PDA

View Full Version : I am Forbidden?

Vizzerdrix
2012-07-02, 11:55 AM
I keep getting this message whenever I try to post in a certain topic. Any ideas what its about?

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/newreply.php on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at www.giantitp.com Port 80

Castaras
2012-07-02, 11:56 AM
Were you talking about lynxes?

Zherog
2012-07-02, 11:57 AM
Where did you get this error?

When did you get this error?

Did you try again? If so, what was the result?

edit: Thanks, Castaras, for reminding me that this is the error that pops up from the goofy security on the server.

The two most common causes of that are the word lynx followed by a space, and a colon followed by two spaces. There's a few other causes as well, but those two are the most common.

(if you have the lynx issue, quote my post to see the work-around. If you have the colon-spaces issue, remove one of the spaces; you don't need it anyway.)

Vizzerdrix
2012-07-02, 11:57 AM
Yes. yes I was.

Zherog
2012-07-02, 11:59 AM
See my edit on how to resolve it...

Vizzerdrix
2012-07-02, 12:00 PM
Where did you get this error?

When did you get this error?

Did you try again? If so, what was the result?

In this topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248180)

I tried to post the same message several times to the same outcome.

Now why would talking about that particular type of wild cat cause issues, Castaras?

Ah! Thank you. I'll use the work oround. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2012-07-02, 12:15 PM
Now why would talking about that particular type of wild cat cause issues, Castaras?

Because there is a potential security flaw in the lynx software that allows hackers to gain access to the server. (The killer, though, is that the GitP server doesn't even have the software installed, but the host continues to filter any traffic that includes it.)

Ah! Thank you. I'll use the work oround. :smallsmile:

Cheers!

Castaras
2012-07-02, 12:49 PM
Had forgotten the colon + double space reason, heh. Only remembered adorable kitties. :smalltongue:

Zherog
2012-07-02, 01:09 PM
Of course you remembered adorable kitties. Who could forget? *whistles innocently*

There's other text strings that trigger it as well, but I can't recall what those are. The two are far and away the most common, though.

Palanan
2012-07-02, 03:37 PM
Yup, I had the exact same issue, trying to cite the stats for a lynx from Races of Faerūn. Took me twelve hours to finally make the post, and only because Rawhide explained it to me.