PDA

View Full Version : Classes to follow Master Thrower

sophosbarbaros
2012-07-06, 04:25 PM
Greetings,

My group is getting together again this weekend after a short hiatus, and I am unsure of the direction to take my character (we will be leveling up prior to this session)

I am unsure of where to take my character next.

Our party consists of a weapon focused fighter type (kensai i think), a fighter rogue (trapsmith and party face as much as we have one) barbarian (main meat shield) and my character (whisper gnome master thrower)

We are all level 12 (I think, or 13, it has been a while and I am away from my character sheet) and will be leveling up. I have everything that I enjoyed from Master thrower and took a level or two in Invisible Blade.

We are the leaders of a company of mercenaries (about 50 in total) and while it seems to make sense to take some type of stealth/infiltrator class, I am not sure I want to go that route. Our DM has asked us to not play full casters for this campaign but he is accepting of a few SU abilities if we want them.

I am just hoping for a few ideas of what classes to look at this evening that would allow me some expansion on keeping out of direct combat and using the dislocator (is that the right name for it?) ability on my daggers.

Any fun ideas?

gorfnab
2012-07-06, 04:28 PM
What is your build so far (classes, feats, and whatnot)?

Bloodstorm Blade (Tome of Battle) is awesome for throwers. It gives you free returning on your weapons thus saving you alot of GP.

sophosbarbaros
2012-07-06, 04:32 PM
I am sorry, I forgot to mention, we are not using TOB in this campaign, Core and the completes are open.

Also, i cannot remember my exact build to this point as I am away from my sheet.

eggs
2012-07-06, 04:51 PM
Peerless archer for sneak attack, full BA and ranged power attack? The first 4 levels are useful anyway; its concealment abilities are either obsolete or houserule-dependent in a 3.5 game though.

EDIT: Didn't catch the Complete-only implication. In that case, I'd stick with Rogue or Assassin.

LordotheMorning
2012-07-06, 05:57 PM
Funnily enough Bloodstorm Blade is actually terrible for your typical Master Thrower. It's a class that's great if you're a melee fighter who wants to act like a thrower, but if you already ARE a thrower, then it makes you act more like a melee fighter, which essentially strips all the perks of Master Thrower from you. You aren't missing out on anything.

You couldn't go wrong taking a few more levels of fighter honestly. Grab all those luxury feats like improved precise shot, and the whole TWF chain.

Alternatively, ask your DM about qualifying for the Whisperknife prestige class from Races of the Wild. It's meant for halflings, but the fluff is all about being an avenger for the little folk who are too weak to fend for themselves, which can easily be made to include gnomes. Heck, you've even got the word "Whisper" in your race. If the Races of... books are allowed that is... The class has full BaB (I think), Sneak Attack progression, and a whole bunch of weird thrown weapon class features.

Invisible Blade (Complete Warrior) can be decent. If your DM will allow you to feint at range, then your set. If not, then you still get a bit more melee flexibility, full BaB, and sneak attack. Taking a level in this is also a great way to qualify for Whisperknife if you don't have the sneak attack dice for it. It doesn't require any sneak attack dice to get in, but it gives you some. This is assuming you throw daggers, that is.

If you don't throw daggers, but instead some Exotic Weapon, go for Exotic Weapon Master in (I think) Complete Warrior. It gives you even more tricksies just like Master Thrower.

If you have a good int score, consider taking levels in Swashbuckler. The dagger is a finessable weapon, so RAW it qualifies for Insightful Strike. You'd want an int of at least 18 to make the most of it, but if you do, you can also make use of Invisible Blades' Int to AC class feature.

This might seem strange, but if you feel like you've already fleshed out all your damage and fighting concerns, grab two levels of warlock and take Devil's Sight and Darkness. Cast darkness on your daggers and throw them at people. That's a good way to make people mad.

I've played a Master Thrower once who went on to be the only one who survived his entire campaign (levels 1-14) and was a powerhouse from start to finish. I have a deep-seated love for this class, but honestly without support from some of the other books (and without being a halfling), you lose a lot. Without access to Dragonfire Inspiration (from some draconic book or another), Halfling Rogue substitutions from RotW, Hit-and-Run fighter variant from DotU, or Dragon Magazine for Deadeye Shot/Vital Aim, you won't have the luxury I did.

Tim Proctor
2012-07-06, 06:52 PM
This is my Master Thrower/Invisible Blade build, I hope it will help give you some ideas. We're not allowed Psionics or Tomes and a couple other anti-pun-pun things.

