PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Golems

lorddrake
2012-07-04, 04:23 PM
What was the most unusual material you used to make a golem on you campaign?

I mean things like bread golems and mold golem...

(Not that unusual never crossed the oficial creators' minds... as in prismatic and rope golems)

What was your experience on those?

yougi
2012-07-04, 07:16 PM
I remember once running a PF scenario with a Tallow Golem: I had a disturbing reaction when I described a "humanoid figure made of a sticky, gooey off-white material".

In 2e, there were Doll Golems, those were also kind of weird.

Urpriest
2012-07-04, 07:18 PM
This is something the designers made, so technically doesn't fit your criteria, but there's a low level adventure with a Calzone golem.

Waker
2012-07-04, 07:50 PM
I once made the Kool Aid Man for the party to face. Officially he was a Cherry-Flavored Golem.

Inglenook
2012-07-05, 12:28 AM
I remember reading a plot thread about a greengrocer hiring the PCs to figure out why there was blood all over his lettuce every morning. Cue the veggie golem …

Aegis013
2012-07-05, 12:32 AM
This is something the designers made, so technically doesn't fit your criteria, but there's a low level adventure with a Calzone golem.

That was a really fun adventure. I enjoyed it a lot when I got to play it.

AlanBruce
2012-07-05, 12:39 AM
I once made the Kool Aid Man for the party to face. Officially he was a Cherry-Flavored Golem.

I do hope that every time the Kool Aid man dropped a PC unconscious he would stare at the remaining party members, flex his arms and go:

"Oh YEAHHHHH!!!!"

grarrrg
2012-07-05, 01:03 AM

?
Wouldn't Kool-Aid Man be a hollow Glass Golem (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-glass) and/or a "Water" Elemental?

EDIT: OH! A "Water" Elemental with a Construct Armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs) Glass Golem!

planswalker
2012-07-05, 01:06 AM
I've found that the incorporeal prismatic golem is the weirdest thing I've ever needed in a golem.

It faced off against a half-celestial troll and a half-copper dragon drow pair of pc's.

Tokuhara
2012-07-05, 02:43 AM
We had a Manure Golem, Bacon Golem, Marijuana Golem (Had a hallucinogenic touch attack that made you stoned), and a Broken Caravan Parts Golem over the course of a single 1-20 adventure.

hiryuu
2012-07-05, 03:41 AM
Live monitor lizards.

Aqua regia.

Books. In Riedran Sarlona, library come check you out.

Fingers.

Lute strings.

Bit Fiend
2012-07-05, 03:53 AM
?
Wouldn't Kool-Aid Man be a hollow Glass Golem (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-glass) and/or a "Water" Elemental?

EDIT: OH! A "Water" Elemental with a Construct Armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs) Glass Golem!

Well, there is this guy (http://www.goblinscomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Tempts_Page9d.jpg)...

Gandariel
2012-07-05, 03:56 AM
Bit of a shameful self-plug, but i statted up a Steam golem here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246342)

Thurbane
2012-07-05, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I once homebrewed a filth (dung) golem for a 2E game, but never got to use it against the party...

Arcanist
2012-07-05, 06:03 AM
Once attacked a party with a Dread Cadaver Golem. They got angry because I theurged her :smallfrown:

jackattack
2012-07-05, 08:55 AM
I've never had the opportunity, but I burn to use the Stained Glass golem.

Inspired by a hallucination sequence in the movie "Young Sherlock Holmes".

Chained Birds
2012-07-05, 09:05 AM
I always liked PF's Cannon Golem.

Has a Cannon for an arm, and has the best feature of the Gunslinger Class (Dex to Damage).

Oh, and his critical involves slamming the cannon into the person's gut and pulling the trigger. My image of this event is pure EPIC!

Though not all too unusual. :smalltongue:

Randomguy
2012-07-05, 09:47 AM
In the tome of artifacts, there's a pepper golem.

Wookie-ranger
2012-07-05, 10:23 AM
Well i thought about this one to actually use in a game.... but decided not to.

Not sure if appropriate for everyone, but it is on a public website that does not require an age verification. if some one has a problem with is i will take the link down right away.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2183

Edit: warning added

Waker
2012-07-05, 10:27 AM
Wookie, you might want to edit your message to warn people that it's NSFW at the very least.

