PDA

View Full Version : [FR] Anauroch: The Empire of Shade DMing advice

Renegade Paladin
2012-07-02, 08:45 PM
This thread will contain major spoilers for the published campaign books Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land, and Anauroch: The Empire of Shade. If you are playing in any of these (which form a sequential campaign arc) you may wish to stop reading now. Thank you.

For those still reading: I have a bit of a dilemma. The party is in the Crypt of Augathra the Mad for a second time in the company of the Terraseer, having missed the seal from the Chalice of Amaunator the first time through. They did this by basically going straight downstairs and skipping the upper level of the dungeon, where the problem comes in.

Since they skipped the upper level of the dungeon entirely, when they were informed of what they missed and taken back, the encounter with the dust wights was still there. One of the party members rolled a 1 on his Fortitude save against their petrification aura and is now a statue, which is where the problem comes in. From here, the Terraseer is supposed to take the party straight to the Tomb of the Thaalud, from which they cannot escape on their own without completing the adventure there, which leaves no opportunity to heal the stricken party member. I could just have the Terraseer fix him with stone to flesh (since he's an unstatted and arbitrarily powerful archmage, after all), but he's well established at this point as loathe to give away services for free and uninterested in simple monetary compensation, as well as in a hurry to get the party on its way to the point where he just dumps them straight off at the next adventure area, deep enough in the Underdark to foil teleportation, with no chance to resupply. I'll keep that as my backup plan, but does anyone have a better idea? What's left of the party is currently preparing to enter the burial complex where they'll find the seal, so there's not a lot of dungeon left to put a solution into.

Yajirobe
2012-07-02, 09:36 PM
I dont know any of the modules, but couldn't you place a relic with an undead and this archmage just asks to possess said relic in exchange for saving their friend? Just make it a MacGuffin that needs some serious study or some ritual thatthe archmage knows but the PCs don't.

Zilzmaer
2012-07-02, 10:55 PM
Alternately, if they still have dungeon left, couldn't you just put a scroll of Stone to Flesh in the next room? Or have them owe the NPC a favor?

Alleran
2012-07-02, 11:16 PM
The Terraseer could always just geas (or similar) the PC he releases to have him do something that would benefit the Sarrukh somehow.

Renegade Paladin
2012-07-03, 02:44 PM
I dont know any of the modules, but couldn't you place a relic with an undead and this archmage just asks to possess said relic in exchange for saving their friend?
But they already gave him the MacGuffin in exchange for his help in the first place. He's back in the bottom of the dungeon preparing it for transport now. :smalltongue:

Yajirobe
2012-07-03, 05:14 PM
But they already gave him the MacGuffin in exchange for his help in the first place. He's back in the bottom of the dungeon preparing it for transport now. :smalltongue:

I second the conveniently placed scroll of Stone to Flesh. Or better yet, the Ointment of Stone to Flesh. No need of UMD. Apply on your formerly-teamate statue and be happy.

DISCLAIMER: Ointment of Stone to Flesh does not create life. Animating statues do not give them sensciece.