PDA

View Full Version : Is there a viable pure SLA, SU, Ex build

Invader
2012-07-04, 12:47 PM
What I'd like to do is find a build that relies primarily on whatever SLA's Ex, and SU abilities. it gains from its class levels. All classes are allowed but our DM said he wants us to stick to the core races with no templates which is what makes this build so much harder.

Also we're starting at level 1 so it has to be somewhat viable at every level for playing purposes.

Anyone have any ideas?

VGLordR2
2012-07-04, 12:53 PM
Dragonfire Adept or Warlock? Invocations are Spell-Like Abilities.

Invader
2012-07-04, 12:59 PM
Those would work but I was thinking more a long the lines of getting as many SLA's Ex, and SU's as you can from all the classes that offer them with. Something like that might be completely undoable though because I don't know enough about what SLA's, Ex, and SU's all the classes offer.

Edit* I added SU and Ex abilities as well. It doesn't have to ve limited to purely SLA's

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-04, 01:04 PM
Level 13+ Shadowcaster with an Int/Cha of 16.

Oh, wait, you wanted viable? I'd have to agree with VGLordV2. DFAs are pretty awesome. Just make sure to nab Entangling Exhalation at first level, and you're good to go.

Zaq
2012-07-04, 01:04 PM
Warlock is probably your best bet. DFAs rely more on (Su) abilities than SLAs (OK, it's just one (Su) ability, but it's a big one . . . I am of course referring to your breath weapon).

If you're willing to head down that path, yes, a Truenamer uses pretty much nothing but SLAs. Whether a Truenamer works at low levels depends pretty much solely on how much your GM is willing to work with you (especially with regard to items, the Paragnostic Assembly, and so on—and, if you're lucky, with retraining utterances).

I think that Warlock or Truenamer are about all you're going to get, unless you want to jump through the semantic headache that is psionics (psionic powers are defined as being Psi-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psiLikeAbilities), so you're working with PLAs even if you're just a Psion, but that's honestly just semantics with no real point).

JeminiZero
2012-07-04, 07:23 PM
Several other classes that have not been mentioned above:
*Any base class from the Tome of Battle (Warblade, Swordsage, Crusader)
*Binder (who mostly uses Su abilities)
*Totemist

Urpriest
2012-07-04, 07:26 PM
If you want to maximize the number of SLA, Su, and Ex abilities you have access to, and maximize the power, I'd go with Binder. They're the only non-caster besides the Artificer to break the Tier 3 barrier, and they can change daily between an extensive list of vestiges that each have two or more Su abilities in general, so you've got a pretty broad list of level-appropriate abilities.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-04, 07:46 PM
Human Dragonfire Adept, Entangling Exhalation and Power Surge (Dragon 313 p57).

Wear the heaviest armor you can afford and carry a tower shield. You'll take the combined armor check penalties to attack rolls, initiative, etc. due to nonproficiency, but it won't affect your breath attack in any way.

Power Surge allows you to either add +1 DC, +1 damage per die, or +50% duration in exchange for having to wait 1 round before using the ability again. Since it changes a 0-round wait to a 1-round wait, you can still use your breath attack every round so there's no drawback. The increased duration will probably be the best choice with Entangling Exhalation, otherwise +1 damage per die is pretty good.

Get all-day buffs for your invocations, and use them all before you put on your armor and pick up your shield. Endure Exposure is good for buffing party members so you won't have to worry about friendly fire from your breath attack, See the Unseen is great, and get Draconic Flight as early as possible.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-04, 07:50 PM
WIldshape Ranger/Planar Shepard and use the SLAs of outsiders?

Invader
2012-07-04, 08:09 PM
I actually started out meaning is there any god combination of classes to take that all give abilities like

Bard 1 - Bardic knowledge
Barbarian 1 - Rage
DFA 1 - Breath weapon/Invocations
Rogue 1 - Sneak attack
Spell thief 1 - steal SLA
Shadowcaster 1 - Dark Vision (special version)

Kind of a jack of all trades master of none kind of build more than just 1 class that has a lot of abilities.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-04, 08:10 PM
Factotum has an ability that lets you grab anyone else's EX abilities up to level 15, but they get it really late. There is also Chameleon.

Urpriest
2012-07-04, 08:13 PM
I actually started out meaning is there any god combination of classes to take that all give abilities like

Barbarian 1 - Rage
Rogue 1 - Sneak attack

Kind of a jack of all trades master of none kind of build more than just 1 class that has a lot of abilities.

That's generally not going to be especially viable. You can build that sort of thing if you focus on Ex abilities that complement combat, but SLAs and Su abilities are generally keyed to a particular level, and aren't that great when you get them too late.

Invader
2012-07-04, 08:25 PM
That's generally not going to be especially viable. You can build that sort of thing if you focus on Ex abilities that complement combat, but SLAs and Su abilities are generally keyed to a particular level, and aren't that great when you get them too late.

This is pretty much what I was figuring but I thought there might be some combination that could fill a niche role well enough.

From the suggestions though I decided to give DFA a shot, I'm just trying to figure out the most optimized build for it since it by itself seems like its not stellar.

I've looked at the DFA handbook but it seems like its pretty general in terms of how to optimize the class the most.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-05, 06:57 AM
What I'd like to do is find a build that relies primarily on whatever SLA's Ex, and SU abilities. it gains from its class levels. All classes are allowed but our DM said he wants us to stick to the core races with no templates which is what makes this build so much harder.

Also we're starting at level 1 so it has to be somewhat viable at every level for playing purposes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Utterances are SLAs. Go Truenamer. Pimp your truenaming check. Enjoy.

Psyren
2012-07-05, 09:47 AM

Barbarian 1 - Rage
Rogue 1 - Sneak attack

Binder can get you almost all of those. No vestiges grant rage specifically but you can easily simulate via either KotSS' Vestige Power or via spells using Karsus. Steal SLA is pretty unique to Spellthieves though IIRC.

Thurbane
2012-07-06, 04:14 AM
Warlock (or DFA)/Binder/Anima Mage (using AM to advance invocations)...you'll need to get 2nd level arcane spells somehow...possibly a 1 level dip in Dread Necro, Warmage or Beguiler, with the Versatile Spellcaster feat.

May not be a mechanically optimised build, but will get a lot of Su and SLA abilities.

Ashtagon
2012-07-06, 05:01 AM
Pretty much everything that isn't a spell is a sla, ex, or su ability.