View Full Version : Cool, Sweet, and Gutsy (Anime 3.5 DnD)

amiplayable
2012-07-05, 01:26 AM
It isn’t too long after you make your entrance in the room, forced or not, when more people begin to fill the room. People of different sizes, ages, races, and backgrounds arrive. There are a few notable people that enter, including yourselves and what seemed to be a group of clergymen, but there are far more plain people, and anyone particularly interesting is quickly hidden among generic faces. Before long, the community service hall is filled with people taking their seats in the chairs and the room rang with the sound of many voices talking to others.

Anyone taking notice of the maid in the corner may notice that another maid with a pile of papers has entered the room. After briefly whispering to the first maid, the new maid takes the first maid’s place as the other takes her leave. Before leaving, she approaches one of the clergyman, an elderly, bald half-orc with a thick, white beard. On his modest-looking vestments is a single image of a face framed by a bright sun. The maid says something to him briefly before slipping him something small and exiting the room.

Soon after, a big, stocky man clad in full plate armor enters the room, gruffly dragging in bespectacled gnome, who looked as though he was off in his own world. The man was Rolan Tenner, Chief of the City Guard, and more likely than not, the reason why you are here in the first place. He immediately makes his way toward the podium with the gnome in tow, though he takes a moment to give Forvar a small glare. With an exasperated sigh, he pushes the gnome to the podium allowing him to speak.

“Uh, my apologies, ladies, gentlemen, and troublemakers,” The gnome began, his speech slightly slurred. Strangely, he did not smell like a pub nor look like he was under the effects of a narcotic. He adjusted his thick glasses before continuing. “I meant to be here before any of you, but on my way here, I saw the most beautiful butterfly. When you get to be my age, your mind tends to wander. My name is Zook, and I will give out your service assignments. As you know, you are here as a result of poor misconduct on your part. Now, while we all make mistakes, we all must pay the consequences for them. For those who came here on their will, I thank you for making this an easier process and hope you get a rewarding experience as a result. For those who did not, well, I hope you understand that if you were not here, the one who would suffer the most is not you nor the law, but people less fortunate than you that could have benefitted from your contribution. I hope that makes you feel very guilty.

“For those who never did this before, I will explain briefly. I will call out a name. That person is a supervisor that has willingly allowed their charity or organization to receive help from you. Then, I will call out a group of names. This group will be under the supervisor and will work for them until their service is up or unless a group or member is transferred to another supervisor. I advise you all to behave yourselves, since they have the option of not counting your day’s work to your sentence time should they find your work or conduct to be unsatisfactory. Now, then, let’s begin.”

He took one of the sheets of papers from the new maid in the corner. If you have not noticed the switch before, you can see now. “Zeng. Zeng, are you here?”

A half-orc with a beard stood up, raised his hand, and began moving towards the speaker. Those who noticed may see that it was the same half-orc the first maid spoke to.

“Forvar, Aron, Markus, and Eamon, you will be assisting Zeng of the Church of Pelor by collecting food for the poor.”

Zeng took the paper from Zeng and beckoned for the four to follow him to a more secluded spot at the eastern side of the room. “Here, this way. Follow Zeng to the corner.”

Cespenar
2012-07-05, 02:42 AM
Ending up in a chair in the middle of the bunch, Markus rushes quickly up to his feet as soon as his name is read, but can't quickly find a way between all the other chairs and their occupants. He tries to jump over someone's legs, succeeds, but can't regain his balance well enough to avoid bumping into a large, burly man. As he revolves around to say he is sorry, he almost knocks over a young girl off her chair, and he departs the scene by mumbling a thousand apologies to both of them while backing away step by step.

Only when he reaches the priest of Pelor that he finds time to be curious about the other three, and he turns his head sideways in hopes of getting a good look at them.

Anyone looking at him, in return, would see that Markus is a lean, scrawny teenager of pale complexion and curly blond hair. His childlike features are occasionally contrasted by a sudden determined look, but most of the time, he looks shy and awkward. People spending at least a week or two in the town would recognize him as that bumbling guard recruit who has been making a lot of mistakes and generally being a source of fun to anyone but himself.