But the key is that this guy get the Touch Attacks without Dex so it works really well for hitting for a lot. The items aren't in order but those are the preferred ones to get.

Depending on how you're hitting I sometimes move Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories up where the Two-Weapon Fighting is because quantity over quality works best.

{table]Str 10 |Dex 13 |Con 10 |Int 15 |Wis 10 |Cha 17[/table]

{table]Level |BAB |Fort |Ref |Will |HD |Skills Pts |Special |Skills
Marshal| +0| +2| +0| +2| d6| 28| Weapon Focus (Dagger), Weapon Finesse, Skill Focus (Diplomacy), minor aura (Motivate CHA)|Bluff (Cha) 4, Knowledge (Int) Arcana, Planes, Religion, Local 4, Sense Motive 4. Perform - Dance (CHA) 4,
Marshal| +1| +3| +0| +3| d6| 7| Major aura +1 (Motivate Care:+AC)|Bluff (Cha) 5, Knowledge (Int) Arcana, Planes, Religion, Local 5, Sense Motive 5. Perform - Dance (CHA) 5,
Fighter| +2| +5| +0| +3| d10| 5| Point Blank Shot, Far Shot|Bluff (CHA) 6, Sleight of Hand (Dex) 2
Fighter| +3| +6| +0| +3| d10| 14| Precise Shot, +1 Int|Bluff (Cha) 7, Knowledge (Int) Nature 1, Planes 7, Religion 7, Local 6, Sleight of Hand (Dex) 5, Sense Motive 6.
Fighter| +4| +6| +1| +4| d10| 6||Bluff (Cha) 8, Knowledge (Int) Nature 2, Planes 8, Religion 8, Local 8
Inv Bld| +5| +6| +3| +4| d6| 8| Two-Weapon Fighting, Dagger Sneak Attack 1d6, Unfettered Defense|Bluff (Cha) 9, Knowledge (Int) Arcana 8, Nature 3, Planes 9, Religion 9, Local 9
Inv Bld| +6| +6| +4| +4| d6| 8| Bleeding Wound|Bluff (Cha) 10, Knowledge (Int) Arcana 10, Nature 5, Planes 10, Religion 10, Local 10
Inv Bld| +7| +7| +4| +5| d6| 8| +1 Cha, Dagger Sneak Attack 2d6, Uncanny Feint (move)|Bluff (Cha) 11, Knowledge (Int) Arcana 11, Nature 8, Planes 11, Religion 11, Local 11
Inv Bld| +8| +7| +5| +5| d6| 8| Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Feint Mastery|Bluff (Cha) 12, Knowledge (Int) Arcana 12, Nature 11, Planes 12, Religion 12, Local 12
Inv Bld| +9| +7| +5| +5| d6| 8| Dagger Sneak Attack 3d6, Uncanny Feint (free)|Bluff (Cha) 13, Knowledge (Int) Arcana 13, Nature 13, Planes 13, Religion 13, Local 13, Tumble 1
Mstr T| +10| +7| +7| +5| d8| 8| Quick Draw, Palm Throw|Bluff (Cha) 14, Knowledge (Int) Arcana 14, Nature 14, Planes 14, Religion 14, Local 14, Timely Misdirection
Mstr T| +11| +7| +8| +5| d8| 8| Rapid Shot, +1 Dex, Evasion|Bluff (Cha) 15, Knowledge (Int) Arcana 15, Nature 15, Planes 15, Religion 15, Local 15, Social Recovery
Mstr T| +12| +8| +8| +6| d8| 8| Two with One Blow|Bluff (Cha) 16, Diplomacy (Cha) 5, Collector of Stories
Mstr T| +13| +8 | +9| +6| d8| 8| Snatch Arrows|Bluff (Cha) 17, Sense Motive (Wis) 11, Group Fake-Out
Mstr T| +14| +8| +9| +6| d8| 8| Weapon Specialization (Dagger), Critical throw, Weak Spot|Bluff (Cha) 18, Sense Motive (Wis) 16, Group Fake-Out
Exempl| +14| +8| +9| +8| d6| 12| +1 Cha, Skill Artistry (Bluff), Skill Mastery (Bluff, Escape Artist, Sense Motive, Tumble)|Bluff (Cha) 19, Escape Artist (Dex) 8, Sense Motive (Wis) 19
Fighter| +15| +9| +9| +9| d10| 6| Ranged Weapon Mastery|Bluff (Cha) 20, Escape Artist (Dex) 12, Sense Motive (Wis) 20
Fighter| +16| +9| +9| +9| d10| 6| Knowledge Devotion|Bluff (Cha) 21, Escape Artist (Dex) 13, Sense Motive (Wis) 21
Fighter| +17| +10| +10| +10| d10| 6| Greater Two-Weapon Fighting|Bluff (Cha) 22, Escape Artist (Dex) 17, Sense Motive (Wis) 22
Marshal| +18| +10| +11| +10| d6| 8| +1 Cha, Minor Aura (Motivate Int) |Bluff (Cha) 23, Escape Artist (Dex) 23, Sense Motive (Wis) 23

