PDA

View Full Version : Re: How to kill a tarrasque under level 20

Pages : 1 [2]

ShneekeyTheLost
2005-09-09, 07:20 AM
Of course, sending it to the demons would be rather like giving them a tac-nuke. They just plane-shift it right back somewhere highly populated and enjoy the carnage

Rigeld
2005-09-09, 08:28 AM
another way could be to planeshift it somewhere else, it probably wont be any more of a nuisance in one of the celestial or daemonic planes... now i understand why my DM hates me.

You have to suffer the AoOs to get to touch him, then again when you cast, then overcome his SR, then he has to fail his Will (easiest part).

To do all that is going to be higher level than the 5th or 7th level builds already posted that killed him :)

mr.bob
2005-09-09, 12:16 PM
I know plenty of way to do it at level 17.
Especially if I decide to strech the rules by using alternitive classes from dragon (some of those are really broken).

Spuddly
2005-09-09, 06:11 PM
Aren't most of you who are favoring using spells against the big guy forgetting that 30% of them are reflected back at the caster?

The_Werebear
2005-09-09, 06:18 PM
It only affects rays, lines, cones, and magic missles.

Melf's Acid Arrow is perfectly fine

Spuddly
2005-09-09, 07:32 PM
How to kill a Tarrasque under level 20:

Make sure there are more Players thand DMs. The more, the faster this will work. Levels of PCs are inconsequential.

The Tarrasque attacks. The spells fizzle, and the melee can't even break the damage reduction. The party is routed, eaten or crushed.

The Players grapple the DM and pin him. Four players should do the trick. If your DM is exceptionally large or athletic, another four players should have no problem pinning him. Inviting more players to a game vs. a Tarrasque shouldn't elicit much suspicion from the DM. One needs back up in a Tarrasque game, righ?

Once the DM is done struggling, make him an offer he can't refuse.
Either he stops throwing lame monsters at you, or you smash all his minis, curse his dice, and tear up his D&D books.

If he still protests, tie him up (or use ducktape– no rope checks involved), and take him outside. Get the player who plays a CN character with a penchant for fire and torture to try and knock a Mountain Dew can off his head with a sword. If you have eight D&D players, chances are very good that someone will have a sword.

This hasn't failed my group yet.

Jotoco
2005-09-09, 11:23 PM

Make sure there are more Players thand DMs. The more, the faster this will work. Levels of PCs are inconsequential.

The Tarrasque attacks. The spells fizzle, and the melee can't even break the damage reduction. The party is routed, eaten or crushed.

The Players grapple the DM and pin him. Four players should do the trick. If your DM is exceptionally large or athletic, another four players should have no problem pinning him. Inviting more players to a game vs. a Tarrasque shouldn't elicit much suspicion from the DM. One needs back up in a Tarrasque game, righ?

Either he stops throwing lame monsters at you, or you smash all his minis, curse his dice, and tear up his D&D books.

If he still protests, tie him up (or use ducktape– no rope checks involved), and take him outside. Get the player who plays a CN character with a penchant for fire and torture to try and knock a Mountain Dew can off his head with a sword. If you have eight D&D players, chances are very good that someone will have a sword.

I have a sword! 8)

Yeah!

But I still think my teleportation circle to some "unconfortable" place should do the trick. Teleport it to the center of Jupiter (or another planet, I don't know the astrology of D&D universes), where it will be crushed. Gain a few more levels and some years latter wish it dead.

Rigeld
2005-09-10, 12:59 AM
I have a sword! 8)

Yeah!

But I still think my teleportation circle to some "unconfortable" place should do the trick. Teleport it to the center of Jupiter (or another planet, I don't know the astrology of D&D universes), where it will be crushed. Gain a few more levels and some years latter wish it dead.

Fyi, he gets his SR and a Will save vs the Circle.. Trap the Soul and the acid arrows he doesnt

VariaVespasa
2005-09-10, 02:17 AM

YOU'RE HIRED!!! :)

*Hugs*
Varia

chrek
2005-09-12, 09:48 AM
The concensus from my part this weekend? "Alright, the devils just unlesaed a Tarrasque on the Prime material plane. We're all deceint level, we've got a lich spellcaster with us, what should we do?"