Cloudsmeet
2012-07-05, 09:34 AM
Eamon is slightly slack-jawed in disbelief as he listens to the gnome detailing his punishment, beginning to dread the apparent monumentally disinteresting task that lies ahead. As his name is called, he rises, methodically pushes his glasses up his nose and steps carefully over the few souls sitting near him before heading to meet up with Zeng and the rest of his punishment detail. He takes care to stand apart from Markus and avoids looking at him; he's not particularly interested and he's not here to make random friends.

Anyone looking sees a tall, dark haired young man with a serious face behind serious glasses, with a clean and neat appearance. He tends to look either serious or annoyed in most situations, it's rare to see him really smile but when he does (which he isn't, now), it completely transforms him.

Strainseir
2012-07-06, 06:52 PM
Forvar was honestly a bit surprised they had not led him in with chains. While Forvar was in no means aggressive to these guards the 'special' relationship he had with the Chief and his very lovely daughter was the only reason he was here. Sitting in the middle of a row, Forvar put his feet up on the chair infront of him before adjusting his glasses. His flame tattoos seemed to shift a bit with his emotions keeping the draconic words hard not to stare at. Forvar was a tall young man standing just over six and a half foot tall. When the Chief glared at forvar he called out,"How is your daughter after the other night sir?"

When his name was called Forvar left to his feet then saluted the chief. Grinning wickedly Forvar straightened his glasses looking towards the orc,"So cleric what fun things shall we be doing today?"

Jacior
2012-07-07, 10:57 PM
Aron is sitting near the back of the room, playing with his sister-doll (having fixed the joint) and trying to avoid rousing his natural tendencies up. Trying to avoid looking at anyone as his name was called, he started towards the front of the room. Somehow, mystifying most watching, he manages to get turned around in the single room (pesky chairs and having to walk around them) and manages to find his way to the door that the maids had been using. The sexy maids. With their cute faces and perky, round- Oops, stop that train of thought at the station.

He stood at the door for a moment before realising that was no one else there with him. He turned around and saw the rest of the hall staring at him. "Eh-hehe..." Aron managed to make it to over where the others were standing, oweing the crowd thanks for their assistance in directing him there. "I got kind of lost..."

amiplayable
2012-07-09, 05:39 AM
At Forvar's salute, the Captain of the Guard face reddens as he clenches his fists at his side. His mouth tightens and for a brief moment looked as though he would break his composure, except his attention is soon focused on Markus, the recruit, and his stumbling. He watches long enough to see him go through the man and knock down a young girl, both who are decent enough to accept his apologies and not cause a scene. He sighs and rubs his temples, partially from stress cause by Forvar and partially from second-hand embarrassment watching Markus. Once Zook began to call out more names, the Captain of the Guard began to leave, long enough to see Aron being directed away from the exit. He sighs once more.

Zeng noticeably winces as he watches the four members of the group he will be working with arrive. When Eamon, Forvar, and Markus arrives in a somewhat timely manner, he gave a short nod of approval to Eamon, possibly for his much less eventful arrival but gave the young man no smile. He looked over the paper a bit longer, frowning the more he looked at it. Then he spent the rest of the time staring along with everyone, watching Aron weave around the room, somehow getting lost. Zeng only shook his head once Aron arrived.

"Yes, Zeng saw. You got very lost." Zeng says to Aron, clearly unimpressed. Zeng's common is spoken with a strong Orcish accent and an unprecedented need to refer to himself in the third person. He addresses everyone now. "Zeng works with a group in the church. The group collects food by asking for donations. And receives donations. And stores donations. Big festival is coming up soon, so Zeng needs more help. Zeng wanted you to help store extra food... Then, Zeng read this paper...

"Zeng's group is full of old people and ladies -" he gave Forvar a look -"Young ladies." - then, he did the same to Aron. "Zeng isn't comfortable letting you work with them, so Zeng has an idea. A good idea.

"Zeng has good friends, generous friends. They pledged and donate every month, but this month, no food came. Zeng sent letters and messages, but Zeng got no response or donations. They live 20 miles east. Too far for the old to travel and the ladies don't want to go. 'Scared of bandits. And of my friends. Zeng wants you to go to them and ask for the food that was promised. If they need help bringing food, help them. Leave soon, and you will be there just before dinner time."

Cespenar
2012-07-09, 06:40 AM
As the group is given directions, Markus snaps into attention and salutes with needless fervor.

"Yes sir. We will not disappoint you."

He stands resolute for almost a full second, but then remembers something, and raises a hand.

