PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Martial Study feat and Initiator Level

theonesin
2012-07-06, 11:12 AM
I've been hearing it from someone in one of my DnD groups that the Martial Study feat does not require you to have the listed initiator level to take it; you just have to meet the requirements(x number of that school's maneuvers).

Is this actually correct?

Boci
2012-07-06, 11:14 AM
Its depends on whether you define the minimum initiator level as a requirement. I personally would, but I think by RAW it isn't. So, yeah, but RAW I think it is true.

HunterOfJello
2012-07-06, 11:45 AM
The exact word "prerequisite" is used in a somewhat odd for in the ToB.

Under the specifically titled "Prerequisite" section it says:

PREREQUISITE
In addition to meeting the class and level requirements before
you can learn a maneuver, you must meet a certain set of
requirements to be able to choose that maneuver as one you
know. Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of
meeting a prerequisite to learn a new maneuver.
You can’t learn a maneuver unless you gain a level in a
martial adept class, a level in a prestige class that grants
maneuvers known, or you take the Martial Study feat.
Maneuvers Known: Some of the more powerful maneuvers
require you to learn one or more other maneuvers in the
same discipline before they can be selected.

The paragraph still isn't completely clear, but it does list the fact that you have a class and level requirement to learn a maneuver. This is listed in the prerequisite section and can therefore be interpreted as a prerequisite to learning the maneuver. Therefore, you must have the appropriate class (or feat), level requirement, and prerequisite maneuvers when choosing out a new maneuver.

~

Even if the phrasing and wording of the paragraphs are unclear for what the book means by "prerequisites" I feel that it is glaringly obvious that the developers did not intend for a level 1 character to be able to take the feat Martial Study (Mountain Tombstone Strike). Giving a level 1 character the ability to use a level 9 maneuver that does 2d6 constitution damage once per encounter was definitely not their intention.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-06, 12:00 PM
Per HunterOfJello's quote from ToB page 44, you do indeed need a minimum initiator level to select a maneuver via Martial Study, per the section on initiator levels for multiclass characters on ToB page 39. A character with no levels in initiator classes has an initiator level equal to one half of his total class levels.

Boci
2012-07-06, 12:09 PM
Per HunterOfJello's quote from ToB page 44, you do indeed need a minimum initiator level to select a maneuver via Martial Study, per the section on initiator levels for multiclass characters on ToB page 39. A character with no levels in initiator classes has an initiator level equal to one half of his total class levels.

Isn't their a "minimum 1" clause?