PDA

View Full Version : V's 9th Level Spell / Durkon's 8th...

Gusion
2012-07-04, 03:11 PM
What will V's first 9th level spell be (non-soul spliced)?

Obviously we don't know when it will happen, but presuming he gets there, this thread is to guess at the first spell V actually casts. For the purpose of this thread, scribing a spell counts (re #306).

Any casting counts though - including as a joke. So if V casts Etherealness to just get away... it still counts. Also, if V states that he CAN cast it, than it counts - since it establishes level 17. V just saying it is in his spellbook does not count, however.

Winner gets bragging rights; nothing more.

I'm guessing Time Stop

Kish
2012-07-04, 03:12 PM
Power Word Stun.

In strip #716.

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-04, 03:31 PM
Yeah, you're over a hundred and forty strips late with this question. Though we can speculate on what level 8 spell Durkon will cast first, or what level 9 spell V will cast first, assuming that they ever reach a point in their careers when they can and feel called upon to do so.

Durkon's first 8th might be Holy Aura. I'd say Mass Death Ward would be his first 8th, but that spell is level 7 in OOTS-world. Still, Holy Aura would be in keeping with Durkon's character and self-appointed role, at least more so than, say, Earthquake or Summon Monster VIII.

As for V, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Disjunction has a good chance of being her first 9th. Sure, she likes Power Words, but she's got ways of reliably dealing over 100 damage with a much lower level spell. She's praised Dominate Monster in the past, but, as we have seen with the Purple Worm, can accomplish much the same thing with Charm Monster or, as we've seen with Yukyuk, Dominate Person. Time Stop and Shapechange served Darth V in the dragon fight, but what really would have helped her when fighting Xykon, as pointed out by Ganonron and Jephton, was Disjunction. We know V likes to prepare Greater Dispel Magic, but a spell such as that has only a slim chance of affecting Xykon at all.

Gusion
2012-07-04, 04:03 PM
Blarg. Yes, you're right. Okay, edited for 9th level spell.

Gift Jeraff
2012-07-04, 04:16 PM
I don't think we'll see 9th level spells from V until they start to approach Kraagor's Gate.

Holy Aura seems likely as Durkon's first 8th, but I'm gonna go with Summon Monster VIII and a celestial triceratops, to continue the reptilian theme.

rgrekejin
2012-07-04, 04:21 PM
I'm gonna put my chips down on a longshot here, but how about... "Foresight".

As for Durkon's first 8th... I bet an "Antimagic Field" would really help them out against the Linear Guild in their upcoming ambush. :smallbiggrin:

Gusion
2012-07-04, 04:30 PM
For Durkon's 8th, I am really hoping for Greater Planar Ally

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-04, 04:31 PM
I'm gonna put my chips down on a longshot here, but how about... "Foresight".
Any particular reason why?

As for Durkon's first 8th... I bet an "Antimagic Field" would really help them out against the Linear Guild in their upcoming ambush. :smallbiggrin:
How so? Tarquin doesn't need regeneration to wipe the floor with the OOTS minus V, it's just nice to have. Would antimagic disrupt Malack's control over his mummies?

I really don't think Durkon's gonna go for summoning. He's had the ability to summon monsters and call [lesser] planar allies for some time now, and he's never done it. Durkon's a stable, conservative guy who doesn't really like breaking new ground. What is special about this situation that would prompt him to go against his established behavior up to this point? Why would he begin summoning, a strategy with which he is unfamiliar and unpracticed, instead of buffing, his usual go-to strategy?

Khatoblepas
2012-07-04, 04:37 PM

Well, his Hindsight is already 20/20.

See, because his lack of foresight caused him to sell his soul and perform genocidal acts!

