PDA

View Full Version : How would you build the characters of Legacy of Kain? (3.5/PF)

Scarlet-Devil
2012-07-04, 02:45 AM
Namely Kain and Raziel, but if you have thoughts on others like Vorador, Moebius, or the Balance Guardians, then please share them.

The standard Vampire template covers Kain's mist form, lupine form, and (sort've) bat form (but to be much more accurate, swarm shifter could be applied), and his human disguises are pretty accurately modeled by Disguise Self or a similar spell. I'm having a hard time remembering his strength-related feats, aside from pushing around large boulders in Blood Omen and jumping huge distances in Defiance, so I'll just assume that the bonus from the template is sufficient, assuming he was pretty strong in life.

I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Kain was a (low-level) human fighter (or something very similar; maybe warblade) before he was murdered and brought back as a vamp. He wore something along the lines of full plate and fought with a longsword; as a vampire he acquired other weapons- a spiked mace, a pair of axes, a flaming longsword, and a greatsword. Sounds basically straight fighter so far, except that over the course of his journey he acquires a pretty large number of spells (and magic items): light, energy bolt, two forms of mind control (one that only effects humans, and another that effects everything, including undead), repel (which basically completely protects him from ranged attacks, including magic), and various gruesome offensive spells.

He can also drain blood telekinetically, and, at least by Defiance, can use offensive telekinesis. So what is he? A (human) vampire fighter/sorcerer gish of some sort?

As far as Raziel, the first thing that comes to mind is Soul Eater from BoVD, which kind've makes sense if we assume that he's evil, except that soul eaters have to be living...

Soulknife seems kind've appropriate too, and he needs the ability to use offensive telekinesis.

That's all I've got at the moment, how 'bout you?

Bonus question: Is a swarm-shifter vampire in leech form still affected by running water?

JeminiZero
2012-07-04, 10:26 AM
Bonus question: Is a swarm-shifter vampire in leech form still affected by running water?

I believe the answer to this is yes. Note the text (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) of vampires states that: "If the base creature has a swim speed, the vampire retains the ability to swim and is not vulnerable to immersion in running water"

But running water affects vampires in 2 ways. Besides detruction by immersion, a Vampire is also unable to cross running water by his own power, even if he can fly (although he can still be carried across in his coffin). This is in ALWAYS effect regardless of whether the creature has swim speed. Hence a swarm-shifter is still affected by running water in that sense.

Scarlet-Devil
2012-07-04, 10:31 AM
I believe the answer to this is yes. Note the text (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm) of vampires states that: "If the base creature has a swim speed, the vampire retains the ability to swim and is not vulnerable to immersion in running water"

But running water affects vampires in 2 ways. Besides detruction by immersion, a Vampire is also unable to cross running water by his own power, even if he can fly (although he can still be carried across in his coffin). This is in ALWAYS effect regardless of whether the creature has swim speed. Hence a swarm-shifter is still affected by running water in that sense.

Right, and it says "base" creature, but swarm-shifter is an acquired template that you can only get after becoming a vampire. Thanks, I guess that settles it.