condition, before something so drastic is used... As for me? Well, I'm not certain how a wish would handle such a thing, but I rather not have to squeeze out of this place as a dragon. Don't worry about it." He shrugs it off.

"Matter is, all your alternative suggestions are on a smaller scope. Realigning the Earth may be your quest, but it is not a selfish goal. A more cynical forged would suggest that you bring up these small-scale alternatives to make your own request sound the most humble and righteous. Me? I simply want you to stop delaying and finding reasons why someone else should make the call for you."

"Just because it may be something you wish to achieve, doesn't mean it is selfish. If you really want to not use this opportunity to advance the effort of fixing the world, then yes, a jewel such as you offered would be easiest to sell and split. The ceiling of the spell is 25 thousand, I believe. Which corresponds with the fifty pound block of platinum..."

Scarecrow considers. "The Kingsguard that posted this quest is also interested in breeding chromatic dragons and eradicating the metallic ones. Who knows how many groups will they send if they learn about the Queen's Reward... Who knows what they might do... Is the reward worth it?"

Malimar
2015-06-19, 10:33 AM
DM

Savzad tilts her head slightly in the other direction, contemplating the suggestion Doldor passes on from Shian. "I don't know that it could do all of you. A wish is generally limited to one thing at a time. I wouldn't be able to guarantee the desired results in that case."

Artorias
2015-06-19, 11:40 AM
Leontius/Erebus

Leontius sighs and sits on the floor. "We should just vote. I think that we all presented our ideas so further debate is needless since it appears we lack a lot of information to discard the remaining ideas. I vote for the Earth plane Idea. It appears to be the one with the best long-term profit. The downside is that it will probably be hard to complete and it might take a long time to do so. Also we should not speak of what happened in this room to anyone. It could give power to those that are unworthy to wield it. "

Rizban
2015-06-20, 02:23 AM
Shian

'We could always wish that one of us to somehow obtain the ability to grant wishes...'

I mean, a candle of invocation that can call wish-granting creatures is only 8,400gp...

RaggedAngel
2015-06-20, 05:37 PM
Doldor

Doldor rolls his eyes at Shian, but he gives Leontius a rare dwarven smile. "You speak good sense. I agree on all counts; the road may be a difficult one, to be sure, but I believe it to be a quest of utter importance. As for your other point..."

He looks to Savzad. "I am not a dishonest dwarf. Never saw the need for it, to be honest. But would you be offended if we chose to lie about your reward? Said that it was something treasure hunters wouldn't seek, like advice or honor or something along those lines?"

I realized that Doldor would genuinely care what Savzad thought about the whole thing. He's odd like that.

Malimar
2015-06-20, 06:43 PM
DM

Queen Savzad laughs again, "We ran a dungeon once where it turned out the true reward was 'friendship'. We were so mad; we were just in it for the riches. Luckily some damnfool had plated the dungeon's door with adamantine, so we just took off with that. No reason not to have both friendship and riches.

"Anyhow, knock yourself out, we can say getting to the root of the lies is part of the quest."

I mean, a candle of invocation that can call wish-granting creatures is only 8,400gp...:smallannoyed:

Rizban
2015-06-20, 08:40 PM
Shian

'Probably not the best idea, I suppose...'

Shian changes his telepathy to include the Bard Queen.

'Honestly, I can't think of anything that we could wish for that we can't already just do for ourselves. By that I mean that anything we could readily wish for would only make our path slightly easier. Whether we ask for riches or power or information, it's nothing we wouldn't gain on our own in time anyway.

Queen Savzad, allow me to ask you a question. If you were in our position, how is it that you would spend your wish?'

I was being rather silly with that suggestion. There's no way I'd ever allow that in any of the games I DM and think it's way too cheesy to actually do myself.
On the other wing... there's always Pazuzu... :smalltongue:

Malimar
2015-06-20, 09:06 PM
DM

Connecting to Savzad's mind is like entering an ancient, dusty dwarven library. She considers this question! "That's a good question." She's not some genie trapped in a lamp to wish for freedom; she set this tomb up on purpose. "If I were still a young adventurer and was in your position, I'd... probably be torn between 'vast wealth' on the one hand and asking for the information to fix the world on the other: it does seem like a quest that would bring great fortune and glory. Or I might even ask to save it for later: my powers are limited outside this room, but I could still mimic the effect of, say, a raise dead if it becomes necessary in the course of your questing." (I.e.: if you choose to save it for later, it will be a limited wish rather than a wish.)

Rizban
2015-06-20, 09:12 PM
Shian

'For that matter, we could wish for a map of this full dungeon including locations of valuables...

Or, or a magic map that shows us the surrounding areas and updates to wherever we are, including locations of valuable treasure, of course.'

Sliver
2015-06-20, 09:14 PM
Scarecrow

"A wish that we cannot replicate ourselves by other means..." Scarecrow considers. "For the Queen to grant no further wishes. Honestly, I am concerned by the intentions of the Kingsguard. Even if we don't tell them about this, that quest will eventually be completed by someone. They will come here and who knows what they will do..."

"Another wish we can ask for is to open a new thread for the game. We cannot fulfill it ourselves." Scarecrow adds.

Malimar
2015-06-20, 09:26 PM
"Another wish we can ask for is to open a new thread for the game. We cannot fulfill it ourselves." Scarecrow adds.

This wish is granted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423094-Megadungeon-B-II-(IC)&p=19429429) as a freebie.