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-04, 04:41 PM
Well, his Hindsight is already 20/20.
Mildly funny, but not really applicable. Foresight wouldn't have helped V in that situation; all it does is tell you when you're in danger of bodily harm and what you should do to avoid or mitigate it.

rgrekejin
2012-07-04, 04:50 PM

Mostly, I picked it because I'd like to see how Rich represents it. It seems to tie in to V's new character growth as a team player. But no, I don't think it's really any more likely than anything else.

How so? Tarquin doesn't need regeneration to wipe the floor with the OOTS minus V, it's just nice to have. Would antimagic disrupt Malack's control over his mummies?

Well, it would suppress Taruin's magic gear. We don't know what sort of boost he's getting from it. Maybe he can beat down the OotS without it, maybe he can't. But it also prevents the physically frail Malack from contributing much to combat. Even if they don't know it's Malack, I think they at least know that the LG has a divine caster with them by now, right? He did cast Flame Strike in plain view. It would also nerf Z pretty effectively, and it might suppress some of Sabine's salient abilities, I'm really not sure how that works. It would negate Nale's spellcasting, and prevent him from using his wand of enervation. Without V in the party, the OotS really doesn't lose much by fighting in a non-magic environment. The Linear Guild would lose a lot. Enough to give the OotS the upper hand? I don't know. But it helps their cause.

Mike Havran
2012-07-04, 06:20 PM
Do V's spells cast while (if that happens) she's posessed by the IFCC count?

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-04, 06:36 PM
Do V's spells cast while (if that happens) she's posessed by the IFCC count?
What do you mean by "possessed"? Some people around here seem to think that the IFCC is going to splice more souls on to V during the time they have alotted, a reading I disagree with for a number of reasons. I think the IFCC can take control of V as she is. If that is the case, then yes, spells that she knows and can cast, but that she first casts under the IFCC's influence, count.

Mike Havran
2012-07-05, 12:50 AM
What do you mean by "possessed"? Some people around here seem to think that the IFCC is going to splice more souls on to V during the time they have alotted, a reading I disagree with for a number of reasons. I think the IFCC can take control of V as she is. If that is the case, then yes, spells that she knows and can cast, but that she first casts under the IFCC's influence, count.

By that I meant I don't know how the possession will look like in the OotS-verse. It can be just some sort of "dominate person" effect with V's eyes changing color according to which archfield possesses her. But it could be more complicated, for example the archfiend could be able to channel his own power through V's mind and body and in that case, it would not be technically V's spell.

dtilque
2012-07-05, 03:53 AM
I really don't think Durkon's gonna go for summoning. He's had the ability to summon monsters and call [lesser] planar allies for some time now, and he's never done it.

He did in that one episode in Dragon Tails. OK, that was non-canon, so perhaps it doesn't count. I thought those summonings were a bit out of character, but that may only be because he'd never done it before.

Lvl45DM!
2012-07-05, 05:37 AM
Meteor Swarm.

Probably against Redcloak

Kareasint
2012-07-05, 05:44 AM
V's 9th: Shapechange - Very powerful spell and V has used lower level spells to change shape before.

Durkon's 8th: I am going to go with Sheild of Law (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shieldOfLaw.htm). This would be in keeping with alignment and his past use of protection type spells. The resistance portion may not help against Redcloak and Xykon but the saves bonuses would. The slow effect would help against lower level undead that will make an appearance during the fight.

Ghosty
2012-07-05, 11:43 AM
V: Wish. Just seems like the sort of thing the new non-Always-Blasting V would use at the time V gets 9th level spells. Disjunction looks snazzy too. I really doubt it'll be an Evocation spell. Meteor Swarm is X's signature spell, and V's seen how the various Hand spells can be countered (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html). (Though wouldn't it be sweet justice to crush Redcloak in a similar way to Thanh (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html)?)

Durkon: I've said before that I think his mentioning the extra diamond dust (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0845.html) might be foreshadowing his using one of the Symbol spells. I like Symbol of Death---ties into his recent friendship/study with a high priest of Death, and allows the Giant to easily remove KilKil or another character if he wants to.