*A moment while each member of the party looks at the others*

"RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!"

...so much for an interesting post today. Maybe we'll kill it this weekend.

Rigeld
2005-09-12, 09:52 AM
lich spellcaster with us,

And you ran? Please tell me he was out of spells. He couldve soloed the thing.

Lysander
2005-09-12, 11:17 AM
I don't suppose you could craft a really big bag of holding, prop it open on one side using a wood scaffolding, and then just make a trail of ground beef leading into it.

Spuddly
2005-09-12, 02:13 PM
Can you cut your way out of a bag of holding?

Sacrath
2005-09-12, 02:19 PM
Can you cut your way out of a bag of holding?
Thats a great question, I'll make a new thread so this one doesn't derail.

:Edit:
Even if you could, it would destroy the bag, and RAW send Big T flying through some random spot in the Astral Plane, not a lot to eat there.

chrek
2005-09-12, 03:35 PM
And you ran? Please tell me he was out of spells. He couldve soloed the thing.

Never read the lich Entry, have you? All it does is give them a ton of hit points, and some decient bonuses to hit, and all they have to be is 12th level. It's not like a 12th level spell caster is garaunteed to be able to touch the tarasque, let alone kill him on his own.

My own goblin character could have done atleast 2d8, 2d4 and 10d6 to the thing a round, but that's only going to soften up his regeneration. We honestly had no good way to take it down, so we decided to regroup, and take sometime to lay down an actual plan.

Rigeld
2005-09-12, 03:43 PM
Never read the lich Entry, have you? All it does is give them a ton of hit points, and some decient bonuses to hit, and all they have to be is 12th level. It's not like a 12th level spell caster is garaunteed to be able to touch the tarasque, let alone kill him on his own.

Spells

A lich can cast any spells it could cast while alive.

And im assuming you were higher than 12th level.. even if not, there are ways to kill him at 12th level, many in this thread. Youd have to be ~16th for a lich to be in the party, higher if this wasnt the first thing thrown at you... seriously that lich could probably have soloed it.

chrek
2005-09-12, 04:45 PM
Well, I never have seen any real viable, or atleast nothing in here that's not AMAZINGLY involved and in alot of cases expensive. I mean seriously, 4 walls of force to encase it, and fill that with water? No Cleric.

Extra big bag of holding? I don't think the lich is all that exceited about losing enough XP to get him back to 1st level just to send Mr T to the astral plane, and other than that, his saves are far too high for a spell caster. The best way to kill the T is to put him against an army of decient level monsters that have a decient chances of beating his DR.

Hmmm...I'll have to ponder on that for a little while, actually....Maybe I can use that next week...there's a couple thousand villagers out there that owe our party their continued existance.

Rigeld
2005-09-12, 05:12 PM
Hmmm...I'll have to ponder on that for a little while, actually....Maybe I can use that next week...there's a couple thousand villagers out there that owe our party their continued existance.

If youve got some time (and a Bard), look at Trap the Soul to turn him into a little bitty gem. (little bitty compared to what he was)

The Acid Arrow is also a good idea. The easiest way to kill him is no SR no save spells; theres lots of conjuration spells that do that.

Crazy_Eben
2005-09-12, 07:25 PM
For cheap and conventional, the Bunch o' Acid Flasks stuck in sack after being treated with Shrink Item is a good way to deal tons of acid damage with one attack. Your DM might argue about it, but there's no real why it shouldn't work, except for balance reasons ;)

Spuddly
2005-09-12, 07:39 PM
On the acid flask issue– fill them with 1/3 reduced Universal Solvent which melts through any substance.

Lysander
2005-09-12, 10:30 PM
This was a crazy idea I had: what if you put a few hundred explosive runes on a giant slab of stone and then have someone botch an area casting of dispel magic on it when it's next to the Tarrasque? That's a heck of a lot of 6d6s. And you could do this at level 5. Might take a year to set it up but level five!!!!

Spuddly
2005-09-12, 10:50 PM
Why not just do a hugantic cavern full? Then the mountain would collapse on it....

Do they do full fire damage, or half?

Lysander
2005-09-12, 11:03 PM
There's a reflex save for half damage if you're within the ten foot blast radius, but not if you're close enough to read it. So no reflex save if you actually get it to touch the Tarrasque. And it does force damage.