"Uh, are we going to be issued some equipment, sir? They -the guards- kind of took my stuff away after the incident, and I'm not sure I can protect the others unarmed..."

He sounds awfully honest about the 'protecting others' part.

amiplayable
2012-07-09, 06:17 PM
Zeng looks amused at Markus's eagerness. He strokes his beard thoughtfully as he listens to the subject of equipment. "Yes, yes. Zeng knows the east road is dangerous. There are bandits. And wild animals. Very well, Zeng will provide some equipment for you. The church collected many things over the years from ex-pilgrims. They're old, but still good.

Hmm... some of you look young. Tell your families where you'll be going then meet Zeng at the Pelor Temple by the East Gate within an hour. Zeng will have equipment for you. Do not be late. Do not get lost. Or Zeng will repot you abandoning your duties."

Anyone who has lived in city long enough knew where East Gate was. Acassan was a massive city surrounded by a large City Wall with many entrances. Its east-most entrance was called the East Gate and known for being right in the middle of the city's slums. Crime around the area is also fairly high, but most crimes occur at night. While the East Gate and the East Road are one of the less popular roads to begin adventuring, it's slowly beginning to become more popular.

((OOC: All right. Everyone gets their chance to gear up and do what they want with their character for an hour. Zeng will provide only standard weapons from the srd and adventuring gear. Anything unconventional, alchemy items, or armor, etc. we'll assume you bought within the hour. While your character gets weapons and adventuring gear for free, you do not. Use that gold to plan for a trip of about 1 day. 2 if you plan on getting very lost.))

Cespenar
2012-07-10, 01:51 AM
"Bandits and wild animals..?"

Markus, who has never fought an actual opponent in a life-on-the-line basis as of yet, somewhat blanches at the prospect. Still, he recovers himself and catches on with the rest of the speech.

"Thank you sir. We will be here within the hour. Not here, I mean, the east gate," he mumbles, and starts walking with a brisk pace to his home in order to say his goodbyes and hopefully have some time to visit the shops. He turns halfway down the street, not yet sure about his would-be companions, and waves awkwardly at them.

"I'll see you guys there."

Strainseir
2012-07-10, 07:39 PM
Forvar laughs happily when he hears about this. In truth it was slave labor, but in some way paladins and Clerics are also slaves. At least this would be fun, and he could keep anything he claimed from these so called bandits,"Ha ha ha! You need true manly power to protect you and these people where your god cannot. I understand good cleric. I shall meet you in an hour then. Bring much food and drink!"

At that Forvar left with some speed so that he might say goodbye to his mother, take up his father's sword and to get his guitar. He then took the rest of the money he had saved up for this hoping that he could bring home much more so that his mother would never need work again.

Jacior
2012-07-10, 10:38 PM
Aron fiddled with his doll, making it bow and curtsy while he listened to the old half-orc speak. It wasn't a difficult task they were assigned. Though it seemed perhaps that the half-orc might have been trying to kill them, sending them out into the vermin-infested, bandit-riddled, wild-animal-inhabited roads outside the city. It just wasn't safe for folks who had never left the city before. But then, Zeng was a half-orc. Maybe he just didn't know any better.

He paled at the terms of their hour repreive. Aron could barely make it around his apartment without a map and a compass. It seems his sister would have to lead him around yet. As they went shopping for traveling gear... She would make him regret it, he'd have to get her something nice while he was out. Maybe they'd have something interesting in the next town...

He manages to escape the maze of a building by siezing the clothing of the man with firey tattoos. "I'll try and be there on time." He looked around for sister, the doll that had walked out with the group mimicing his motions.

Strainseir
2012-07-11, 04:11 PM
The stranger following him around clutching at his flowing scarf actually amuses Forvar. If the clinger on stays after Forvar has his things, luckily he lives close by, he would then turn to look to the sad one clinging to him,"Greetings there little one. You do seem to be male, I shall teach you to be a man. Where do you live? I shall guide you to your home then to the gate to keep you from getting lost. A real man should know how to follow his heart to where he needs to go! I will teach you this."