JSSheridan
2012-07-06, 09:35 AM
V: I'm going to bet on a quickened cone of cold.

D: Dimensional lock.

Vovix
2012-07-06, 07:56 PM
Wish. To free himself/herself from the fiend contract.

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-07, 12:30 AM
V: Wish. Just seems like the sort of thing the new non-Always-Blasting V would use at the time V gets 9th level spells. Disjunction looks snazzy too. I really doubt it'll be an Evocation spell. Meteor Swarm is X's signature spell, and V's seen how the various Hand spells can be countered (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html). (Though wouldn't it be sweet justice to crush Redcloak in a similar way to Thanh (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html)?)

Durkon: I've said before that I think his mentioning the extra diamond dust (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0845.html) might be foreshadowing his using one of the Symbol spells. I like Symbol of Death---ties into his recent friendship/study with a high priest of Death, and allows the Giant to easily remove KilKil or another character if he wants to.

V: I'm going to bet on a quickened cone of cold.

D: Dimensional lock.

Wish. To free himself/herself from the fiend contract.
There's a problem with Wish being V's first level 9 spell: it costs 5000 XP. That's not to say that V might not want to cast it eventually, and there are certainly good reasons to try (though I suspect mortal magic like Wish would still have a hard time voiding a faustian pact) but she might not be able to cast it when she first gains level 9 spells.

Felixc-91
2012-07-07, 02:23 AM
V's 9th: Shapechange - Very powerful spell and V has used lower level spells to change shape before.

Durkon's 8th: I am going to go with Sheild of Law (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shieldOfLaw.htm). This would be in keeping with alignment and his past use of protection type spells. The resistance portion may not help against Redcloak and Xykon but the saves bonuses would. The slow effect would help against lower level undead that will make an appearance during the fight.meh, if your going to go protective, go Holy Aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyAura.htm); most of the same effects as sheild of law, but against evil creates not chaotic ones. They know both Redcloak and Xykon are evil, along with most of the Linear Guild.

EatAtEmrakuls
2012-07-07, 05:07 AM
V has Transmutation barred so it can't be Shapeshift.

Aricandor
2012-07-07, 05:53 AM
That's not actually true; in the class geekery thread it's been established by omission that his banned schools are Conjuration (this is why they use a court wizard for teleport; the joke was that teleport was transmutation before the edition shift, and thus V lost the ability to cast it) and Necromancy (never cast one). He also casts Haste (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0684.html) in the desert fighting the bugs, which is Transmutation. :smallsmile:

As for what he'll cast, put me up for Time Stop too and for Durkon's 8th I'll guess Holy Aura.

Sith_Happens
2012-07-07, 06:15 AM
My money's also on Time Stop. Why? Because Delayed Blast Fireball, that's why.:smallamused:

EatAtEmrakuls
2012-07-07, 07:58 AM
That's not actually true; in the class geekery thread it's been established by omission that his banned schools are Conjuration (this is why they use a court wizard for teleport; the joke was that teleport was transmutation before the edition shift, and thus V lost the ability to cast it) and Necromancy (never cast one). He also casts Haste (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0684.html) in the desert fighting the bugs, which is Transmutation. :smallsmile:

As for what he'll cast, put me up for Time Stop too and for Durkon's 8th I'll guess Holy Aura.

Damn, you're right. My mistake.

Kish
2012-07-07, 08:12 AM
He also casts Haste (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0684.html) in the desert fighting the bugs, which is Transmutation. :smallsmile:
And Disintegrate was, for a while, practically his/her signature spell.

kickassfrog
2012-07-07, 12:03 PM
Imprisonment. If not resisted, puts any of the orders foes basically trapped for eternity, as v will be one of the only level 17 wizards in the world.

For Durkon, I've got to go with holy aura. It's profoundly practical.

