PDA

View Full Version : Help with somatics!

Kapelteta
2012-07-03, 07:23 AM
So my character (a 8th level wizard/war-weaver) fell in a pit of lava and died last session, and my group convinced me it would be funny to roll on the 3.0 list for reincarnate. I came back as a bear, and my DM has ruled that I can still use verbal, and focus (if they are on me) to cast, but I need a way to deal with the somatic components.

Any Ideas?

P.S. - I plan on taking eschew materials at 9th level to get rid of that problem.

marcielle
2012-07-03, 07:32 AM
Find a grafter. If they can graft you the lungs off a water elemental, human hands oughta be no problem. Or raccoon hands. They are pretty close.

JeminiZero
2012-07-03, 07:34 AM
A skeleton hand graft might be able to pull off your somatic components. Its from Libris Mortis and costs 3k gp.

Ernir
2012-07-03, 07:37 AM
... ask for Natural Spell to work or something.

Gloves of Man (Savage Species page 57) can fix it, but they are really expensive. And you need to learn to walk on your hind legs in combat.

Psyren
2012-07-03, 07:52 AM
1) Retrain your feats
2) Still Spell + Easy Metamagic

Ernir
2012-07-03, 07:58 AM
1) Retrain your feats
2) Still Spell + Easy Metamagic

Easy Metamagic can't reduce below +1, unfortunately. =/

Namfuak
2012-07-03, 08:16 AM
Depending on class, you could always polymorph yourself back into a human (or whatever race you were before).

Psyren
2012-07-03, 08:20 AM
Easy Metamagic can't reduce below +1, unfortunately. =/

My bad, don't have dragmags in front of me so I was going off the short text. I think two feats is a decent price to be able to do this though, so I would ask the DM for an exception.

You can fluff the retrain as your mind reacting to the trauma of being bear.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-03, 08:34 AM
P.S. - I plan on taking eschew materials at 9th level to get rid of that problem.

Eschew materials won't do anything to help with somatic components.

You might ask your DM if maybe, after a few fights, your wizard would be able to start getting used to his new body, and slowly be able to cast spells with somatic components again. Start with a failure rate for spells with somatic components, and have it decrease until eventually it's negligible or non-existent.

Tim Proctor
2012-07-03, 09:45 AM
Yup Polymorph Other (3.0 spell Tome and Blood), a level 4 spell so it cost 7x40gp to cast by a hireling. 280g and you're a freaking War Troll which will help your defense a lot.

eggs
2012-07-03, 12:48 PM
Surrogate Spellcasting from Savage Species won't remove the components, but it will let a bear substitute the grunts and gestures that it can make.