PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Catching Shield... Clarification plz

Kerilstrasz
2012-07-03, 04:34 AM
If a character uses a shield with the Arrow Catching enchant...

A shield with this ability attracts ranged
weapons to it. It has a deflection bonus of +1 against ranged
weapons because projectiles and thrown weapons veer toward it.
Additionally, any projectile or thrown weapon aimed at a target
within 5 feet of the shield’s wearer diverts from its original target
and targets the shield’s bearer instead. (If the wielder has total
cover relative to the attacker, the projectile or thrown weapon is
not diverted.) Additionally, those attacking the wearer with
ranged weapons ignore any miss chances that would normally
apply. Projectiles and thrown weapons that have an enhancement
bonus higher than the shield’s base AC bonus are not
diverted to the wearer (but the shield’s increased AC bonus still
applies against these weapons). The wielder can activate or deactivate
this ability with a command word.

and an archer shoots him, will the arrow be diverted on his shield (bolded part) and effectively blocks it ???
(if the arrow hit the shield then no harm for the wearer except maybe some damage on the shield )

Yora
2012-07-03, 05:01 AM
When an arrow is shot at someone next to the shield carrier, the carrier becomes the target.
Whether he was the original target or not, the arrow tries to fly at the shield, which is represented by the +1 bonus to AC against arrows.

The idea is, that the shield acts like a magnet towards arrows, bending their flightpath to curve towards the shield.
I think the shield is not meant to protect the person who carries it, but more to protect his allies that can take cover behind him.

Kerilstrasz
2012-07-03, 06:23 AM
When an arrow is shot at someone next to the shield carrier, the carrier becomes the target.
Whether he was the original target or not, the arrow tries to fly at the shield, which is represented by the +1 bonus to AC against arrows.

The idea is, that the shield acts like a magnet towards arrows, bending their flightpath to curve towards the shield.
I think the shield is not meant to protect the person who carries it, but more to protect his allies that can take cover behind him.

yes.. you actually Xplainrd what it sais above... although.. you didnt answer my question... if,as you said, the shield is a magnet then it should attract the arrow on it and the wearer is not to be harmed...

Killer Angel
2012-07-03, 06:29 AM
if,as you said, the shield is a magnet then it should attract the arrow on it and the wearer is not to be harmed...

It tends to attract the arrows: hence the +1 bonus.

JoeMac307
2012-07-03, 06:31 AM
I always thought that the arrow (or other ranged weapon) curves towards the wielder of the shield, but it doesn't automatically hit the shield itself. I thought there was a chance that the arrow actually hits the wielder of the shield. Basically, the arrow curves its path enough to not hit anyone else, but it may not curve enough to hit the shield. It may sail right past the shield and hit the wielder of the shield. This is resolved with an attack roll as normal agianst the wielder's AC (including +1 bonus against ranged weapons).

Is that correct? That is how I interpretted it.

Killer Angel
2012-07-03, 06:35 AM
Is that correct?

Pretty much.
The property can put the shield's wielder in greater risk of being hit by arrows (attracting weapons aimed to different targets) and mitigate such risk with the +1 bonus.