Vovix
2012-07-07, 02:01 PM

It was confirmed by Rich that Conjuration and Necromancy are V's opposition schools when he said the 3 Soul Splices represented 3 aspects of magic V did not have. Conjuration, Necromancy and spontaneous casting.

Felixc-91
2012-07-08, 02:30 AM
OMG, that would be hilarius. Say V's first 9th level spell is disjunction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm), and (s)he manages to destroy The Crimson Mantle (Red Cloak's cloak) with it... I think i would be laughing for days if that happened.

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-08, 02:52 AM
OMG, that would be hilarius. Say V's first 9th level spell is disjunction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm), and (s)he manages to destroy The Crimson Mantle (Red Cloak's cloak) with it... I think i would be laughing for days if that happened.
...y'know, I think I might join you. If only for the pleasure of seeing V stripped irrevocably of magic.

Mike Havran
2012-07-08, 02:58 AM
For Durkon, I will go with Mass Cure Critical Wounds. There will be a lot of healing needed both in the pyramid and in Kraagor's Tomb.

For V, I personally doubt she will cast 9th level spells at all. But to pick one, I go with Power Word Kill.

Ghosty
2012-07-09, 09:48 AM
...y'know, I think I might join you. If only for the pleasure of seeing V stripped irrevocably of magic.

If the Crimson Mantle were to be destroyed by Disjunction, isn't there an awfully high chance that act would cause the Dark One to show up in person? I can't see X and the Dark One working together, especially when X finds out the real purpose of the Ritual. Incidentally, who wins in a X vs Dark One fight?

Douglas
2012-07-09, 10:03 AM
Incidentally, who wins in a X vs Dark One fight?
Dark One. Divine Rank and the immunities and abilities it grants trumps pretty much everything Xykon has.

factotum
2012-07-09, 10:08 AM
For Durkon, I will go with Mass Cure Critical Wounds. There will be a lot of healing needed both in the pyramid and in Kraagor's Tomb.

That presumes Durkon will survive long enough to *see* Kraagor's Tomb, which doesn't seem likely given the Oracle's prophecy.

Emanick
2012-07-09, 12:29 PM
That presumes Durkon will survive long enough to *see* Kraagor's Tomb, which doesn't seem likely given the Oracle's prophecy.
Why presume that Durkon isn't going to get raised? There are a good number of level 9 clerics in this world, and the prophecy said nothing about Durkon being dead for good.

I wouldn't even be terribly surprised if the High Priest of Thor was level 17. Durkon might not lose any levels. Who says that the dwarven homelands have to be destroyed within ten minutes of Durkon's arrival?

JSSheridan
2012-07-09, 01:19 PM

Dunno if I've posted it, but one of my theories of how the story is resolved is this. V tries it knowing the risk, and the loss of her power is his redeeming heroic sacrifice. It would be a good way to show how her character's grown too.

By presenting her with no regrets about giving up the power she spent her entire life pursuing, and that power is not an end to itself, but a means to protect herself, the people she cares for, and society.

As for Teh Dark One. Banjo > TDO.

Felixc-91
2012-07-10, 11:26 PM
Dunno if I've posted it, but one of my theories of how the story is resolved is this. V tries it knowing the risk, and the loss of her power is his redeeming heroic sacrifice. It would be a good way to show how her character's grown too.

By presenting her with no regrets about giving up the power she spent her entire life pursuing, and that power is not an end to itself, but a means to protect herself, the people she cares for, and society.

As for Teh Dark One. Banjo > TDO. Why do people keep assuming V would lose his/her powers? Yes its likely, but not garunteed. Even with no will modifier a level 17 wizard has a 25% chance of keeping their power after disenchanting an artifact. And anyway, it would be be the Giant's choice, making it a whatever the heck he felt like chance, not 25%.

