PDA

View Full Version : Orbs of Dragonkind and the Zodiac Stones

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-04, 08:43 AM
As some of you may already know, I recently got Final Fantasy Tactic: War of the Lions and I'm having a blast playing it.
I run a Pathfinder game (with heavy 3.5 elements) in a homebrewed setting and wanted to add something similar to the Zodiac Stones for a spin. Mostly as a secondary antagonist, also to help explain how the villain manages to pull his plan together.

For those unfamiliar with them, the zodiac stones allow the wielder to channel their power into specific devices. You can also be transformed into a demon by using it. My guess of D&D item most similar to it was the set of artifacts - the Orbs of Dragonkind.

So what I'll have here is a group of artificers trying to get a hold of the Orbs to fuel other stuff. I'm thinking about using the standard powers and also allowing the user to become the dragon trapped within if he is killed while in possession of the stone. Sounds interesting? Am I stealing too much from FFT? Any suggestions regarding the story or the rules?

ArcGygas
2012-07-04, 12:02 PM
First and foremost, FFT: War of the Lions is one of my favorite games of all time.

Secondly; Is there a plan that these Artificers are trying to complete? Are they using lost technology to take control of Ivalice the country? Or is there a more sinister plot being led by the Lucavi Dragons that the Artificers aren't aware of?

What's their goal? What's the end game? What major plot point do the Orbs of Dragonkind fulfill?

zorenathres
2012-07-04, 01:53 PM
the dragon thing, IMO, is not as cool as the demons/ lucavi inhabiting the stones, but anyway...

the only reason i say that is cause in FFT the stones were basically (IMO) cursed items, which the party refused to use for fear of potentially unleashing a demon into the world. they possess immense power but they should surely come with a price.

as for your artificers, how about they discover an ancient portal device & they plan on activating it with the stones (likely, they are unaware of where the portal leads, but their curiosity has gotten the best of them). potentially unleashing demons or worse unto the earth.

Mjollnir075
2012-07-04, 02:26 PM
For a little added depth, you could have some of the Artificers aiding in collecting the stones but doing it for what they believe to be noble purposes.

If these stones are mysterious, maybe they think that they can use them to bring fortune and prosperity to their lands, and they believe the PCs are evil/rivals.

Also, I second the thought that demons are cooler than dragons.

p.s.

Make sure to add a Warforged (Juggernaut?) and a spiky-haired youth who wields an oversized weapon (compensating, are we?)

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-04, 04:33 PM
First and foremost, FFT: War of the Lions is one of my favorite games of all time.

Secondly; Is there a plan that these Artificers are trying to complete? Are they using lost technology to take control of Ivalice the country? Or is there a more sinister plot being led by the Lucavi Dragons that the Artificers aren't aware of?

What's their goal? What's the end game? What major plot point do the Orbs of Dragonkind fulfill?

Basically, they want artifacts to harness their power into creating more artifacts. That's the only source of new artifacts in this setting (because the standard method of creating them is long lost).
The Orbs are mostly kept by the elves (they are kind of dragonworshippers in this setting), some are missing. These guys would be trying to get them really fast.
The true big bad would maneuver them into creating chaos so that he could complete his plan (expanding his empire, a magitech dystopia) even further.

For a little added depth, you could have some of the Artificers aiding in collecting the stones but doing it for what they believe to be noble purposes.

If these stones are mysterious, maybe they think that they can use them to bring fortune and prosperity to their lands, and they believe the PCs are evil/rivals.

Also, I second the thought that demons are cooler than dragons.

p.s.

Make sure to add a Warforged (Juggernaut?) and a spiky-haired youth who wields an oversized weapon (compensating, are we?)
Yeah, I'll definitely add some anti-villains there. Their goal is creating artifacts, but each one of them is going to have different idea on which artifacts to create.

the dragon thing, IMO, is not as cool as the demons/ lucavi inhabiting the stones, but anyway...
Well, I'm not trying to top FFT, because I think that's impossible. :smallbiggrin:

the only reason i say that is cause in FFT the stones were basically (IMO) cursed items, which the party refused to use for fear of potentially unleashing a demon into the world. they possess immense power but they should surely come with a price.

Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. They can be 'possessed' by the dragon inside the orb which might be good or bad.