Jacior
2012-07-11, 05:41 PM
Aron looks down at his hand to realise that he hadn't let go of the man whom he had tried to use to exit the building safely. He looked around, utterly mystified that he had not managed to notice the changing scenery while looking for his sister. His face turned very red at the man's comments. "Of course I'm a guy! I don't need your help to be a man, I just need..." He trailed off, looking around at the scenery. "To find my way back to where we were. My sister is waiting for me there. Or, at least I hope she still is. She's going to kill me." His free hand never seemed to stop moving, as it had piloted the little girl shaped doll behind them the entire time, absentmindly it appeared. It reached up and patted him on the back, the movements not quite as smooth as it would have been were it human.

Strainseir
2012-07-11, 07:02 PM
Forvar looked down questioningly at the little person with the doll,"Is that your... Sister? I can take you back to that building to help you find her if need be." Forvar said as he watched this truly strange scene.

Jacior
2012-07-11, 09:00 PM
Aron sighed. "Yes, this is what my sister looks like. Except the outfit, that's just my own personal touch." The doll was dressed prettily, but conservatorily. "I'd appreciate it. I can't really find my way anywhere."

Strainseir
2012-07-11, 09:19 PM
Forvar was genuinely amused. He had plenty of time so he would gladly take this little one back to where his sister should be, and at least try to get him to his house then the gate without the two of them getting horribly lost together,"Well lets go then, do not get separated little guy. I do not want to have to come find you again. We have a time limit."

Cloudsmeet
2012-07-12, 08:24 AM
Eamon goes into something like shock at the sight of his new comrades-to-be, an inner voice howling curses at all the gods of misfortune that have landed him with such a colourful lot. Slowly trudging out of the building after Zeng's dismissal, he makes it home before venting his rage, leaving a footshaped hole in the wall of his room. Quickly dragging the nearest piece of furniture over the hole, he takes a deep breath before planning and gathering his things, arriving at the East Gate exactly on time with everything he thinks he'll need.

Jacior
2012-07-12, 11:24 PM
Aron sighed, he hated being called little. He wasn't short, it's just the man, Forvar, was gigantic! "Let's go. Before I end up being late." He shrunk the girl-doll to the size of a coin and slipped it ito his pocket, then seized again the scarf of the very tall man with the tattoo's in draconic.

Cespenar
2012-07-13, 12:59 AM
Markus reaches the East Gate wearing a brand new banded mail and carrying a polished, pronged spear. He almost looks like a legitimate soldier, the only thing messing up the effect being... his face.

He approaches the serious one of the bunch -Eamon, was it?- and asks nervously.

"I- I'm not late, am I?"

Strainseir
2012-07-13, 05:05 PM
Luckily for Aron Forvar knew this city. It was his city. Moving from pub to pub seeking coin for his music or hunting monsters in the streets, Forvar had patrolled this city since he was a child. With nothing more that at least a good description of an area he can most likely find it eventually. If Aron's sister is not at where they left, Forvar will try to bring Aron to his house then the East gate as quickly as possible.

amiplayable
2012-07-19, 09:29 PM
((Forvar and Aron))

Forvar and Aron, thanks to Forvar's great familiarity with the city, are able to make it to the place where they left. However, Kara, Aron's sister, is not there, so Forvar leads Aron to his home instead. While they do whatever business they have there, Kara arrives not too long afterwards. Apparently, in a moment of inconvenient timing, she went to the bathroom while you were looking for her. Kara figured she missed her brother leaving and he became lost again. She went home to see if he managed to find his way home.

After whatever explanation is given to her, she looks a little worried that Aron would be given such a dangerous task but accepts it. Before you leave, she quickly packs two bento boxes and gives it to her brother. "I've heard some scary things about what's past East Gate. Be careful, and don't stray far from the others. You know I care about you, so please come back alive and well."

((Eamon and Markus))
The area around East Gate is filled with busy people as much as any other part of the city. Many are going about, doing laborious work, begging, or selling some cheap wares or low-quality food. Children in shabby clothing - if any, at all - run about laughing and playing as any other kids would. The streets are unsurprisingly dirty and many smells linger, unpleasantly mixing into something only slightly foul, in the air. Buildings here are a strange mix of shabby fixtures to large, sturdy structures, all closely together as if somebody wanted to push as many living spaces in as possible. Right next to the exit at the East Gate stands the local Temple of Pelor, one of the most humble of its kind, bare of any fancy furnishings or decorations, only simple things and necessities. Unlike other Pelorian temples, the windows were free of any stained glass. It fit in with the rest of the buildings and was smaller than normal in size. Those that walk inside see the clergy tending to the sick and hungry.

