PDA

View Full Version : Blackguard with Familiar? Yes, please!

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-07-04, 01:27 AM
I'm creating a highly-religious Blackgaurd Dragonborn Paladin. I'm starting at level 3, and will be taking the Muliticlass feat as an Artificer, the Master Mixer feat (Allows me to make alchemical items 3 levels above my current level), and the feat for a Familiar. I will be maxing my Strength and Charisma to 20 by level 4 (By starting them at 17, boosting by two via the Dragonborn's Ability Score mods, and boosting them to 20 when I gain a level.).

I'm also considering taking the Ravenkin, Familiar Bloodsmith, or Familiar Keeper Paragon Path.

With all of this being said, I want the best familiar I can get. I don't mind waiting until I'm at a higher level to have one, but I really think it would fit well with this character's personality. However, I also want something that'll be very useful for combat, and not just the roleplay aspect. I don't mind taking different feats at different times.

Here's the question - what familiar and familiar options do you all recommend for the best build?

Thanks,
Alan

NecroRebel
2012-07-04, 01:43 AM
Peruse the Pet Store familiar optimization handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22001741/The_Pet_Store:_A_Familiar_Keepers_Handbook?pg=1) on the Wizards boards for a deep analysis of all familiars and related options.

More information about what you should go for requires more information about what you want out of the familiar. "Useful for combat" is a fairly vague description; do you want bonuses for yourself, and if so what to, debuffs for enemies, something that can actually fight on its own? (That last is probably impossible). Regardless, the handbook linked should show you the way.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-07-04, 02:04 AM
I've actually looked at said guide. My problem is that I honestly don't know what will be truly beneficial to a Blackgaurd. :/

Kurald Galain
2012-07-04, 02:35 AM
Get a disembodied hand, so you can draw utility items as a free action (such as the alchemical items you'll assumedly be crafting).

Although I should point out that almost all alchemical items printed are going to be less effective than your class abilities.

Surrealistik
2012-07-04, 10:10 AM
Disembodied Hand is be(a)st.

I've multiclassed to something arcane just to get it.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-07-05, 01:09 PM
Actually, I won't be having those two 19s. I talked to my DM. Though it's true that he allowed me to build a character in another campaign where I could drop some attributes below 10 in order to get two attributes to 17, but it's not allowed. Since he's realized that, he won't allow me to build another character the same way.

As far as having an extra feat, I'm already calculating for the next level.

Anyway, I FINALLY found what I'm going to use.

Since I have the vice of fury, I get +2 to my damage rolls against those who grant combat advantage to me. If I'm bloodied or next to someone bloodied, that doubles to +4.

So, I'll train in Arcana, which gives me access to the "Born of the Elements" feat in HotEC, which in turn gives me access to "Elemental Companion." I've chosen to have my Elemental Companion as the Chaos Phage, which lets an enemy grant combat advantage to me while bloodied if he's adjacent to it when it happens. Better yet, it's save ends. :D

NEW QUESTIONS:

What feats should I look into for level 4? I'm no longer interesting in multiclassing to Artificer - all the benefits that would've been with a familiar are now moot point. I think more bonuses for being bloodied or having combat advantage would be awesome, considering I'm already relying on those two scenarios. However, I'm also considering taking lots of feats (eventually) and magic items (also eventually) that'll give me bonuses to my critical hits. It would be nice to score a critical hit and do a crapload of damage!

How should I pick my attribute array? Since I can't legally have two 20's at level four, I need to re-think my strategy. I know for sure I'm going to boost Strength and Charisma quite a bit, but I can't completely overlook the other attributes in case I need something for a feat.

Should I multiclass at level 4, and if so, to what? I am not longer set on the Artificer. What else should I look into? I don't know for sure that multiclassing is going to be most beneficial to me, but is there anything that'll be awesome for a Blackguard (Fury) to have?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the helps! :)

Kurald Galain
2012-07-06, 07:19 AM
Your attribute array: maximize your attack stat (i.e. start with a 19 or 20 at level one). Then put whatever points you have left in your secondary stat, and dump the rest. The 4E mechanics encourage having three dump stats on your character.

For multiclass, you could always consider ranger for a bit more damage once per encounter (or rogue, but you probably aren't using a rogue weapon if you're a blackguard). Generally an MC feat is a decent choice on any character.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-07-06, 01:31 PM
Okay. As far as MC, I've also heard that the Fighter is a really good one for a Blackguard.

I will probably be using a Fullblade, but might use a Gouge. I like the High-Crit property, but the Gouge has some cool features. I don't think either of those are rogue-ish.

However, what do you recommend as far as a Ranger MC?

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-07-06, 02:28 PM
Question - is there a way to make an opponent to radiant damage?