There are a lot of ways to do this. For instance, just write them on the ground, on a hard surface that can bear the weight of the Tarrasque. And the runes are pretty small, even if the ground cracks they'll probably still be intact. Or you could draw them on a bunch of trees and then detonate them as the Tarrasque marches through, toppling them. Draw em on a boulder, and catapult it at the Tarrasque from behind, crappy dispel it when it hits. There's no limit on ways to get the runes within a foot of it.

Spuddly
2005-09-12, 11:27 PM
Why not just get every mage in the kingdom inscribing explosive runes on boths sides of a piece of cloth that's 80 feet wide and three miles long. Then role it up, get it near the Tarrasque, dispel magic.

Clossal damage. Probably reach nuclear fusion.

Lysander
2005-09-12, 11:40 PM
One magician could do it in a year, even with just one rune per day. Someone with more spells per day, or a group of people could do it in far less time. If it was a kingdom wide effort you could make more than enough runes, lots of back-up in case some are destroyed before detonation or if the Tarrasque isn't hurt badly enough for one reason or another. There's no reason you couldn't cover a town in these runes and blast the whole thing with several simultaneously crap dispels when the Tarrasque comes to trash it.

Spuddly
2005-09-12, 11:52 PM
How much space does an explosive rune take up?

Let's say 1 square inch for 1d6 damage.

A roll of that brown paper you use in the bathroom is 36' x 1000' long, which is 36•12•1000 sqaure inches, or 432,000 square inches.

That's 432,000d6 damage. Even if DnD paper was only 1/10 as good as ours, meaning it could only be 1/10 the length, that's still 43,200d6, Major overkill.

And that's in a very small bundle.

To write one rune a day for a total of 43,200 runes, that'd take one mage 118 years.

Crazy_Eben
2005-09-13, 01:11 AM
The only problem with Explosive Runes is that the spell has an entry of "SR: Yes".

Lysander
2005-09-13, 01:36 AM
Explosive Runes
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information. The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw).

You and any characters you specifically instruct can read the protected writing without triggering the runes. Likewise, you can remove the runes whenever desired. Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic or erase spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

Note: Magic traps such as explosive runes are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find the runes and Disable Device to thwart them. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 28 for explosive runes.

Spell resistance doesn't come into play because the Tarrasque doesn't set it off. The resistance is only to see if someone reading it triggers it. I just noticed the part that said the object can't weigh more than ten pounds, so maybe that would rule out covering a boulder with it, but there's no reason not to hurl a barrage of 1 pound rocks with several runes on each and poorly area dispel the entire bunch of them at once. Each rune deals 6d6 damage. En masse you can do a lot of damage really quickly. Even assuming that each rune does only the minimum 6 damage, you can get a thousand damage with only 167 runes. In reality it's likely to do a lot more, especially if you increase the number of runes used.

Rebuttals for possible arguments againsts the Runebomb:

Q: The spell says you trace runes on a "book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information." I don't interpret that to include rocks and walls and trees! Why would I allow this?

A: Fine, just write each rune on a piece of paper and litter them on the ground in front of the Tarrasque. Glue em' to the floor if you have to keep them from blowing away. Or just put them all in a chest and catapult that at the Tarrasque.

Q: Don't you think this is a bit overpowered?

A: Considering the prep work? Not really. This is literally months of work for a lone mage, or weeks of work for a team.

Q: How exactly do you expect to "botch" a casting of dispel magic?

A: Alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol.

SpiderBrigade
2005-09-13, 06:40 AM
Runebomb. I love it. A few thoughts:

The resistance is only to see if someone reading it triggers it
What are you basing that on?

Triggering the runes: have the runes cast by a level 15+ caster (impossible for level 5 to dispel). The 5th-level-only version can still fail 50% of the time. Just double the number of runes. Or, use Erase (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/erase.htm) which only has a 35% chance of success if cast by a level 1 wizard.

Power: in 1 day, a 20th-level wizard using metamagic could create a book dealing roughly 876-1656 damage (average 1266 damage) when his level 1 cohort fails to dispel it. Even if you assume the explosive runes take up one page for each casting, it's a slim 38-page pamphlet.

