PDA

View Full Version : Bored of some campaigns.

Rallicus
2012-07-03, 10:56 AM
Hey guys. I've come across a bit of a problem, and I'd like some advice as to how to remedy it.

I'm currently involved in three campaigns: two D&D 3.5 homebrews, one of which I DM, and a CP2020 game.

The latter I'm very invested in. I actually look forward to meeting with those guys when we run a session.

However, the D&D games are beginning to wear on me. The one I'm a player in isn't so much a problem, as I tend to just trudge along with the group and I can be involved without paying much attention. I can play this off because my character is a drunken, lazy bum.

The game I'm DMing is a different story. When I first started it I was very invested. I'd spend an hour or more just planning for that week's session. As time has gone on, though, my interest has waned. I don't even plan anymore. I show up on game day and throw some appropriate CR encounters down, do some roleplaying, and that's it. Half the time I don't even really pay attention.

I've also grown incredibly weary of some people in the group. One constantly throws rules at me and other players. One is AFK for 75% of the campaign, it seems (it's a VTT-based game, done online). One seems to like to pick fights about IC issues.

When game day comes around, I actually dread it. The players seem to like my campaign, though. They usually always show up on time, if not early, to ready themselves for the adventure. I wouldn't feel bad about abandoning this campaign if the players weren't as involved or interested. I sort of feel obligated to continue campaigns for them.

I've tried taking breaks. I've tried reading supplements for new ideas. I've tried being a more strict DM. Nothing seems to work.

So... any advice?

TLDR version - Lost interest in campaign, DMing is now like a chore, don't want to give up because players seem fairly invested in it. What should I do?

Tim Proctor
2012-07-03, 11:07 AM
Cancel it, if you aren't having fun cancel it. It'll start wearing on your players and become noticeable that nothing is happening.

If you absolutely don't want to cancel it, then go into full fun mode. If you don't want to invest the time needed to get some end game storyline stuff going on then find a premade encounter chain and run them through that, but I guarantee the random encounters will become boring after a bit.

Frenth Alunril
2012-07-03, 11:20 AM
There are a few tricks I try. One is to know what they want, it's a good place to find motivation. Another is to try to slip things past them. Finally the one I like best is to come back into the game with a vengeance. Your distracted player won't be too distracted when they start to lose things. The more you get them concerned, the more you should get out of it.

My advice, ask them if you can take the gloves off, and throw them into the mix. See what you can make of it.

If that doesn't make it work for you, ask them to retire until you get the spark, have someone take over their game, port the characters I've to another GM and take done time off.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-07-03, 12:23 PM
Tell your players the truth. Ask them if someone wants to step up and take over for a while, and if not if they'd mind taking a break and doing something else for a while, but playing or DM'ing when you're bored out of your mind sucks.