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-10, 11:29 PM
Why do people keep assuming V would lose his/her powers? Yes its likely, but not garunteed. Even with no will modifier a level 17 wizard has a 25% chance of keeping their power after disenchanting an artifact. And anyway, it would be be the Giant's choice, making it a whatever the heck he felt like chance, not 25%.
We think it's likely because it's the Giant's choice. Absent a randomizer, the scene will play out as the Giant's sense for the dramatic demands, and it's more dramatic for V to lose her powers than not.

EDIT: various phone-keyboard-induced spelling errors have been corrected.

Felixc-91
2012-07-11, 12:07 AM
We think it's likely because it's the giant's choice. Absent a randomizer, the sece will play out as the giant's sense for the dramatic demands, and it's more dramatic for V to lose her powers than not. Well, that’s one dramatically appropriate way for things to play out, but there are others. Perhaps we see V considering the fact that destroying the crimson mantel might remove his spell casting powers but due to dire circumstances V does it anyway. Then we see V struggling to past the save and succeeding (perhaps visibly barely succeeding). That would also be dramatically appropriate as knowingly taking that kind of risk is a very heroic deed if you’re trying to save the world. Given what V has already risked (and lost, like his/her family) in this adventure it would be almost akin to putting your life on the line without any hope or wish for a reward (including the power V has accumulated during this adventure).

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-11, 01:26 AM
Well, that’s one dramatically appropriate way for things to play out, but there are others. Perhaps we see V considering the fact that destroying the crimson mantel might remove his spell casting powers but due to dire circumstances V does it anyway. Then we see V struggling to past the save and succeeding (perhaps visibly barely succeeding). That would also be dramatically appropriate as knowingly taking that kind of risk is a very heroic deed if you’re trying to save the world. Given what V has already risked (and lost, like his/her family) in this adventure it would be almost akin to putting your life on the line without any hope or wish for a reward (including the power V has accumulated during this adventure).
That scene you laid out is, perhaps, anti-dramatic. This is so not because of the power of the decision, but because of the pacing. Take a look at how many verbs you used: considering, doing, struggling, succeeding. All those actions have to be shown. All that showing takes away from the one dramating element, the decision to risk it all.

Furthermore, deciding to risk it all and losing nothing means the decision is, when it comes to the effect it has on anyone other than V, meaningless. Consider V trying to talk to, say, Inky, with no presuppositions as to content. Which statement is more likely to make Inky sit up and listen: "I have given up my magic" or "I decided to risk giving up my magic, but I still have it"?

Gusion
2012-07-15, 01:09 PM

That would certainly piss off the IFCC if they don't get their time from her first.

mootoall
2012-07-15, 03:59 PM
That would certainly piss off the IFCC if they don't get their time from her first.

I get the feeling that what they want from V isn't her spellcasting power. They've already demonstrated that they have several epic-level arcane casters at their disposal, and they've plenty of divine power.

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-15, 04:30 PM
I get the feeling that what they want from V isn't her spellcasting power. They've already demonstrated that they have several epic-level arcane casters at their disposal, and they've plenty of divine power.
What? The IFCC have a "non-compete clause" with the evil gods, and have PO'd one evil goddess specifically. What this means isn't fully explained, but we do know the IFCC's arcane splices can't mimic divine casting, and the IFCC probably can't grant divine spells themselves. What they might be able to do is splice the soul of one or more dead clerics onto a living and willing mortal. I suppose we'll see if it ever comes up.

I do agree that they probably don't care much about V's spellcasting powers as such. They do, however, seem to care about V specifically, and her spellcasting is one of the few things that makes her notable. The others include her placement in one of the parties seeking to influence the fate of the Gates and her crippling emotional problems. The IFCC probably cares about V because the combination of one or more of these things makes her useful.

orrion
2012-07-15, 07:05 PM
We think it's likely because it's the Giant's choice. Absent a randomizer, the scene will play out as the Giant's sense for the dramatic demands, and it's more dramatic for V to lose her powers than not.

