PDA

View Full Version : StP Erudite Lich

Roguenewb
2012-07-02, 02:09 PM
So, I'm building a nemesis for my players, an StP Erudite Lich who believes he should be in charge of everything, and made himself immortal so he'd have time to learn everything and use all the power to gain total control of the world. My only problem is....technically the Lich process demands a "caster level of 11" and Craft Wondrous Item feat, is there any published way to Psionic Lich an Elan?

Psyren
2012-07-02, 02:14 PM
Strictly speaking, transparency doesn't extend to feats. This means that a psion/erudite wouldn't be able to pick up the prerequisite feat (Craft Wondrous Item) without picking up 3 CL somewhere.

It doesn't apply to templates either, so you would then need the 11 CL to actually become a Lich from another source. If you were able to satisfy both of these another way though (e.g. being a Cerebremancer) then you could become a Lich.

My main question though is - why go to all this trouble? Elans are already immortal.

erikun
2012-07-02, 02:38 PM
You could easily rewrite psionic lichdom as gaining the secrets of an Alhoon (psychic Illithid "lich") and applying appropriate psionic feats and powers.

Then again, you hardly need to be undead to gain immortality as a Psion. Elans are already immortal, and you could use Mind Switch/Astral Seed or just True Mind Switch to steal bodies and keep on living.

Roguenewb
2012-07-02, 02:40 PM
>_< Elans are immortal. Sigh. Sorry everybody. How much does Alhoon differ from lich?

Psyren
2012-07-02, 02:43 PM
>_< Elans are immortal. Sigh. Sorry everybody. How much does Alhoon differ from lich?

Almost identical. They have the augmented aberration subtype and slightly higher natural armor than a normal lich; everything else is the same, including the CR/LA adjustment, and phylactery.

JustPlayItLoud
2012-07-02, 04:53 PM
If 3rd party is an option, there's a psionic lich template in Hyperconscious. Overall it has a pretty positive reputation and in some cases if more well respected than Complete Psionic. I haven't read the whole thing, but I have a tendency to agree with that assessment. It ends up using Craft Universal Item in place of Craft Wondrous Item.

JeminiZero
2012-07-02, 07:05 PM
While immortal, Elan still suffer from aging penalties (-6 Con hurts). For your immortality needs, there is also Necropolitan from Libris Mortis. No phylactery though, so you need to use Clone or Astral Seed as your backup instead.

Psyren
2012-07-02, 07:20 PM
While immortal, Elan still suffer from aging penalties (-6 Con hurts).

Good grief, how long do your campaigns run for that to be an issue? :smalltongue:

Varil
2012-07-03, 02:27 AM
Go for the Crystal Master PrC. One of the potentials benefits of the class is immunity to aging penalties(you still die when your time is up, but Elans laugh at your puny mortal coil, and StP Erudites laugh at Inevitables.)

Endarire
2012-07-03, 02:35 AM
I second Hyperconscious's Psionic Lich. No level adjustment (!) for pretty much the same abilities as a standard Lich, plus some unique things, makes it well worth the 120K and 4800XP. (That's less, of course, if you're a Thrallherd with an Artificer thrall.)

Psyren
2012-07-03, 07:25 AM
Go for the Crystal Master PrC. One of the potentials benefits of the class is immunity to aging penalties(you still die when your time is up, but Elans laugh at your puny mortal coil, and StP Erudites laugh at Inevitables.)

For added flavor, be an Eberron Elan, as they can use Quori Shards. Now you can put crystals in your crystals in your crystals. (Yo dawg...)