[/table]

Belt of Magnificence: This sparkling metal belt projects power and authority. The belt adds a +2, +4 or +6 enhancement bonus to the wearer’s Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. Strong transmutation; CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, eagle’s splendor, fox’s cunning, owl’s wisdom; Price 25,000 gp (+2), 100,000 gp (+4) or 200,000 gp (+6).

SLIPPERS OF BATTLEDANCING
These slippers imbue the wearer with a shocking grace and a deadly fluidity in battle.
Description: These soft, open-toed slippers are made of supple leather and look very comfortable.
Activation: This item is continuously active while worn, provided that the wearer’s armor is no heavier than light. No action on the wearer’s part is required to gain the effect.
Effect: While these slippers are on the wearer’s feet, he moves with unnatural grace and alacrity, gaining an enhancement bonus of +10 feet to his land speed. The slippers also grant him a +5 competence bonus on Tumble checks.
A wearer who has at least 5 ranks in Perform (dance) accesses the true benefit of the slippers of battledancing. As long as he uses his base land speed to move (a fl y, swim, burrowing, or climb speed), he gains a +2 insight bonus on initiative checks. If he moves at least 10 feet as part of a move action, he can use his Charisma modifier instead of his Strength or Dexterity modifier for attack rolls and damage rolls with one-handed or light weapons (both melee and ranged).
Aura/Caster Level: Moderate transmutation; CL 7th. Construction: Craft Wondrous Item, 5 ranks in Perform (dance), longstrider, cat’s grace, eagle’s splendor, 16,875 gp, 1,350 XP, 33 days. Weight: 1 lb. Price: 33,750 gp.

BOLT SHIRT
Price (Item Level): 5,000 gp (9th)
Body Slot: Torso
Caster Level: 7th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 18) conjuration
Activation: Move (command)
Weight: —
Golden lightning bolts are embroidered along the sleeves of this sturdy tunic of blue linen.
You can teleport (with no chance of error) to any location within 60 feet, as long as you have both line of sight and line of effect to that destination. A harmless trail of crackling sparks traces the path from your original location to your destination, making it obvious where you have landed.
You can’t use the shirt to move into a space occupied by another creature, nor can you teleport into a solid object; if you attempt to do so, the shirt’s activation is wasted. You can bring along objects weighing up to your maximum load, but you can’t bring another creature with you. This ability functions once per day.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, dimension door.
Cost to Create: 2,500 gp, 200 XP, 5 days.

GAUNTLET OF INFINITE BLADES
Price (Item Level): 6,500 gp (10th) Body Slot: Hands Caster Level: 12th Aura: Strong; (DC 21) conjuration, Divination Activation: Swift (mental) Weight: 1 lb.
This gauntlet is made of braided mithral links.
A gauntlet of infinite blades allows you to produce a weapon at a moment’s notice. When it is activated, a dagger appears in the hand wearing the gauntlet. This ability functions as often as needed, though the dagger disappears 3 rounds after it is created. In addition, the gauntlet has 5 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges creates a more potent dagger than normal, as described below.
1 charge: +3 dagger.
3 charges: +3 dagger of seeking.
5 charges: +3 bane dagger of seeking (choose the creature type and subtype, if needed, when activating the gauntlet).
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, greater magic weapon, major creation, summon monster I, true seeing.
Cost to Create: 3,250 gp, 260 XP, 7 days.

MASK OF LIES
Price (Item Level): 4,500 gp (9th)
Body Slot: Face
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint; (DC 17)
abjuration
Activation: — and swift
(mental)
Weight: 1 lb.
This black, featureless mask has cross-shaped slits where the wearer’s eyes and mouth should be.
While wearing this mask, you gain a +5 competence bonus on Bluff checks and your alignment is disguised as if by an undetectable alignment spell. This is a continuous effect and requires no activation.
When you activate the mask, you can alter your appearance as if by a disguise self spell. This ability functions three times per day. Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, disguise self, undetectable alignment.
Cost to Create: 2,250 gp, 180 XP, 5 days.

