PDA

View Full Version : Requesting trap XP help.

inexorabletruth
2012-07-02, 08:48 AM
So confused.

A party that I'm DM'ing has split up to explore a small temple riddled with natural traps (the place is a dilapidated, burnt out wreck, so it's mainly CR1 pit traps, with high risks for collapses and cave-ins.)

Because no one has search ranks, Arch/Eng ranks or Dungeoneering ranks, they set off pretty much every trap in the whole temple, and effectively tore that whole temple to the ground... but they survived. By my understanding, surviving a trap is enough to get XP from it. But my question is, how much?

Four guys split off into three different directions, so most of them encountered traps on their own. Does that mean for every CR1 trap a PC sets off and survives alone he gets 300 XP (they're all level 3)?

I assume that if the whole party is together when the trap is triggered, you'd split the XP. I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I've never DM'd a dungeon delver before and I've never had such a trap heavy environment. I don't want to cheat my players, but I don't want to spoon feed them unnecessary XP either.

Tim Proctor
2012-07-02, 10:05 AM
http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/xp/

Should help you out, put the amount and level of people and CR in and it'll give it to you. Since not everyone faced all the same traps the amount each person got will be different.

Blind Orc
2012-07-02, 11:33 AM
So confused.

A party that I'm DM'ing has split up to explore a small temple riddled with natural traps (the place is a dilapidated, burnt out wreck, so it's mainly CR1 pit traps, with high risks for collapses and cave-ins.)

Because no one has search ranks, Arch/Eng ranks or Dungeoneering ranks, they set off pretty much every trap in the whole temple, and effectively tore that whole temple to the ground... but they survived. By my understanding, surviving a trap is enough to get XP from it. But my question is, how much?

Four guys split off into three different directions, so most of them encountered traps on their own. Does that mean for every CR1 trap a PC sets off and survives alone he gets 300 XP (they're all level 3)?

I assume that if the whole party is together when the trap is triggered, you'd split the XP. I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I've never DM'd a dungeon delver before and I've never had such a trap heavy environment. I don't want to cheat my players, but I don't want to spoon feed them unnecessary XP either.

The trap wants them not to pass through. That is the challenge of the trap encounter. If they pass through they get the same exp they would get if for example instead of a trap, there was a monster blocking their way, and they killed it. If you would give the exp to everyone, then give the exp for the trap to everyone too.