PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Endless Minecraft-Esque RPG

Leliel
2012-07-04, 03:28 PM
Well, with the recent advent of Minecraft-esque endless games, I was thinking about other forms of games where the only progression needed is of your character and your crafted abode as you adventure through the endless, procedurally generated world.

So, I was thinking-we have Minecraft itself to explore what you can create, Terraria to explore what you can find-why not have a game where we explore what we can make our character into, ie a pure RPG?

No plot apart from whatever easter eggs you find and what you infer, no set characters apart from you create: just you, your gear, your party, and an endless series of dungeons, bosses, wandering monsters, and a level system.

Really, we have the groundwork already, it's just making sure the enemies remain challenging despite said level system. Hell, "unending series of bosses and dungeons" has already been done (check out A Valley Without Wind, though that's Metroidvania), we just need a good leveling and enchanting system for that crucial Minecraft feel-the idea that your character has infinite customization and potential.

Please note that this is not a real game in development, just something I'm typing up because I'm bored and think it might be entertaining to think of ideas for that kind of game.

So, any other ideas to make a game like this viable?

A thing I think would be nice is adding an out-of-battle offensive spellcasting system-as in, using that big, flashy summon of yours to level the BBEG's of the day's lair from the other end of the continent. In-game, this would be justified by your character becoming increasingly godlike. Realistically, this would appeal to the "Dwarf Fortress" demographic that is so vital-ie, building up a city, painstakingly, piece-by-piece, then proceeding to film yourself putting on your Evil Hat and hitting it with an asteroid or ten, then posting it on YouTube and laughing about it with the commentators.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-07-05, 04:18 AM
...Nethack?

factotum
2012-07-05, 06:48 AM
Isn't this largely what games like Diablo 3 and Torchlight already offer? Torchlight (the original, that is) even has a separate dungeon which unlocks after you complete the main plot and which, as far as I know, is infinitely deep--it will keep generating new random levels no matter how far down you go.

Going back a LONG way, the game "Captive" was also like this--you went through 10 levels or so to rescue this dude, and then he got recaptured and you went and did it all again. I think I got as far as level 55 or so, but there were literally thousands of the things!