PIERCER CLOAK
Price (Item Level): 900 gp (4th)
Body Slot: Shoulders
Caster Level: 3rd
Aura: Faint; (DC 16) transmutation
Activation: Swift (mental)
The back of this dark cloak depicts a silver spear pointed downward.
The wearer of a piercer cloak can make devastating attacks when positioned above her enemy. When you activate a piercer cloak, any attack you make on your current turn from higher ground (PH 151) deals an extra 1d6 points of damage. If you charge your enemy from at least 10 feet above him, this extra damage increases to 2d6. This benefit lasts for 1 round. This ability functions three times per day.
Lore: When the Halfling Rain came to Holtberg—the seven nights when halfling thieves pounced from rooftops onto passersby, assassinating them or knocking them out and taking every last stitch they owned— many of the thieves wore these cloaks (Knowledge [history] or Knowledge [local] DC 15).
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, bull’s strength, jump.
Cost to Create: 450 gp, 36 XP, 1 day.

RING OF
ADAMANTINE TOUCH
Price (Item Level): 6,000 gp (10th)
Body Slot: Ring
Caster Level: 12th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) transmutation
Activation: —
Three strips of adamantine form this simple band. The inner strip has a brushed metal finish, while the outer strips are polished to a shine.
While you wear this ring, your melee attacks (whether natural or with a weapon) are treated as adamantine for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Prerequisites: Forge Ring, touch of adamantine (BoED 110). Cost to Create: 3,000 gp, 240 XP, 6 days.

Ring of Protection
This ring offers continual magical protection in the form of a deflection bonus of +1 to +5 to AC.
Faint abjuration; CL 5th; Forge Ring, shield of faith, caster must be of a level at least three times greater than the bonus of the ring; Price 2,000 gp (ring +1); 8,000 gp (ring +2); 18,000 gp (ring +3); 32,000 gp (ring +4); 50,000 gp (ring +5).

Cloak of Charisma
This lightweight and fashionable cloak has a highly decorative silver trim. When in a character’s possession, it adds a +2, +4, or +6 enhancement bonus to her Charisma score.
Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, eagle’s splendor; Price 4,000 gp (+2), 16,000 gp (+4), 36,000 gp (+6); Weight 2 lb.

Headband of Intellect
This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.
Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, fox’s cunning; Price 4,000 gp (+2), 16,000 gp (+4), 36,000 gp (+6).

Ioun Stones
Deep red Sphere +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity 8,000 gp
Pink and green Sphere +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma 8,000 gp
Scarlet and blue Sphere +2 enhancement bonus to Intelligence 8,000 gp

Zsaber0
2012-07-06, 09:37 PM
I'm quite fond of a character I played not to long ago. He was a fighter/rogue/master thrower/avenging executioner. With max ranks in intimidate, the crystal mask that increase intimidation +10, and the skill trick never out numbered or some other ability to intimidate more then one person at a time,

Then, at level 1 you get an ability that causes every enemy within 30 feet of you to make a will save DC 10 + your avenging executioner level + your Cha modifier or become frightened EVERY TIME YOU DEAL SUDDEN STRIKE DAMAGE! This fear effect also stacks.

Then at level 4 feared creatures count as flat-footed so you can sudden strike them.

Combining all this with master thrower makes for a really fun scary character.

gorfnab
2012-07-06, 10:16 PM
GAUNTLET OF INFINITE BLADES
Price (Item Level): 6,500 gp (10th) Body Slot: Hands Caster Level: 12th Aura: Strong; (DC 21) conjuration, Divination Activation: Swift (mental) Weight: 1 lb.
A gauntlet of infinite blades allows you to produce a weapon at a moment’s notice. When it is activated, a dagger appears in the hand wearing the gauntlet. This ability functions as often as needed, though the dagger disappears 3 rounds after it is created. In addition, the gauntlet has 5 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges creates a more potent dagger than normal, as described below.
1 charge: +3 dagger.
3 charges: +3 dagger of seeking.
5 charges: +3 bane dagger of seeking (choose the creature type and subtype, if needed, when activating the gauntlet).
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, greater magic weapon, major creation, summon monster I, true seeing.
Cost to Create: 3,250 gp, 260 XP, 7 days.

The problem with the Gauntlet is it requires a swift action to activate. RAW you only get 1 swift action per round, meaning only one dagger created per round (and also eating up an action that would allow to use a wand of vine/grave/golem strike if the need arises). If your DM is lenient you could get this switched to a free action thus allowing you to create more than one dagger per round.