EDIT: various phone-keyboard-induced spelling errors have been corrected.

The build-up to that chance is certainly dramatic. I don't know if that outcome is quite as dramatic.

Also, why destroy the Mantle? V could, for example, Imprison Redcloak. Bye Mantle.

zimmerwald1915
2012-07-15, 07:52 PM
The build-up to that chance is certainly dramatic. I don't know if that outcome is quite as dramatic.

Also, why destroy the Mantle? V could, for example, Imprison Redcloak. Bye Mantle.
Well, for that matter, why target Redcloak with a Disjunction at all? The answer, of course, is that Disjunction is an AoE, not a single-target spell. Redcloak tends to stand near Xykon, say, within eighty feet. A Disjunction targeted on Xykon, whom V knows to carry and rely on several potent magic items, would likely hit Redcloak. Heck, from V's perspective, why not center the Disjunction so that it might hit Redcloak? V's not sure Redcloak carries or relies on any potent magic items, but anything the spell could disjoin would just be gravy, right? Well, then it hits, activates on the Mantle, and puts V's magic in jeopardy.

I'll concede that's not terribly dramatic, since the jeopardy is the result of an accident rather than a deliberate choice, but it is a conceivable situation. This scenario, does, however, benefit from having only one possibly dramatic outcome: V's magic is taken, and she has to deal with that. In the situation postulated previously, where the drama comes from the choice, it is the making of the choice that matters and the consequence that, ultimately, doesn't. In this situation, the situation is only dramatic if there are consequences that have to be dealt with, and the drama comes from how those consequences are dealt with.

skaddix
2012-07-16, 02:10 AM
V is pretty useless with no magic though so that would need to happen near the end.

Chessgeek
2012-07-16, 12:50 PM
V is pretty useless with no magic though so that would need to happen near the end.

V casts disjunction and destroys the mantle. Then we see V roll to save, but before the die stops spinning, The Giant puts up a black panel with the words "THE END", and we never know what actually happened.

The official name of the comic is then changed to OOTSception.

Psyren
2012-08-01, 11:36 AM
And Disintegrate was, for a while, practically his/her signature spell.

V flies quite a bit too, and there was that one Polymorph in the desert.

JavaScribe
2012-08-01, 12:37 PM
I'll go with Time Stop as V's first 9th level spell.

Well, that’s one dramatically appropriate way for things to play out, but there are others. Perhaps we see V considering the fact that destroying the crimson mantel might remove his spell casting powers but due to dire circumstances V does it anyway. Then we see V struggling to past the save and succeeding (perhaps visibly barely succeeding). That would also be dramatically appropriate as knowingly taking that kind of risk is a very heroic deed if you’re trying to save the world. Given what V has already risked (and lost, like his/her family) in this adventure it would be almost akin to putting your life on the line without any hope or wish for a reward (including the power V has accumulated during this adventure).

It wouldn't really make sense for Vaarsuvius to disjunct the Crimson Mantle on purpose. Firstly, Disjunction only has a low chance of affecting an artifact at Vaarsuvius's level. Also, while many artifacts are difficult to destroy without extraordinary measures, the Crimson Mantle is not one of them. Over the years, bits and pieces of it have been torn off. Why take the risk of disjuncting it when a simple sword or possibly even a lesser spell would do the trick?

Having said that, Vaarsuvius disjuncting the Crimson Mantle for other reasons and losing its magic doesn't seem unlikely, since the only other likely fates in store for Vaarsuvius are death or spending a lifetime seeking redemption. It wouldn't be dramatically appropriate for an antihero like Vaarsuvius to get a 100% happy ending.

By the way, going by the usual rules, is it possible to recover spellcasting lost by Disjunction? Like via an epic spell or magic from the gods?

Lesser Naboo
2012-08-01, 03:13 PM
I'll go with Time Stop as V's first 9th level spell.

