PDA

View Full Version : Reptilian Lycanthropes

Joe Eskimo
2012-07-04, 05:33 AM
Are there any other published reptilian lycanthropes out there aside from the Werecrocodile (Lost Empires of Faerun & Sandstorm) and Wereserpent (Serpent Kingdoms)? I also find it odd that the Werecrocodile doesn't have claw attacks.

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-04, 06:12 AM
I also find it odd that the Werecrocodile doesn't have claw attacks.

Have you ever seen a crocodile that attacked with its claws? :smallconfused:

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-04, 07:31 AM
If you're asking for specific examples of reptilian lycanthropes, I can't help there, but nothing prevents you from being one with just the normal lycanthrope template.

strider24seven
2012-07-04, 07:54 AM
Were-Sewerm (SK)
That is all.

Edit: Also Were-Fleshraker.

Joe Eskimo
2012-07-04, 08:28 AM
Have you ever seen a crocodile that attacked with its claws? :smallconfused:

Well no, but the wereserpent has claw attacks even though snakes dont have any limbs. Which makes it odd since a croc has actual claws but a werecrocodile doesn't have any claw attacks.:smallbiggrin:

Joe Eskimo
2012-07-04, 08:30 AM
Were-Sewerm (SK)
That is all.

Edit: Also Were-Fleshraker.

Where can I find the were-fleshraker? That sounds interesting.

strider24seven
2012-07-04, 08:42 AM
Where can I find the were-fleshraker? That sounds interesting.

Monster Manual III, page 40.

WARNING: These creatures are rather powerful for their CR and are available as mounts (sort of), animal companions, and Wild Shape forms. Advanced Warbeast Magebred Fleshrakers may get you a slap upside the head with a DMG.

Raimun
2012-07-04, 09:17 AM
... Why isn't there any weredinosaurs?

Why isn't there any weredinosaurs? That is the most pressing question of our time!

strider24seven
2012-07-04, 09:19 AM

Why isn't there any weredinosaurs? That is the most pressing question of our time!

Raptor Jesus is a Were-Fleshraker stuck in hybrid form.

Zale
2012-07-04, 09:19 AM
There can only be so much awesome in one multiverse.

Weredinosaurs would have pushed things a bit over the limit.

strider24seven
2012-07-04, 09:23 AM
There can only be so much awesome in one multiverse.

Weredinosaurs would have pushed things a bit over the limit.

Is that why you don't find many Ninja with Dread Pirate levels?

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-04, 09:52 AM

1. Make a lycanthrope.
2. Use a dinosaur as the base animal.
3. Weredinosaurs!

Raimun
2012-07-04, 12:20 PM
1. Make a lycanthrope.
2. Use a dinosaur as the base animal.
3. Weredinosaurs!

Hey, you're right. Dinosaurs are Animals, therefore...

All hail Weredinosaurs!

eggs
2012-07-04, 12:39 PM
I'm surprised that there are any Were-animals published outside the MM. Sound like page-filler.

But a Kobold tribe plagued by Were-Compsognathuses is totally going to be part of a plot-hook in the not-too-distant future :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-04, 04:26 PM
Giant Crocodile Half-Green Dragon Were-Tyrannosaurus :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-04, 04:30 PM
Look, if you want help making were-animals...Read this. It contains dinosaurs, birds, swarms, etc.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4398

mamothpriest
2012-07-04, 06:22 PM
Giant Crocodile Half-Green Dragon Were-Tyrannosaurus :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

as awesome as that would be... it just cannot be :frown: Lycanthrope can only be applied to things with the humanoid or giant types

Worlok
2012-07-04, 06:31 PM
as awesome as that would be... it just cannot be :frown: Lycanthrope can only be applied to things with the humanoid or giant types
My friend, do not despair! Is not the very point of this here game of ours to create, to live and play the life of high adventure and forevermore to strive towards an awesomeness most shiny and profound? Do you not have the blood of the tool-user, of the group hunter, of the long-distance runner coursing, pushing, ROARING through your veins? Is not the petty wording of the law a mere suggestion to your spirit and your mighty soul? I say, if you feel such ideals call to you, if there is such a wonderful desire in your heart, then do away with type restrictions, were away the boundaries that contain your destiny, and free the template from the bonds in which it is contained! THEY. ARE. NO. BOUNDS. TO YOU! :smallfurious: I mean, really, you can make ogre-based were-guinea pigs, and so you can make T-Rex-Crocodiles! All that it takes is just a simple homebrew note. :smallwink:

Morph Bark
2012-07-04, 06:53 PM
You mean none of you have ever before used were-battletitans? That's one of my go-to minions!

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-04, 07:06 PM

Sorry, I meant Half-Troll Green Dragon Were-Giant Crocodile (Half-Troll makes the Green Dragon into a Giant type creature).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-04, 07:18 PM
1. Go here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm), scroll down to the "Creating A Lycanthrope" section near the bottom.
2. Pick a base humanoid or giant. Pick an animal. Make a lycanthrope.
3. "A lycanthrope in hybrid form gains two claw attacks and a bite attack as natural weapons." Every Lycanthrope in hybrid form, regardless of what type of creature is was, gets two claws and a bite.

