PDA

View Full Version : New Official Character (Sorry for all the threads): Goblin Gunslinger. Need Help [PF]

Tokuhara
2012-07-05, 11:28 PM
After the fiasco from earlier in the week, my GMs and I have come to an agreement. That said, the class I prefer to play has already being played. So, I say it's time to try something new.

I decided on a Goblin Gunslinger. He's level 3, no archetypes (mostly due to GM rules, but whatever) and am really liking the fluff I can accomplish.

However, my crunch is sorely lacking. We are in a world that guns are rare and my character is one of 4 in the world who can make and use guns. I currently have a single pistol (too expensive to make a new one) and has quilted armor.

Here's the info so far:

Race: Goblin
Class: Gunslinger 3 (Favored Class Bonus: +1 to Confirm Critical Hits with Firearms)

Ability Scores:
Strength: 6 -2
Dexterity: 22 +6
Constitution: 12 +1
Intelligence: 10 +0
Wisdom: 18 +4
Charisma: 6 -2

HP: 33
AC: 18, 17 (T), 11 (FF)
Initiative: +10
BAB: +9
Saves: +5, +9, +6
Grit Pool: 4

Skills:
Perception: 9 [5+4]
Craft: Gunsmith: 5 [5+0]
Craft: Alchemy: 5 [5+0]
Acrobatics: 11 [5+6]
Intimidate: 2 [4-2]
Knowledge: Local: 4 [4+0]
Sleight of Hand: 10 [4+6]
Stealth: 14 [4+6+4]

Feats:
Gunsmithing [Bonus]
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload

Traits:
Anatomist - +1 trait bonus to confirm Critical Hits
Killer – Deal Critical Modifier to Critical Hit Damage

I realize my two feats aren't amazing, but both are utility feats, especially considering I only use one pistol (choosing reload speed over damage).

My three questions:

1. What should I do for the Long-Term? I know I want to do Gunslinger 20, but feats are kinda unplanned right now. I know I want to take Extra Grit and the "Archery Line," but at the same time, a few grit feats are lovely. What are your picks for "Best Combo." I read the guide, which is sadly incomplete, and listened to the Gamer's Guide to Pathfinder podcast on Firearms, which contradicts the guide.

2. Gear. I have a 600 gold budget (minus 100 for my armor). I eventually want to make a Dragon Pistol and a Pepperbox (being pistol-oriented), but our rule is that since most spellcasters have never even heard of a firearm, they have no idea how to enchant it, so Masterwork is my best. However, they can enchant bullets (seems like a waste), so what are some good gear options?

3. Fluff. Yes I know that these forums are Crunch-Oriented, but my GM is clamoring for a story, so if anyone can, from what I have already, come up with a basis for a story for him based on race, class, feats and traits that can spur me into a great backstory, I appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

avr
2012-07-05, 11:43 PM
For the fluff, he's obviously originally a pickpocket. Whether you want to start with him successfully stealing a gun & teaching himself, or being caught and the gunslinger who catches him deciding to teach him is the question.

NeoSeraphi
2012-07-05, 11:43 PM
Your gunslinger's Base Attack Bonus is not +9. Perhaps you meant "Total Attack Modifier", which is fine, but your BAB is not +9 at level 3. It's +3.

Putting ranks in Intimidate is pretty much a waste, as the Intimidate skill inflicts a -4 Size penalty to the skill when you use it on a creature larger than you. (With an additional -4 for each Size larger than you above 1). So against a Medium creature (which you are most likely to encounter), you will have a total of -2 to the skill. Against Large and larger creatures, it will be -6, -10, etc. Save yourself the trouble, you'll never get your ranks high enough to compete with the enemy's level, especially with only 6 Charisma.

Additionally, you don't need to make Craft checks to make guns when you have the Gunsmithing feat. It says so right in the feat description. So you're wasting your skill points by putting ranks there as well.

I suggest moving your skill ranks from Intimidate and Craft (Gunsmithing) to Bluff (it's like Intimidate, but without the size penalties) and Escape Artist (because every group needs at least one person who can get out of rope).

You want to pick up Precise Shot ASAP. That -4 penalty for shooting into melee will come up almost 95% of the time you are making an attack roll, especially since your weapon has a range increment of only 20-40 ft, depending on the pistol you're using, so there's not really a chance for you to roll as a sniper. Other than that, the Far Shot feat is pretty nice for gun-wielders. Deadly Aim is like the archer's Power Attack, and can work very well when combined with the gun's ability to hit touch AC.

Tokuhara
2012-07-06, 01:10 AM
Your gunslinger's Base Attack Bonus is not +9. Perhaps you meant "Total Attack Modifier", which is fine, but your BAB is not +9 at level 3. It's +3.

Putting ranks in Intimidate is pretty much a waste, as the Intimidate skill inflicts a -4 Size penalty to the skill when you use it on a creature larger than you. (With an additional -4 for each Size larger than you above 1). So against a Medium creature (which you are most likely to encounter), you will have a total of -2 to the skill. Against Large and larger creatures, it will be -6, -10, etc. Save yourself the trouble, you'll never get your ranks high enough to compete with the enemy's level, especially with only 6 Charisma.

Additionally, you don't need to make Craft checks to make guns when you have the Gunsmithing feat. It says so right in the feat description. So you're wasting your skill points by putting ranks there as well.

I suggest moving your skill ranks from Intimidate and Craft (Gunsmithing) to Bluff (it's like Intimidate, but without the size penalties) and Escape Artist (because every group needs at least one person who can get out of rope).

You want to pick up Precise Shot ASAP. That -4 penalty for shooting into melee will come up almost 95% of the time you are making an attack roll, especially since your weapon has a range increment of only 20-40 ft, depending on the pistol you're using, so there's not really a chance for you to roll as a sniper. Other than that, the Far Shot feat is pretty nice for gun-wielders. Deadly Aim is like the archer's Power Attack, and can work very well when combined with the gun's ability to hit touch AC.

My bad on the BAB/TAM mix up. These are from my notes, which lack my size benefits as well.

DM said that I have to use the skill. His houserule. Escape artist has yet to come up in these games I've played with them. Do you get a bonus for waving a weapon in someone's face for Intimidate?

That's my level 5 feat, as well as the rest of the line there.

And my goblin is the first gunslinger ever. More looking for how a half-wit numbskull came up with a gun.

Tokuhara
2012-07-06, 09:21 PM
Update: What cowboy would be complete without a horse. However, since gobs hate Horses, I decided on a Battle Bird skinned as a Chocobo. I have the necessary points in Ride, so a Goblin with a Pistol riding a Jet Black Chocobo. Just wish it could be Half-Dragon...