As you reach the East Gate and after you have obtained all your gear, you can see Zeng coming from somewhere behind the temple with a few sheets of paper and a jug. He is looking over the papers and still hasn't seen you yet but it looks like he'll be done checking soon.

Jacior
2012-07-29, 01:03 AM
@HOME:
"I will. Don't worry, I am not helpless, you know. You of all people should know." Aron says, hugging his sister. Aron, surprisingly, had a large amount of adventuring equipment stashed away in his home. He looks at Forvar with a slight red tinge to his cheeks. "I get lost often, so it's best to be prepared if I have to leave the house alone." The bento boxes are secured especially well. He kisses his sister on the head before siezing the scarf of the tattoo'd giant. "I'll be back in a couple days. Don't invite boys over."

@EAST GATE:
Hopefully arriving in time, Aron thinks it most prudent not to let go of Forvar.

Cloudsmeet
2012-07-29, 04:06 AM
Eamon is watching Zeng walking towards him before suddenly realising that Markus is speaking to him. He coughs, mildly embarrassed and not really wanting to make conversation with someone, ahem, like Markus. Luckily he spies Forvar and Aron making their way towards the east gate, and gestures towards them. "I, uh, don't think so. Look, the others and Zeng are just getting here now." He then coughs again, and turns away in the hope of discouraging any further conversation.

OOC: No offense to Markus, I'm just playing up the arrogant aspect of his character. I assume that at some point soon Markus will do something heroic and save Eamon's ass so that they can become great friends, but until then Eamon's going to try and politely ignore someone he thinks is below him and not worth talking to.

Cespenar
2012-07-30, 12:43 AM
Markus turns his gaze to where Eamon had gestured and sees that he's not late to the show, while being apparently oblivious to Eamon's feelings. Only a slight red tinge at his cheeks belies to any emotion otherwise.

"Oh, right, here they are."

"I'm sorry."

OOC:

No offense to Markus, I'm just playing up the arrogant aspect of his character. I assume that at some point soon Markus will do something heroic and save Eamon's ass so that they can become great friends, but until then Eamon's going to try and politely ignore someone he thinks is below him and not worth talking to.

You didn't need to explain. It's a well-used trope, and good roleplaying. :smallbiggrin:

amiplayable
2012-08-02, 04:35 PM
Forvar and Aron arrive right on time where Markus and Eamon wait. Zeng just about finishes whatever work he had on the papers he had and approaches .

"Wonderful! Zeng sees you are all here! Very prompt!" He says. He begins to over hand the papers he has to whoever wishes to take it. "These are the pledges Zeng's friends, Mandolin and Gendy, promised. These are your papers. Zeng needs them signed by either Mandolin or Gendy to show you did the job well. You all have one each. Show it to anyone that needs to know what business you have past East Gate. Finally, here's a map. If you follow the road, you should get there, but use it in case you get lost."

Finally, he takes out the jug he has and says. "And here's some of Zeng's own orcish beer! For some reason, no one else wants to drink it but Zeng! Take it. It's good for the road. Have a nice trip!"

OOC: Hope everyone's ready to go on the road. A big update's to come when you start traveling!

Strainseir
2012-08-03, 11:51 PM
Forvar reaches over and takes the bottle with a smile,"A real man never turns down a drink." he says before tilting the drink back and swallowing as much as he can until he needs to breathe.

Cespenar
2012-08-04, 02:58 AM
Markus receives the papers, folds them neatly and stuffs it in a pouch on his belt. As he reaches for the jug of orcish beer, awkwardly wondering what to do once he gets it, Forvar reaches and snatches the beer for himself.

"Mister Forvar, I think that you really shouldn't do that!" he exclaims, trying to stop him but failing to reach before he takes a huge mouthful. Not that he doubted Forvar's constitution, but something about 'orcish beer' and 'no one else wants to drink it' sounded fishy and definitely unsanitary.

Jacior
2012-08-06, 12:29 AM
Aron nods to the old orcish man as he hands the papers in his hand over to the scraggly teenager. He briefly entertained the thought that he would not end up the greatest liability on this trip. Maybe Markus would show him up in that particular aspect and keep attention away from himself. That'd be nice. But it's very unlikely. He hung his head in shame for something that might not even happen and sighed.