A group of 4 level 5s with 16 INT could make a 1716d6 book (~858-5148 damage, assuming 50% are successfully dispelled) in just over 5 weeks of work. That's a thicker volume at 286 pages.

On a slightly related note: what would happen if you read explosive runes while under the effects of Time Stop?

Edit: If, as I believe, the Tarrasque WILL benefit from its spell resistance, 4 12th-level casters with INT 16 will need 65 days to create their Runebomb (3,365 runes to compensate for overcoming SR on a natural 20, and the 3/20 chance that their lvl 5 cohort WILL dispell each rune). If they roll perfectly, they can deal 20,190d6 damage.

Spuddly
2005-09-13, 09:21 AM
You know, if 20,190d6 force damage occurred in an area the size of a book, you'd probably fuse hydrogen nucleii resulting in a gigantic nuclear detonation.

Lysander
2005-09-13, 10:11 AM
Nah, you'd need a highly refined radioactive material to start a chain reaction in. You can't start one in paper. Besides, that many runes is way overkill. Come on, it's only a Tarrasque.

Spuddly
2005-09-13, 10:25 AM
Nah, you'd need a highly refined radioactive material to start a chain reaction in. You can't start one in paper. Besides, that many runes is way overkill. Come on, it's only a Tarrasque.

Fusion only occurs when atmoic nucleii collide at such a rate that they stick together. Typically it happens by adding hydrogen atoms. Fissile materials are used to start a fission reaction that escalates into a fusion reaction. With magic, you don't need the fission.

I could go off on a slightly more in depth explanation, but this thread is about how to kill a tarrasque, not atomic physics 8)

[edit]
And by slightly, I really do mean slightly more in depth. I honestly don't know much about nuclear physics.

The_Werebear
2005-09-13, 03:38 PM
While you are talking about the cavern idea.. Why not have someone cast reduce animal on it until it sticks, then lead it into the underdark or something. I am sure the dark elves can handle it.

Spuddly
2005-09-13, 06:49 PM
Why not have someone cast reduce animal on it until it sticks, then lead it into the underdark or something. I am sure the dark elves can handle it.

It can't see in the dark, at least.

Lysander
2005-09-13, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure trading a Tarrasque for the eternal enmity of the dark elves is a good idea.

Spuddly
2005-09-13, 10:03 PM
Dude, they're elves.

All you have to do is shine a bright light on them and they get a headache.

Wouldn't a Tarrasque rampaging in the Underdark mess a lot of stuff up?

What's the worse the dark elves could do?

Lysander
2005-09-14, 01:16 AM
Scimitars. Pointy.

The_Werebear
2005-09-14, 08:34 AM
Lots and lots of mages, high priests, demons, weapon masters, and slave fodder.. And they dont care about how many they loose to make ends meet. And when the reduce spell wears off, it becomes really big again and gets stuck in the tunnel and had to sit there while fodder runs up in batches of 100. Even if they don't beat him down,they will feed him until he explodes.

Darnon
2005-09-14, 11:40 AM
There's an idea! Pin him down, stuff a hose down his throat, and get a bunch of clerics and druids to continuously Create Water into a funnel until he explodes! And those are Cantrips, even.

Selganor
2005-09-24, 05:55 PM
Well, I never have seen any real viable, or atleast nothing in here that's not AMAZINGLY involved and in alot of cases expensive. I mean seriously, 4 walls of force to encase it, and fill that with water? No Cleric.

Apparently you missed my Level 1 solution (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1124828144 ;start=210#217) ;)

@Darnon: But even after the Tarrasque explodes into thousand tiny pieces, it can regenerate from even one of these back to full health.

Sacrath
2005-09-24, 07:31 PM
All of you who want to kill Big T by drowning I refer you to the Wizards response (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20050916a):

When the Monster Manual text says, “the tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10,” you should pay attention to the “only” part of the sentence. Besides, no DM is going to let you kill a tarrasque with a few walls of force and a raise water spell.

sikyon
2007-07-05, 11:48 AM

What about the acid arrow approach?

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-06, 12:07 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't post in threads older than 6 weeks/page three. Please see the Rules of Posting Re: Thread Necromancy. Thanks!