PDA

View Full Version : PF - Mithril is complicated

Ryulin18
2012-07-03, 10:42 AM
My Ranger switch hitter has enough money to take his pick of weapons. Going with the route of weapon finnesse on an agile two handed weapon, meaning Dex x2 to damage with dex to attack. I've decided to go with a glaive which weighs 10lbs

Mithril says that it 1/2's the weight. So That's 5lbs. Mithril's cost is 500gp/lb of the weapon

So mathing it up. (500gp x 5lbs = 2500gp) + +1 modifier (2000gp) + masterwork (300gp) + weapon cost (8gp) = 4808gp?

4808gp for dex to attack and damage at 10ft range, is that worth it?

Ryulin18
2012-07-03, 11:12 AM
Does mithril make a weapon part of the light category?

maximus25
2012-07-03, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't a glaive have just the actual weapon part mithral, not the part you grip?

So, that would be what, 2 pounds instead of 5? I'd ask your DM about it, for sure. Because it's like a spear, the actual gripping part is wood or something, and the head is metallic.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-03, 11:20 AM
Yes, yes I am complicated.

Wagadodo
2012-07-03, 11:23 AM
The only two advantage you get from Making a weapon Mithral those are the lighter weight and being considered silver.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/equipment.html#_mithral

The only two handed weapon that I know that you can apply weapon finense to is the Elven Curve Blade. So if you are looking to go with Weapon Finense, Power Attack, and the Dex to damage that is what you would want to go with.

Ryulin18
2012-07-03, 11:44 AM
Mithril Agile Elven Curve Blade...falls off the tongue

doko239
2012-07-03, 12:15 PM
Two things:

1. Mithral cost is based on the weight of the original item, not the modified weight, and Masterwork is included in the price. Therefore, it would be 5008 gp for the base weapon.

2. Agile enchantment, iirc, can only be applied to a light or one-handed weapon, so Curve Blade, Glaive etc. doesn't work.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-07-03, 01:32 PM
Agile can be applied to any weapon that can be used with weapon finesse, and you must have weapon finesse as a feat for the enchantment to work. Thus, no glaives, but Elven Curve Blades are viable.

Secondly, the damage provided by the Agile enchantment specifically mentions that there is no bonus for wielding a weapon in two hands: You would not get the 1.5 damage multiplier that an equivalent STR based character would get.

Third, since a glaive is NOT primarily metal, it would have no mechanical benefit to the weight. The only mithril bit is the foot long blade on the end, the other 8 feet or whatever of wood would still be wood. This is merely a technicality, of course, RAW.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-03, 01:50 PM
So Mithril + Darkwood?

Are there other any 'half the weight of wood' woods in PF that are better than Darkwood? Ironwooded Darkwood?