Dire Panda
2012-07-06, 11:50 AM
D&D'ing with physicists is awesome, especially when you throw a "Plasma Golem" at them and they immediately realize it can be manipulated with electromagnetic fields. Cue an hour-long discussion that begins with calculating the current density of a Chain Lightning spell and ends with the poor thing dying from exponentially-growing plasma instabilities. They put the spell's lightning arcs in just the right place to produce the desired magnetic field. I think I still have the six pages of scratch paper we used.

...yes, it was out-of-character knowledge, but it was too damn funny to ban.

Unusual Muse
2012-07-06, 01:36 PM

Pizza the Hut!

Unusual Muse
2012-07-06, 01:39 PM
In Riedran Sarlona, library come check you out.

Nice! :smallsmile:

panaikhan
2012-07-10, 07:32 AM
The Ravenloft golems are all fairly wierd. (blood, grave, bone, glass - I think there are more)
There was another I loved called the Razor Golem (I think), made of circular saw blades.

Strange ideas I've had:
The Candifloss Golem
The Golem Golem (A golem made of golems)
The Scarab Golem (A golem made of bugs)

grarrrg
2012-07-10, 10:19 AM

GO GO POWER RANGERS!

SUMMON THE GOLEM-ZORDS!

FORM THE MEGA-GOLEM-ZORD!!

TuggyNE
2012-07-10, 06:21 PM

Epic variant: Fractal golem. Insanity as a gaze attack, because looking at the thing makes you nuts.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-10, 06:34 PM
Gingerbread Golems amuse me immensely.

Psyren
2012-07-11, 02:52 AM
Isn't there a paper/origami golem somewhere?

Bacon Golem

Do want

Darrin
2012-07-11, 07:05 AM
Isn't there a paper/origami golem somewhere?

Yes. Dragon #341: Fungus golem, junk golem, paper golem, tin golem, wax golem, and wood golem.

Eldan
2012-07-11, 07:42 AM
I had the Rune Golem once. It looked like a clay golem. Except that every inch of its surface was etched with spells.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-07-11, 11:38 AM

I wish you could've videotaped your players reactions. Did it smash through a wall yelling too?

Manly Man
2012-07-11, 11:48 AM
Have one called the Butcher's Golem. It's made from offal, meat scraps and bone chips. Probably make it have an ability similar to Marrow from X-Men, getting boosts in damage reduction or changing the damage done by its slam attack at will.

georgie_leech
2012-07-11, 11:56 AM
My party doesn't know it yet, but they're going to run into an interesting creature the next time they see the Mad Genius character in my campaign. I wonder if they'll be able to figure out the weakness of the bubblegum golem...

Arcane_Secrets
2012-07-11, 11:58 AM
My party doesn't know it yet, but they're going to run into an interesting creature the next time they see the Mad Genius character in my campaign. I wonder if they'll be able to figure out the weakness of the bubblegum golem...

summon giant shoe IX?

Eldan
2012-07-11, 12:13 PM
Does it take more damage from bite attacks? Does a gust of wind turn it into a bubble golem?

georgie_leech
2012-07-11, 12:14 PM
summon giant shoe IX?

Nah, but I know our Dwarf Fighter is probably going to jump on it at some point. Seriously, if he didn't specify that he had an orange-ish beard, I'd swear he was trying to make Mario.

Does it take more damage from bite attacks? Does a gust of wind turn it into a bubble golem?

Shh, they might read this!

Milo v3
2012-07-13, 09:06 AM
My favourite was my Dandelion Golem. He was The Dragon for the Dandelion King (An egotistical awakened Dandelion Warlock/Druid).

Necroticplague
2012-07-13, 09:55 AM
Once, as a boss for a dungeons crawl, a party I was in ended up spying on some orcs fiddling around with a mechanical contraption. It wasn't until it roared to life that we realized it for what it was: a Dakka Golem, a fiendish contraption built entirely out of crude guns. It ended up becoming a sort of running gag, where we see some minor character built entirely out of appropriate ranged weapons (the cops had a tazer golem, in a zombie game there was a shotgun golem, in a future game we worked for a gravity gun golem)

BRC
2012-07-13, 11:02 AM
Once, as a boss for a dungeons crawl, a party I was in ended up spying on some orcs fiddling around with a mechanical contraption. It wasn't until it roared to life that we realized it for what it was: a Dakka Golem, a fiendish contraption built entirely out of crude guns. It ended up becoming a sort of running gag, where we see some minor character built entirely out of appropriate ranged weapons (the cops had a tazer golem, in a zombie game there was a shotgun golem, in a future game we worked for a gravity gun golem)

That...Is...GENIUS
Still, it needed more Dakka.