When I played a master thrower build at college my dm let me use a modified Quiver of Anariel. Basically change the words Quiver to Bandoleer and arrow(s) to dagger(s).

Quiver of Anariel

Quiver of Anariel:Quivers of Anariel appear to be typical arrow containers capable of holding a score of arrows. However, the quivers automatically replenish themselves with standard or magical arrows, such that they are always full. Some quivers also create arrows made of special materials, such as adamantine, cold iron, or alchemical silver.

Once an arrow it taken from the quiver, it must be used within 1 round or it vanishes.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, minor creation; Price 28,000 gp (standard arrows), 29,000 gp (masterwork arrows), 32,000 gp (+1 arrows), 44,000 gp (+2 arrows), 64,000 gp (+3 arrows), 92,000 gp (+4 arrows), 128,000 gp (+5 arrows); Add an additional +6,000 gp for adamantine arrows, +4,005 gp for cold iron arrows, or +200 gp for alchemical silver arrows; Weight 1 lb.
Thankfully someone saved this article here (http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/Downloads/Downloads_WotC/The Lone Drow Companions of the Hall.htm) since WOTC decided to delete the original posting.

sophosbarbaros
2012-07-07, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the assistance, I think it will be a fun weekend.

Andorax
2012-07-07, 07:37 PM
Gonna back up the Invisible Blade thing. Between theme, pre-requisites, and both it and Master Thrower being 5-level classes, I've seen instances where they're treated almost as if they were one 10-level PRC together.

Togo
2012-07-07, 07:44 PM
The problem with the Gauntlet is it requires a swift action to activate. RAW you only get 1 swift action per round, meaning only one dagger created per round (and also eating up an action that would allow to use a wand of vine/grave/golem strike if the need arises). If your DM is lenient you could get this switched to a free action thus allowing you to create more than one dagger per round.

Or if you read the text very carefully, it says that it can create daggers as often as needed, and then goes on to discuss spending charges. So it could be the gauntlet produces daggers as part of the attack (as often as needed), and charges are then swift actions.

That makes a lot more sense than simply assuming the designer made a mistake.

At higher level, I'd had success in convincing DMs to allow to get the gauntlet enchanted, thus applying the +1 bonus to any dagger thrown with it, including those produced by the guantlet itself.

Another possibility is to argue that quick draw allows you to sheath weapons just as quickly, or to create a weapon trick based on slight of hand that allows you to hold several daggers at once while throwing or catching them (as many knife throwers in real life do). Either one allows you to use returning daggers, although you do then need to buy a lot of them.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-07, 07:49 PM
Gonna back up the Invisible Blade thing. Between theme, pre-requisites, and both it and Master Thrower being 5-level classes, I've seen instances where they're treated almost as if they were one 10-level PRC together.

Invisible Blade was originally designed as a 10-level class, hence its weird prerequisites. I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff stripped out was given to the Master Thrower. I'd check, but wakinglands appears to have gone away, and I haven't got it saved. :-(

Edit: I haven't found the original class, but the 5-level version should have as prerequisites only Weapon Focus (dagger, kukri, or punching dagger) and Weapon Finesse, per the author.

Edit 2: The full 10-level IB is available here (http://www.scribd.com/doc/78940391/d-d-Invisible-Blade).

gorfnab
2012-07-07, 08:04 PM
Or if you read the text very carefully, it says that it can create daggers as often as needed, and then goes on to discuss spending charges. So it could be the gauntlet produces daggers as part of the attack (as often as needed), and charges are then swift actions.

That makes a lot more sense than simply assuming the designer made a mistake.

Text Bolded for reference:

Activation: Swift (mental) Weight: 1 lb.
A gauntlet of infinite blades allows you to produce a weapon at a moment’s notice. When it is activated, a dagger appears in the hand wearing the gauntlet.
It's not really a designers mistake, it's more of an oversight. In my opinion the designers intention was to make it useable for a dagger thrower to use more than once per round, however once it got to editing the mechanics took over and was listed as a Swift action instead of a Free action. Again most DMs will probably be lenient on this and just rule it as a free action. Using the modified Quiver of Anariel would have a small benefit over the Gauntlet, mainly that a Quiver or Bandoleer does not take up a magic item slot. The Gauntlet takes up the Hand slot, which means no room for Gloves of Dex +X or Gauntlets of Extended Range.

Another magic item that can easily be modified to produce infinite daggers is the Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC page 194). Change the Javelins part to Daggers and you're set.