PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Thieves [D20 3.5] [IC2]

Ashpan
2012-07-05, 07:12 AM
Each of you wakes up to find a piece of paper held to the inside of your door by a small dagger, in a place where there was no note or dagger when you went to bed the night before. There is no signs around of anything else having been disturbed in the night, and if not for the obvious presence of the note there would be no indication that anyone had been there at all.

Looking at the note, you read:

You have been selected for a job. Come to The Bloody Fist in the Docks area at 6pm tonight and ask for Joe. We need not remind you that secrecy is of the utmost importance, and you are not to tell anyone else about this

As the time arrives, you make your way to the tavern, and on entering you ask for Joe as directed. Each of you is then directed to a small room in the back, where you find the others waiting. Once the last of you arrives, a barmaid enters with a slip of paper and leaves it on the table in the middle of the room, and leaves again without saying a word. Looking at this piece of paper, you read:

You are directed to obtain an item of value from each of Tomas Sioheen, Helve Urtrace and Rhazbos Redbridle. The item that you choose to obtain is left to your discretion, but must be an item that is held of personal value to the owner. The order of your achievements is also left to your discretion, as is the means that you use to obtain the item. Once you have all three items, return to this very room. You have at most two weeks to return here with the items.

It is absolutely imperative that the entire job remains a secret, and that nobody knows what you are attempting to achieve. If news of your exploits becomes known, or of your company with us then you will have nowhere to hide.

TheDon
2012-07-05, 10:41 AM
Eltiln looks around the table at the people he will be working with. He wished Florance was with him, however establishments usualy frowned at bringing in giant rats. He knew she was very close by however, hiding somewhere."Well, since we're going to be working together, I am Eltiln. You can refer to me as such, or as hey you, or whatever else you'd rather call me. If you're wondering about the smell, nature called so I answered." Eltiln covers his mouth as he snickers, trying not to laugh too loudly at his own joke.

ji9zo
2012-07-05, 12:23 PM
As the half-drow enters the relative security of the back room he lowers his hood and looks around the rest of the group. He lets out an awkward chuckle at the druid's joke, but quickly stops himself when he realize he really does stink.

"Eh... Ahem. Yazeth."

He nods his head slightly after he speaks, as if he were bowing with his head.

"Does anyone recognize the names?"

TheDon
2012-07-05, 02:41 PM
"Can't say that I do, I assumed some kind of local noble."

Abemad
2012-07-05, 03:08 PM
Giving Eltiln an ironic smile, Simon sits down and reads the document again.

That would be my guess as well, or maybe merchants. In any case, we should begin scouting out their respective homes immediatly, and then think of some plan when we have more information... It says we have two weeks tops, so I say we should try to do it in one, since that would leave us with enough time for any unforseen complications.

TheDon
2012-07-06, 05:31 PM
"Depending who they are we might have to do this even more quickly or slow. If we think they'll notice something is missing and they know each other, then there's a chance they'll talk. Or do it more slowly depending on their defence systems.

Either way, the first step would be to find out who they are. Does anyone have trust worthy contacts in the city? I'm afraid the rats won't be very forth coming about this one. Or is there a place we could go to where they would have land ownership records? We should be able to find their names and addresses there...."

ji9zo
2012-07-06, 09:04 PM
"I'll ask around, see what I can find out about them. Maybe we split up. Meet back here later. Some of us ask around town, the rest try and find their land ownership records like he said."

Yazeth eyes the so far silent member of the group for a moment.

"What do you think?"

TheDon
2012-07-08, 10:27 AM
Eltiln nods at Yazeth "Very well, I shall try to find some type clerical office to see where that would be located."

TheDon
2012-07-09, 02:05 AM
Sorry for double post

Eltiln heads out of the small room, most of the stench, thankfully, leaving with him and heads for the bar. Once there he addresses the bartender, doing his best to appear inebriated . "Sho, I haf a bit of a... rrrrandom question for ya... Sho... Me and my neighbour, well, we're arguin', ya see? Over where tha pro.. prrooperrrrty line is, ya see? And... clearly he'sh wrong. Sho, I want to prove him wrong, ya see? Ish there a... place... where they keep, you know, all the land ownersssship records in town... or somethin'?"

Ashpan
2012-07-09, 05:47 AM
Sorry for double post

Eltiln heads out of the small room, most of the stench, thankfully, leaving with him and heads for the bar. Once there he addresses the bartender, doing his best to appear inebriated . "Sho, I haf a bit of a... rrrrandom question for ya... Sho... Me and my neighbour, well, we're arguin', ya see? Over where tha pro.. prrooperrrrty line is, ya see? And... clearly he'sh wrong. Sho, I want to prove him wrong, ya see? Ish there a... place... where they keep, you know, all the land ownersssship records in town... or somethin'?"

The barkeeper visibly recoils from you as you arrive at the bar, clearly uncomfortable about either the smell, or the apparent inebriation. Clear off you! You're scaring off the others!

