PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Converting the Totemist to Pathfinder

Psyren
2012-07-04, 12:50 PM
Hopefully this is a quick question. Is there a guide (or even compact list of suggestions) for converting the Totemist to Pathfinder? I'm joining a 3.P game and they'll probably need a tank, but I naturally wanted one that could do more than swing a pointy stick around.

It's in Eberron, so I'm going with a Warforged (any tips to convert that too?) with Adamantine Body as my first feat. I'd be starting at level 4 if that helps. My initial plans are to go through the melds and fix the skills (e.g. replacing Spot and Listen with Perception) but was hoping that a list would keep me from missing anything important.

Mari01
2012-07-04, 12:56 PM
Hopefully this is a quick question. Is there a guide (or even compact list of suggestions) for converting the Totemist to Pathfinder? I'm joining a 3.P game and they'll probably need a tank, but I naturally wanted one that could do more than swing a pointy stick around.

It's in Eberron, so I'm going with a Warforged (any tips to convert that too?) with Adamantine Body as my first feat. I'd be starting at level 4 if that helps. My initial plans are to go through the melds and fix the skills (e.g. replacing Spot and Listen with Perception) but was hoping that a list would keep me from missing anything important.

While I know nothing about a totemist conversion, there has been quite a bit of work for porting over Eberron stuff.

http://pf-eberron.wikidot.com/

Waker
2012-07-04, 02:28 PM
I have nothing better to do at the moment, I'll comb through the Totemist meld list and see what needs to be updated. I'm only listing those that need to be changed due to the skill no longer existing in PF or if something else needs to be tweaked.
Behir Gorget: Your behir gorget gives you a +4 bonus to your CMD against bull rush or trip attempts.
Bloodtalons: Essentia: You gain a +2 bonus on Perception checks per point of essentia you invest in your bloodtalons.
Displacer Mantle: The displacer mantle slightly blurs your outline, providing a +4 competence bonus on Stealth checks.
Essentia: The competence bonus on Stealth checks increases by 2 for every point of essentia invested in this soulmeld.
Girallion Arms: Your girallon arms grant you a +2 competence bonus on Climb checks and to your CMB and CMD for grapple checks.
Essentia: Every point of essentia invested in your girallon
arms increases the bonus on Climb checks and to your CMB and CMD for grapple checks by 2.
Gorgon Mask:While wearing a gorgon mask, you gain a +1 resistance bonus on Fortitude saves and a +2 resistance bonus to your CMD against being bull rushed, tripped, overrun, or trampled.
Great Raptor Mask: You gain a +2 competence bonus on Perception checks.
Hunter's Circlet: The Crown Chakra bind normally give you Track, but as that is no longer a feat, perhaps giving it the Ranger Track ability to add half your character level to Survival checks.
Kraken Mantle: You gain a bonus to CMB and CMD on grapple checks equal to the number of points of essentia you invest in your kraken mantle.
Krenshar Mask: While wearing your krenshar mask, you gain a +4 competence bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks.
Essentia: Every point of essentia you invest in your krenshar mask increases your competence bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks by 2.
Kruthik Claws: With kruthik claws shaped, you gain a +4 competence bonus on Stealth checks.
Essentia: For every point of essentia you invest in your
kruthik claws, your competence bonus on Stealth checks increases by 2.
Lamia Belt: While you wear your lamia belt, you gain a +4 competence bonus on Bluff and Stealth checks.
Essentia: For every point of essentia you invest in your lamia belt, your competence bonus on Bluff and Stealth checks increases by 2.
Landshark Boots: While wearing the landshark boots, you gain a +4 competence bonus on Acrobatics checks.
Essentia: Every point of essentia you invest in the landshark boots increases the competence bonus on Acrobatics checks by 2.
If, as part of a move, you achieve a Acrobatics check result good enough to make a 5-foot high jump while within reach of an opponent, you can attack that opponent with all four claws as a standard action.
Manticore Belt: While wearing your manticore belt, you gain a +2 enhancement bonus on Acrobatics and Perception checks.
Essentia: For every point of essentia you invest in your manticore belt, your enhancement bonus on Acrobatics and Perception checks increases by 2.
Pegasus Cloak: You also gain a +2 enhancement
bonus on Acrobatics checks, since the winglike cloak provides a slight boost to your leaps.
Essentia: Your enhancement bonus on Acrobatics checks increases by 2 for every point of essentia you invest in your pegasus cloak.
Shadow Mantle: Channeling the merest suggestion of a darkmantle’s powerful blindsight, you gain a +4 competence bonus on
Perception checks.
Essentia: Every point of essentia you invest in your shadow mantle increases the competence bonus on Perception checks by 2.
You gain a competence bonus on Stealth checks equal to the bonus the soulmeld grants on Perception checks (+4 plus an additional +2 per point of invested essentia).
Sphinx Claws: While wearing sphinx claws, you gain a +1 competence bonus on Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks,
such as Climb and checks made to break down doors or to bull rush an opponent. (Removed Jump, since Acrobatics is Dex based)
Threefold Mask of the Chimera: Essentia: Every point of essentia invested in your threefold mask grants you a +1 competence bonus on Perception checks.
Totem Avatar: You gain stability as if you were a four-legged creature, giving you a +4 bonus to CMD to resist a bull rush,
overrun, or trip attack.
You are also treated as if you were one size category larger than normal when calculating your CMD to resist a bull rush, grapple, overrun, or trip attack (effectively granting you an additional +1 on such checks).
Unicorn Horn: You gain a +2 competence bonus on wild empathy and Stealth checks.
Essentia: Your bonus on wild empathy and Stealth checks increases by 2 for every point of invested essentia.
Urskan Greaves: You can move across ice and through snow at your normal speed, and you gain a +5 bonus on Acrobatics checks made
on ice.
When you use the overrun maneuver on an opponent, the target cannot choose to avoid you. You also gain a +2 bonus on your check to knock down your opponent, with an additional +1 for every point of essentia you invest in your urskan greaves.
Worg Pelt: Your worg pelt grants you a +2 competence bonus on Stealth checks.
Essentia: Every point of essentia that you invest in your worg pelt increases the competence bonus on Stealth checks by 2.
Yrthak Mask: You gain a +4 competence bonus on Perception checks.
Essentia: Every point of essentia that you invest in your yrthak mask increases the competence bonus on Perception checks by 2.
This bit also requires some tweaking You take a –4 penalty on Spot checks. To your benefit, you gain a +4 bonus on saving throws against gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that
rely on sight

