PDA

View Full Version : Add Arcane Spells to Cleric List

ninjay
2012-07-04, 11:24 PM
What are the ways that one goes about adding arcane spells to their holy man? Here are the ways of which I now know:

1) Domains: Of course, but I'm missing some specific spells that would be great to have (such as ghostform, undermaster, and SPHERE OF ULTIMATE
DESTRUCTION).
2) Divine Magician Alternate Class Feature: Only three schools, and I have to give up a domain.

Any other (preferably non-epic level) ideas, everyone? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Greyfeld85
2012-07-04, 11:27 PM
Take levels in Wizard :P

I kid. I don't have any answers to your question, but I'm curious as to your reasoning for wanting to do so?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-04, 11:32 PM
Mystic Theurge?

ninjay
2012-07-04, 11:36 PM
Originally, just because of coolness and throwing enemies off as to what kind of caster I happened to be (RP mostly). Now? I am trying to create a character with Divine Metamagic, Persistent Spell, (you know where this is going)...

In other words, I want as many persist-worthy spells on this list as possible.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-04, 11:37 PM
1. Optimize the Use Magic Device skill.
2. Get a Runestaff (MIC) with all your favorite non-Cleric spells on it.
3. When you prepare your spells for the day, UMD the Runestaff and use any of its spells with your Cleric casting.

ninjay
2012-07-04, 11:39 PM
Mystic Theurge?

I considered making a cloistered cleric (which I'm doing anyway)/wizard/mystic theurge or dread necromancer, but I'd rather prestige into Contemplative for the bonus domains and some of the class features. I'll reconsider, though.

killianh
2012-07-04, 11:44 PM
If you pick up a class with a pre known spell list (beguiler, Warmage, etc) then you can use versatile spellcaster to burn up your cleric spells to cast higher level spells off the Arcane class

ninjay
2012-07-04, 11:46 PM
There is the Divine Magician ACF in Complete Mage where you can trade one domain for the ability to gain one wizard spell from the abjuration, divination or necromancy school... as a cleric spell for each spell level you can cast as a cleric.

I mentioned that in the first post...

If you pick up a class with a pre known spell list (beguiler, Warmage, etc) then you can use versatile spellcaster to burn up your cleric spells to cast higher level spells off the Arcane class

That sounds pretty good. What's the source?

By the way, I've pretty much exhausted the precious magic of Crystal Keep, unfortunately, but let me know if you see something in there, too.

Murmaider
2012-07-05, 06:50 AM
Going Shadowcraft Mage would give you acces to Shadow Conjuration/Evocation.

The Spell Domain from SpC gives anyspell and greater anyspell which grant any arcane spell up to 5th level.

Amoren
2012-07-05, 06:58 AM
Going Archivist would allow you to cast every divine spell possible, so long as you find a scroll of it. Which includes divine bards, and alternate spell source mystic theurges.

Otherwise, Mystic Theurge with Alternate Source Spell (a dragon magazine feat) will allow you to cast arcane spells as divine spells at -2 caster level. Which means you can persist them with Divine Metamagic.

Randomguy
2012-07-05, 09:56 AM
I don't think the versatile spellcaster trick works that way: The pre-known list classes only know spells up to the level they can cast, right? So a single level of beguiler will only let you cast lvl 1 beguiler spells using versatile spellcaster.
You could probably work your way around that, though, by getting highten spell or something, but I'm not sure.

Another versatile spellcaster trick is to get a level of wizard and max out spellcraft and decipher script (which you may need to get onto your class list somehow). A wizard "knows" all the spells in his spellbook, and he can put spells in there that he can't cast as long as his spellcraft is high enough. You can now use versatile spellcaster (since you spontaneously cast cure spells) to cast the wizard spells in your spellbook.

Roguenewb
2012-07-05, 10:08 AM
"A Warmage doesn't need to select spells known, she knows all the spells on her list"

Greyfeld85
2012-07-05, 12:22 PM
"A Warmage doesn't need to select spells known, she knows all the spells on her list"

That may work per RAW, but every DM I know would throw several books at me if I tried to use that sort of crap.

eggs
2012-07-05, 12:27 PM
Wizards know the spells in their spellbooks, and have no cap on the number or level they can scribe.

But it's not a rule anyone ever plays with, and the Wizard spells still don't work with DMM.

Wookie-ranger
2012-07-05, 05:51 PM
Wizards know the spells in their spellbooks, and have no cap on the number or level they can scribe.

But it's not a rule anyone ever plays with, and the Wizard spells still don't work with DMM.

The thing about the Wizard is that it never says that they "know" the spells in their spell book, only that they are written in there. It's a technicality.

The fact is that Warmage/Dread Necromancer/Beguiler explicitly know all the spells on their list. And the feat versatile spellcaster explicitly lets you substitute 2 lower spells to cast 1 higher spell that you know.

It is not so much that you could interpret most caster-classes to 'know' all spells that they could potentially cast, but that it says so perfectly clear for those three classes.
Brocken? can be.
RAW? pretty much.
will it be house ruled by most sane DMs? yup.

Edit:
Also the Feat is for spontaneous casters, wizard does not qualify.

Glimbur
2012-07-05, 06:19 PM
There's a domain (Spell) that gives you Anyspell and Greater Anyspell. They are domain spells that let you prepare an arcane spell in your domain slot, at 3rd and 6th spell level respectively. You can use an arcane spell of at most one lower level than the anyspell slot, so 2nd and 5th respectively. It's not amazing but it is pretty simple.