PDA

View Full Version : Warforged, in the style of Gnorman's e6

Blueiji
2012-07-01, 11:40 PM
So I'm running a campaign in which I have a race of living constructs called the "Tobor Korshim". Mechanically, they're exactly the same as Warforged, although fluff-wise they're pretty different.

The campaign is an e6 campaign that uses Gnorman's e6 compendium races and classes.

This is my adaptation to the Warforged race to the style of Gnorman's compendium.

- Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, –2 Wisdom: Tobor are resilient and powerful, but their mechanical body was not built for especially acute sensory perception, and their sense of duty can sometimes overcome their common sense.

- Medium: As Medium constructs, Tobor have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

- Speed: Tobor base land speed is 30 feet.

- Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a Tobor, there is a 25% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

- Body Slam: A Tobor has a natural weapon in the form of a slam attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.

- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any.

- Favored Classes: Sentinel and Engineer

- Composite Plating: The plating used to build a Tobor provides a +2 armor bonus. This plating is not natural armor and does not stack with other effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural armor). This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a Tobor cannot benefit from the effects of magic armor or magic robes. Composite plating can gain a magic enhancement bonus and magic armor properties as armor can, using the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat. The character must be present for the entire time it takes to add this enhancement. In addition, spells and infusions that normally target armor, such as magic vestment and armor enhancement, can be cast with the composite plating of a Tobor character as the target. Composite plating also provides a Tobor with a 5% arcane spell failure chance, similar to the penalty for wearing light armor. Any class ability that allows a Tobor to ignore the arcane spell failure chance for light armor lets him ignore this penalty as well.

- Blueprint Designation: All Tobor select a blueprint from the list below, which offer them different bonuses and abilities. This choice is permanent. These “blueprints” are identical to a biological race’s “bloodlines”.

- Living Construct Subtype (Ex): Tobor are constructs with the living construct subtype. A living construct is a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments. Tobor are living constructs who combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures, as detailed below.
• A Tobor derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.
• Unlike other constructs, a Tobor has a Constitution score.
• Unlike other constructs, a Tobor does not have low-light vision or dark-vision.
• Unlike other constructs, a Tobor is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
• Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition and energy drain.
• A Tobor cannot heal lethal damage naturally.
• Unlike other constructs, Tobor are subject, to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, death effects, and necromancy effects.
• As living constructs, Tobor can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a Tobor can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a Tobor is vulnerable to disable construct and harm. However, spells from the healing sub-school and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effects to a Tobor.
• The unusual physical construction of Tobor makes them vulnerable to certain spells and effects that normally don’t affect living creatures. A Tobor takes damage from heat metal and chill metal as if he were wearing metal armor. Likewise, a Tobor is affected by repel metal or stone as if he were wearing metal armor. A Tobor is repelled by repel wood. The iron in the body of a Tobor makes him vulnerable to rusting grasp, taking 2d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex half; save DC 14 + caster’s ability modifier). A Tobor takes the same damage from a rust monster’s touch (Reflex DC 17 half). Spells such as stone to flesh, stone shape, warp wood, and wood shape affect objects only and thus cannot be used on a Tobor.
• A Tobor responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A Tobor with 0 hit points is disabled, as with a living creature. He can take only a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than –10, a Tobor is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and cannot perform any actions. An inert Tobor does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, however, as with a living creature that has become stable.
• As a living construct, a Tobor can be raised or resurrected.
• A Tobor does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but he can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions.
• Although living constructs do not need to sleep, a Tobor wizard must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

- Bred For A Purpose: At 3rd level a Tobor gains a +2 racial bonus to initiative checks and saving throws against fear and fear effects.

- Flesh is Weak, Steel is Strong: At 6th level a Tobor fighter gains a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls made with his slam attack or with any weapon attached as a Tobor component.

Bloodlines

Citadel Blueprint
• +2 Strength
• Citadel Tobor gain a bonus Tobor body feat at first level.

Watcher Blueprint
• +2 Dexterity
• Watcher Tobor change their size to small, gaining all the benefits and drawbacks of a creature with the small size. Watcher Tobor also gain a +2 racial bonus to Spot and Listen skill checks.

Mechanist Blueprint
• +2 Intelligence
• Mechanist Tobor gain four extra skill points at first level, and one extra skill point at every following level.

Reforged Blueprint
• +2 Charisma
• Reforged Tobor gain the “Unarmored Body” feat for free at first level. When a Reforged Tobor gains Tobor body feats from the “Bred for a Purpose”, and “Flesh is Weak, Steel is Strong” abilities he/she may instead take any other feat (subject to the DM). A Reforged gains a + 2 racial bonus to Diplomacy and Sense Motive skill checks.

Epitome of the Forged (Optional Epic Destiny)

Prerequisites: 6th-level character, twenty "epic" feats

Benefits: At the DM's discretion, a Tobor character that has reached epic status may gain this ability. He gains a +2 inherent bonus to two ability scores of his choice, his “Bred For A Purpose” bonuses increase to +4, and the reductions in armor check penalty from his bonuses from the “Flesh is Weak, Steel is Strong” ability double.
This is my first homebrew, so please be gentle during PEACHing (not that I don't want criticism, I just don't need it to be hostile).

Also, note that I want the power level to be on par with the rest of Gnorman's e6 races, which are located here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231153

Blueiji
2012-07-03, 06:03 PM
Bump? I could really use some advice and PEACHing on this home-brew.

Mangles
2012-07-04, 04:30 AM
These guys are warforged+ and probably deserve at least LA +1 and maybe even a +2, especially in a E6 campaign.

The reasoning is that in E6 if you have 1 LA instead of getting 32 point buy you end up with 25 point buy. This can approximate to a +2 difference in stats at the high end of the point buy scale.

The stat bonus in your blueprint equals about an extra LA in an e6 campaign. That coupled with the other bonuses given at levels 1, 3 and 6 are what made me consider it being worth maybe 2 LA.

That being said, when comparing to Gnorman's races these are not as big a difference as when comparing to a regular 3.5 races. His races are stronger than those presented in regular 3.5. This race is probably on par with his in regards to power. Though I am not the best judge of that sort of thing, it does fit his method of racial construction. Warforged were always one of the stronger 3.5 races though, so this may be too much.

BTW if I was playing this race, I would be an engineer. Take the warforged heavy armour feats, run into battle and drop sleeping gas and other grenades that don't affect warforged at my feet all day.

EDIT: I have decided to recommend not giving out warforged body feats at levels 3 and 6. besides most of them needing to be taken at level 1 anyway, make the 6th level ability get rid of that clause in the feat and just let players buy them. Its E6, they will get plenty of feats anyway.

Blueiji
2012-07-04, 09:59 PM
This race was meant to be used in conjunction with Gnorman's other e6 races, so the only balance I'm looking for is balance with those.

I'm gonna make the changes that you said in the above post.