PDA

View Full Version : creative with junk

Mr White
2012-07-05, 04:30 PM
I'm actually in my first ever D&D game. Sure I've played some RPG's on my computer and some boardgames that were similar in concept but nothing with the the same potential for the players to get 'creative'.

I've read some threads about simple and or cheap things that can (help) do amazing things with just smart application. Some marbles can replicate the grease spell, a handful of dirt can make invisible things visible or blind an opponent.

I'm sure there are countless things that can be done with what you can get (almost) for free.

Yukitsu
2012-07-05, 05:41 PM
Things I've used in game were iron pot lids, cubes of sugar, thin strips of lead, friendly ants, ladders, wash basins, oil, manacles, kitchen knives, small mirrors, files, diaries, pitchers of water and probably other things I can't remember. Basically, whenever in a situation where you're stuck on what to do, a quick look around for equipment and stuff that can be used as equipment can get you through some real scrapes.

HunterColt22
2012-07-05, 05:45 PM
Never, ever underestimate water. We nearly flooded an entire room once to pinpoint an invisible enemy's location. Also if you ever get a hold of a wand with a lot of charges on it and need to blow something up quick, break the wand, the look on the DM's face when you tell him what you want to do is priceless.

whibla
2012-07-05, 06:00 PM
No rogue in the party? Doomed to die in a trap infested dungeon?

Take a few pigs along with you, when you go...with the added advantage that there's bacon for breakfast...

Invader
2012-07-05, 06:05 PM
If you have a problem a 10ft pole can't fix...it can't be fixed :smallbiggrin:

Zombulian
2012-07-05, 07:42 PM
Now I know this is less "creative use of items" but one of my favorite feats in the Aberration Blood chain is the Scavenging Gullet feat.

You gain nourishment from eating any organic material, despite its freshness or source. You gain a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves to resist the effect of ingested poisons, as well as on Fortitude saves to resist diseases caused by ingested substances (such as spoiled food).

Find a dumpster in every town and you never have to order inn food again!

TuggyNE
2012-07-05, 09:22 PM
Also if you ever get a hold of a wand with a lot of charges on it and need to blow something up quick, break the wand, the look on the DM's face when you tell him what you want to do is priceless.

Which ruleset does this assume? Because that doesn't work in 3.5, I know. ("Only certain items, including the staff of the magi and the staff of power, are capable of being used for a retributive strike." Wands are not included.)

Ravendoer
2012-07-05, 09:36 PM
10ft ladder, very helpful

chaotic water (arm&equip) really shuts up paladins

pitch fork, really helps to blend in with the angry mob

20lb keg of gunpowder (DMG pg145 DM never let me get near ships magazine again ) if you cant find ways to use this to get you out of trouble then your not trying. from stubborn doors to tricky diplomatic negotiations never let me down

Darrin
2012-07-06, 07:04 AM
I've read some threads about simple and or cheap things that can (help) do amazing things with just smart application. Some marbles can replicate the grease spell, a handful of dirt can make invisible things visible or blind an opponent.

Sounds like you've already talked to Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101). That's more or less my go-to guide for how to break a dungeon in half with only 100 GP.

I'm sure there are countless things that can be done with what you can get (almost) for free.

Shapesand! Oh, if I only knew what the editors were smoking when they let that one slip through...

On the old BG boards, there's also the Complete MacGuyver (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11066.0) guide... looks like it hasn't migrated to the minmax boards yet.

HunterColt22
2012-07-06, 12:12 PM
Which ruleset does this assume? Because that doesn't work in 3.5, I know. ("Only certain items, including the staff of the magi and the staff of power, are capable of being used for a retributive strike." Wands are not included.)

Personally I don't think it does, this is taken from my current DM who has warned us time and again to never break magic items considering what they do, which in his eyes is make a big boom. He has been playing since 1st edition I think, and since they never really implemented a rule stating otherwise after 2nd editions magic items go boom if broken, he keeps that up.

Also shape stone, what a funny little spell. One of sessions a few months ago.

DM: "You discover a statue of a god."

Palidan: "Detect Evil."

DM: "Lots and lots of evil."

Palidan: "Knowledge Religion, 30"

DM "It's a statue of Nerull."

Palidan: "Don't touch the statue."

Druid: "Stone Shape. I stone shape, the statue of Nerull, into.... a big old penis."

DM: ".... You feel a cold presence over your shoulder."

We all then proceeded to die from laughter.

That_guy_there
2012-07-06, 01:07 PM
No rogue in the party? Doomed to die in a trap infested dungeon?

Take a few pigs along with you, when you go...with the added advantage that there's bacon for breakfast...

Oh, you wonderfully, bacony genius! I usually just let summoned creatures (and/ or the barbarian) set off the traps... but the idea of having "free" bacon?! Amazing!

As for the OP, I carry around a whole lot of junk as a "standard adventuring kit" (Saddlebags (2 sets), 50ft silk rope, Flint & Steel, Grapple Hook, 10 pitons, hammer, 5 torches, whetstone, 2 sacks, Earplugs, saw, 6 bags chalk powder, Pulley, 2 Waterskins, Mules (2), drill, compass, Oil (10 flasks), chalk (3pcs), week trail rations, Signal horn, 50 twine, fish hook, magnet, 50' hemp rope, Signet Ring, Bedroll, Cart, 2 days feed, riding saddle) and just recently managed to use the needle and magnet to pull the time honored "Survivalist Compass".

My Dm actually had a problem with that requiring a Survival roll for my character to figure it out. And yet he has no qualms when i used shirukens and pitons to wedge a door closed. go figure.

Zale
2012-07-06, 01:16 PM
A decanter of endless water, a bag of tricks, sovereign glue and a funnel.

Alone, they are useful.

Together, they are.. a Badger-Launcher (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-5/).

Mr White
2012-07-08, 04:57 AM
Thanks guys.

I have some great stuff here to read over and implement.

nedz
2012-07-08, 01:39 PM
Oh, you wonderfully, bacony genius! I usually just let summoned creatures (and/ or the barbarian) set off the traps... but the idea of having "free" bacon?! Amazing!

Well you really need a flaming sword for the stylish instant sliced cooked bacon, but a frying pan will do. Frying pans have a number of other uses too.

Studoku
2012-07-08, 04:47 PM
If you have a problem a 10ft pole can't fix...
Get a 15ft pole.

Ninja PieKing
2012-07-08, 05:43 PM
This is a great thread also get a water clock

nedz
2012-07-08, 08:52 PM
Get a 15ft pole.

That's 4' longer than you need.

There is an old trick where you buy an 11' pole. This will do everything a 10' pole will do, plus cover those situations where the module designer has arranged for a 10' pole to be not quite long enough.

Invader
2012-07-08, 08:59 PM
Get a 15ft pole.

:smalltongue:

_flint_
2012-07-08, 09:25 PM
A decanter of endless water, a bag of tricks, sovereign glue and a funnel.

Alone, they are useful.

Together, they are.. a Badger-Launcher (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-5/).

Added to signature

This is a great thread also get a water clock

Water clocks are way too expensive compared to a free survival check. Not to mention that in the PHB they even say that knowing the exact time isn't very useful seeing as not many other people own a water clock

gorfnab
2012-07-09, 01:39 AM
4gp = 1 square yard of linen. If your DM is lenient see if you can have this be 1 square yard of terrycloth instead. Then you can be a really hoopy frood.