TheDon
2012-07-09, 12:11 PM
"Oi! Come now... Jusht answer me, and I'll jusht go on my own, ya see? Won't even have tha get tha bouncers involved, ya see? Way quicker that way, ya see? Every one wins"

Abemad
2012-07-09, 01:47 PM
Wow, I could really use some fresh air right about now, that guy sure stinks... We could just go to one of the finer taverns, asking for directions? If we say we have a delivery for them, no one will suspect a thing...

Ashpan
2012-07-09, 02:12 PM
Just get gone! Before I get you gone forcibly.

ji9zo
2012-07-10, 07:17 AM
As Yazeth leaves the back room he once again lifts his hood to shroud his face.

"Don't cause any trouble now."

Yazeth chuckles.

"Meet me back here at midnight, that gives you plenty of time to find out what you can, and will give me plenty of time to ask around the taverns and such."

The Half-Drow then begins gathering any information he can about the first man on the list, Tomas Sioheen.

Gathering information [roll0] on Tomas Sioheen for [roll1] hours. I'll put the rest in the OOC, depending on how much time I have left.

Ashpan
2012-07-10, 07:36 AM
Yazeth

Asking around, you slowly piece together some details about Tomas. From what people have told you, he is involved either in the Church of Cyric, The Unseen, or possibly both. There are also rumours about involvements with him and the Church of Talona, and with the Druuth’s war against the Lords of Waterdeep though nobody really knows for sure.

Helve Urtrace is a much easier name to trace down. Most people know at least the name, if not more. He is the Senior Armsmaster of the City Watch, and is responsible for all of the weapons owned and used by the officers of the watch. He is also known to have a wizard daughter who works in the Watch - often alongside him. He's known to have a particular attachment to a Rod of Smiting that he always carries whenever he is on duty.

Abemad
2012-07-10, 01:58 PM
Allright, midnight it is

Simon leaves the inn a few minutes after the half-drow, taking a second to whisper the new meeting time to Eltiln outside of the tavern.

Allright, since I have no idea about who Yazeth is trying to dig up information about, I'll roll 1d3 to decide who i'm doing(1 is tomas, 2 is helve and 3 is rhazbos), and use the rest of the day gathering infomation about him(minus time for a small meal).

Mystery-victim: [roll0]
Gather Information: [roll1]

Ashpan
2012-07-10, 03:17 PM
Simon

Asking around, you find a man who is convinced that Tomas was previously a slave of a Calimite, and it is from this past that he has a hatred for anything to do with the church of Talona. Another person overhears this and chimes in, claiming that he is also secretly involved in a war against the Lords of Waterdeep, but most people who have even heard this story think it's nothing but malicious rumour...

TheDon
2012-07-10, 05:18 PM
Eltiln acknowledges the new meeting time and raises his arms in frustration at the bartender before leaving. He asks random passer bys to see if he can find where the building where he could find property lines.

Ashpan
2012-07-11, 06:16 AM
Eltiln

Most people you ask end up confessing that they'd have no idea where to go to find this kind of information formally, as it's something that typically doesn't come up. General consensus seems to be that if anyone would know the information it would be amongst the Lords of Waterdeep, and that the office of Piergeiron the Paladinson would be the best place to start.

TheDon
2012-07-11, 03:33 PM
Eltiln returns empty handed to the meeting place.

ji9zo
2012-07-13, 11:54 AM
Once everyone is back, Yazeth shares what he's learned with the rest of the group.

"It isn't much to go on, but it should get us started."

Abemad
2012-07-14, 06:54 AM
Simon listens to Yazeth's information, adding what little he discovered.

OCC I assume that some time during the information gathering, the location of our targets houses came up?

I Guess the next logical step is for us to decide on who we visit first, and focus on him. Number of guards, possible ways of entry, and all that.

TheDon
2012-07-14, 12:19 PM
"I have a spell that lets me send a spider in and see through it's eyes for roughly a minute for preliminary search, if it's any use."

Abemad
2012-07-16, 05:48 AM
I guess that would prove useful... I suggest we start with Helve, he is probably the easiest of our marks, considering he is a guardsman. It should be relatively simple to find him, and shadow him.

TheDon
2012-07-16, 09:52 AM
Eltiln looks thoughtful for a minute. "We could hire a courrier to take him some baked goods from a "secret admirer" while we watch the guard house, this way he'll have to come and get it and we'll see his face."

ji9zo
2012-07-18, 09:30 PM
"As good a plan as any. But how will the courier know where to find him? We should ask around for the rest of the night, until the inns close. Maybe we'll find something useful. Shall we meet here again tomorrow?"

He drums his fingers on the table awkwardly, still somewhat put off by the rank smell following his companion around.

TheDon
2012-07-19, 03:01 PM
"I was just thinking, the courrier can ask around without looking suspicious and drawing attention."

