PDA

View Full Version : Models, models...

Tyndmyr
2012-07-03, 12:58 PM
I would like suggestions for models that don't exist for D&D(or other games) yet, but that really, really should. They'll likely take me a while to complete, but assume that basically anything allowed by real world physics is now possible for me. =)

Suggestions I've gotten so far that I love:

Permanent teleport circle model.
Orb in demon's mouth.
Immovable rod(on clear plastic, so it's hovering midair)

Add more iconic things that need to exist!

jackattack
2012-07-03, 04:51 PM
If these already exist, I apologize, but I'd love to see links for them...

Mechanical trap effects, like blades coming out of the floor or walls, spiked walls, a "swinging" pendulum blade (perhaps also suspended in clear plastic), and so on.

newBlazingAngel
2012-07-03, 05:58 PM
Something similar to a lego accessory where miniatures have a place to clip miniature to represent effects. Just put a gigantic D onto the dominated wizard and you don't have to worry about forgetting. Something along those lines would be cool.

Knaight
2012-07-03, 06:38 PM
There seem to be a dearth of corpses. As such, the following models would be useful:

Funeral pyre
Pile of corpses
Pile of skulls
Individual corpse
Head on a spike

There also seems to be a dearth of mundane objects.

Cooking spit
Pots, pans, baskets, jugs, so on and so forth.
Fancy boxes of various shapes
Brazier
Fire pit
Weapon racks (medieval, modern, etc.)

Magical effects are also lacking.

Tenser's floating disk.
Floating animated weapons.
Glowing portals

Enjoy your 3d printer access, or your 3d printer.

Zorg
2012-07-04, 02:24 PM
Companies like Ral Partha, RAFM, Armorcast, Zuzzy, Thormallion (http://www.thomarillion.de/index.php?seite=home&sprache=gb_&PHPSESSID=4vmf676nvpc7dc3lv7ifr8vf01) and many others make dungeon/fantasy interior accessories. There are even more companies out there, but I don't have links handy - check out sites like Table Top Fix (http://ttfix.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Terrain) and Miniature Reviews for sources on suppliers. This sort of stuff used to be super common in the late 80s/early 90s, but has fallen by the wayside somewhat.
Looking outside fantasy suppliers and into historicals such as Gripping Beast is also a good source for interior detailing.

For effects Litko make custom markers and have something similar where it's a clip on torch holder for standard round bases - they also do custom work.

Portals are easy to make - get a slice of crystal from your local hippy shop and mount vertically. Job's a good 'un.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-05, 07:23 AM

3d printer, and thanks!

Many good suggestions, all...one of my RL friends also suggested an evil altar, as being a common set-piece in dungeons, but not a very common miniature.

Something similar to a lego accessory where miniatures have a place to clip miniature to represent effects. Just put a gigantic D onto the dominated wizard and you don't have to worry about forgetting. Something along those lines would be cool.

I was considering doing this by having a round base, and just slapping nested, colored rings around it in sort of a snap/fit system. Could print/sharpie the name of the effect on the ring, I suppose.

valadil
2012-07-05, 07:36 AM
I haven't had any suggestions good enough to post (I keep getting stuck think too big - whole landscapes instead of individual set pieces) but I hope you'll post some of your creations when they're finished.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-05, 07:40 AM
I haven't had any suggestions good enough to post (I keep getting stuck think too big - whole landscapes instead of individual set pieces) but I hope you'll post some of your creations when they're finished.

I certainly plan to...if any of them turn out well enough, I'll probably toss 'em on shapeways, so anyone can get access to 'em.

Some people def do big models, and focus on landscapes and the like...this works pretty well for large scale games, like warhammer(and indeed, I have a goodly amount of that), but for D&D...you tend to use a lot of similar, but not identical terrain, so a bunch of modular wall/floor bits are more useful than a fixed room.

Oh, that just made me think...torches. Torch-holder and torch is something in a million dungeons, but never as a model.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-14, 10:16 AM
There seem to be a dearth of corpses. As such, the following models would be useful:

Funeral pyre
Pile of corpses
Pile of skulls
Individual corpse
Head on a spike

There also seems to be a dearth of mundane objects.

Cooking spit
Pots, pans, baskets, jugs, so on and so forth.
Fancy boxes of various shapes
Brazier
Fire pit
Weapon racks (medieval, modern, etc.)

Magical effects are also lacking.

Tenser's floating disk.
Floating animated weapons.
Glowing portals

Looks like I made the six week time frame for posting...I've managed to entirely get back my old modeling skill. Sucked a lot at first, but when I popped out four solid models in an hour the other night, I was certain it was back.

100% completed, printable D&D models so far:
Crates and things.
Bottle.
Beer Stein
lemon/lime model.
Modular shelving units(with a wall hanging system I'll be re-using for other things).
Goblet

Val, feel free to post ideas for large scale stuff as well...it leads to interesting ideas for the individual bits.

My printer is arriving today, so post-gencon, I'll be posting some model to printed object to painted object photos. If I get creative, I'll do it time-lapse style, but no guarantees on that.