I think that is everything that needs adjusting. Someone else can go back and double check.

Psyren
2012-07-04, 04:48 PM
Thank you both! I especially liked the PF Eberron conversion link, I'll be digging through that.

Essence_of_War
2012-07-05, 09:28 AM
Make sure you pick up heavy armor proficiency somehow!

Totemists only get light (I think!) and your Adamantine Body plating counts as heavy :smallsmile:

Waker
2012-07-05, 09:37 AM
Make sure you pick up heavy armor proficiency somehow!

Totemists only get light (I think!) and your Adamantine Body plating counts as heavy :smallsmile:

I may be wrong, but I don't think that is true. Every mention that I've read in reference to the composite plating simply refers to it as "similar to" or "treated as" when comparing it to armor. It never explicitly says that you need proficiency with your composite plating.
And you are correct that Totemists are only proficient with light armor.

Psyren
2012-07-05, 10:02 AM
Huh, I didn't even notice that a Warforged might take nonproficiency penalties with its own plating. Can't really find anything to explicitly prevent that either (the composite plating is treated as light armor in some ways, and that doesn't seem to stop a wizard much, but...)

Anyway, my DM already approved it (he likes the visual) so I won't have to worry about that at least.

Psyren
2012-07-08, 10:39 PM
I don't normally bump threads, but in case anyone was looking for a really helpful PF Incarnum conversion, I found this excellent homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218434) by BelGareth. With any luck, my DM will let me use it - I'll show it to him next week.

Essence_of_War
2012-07-09, 11:40 AM
I may be wrong, but I don't think that is true. Every mention that I've read in reference to the composite plating simply refers to it as "similar to" or "treated as" when comparing it to armor. It never explicitly says that you need proficiency with your composite plating.
And you are correct that Totemists are only proficient with light armor.

So checking the wordings again, this is at the very least ambiguous.

For what it's worth, this was asked/answered in the general 3.5 FAQ on page 6:

Does a warforged with the Adamantine Body feat need
to have Heavy Armor Proficiency in order to avoid
suffering penalties for wearing heavy armor?
No. The Adamantine Body feat resembles heavy armor in
many ways, but it doesn’t require you to have any special
proficiency.

Which opposes my interpretation. I think that the subtley is in not saying "it counts as heavy armor" vs. "considered to be wearing heavy armor". They used the latter wording (I think) to prevent things like evasion, monk wis to ac,the barbarian's speed, etc that only function in lighter armor types from working.