Abemad
2012-07-20, 03:54 AM
Wouldn't it be better to involve as few people as possible? Shouldn't make that much of a difference if one of us poked around, or if someone else did it for us...

TheDon
2012-07-21, 06:11 PM
"Sure, whatever suits you. Do we want to head to the barrak now in case he has the night shift?"

ji9zo
2012-07-23, 12:24 PM
"That's certainly a possibility. Could you get that spider of yours to sneak inside and take a look around?"

TheDon
2012-07-24, 08:26 AM
"Of course, do we have a physical description of him?"

ji9zo
2012-07-24, 10:13 AM
"He'll be carrying a fancy magic rod. That's what I heard anyway. And he might be with his daughter. Either of those would be a good indication of his identity."

TheDon
2012-07-24, 06:38 PM
"Fair enough, meet you back here in an hour I suppose" Eltiln leaves the meeting place and goes to the barrack. He quickly walks by it to see where he could conveniently dump the spider without attracting too much attention, mostly looking for open windows or some such.

TheDon
2012-07-28, 10:04 AM
Eltiln, realizing that he has no idea which barrack they live in, instead heads toward the local sage office, the stench following him. "Good day, sirs. I'm with the department of waste management. I have had complaints of drainage problems, however those people didn't provide me with an address, would you be able to figure that out for us? I've been authorized to spend up to 7 gold on this."

ji9zo
2012-07-28, 11:30 AM
Yazeth approaches the barkeeper, smiling slightly. "One of your most average and lukewarm mugs of ale, if you please." The half-drow calmly slides three gold pieces across the counter. "And a question, regardless of whether you do or not."

His mouth curls further upwards as he waits to guage the barkeep's reaction to the gold.

Ashpan
2012-07-29, 08:46 AM
Eltlin

7 whole gold coins, eh? Last of the big spenders you are. Well, I guess I can see what I can do for you...

Yazeth

The man behind the bar glances at the coins, and at the drow, and just shrugs. Slipping the gold into his pocket, he draws a pint of what might possibly have been called ale at one point in its life, but now would most generously be called liquid. And what'll you be wanting to know?

TheDon
2012-07-29, 11:23 PM
Eltiln shrugs "I work for the city AND it's the waste management department, we got huge budget down there... Shall I come back tomorrow or you think you can get the information quickly?" Eltiln provides the sage with the 3 names.

ji9zo
2012-07-30, 05:08 PM
"I saw a pretty young thing walking around town, this morning. Heard she was part of the watch- a wizard too- and daughter of one of the higher ups."

He swirls the liquid around in his mug but doesn't drink from it, keeping his eyes fixed on the barman.

"You know who I mean? Of course you do. But do you know where a young man like myself might go to... pursue... such a woman? If you catch my meaning, that is."

The half-drow is now grinning teeth at the man beneath the shade of his hood.

Ashpan
2012-07-31, 06:12 AM
Yazeth
I assume you're not talking about Lassree? You'd be advised to stay away from her. You even know who her father is? And if he were to catch the likes of you chasing after his only daughter, well, I wouldn't want to see what was left of you...

Eltiln
I shouldn't... Not without work orders... but the man doesn't look totally convinced as he's saying it

ji9zo
2012-07-31, 07:48 AM
"Then let's just hope he doesn't catch me."

Yazeth chuckles.

"So can you tell me where I can find her?"

TheDon
2012-07-31, 10:27 AM
Eltiln sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose. "I understand, but I need an address to get a work order. I'm stuck in a paperwork loop that won't end for months and I'm trying to get this done quicker, anyway we can forgo the work order this time?" Eltiln looks, hopeful, at the man.

Ashpan
2012-08-02, 06:10 AM
Eltlin
Well, I dunno... Go on, I know how it can be... These paperwork rules all make life so much harder than they should be... What was it you were after?

Yazeth
Well, it's your life. Or not, as the case may be. You're best bet would be over at the palace baracks, if she's not out on the streets

TheDon
2012-08-02, 12:45 PM
"Well I need the addresses of... uhh... Tomas Sioheen, Helve Urtrace and Rhazbos Redbridle. They're the ones who made complaints about sewer back spill near or at their houses. Boss thinks they're important, so instead of waiting for them to put in the complaint properly with addresses and all, he wants me to do something about it" Eltiln sighs.

ji9zo
2012-08-02, 08:05 PM
"Much appreciated."

Yazeth nods at the barman before rejoining Simon and handing him his mug of something.

"The palace barracks might make a good starting point. But lets wait for the foul smelling one to return, shall we?"

Abemad
2012-08-03, 07:40 AM
Thanks, and yes, lets wait for him, he might have more information.

Simon takes a pause for a sip from his drink.

Besides, he's the one who can send in the spider, no reason for us to risk our necks when we can risk a spider.

ji9zo
2012-08-08, 12:55 PM
"Well said. Let's hope he's back soon."

Yazeth chuckles, taking a seat nearby and keeping an eye out for the druid.