My personal favorite is a Whisper Gnome (RoS) plus a Serval from Sandstorm. Note that the Serval has Weapon Finesse with a +0 BAB, which per the Monster Manual Errata should be converted to a racial bonus feat and their 1st level feat should be something like Alertness or Stealthy.

Urpriest
2012-07-04, 08:19 PM
I'm surprised that there are any Were-animals published outside the MM. Sound like page-filler.

But a Kobold tribe plagued by Were-Compsognathuses is totally going to be part of a plot-hook in the not-too-distant future :smalltongue:

In 3.0, Lycanthropes could only be a small range of things, and each had different abilities. So 3.0 books added more options, before 3.5 gave the general formula.

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-05, 12:07 AM
In 3.0, Lycanthropes could only be a small range of things, and each had different abilities. So 3.0 books added more options, before 3.5 gave the general formula.

This is incorrect. The original 3E Monster Manual describes the process of creating a lycanthrope character on pages 217-218. Although the process was not as streamlined as the 3.5 version, it was still a template that could be applied using any appropriate animal. I.e. "some type of carnivorous animal... between the size of a small dog and a large bear."

Urpriest
2012-07-05, 07:49 AM
This is incorrect. The original 3E Monster Manual describes the process of creating a lycanthrope character on pages 217-218. Although the process was not as streamlined as the 3.5 version, it was still a template that could be applied using any appropriate animal. I.e. "some type of carnivorous animal... between the size of a small dog and a large bear."

True, but the traits of hybrid forms (and which lycanthropes got them) weren't standardized, which is why crocodiles didn't get claw attacks.

Hanuman
2012-07-05, 08:39 AM
Wer means man.

kpenguin
2012-07-05, 05:21 PM

I don't suppose you've met our dear friend Meepo (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060120a), a mighty kobold sorcerer who is also a werefleshraker.

Wer means man.

Indeed so! I believe our faithful OP is looking for men, or more generally humanoids, who turn into reptiles, thus werereptiles.

Zombulian
2012-07-05, 07:49 PM
Then I do believe Saurian Shifters from Dragon Mag #328 need a mention. They aren't specifically lycanthropes, but they are descended from them! Also go into Weretouched Master and pick abilities that you think could help you imitate that certain Dino!

animewatcha
2012-07-05, 08:39 PM
Apply the gigantic or titanic or whatever it was template, and find a way to turn it into a construct. Now you too can experience what it is like to be a Power Ranger. Then somehow make a PC riding the mech a 'psionic' ranger.

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-05, 09:45 PM
Wer means man.

Yeah, and lycan means wolf. What's your point?

Joe Eskimo
2012-07-06, 12:52 AM
True, but the traits of hybrid forms (and which lycanthropes got them) weren't standardized, which is why crocodiles didn't get claw attacks.

Well that clarifies things.

Joe Eskimo
2012-07-06, 01:01 AM
I don't suppose you've met our dear friend Meepo (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060120a), a mighty kobold sorcerer who is also a werefleshraker.

Thanks for the Meepo link. Didn't notice Meepo was a werefleshraker.
Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread.:smallsmile:

Thurbane
2012-07-06, 03:49 AM
I now have a burning desire to use a Were-Fleshraker Poison Dusk Lizardfolk as a bad guy in my next campaign, just for the sheer amount of cool. Throw in some Draconic heritage feats for extra fun. I'm so going to stat this guy out now... :smallsmile:

Eldan
2012-07-06, 04:26 AM
Yeah, and lycan means wolf. What's your point?

Not quite. The "an" in "lycanthrope" is from the "anthropos" part, meaning "man". "Lykos" is "wolf".

That was my nitpick post for the day. Enjoy.

kpenguin
2012-07-06, 04:29 AM
Not quite. The "an" in "lycanthrope" is from the "anthropos" part, meaning "man". "Lykos" is "wolf".

I will now follow all your posts for the rest of the day to make sure you don't go beyond this one nitpick post.

There is no stalking, citizens. Return to your fun.

KillianHawkeye
2012-07-06, 07:16 AM

You are correct, sir, however my official response must be: "Bah, close enough! I blame Underworld!" :smallamused:

Unusual Muse
2012-07-06, 12:10 PM
I mean, really, you can make ogre-based were-guinea pigs...

I am so stealing that. :smallsmile:

Unusual Muse
2012-07-06, 12:15 PM
I now have a burning desire to use a Were-Fleshraker Poison Dusk Lizardfolk as a bad guy in my next campaign, just for the sheer amount of cool. Throw in some Draconic heritage feats for extra fun. I'm so going to stat this guy out now... :smallsmile:

Please post when you're done!

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-07-06, 12:22 PM
My group has joked once or twice about abusing the rules to have the party encounter a half-black-dragon white dragon were-red-dragon as the true correct answer to "What's black and white and red all over?"