PDA

View Full Version : Best place to find pre written PC backstories

Invader
2012-07-04, 08:56 PM
Title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for a good source to find pre-written character histories. Partly because I like reading them and partly for ideas to use myself.

Yukitsu
2012-07-04, 09:05 PM
In all seriousness, I use both TV tropes and novels for that sort of thing. Pick your favourite author, read up on the back stories of some of the characters there, and you'll not be disappointed.

Most of my back stories and character concepts are stolen from media, but I mash so many concepts together into one messy whole that they tend to get seen as relatively original to my DM, even if he's seen my source material.

Invader
2012-07-04, 09:45 PM
In all seriousness, I use both TV tropes and novels for that sort of thing. Pick your favourite author, read up on the back stories of some of the characters there, and you'll not be disappointed.

Most of my back stories and character concepts are stolen from media, but I mash so many concepts together into one messy whole that they tend to get seen as relatively original to my DM, even if he's seen my source material.

The problem I have with that is that it's almost always a cliche hook.

The farm boy discovers he has great hidden magic
The orphan finds out he's really royalty
Etc. etc.

I've found that the back stories from players actually tend to be much more original than fantasy writers (in general).

Yukitsu
2012-07-04, 10:24 PM
Yes, that's generally the call to arms of the heroes journey. A reason they weren't adventuring, but are now. In any scenario where you aren't running a group of already adventurers, you need to have a reason they weren't adventuring before, and are now.

Some people these days write a back story for their current character about how they were adventurers for X years prior to the story. In those cases, it's best to assess a character at about the half way point through a story series, and view every preceding event as back story. (for example, if I were to look up Bilbo Baggins during the lord of the rings, his backstory is dramatically different from at the start of the Hobbit) If you don't want a completely fresh start for the characters, this is where you should look.

Even then however, they were at some point in time just your average everyday folk. Somewhere along the line, they were somehow compelled to leave their normal life and try to acquire some prize at the end of their heroic work, and that's when "farmboy becomes mage" or "Suddenly learns he's a prince" become relevant.

The-Mage-King
2012-07-05, 12:00 PM

Same here- hell, stealing backstories/characters is a long tradition of authors. Just look at Shakespeare. :smalltongue:

Venger
2012-07-05, 03:54 PM
try looking over old iron chef threads. the backstories there can be pretty good and generally aren't very long, allowing you to experiment with a variety of approaches and styles.

Invader
2012-07-05, 04:31 PM
try looking over old iron chef threads. the backstories there can be pretty good and generally aren't very long, allowing you to experiment with a variety of approaches and styles.

Ooh, very good idea!

Venger
2012-07-05, 05:40 PM
Ooh, very good idea!

sure thing!

Unusual Muse
2012-07-05, 07:32 PM
Engine Publishing's Masks! 1000 Memorable NPCs (http://www.enginepublishing.com/masks-1000-memorable-npcs-for-any-roleplaying-game) book could just as easily be used for PCs as for NPCs.

animewatcha
2012-07-05, 07:42 PM
There was a Trilogy that I can't remember the name of it as a whole ( Sword of Truth ). First book called Devlin's luck. About a guy who 'just wanted to die', but his luck wouldn't let him. Perhaps give it a try?