It wouldn't really make sense for Vaarsuvius to disjunct the Crimson Mantle on purpose. Firstly, Disjunction only has a low chance of affecting an artifact at Vaarsuvius's level. Also, while many artifacts are difficult to destroy without extraordinary measures, the Crimson Mantle is not one of them. Over the years, bits and pieces of it have been torn off. Why take the risk of disjuncting it when a simple sword or possibly even a lesser spell would do the trick?

Having said that, Vaarsuvius disjuncting the Crimson Mantle for other reasons and losing its magic doesn't seem unlikely, since the only other likely fates in store for Vaarsuvius are death or spending a lifetime seeking redemption. It wouldn't be dramatically appropriate for an antihero like Vaarsuvius to get a 100% happy ending.

By the way, going by the usual rules, is it possible to recover spellcasting lost by Disjunction? Like via an epic spell or magic from the gods?

It says it cannot be recovered, even by Miracle or Wish. However, it specifies that magic cannot be regained by any "mortal" magic, so direct divine intervention might be able to do it, depending on how you interpret the rules. And presuming the rules are followed.

By the way, I say V's first ninth level spell will be Wish. I can see him using an epic display of power if the need calls for it.

Fish
2012-08-02, 10:58 AM
Durkon will use Fire Storm when the party is attacked by a forest.

Vaarsuvius will cast Bugsby's Plot-Correcting Hand, or Bugsby's World-Saving Hand or similar.

Emperordaniel
2012-08-02, 11:09 AM
Vaarsuvius will cast Bugsby's Plot-Correcting Hand, or Bugsby's World-Saving Hand or similar.

V would probably have to go Epic and research that spell first, as the most powerful Hand spell is Crushing Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/crushingHand.htm) (or "Bugsby's Crushing Hand" :smalltongue:) - which is itself a 9th-level spell that s/he used in hir duel with Xykon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html). :smallwink:

Rorrik
2012-08-04, 01:03 PM
Is X's phalactry a magic item? What happens if it is disjuncted(if it can be)? That would be a great reason for V to be targeting Red Cloak with a disjunction, but there's even less reason for him to know RC has the phalactry than the mantle.

Holy Aura sounds about right for Durkon, though it's portrayal in a comic would be kind of a stumbling block, I think.

Lesser Naboo
2012-08-04, 02:10 PM
Is X's phalactry a magic item? What happens if it is disjuncted(if it can be)? That would be a great reason for V to be targeting Red Cloak with a disjunction, but there's even less reason for him to know RC has the phalactry than the mantle.

The Create Wondrous Item feat is required to create a phylactery, so it's definitely a magic item.

Rorrik
2012-08-04, 03:20 PM
The Create Wondrous Item feat is required to create a phylactery, so it's definitely a magic item.

So what happens if you disjunct it? Would it kill Xykon or what?

Rorrik
2012-08-04, 03:21 PM

So what happens if you disjunct it? Would it kill Xykon or what?

Kish
2012-08-04, 03:24 PM
Xykon's soul is not in his phylactery except when he's been destroyed. If his phylactery was destroyed, by Disjunction or by any other method, he would still need to be physically destroyed.

Whether he could create a new phylactery given enough time, only Rich knows.

Rorrik
2012-08-04, 03:47 PM
Yea, that sounds like a reasonable outcome. Would Xykon know it had been destroyed? He thinks he has the phylactery, so if Red Cloak were disjuncted, he might not know he had no real phylactery to hide in and not know to take caution or run away. That might be an interesting scenario.

WindStruck
2012-08-04, 08:50 PM
Even if V looses her ability to cast magic, that's alright. He's an elf and proficient with bows. :smallyuk:

Emperordaniel
2012-08-05, 02:31 AM
Even if V looses her ability to cast magic, that's alright. He's an elf and proficient with bows. :smallyuk:

:vaarsuvius: There is a vast gulf between being proficient in a weapon and being good with a weapon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0452.html)