PDA

View Full Version : Artifact guy/ porting from Min/max boards.

complains
2012-07-06, 05:35 PM
MAGIC ITEM COMPENDIUM THE CLASS.

I really would appreciate some help finishing class. It started with me wanting alot of items that don't see play and how a commoner strapped with enough magic items can rule 3.x. I can't seem to be able to come up with names for the class or the abilities.

Also sorry for the lack of tables I'm doing this with only text documents.

Hit dice: D8
Bab: Full
Fort: poor
Ref : poor
Will: good
Skills: 4+int Modifier
Balance, Escape Artist, Heal, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move silently, Open Lock, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Sleight of hand, Speak language, Spot, Tumble, Use magic device, Use rope.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Artifact guy is proficient in all simple weapons and three weapons of his choosing. He is proficient in light and medium armor and all shields.

The Artifact guy cannot get consumable/one-shot items.

Minor item abilities:
At 1st level and every level there after, except 6th, 12th, and 18th, the artifact guy gains an ability identical to an ring, rod, or wondrous item of his choosing with a value equal to 1000gp + 1000gp per character level. He does not get the item Artifact Guy just has that ability now. If the item gives a save the DC changes to 10 + half level + con bonus. if you choose an item with charges you can gain this ability again adding more charges to the ability that replenish each day. Every level Artifact guy gains he can replace an ability he has gained and choose a new one at the new value limit.

Medium item abilities:
At 6th level and every level there after, except 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th, the artifact guy gains abilities as if he had a ring, rod, or wondrous item of his choosing. He can choose items of value equal to 11,000 gp plus an additional 2000gp per character level after gains this ability. The artifact guy can choose more than one item, but the combined values cannot exceed the gold peice limit. If the item gives a save the DC changes to 10 + half level + con bonus. Every even level Artifact guy gains he can replace an ability he has gained and choose a new one at the new value limit.

Major item abilities:
At 14th level and every level there after the Artifact guy gains abilities as if he had a ring, rod, or wondrous item of his choosing. He can choose items of value equal to 50,000 gp plus an additional 30,000gp per character level after gains this ability. The artifact guy can choose more than one item, but the combined values cannot exceed the gold peice limit. Every even level Artifact guy gains he can replace an ability he has gained and choose a new one at the new value limit.

Modifications: altering items in new ways
At 2nd level and every three after the artifact guy gets a modification. These abilities change how certain item abilities work, from changing the bonus type, to adding damage to an effect.

Bread and Butter:
Choose an item ability that takes a standard action to activate. You can now activate it as a full round action to use this ability a number of times as your full attack routine. If you change out the item ability you can change this modificiation to another ability.

Morphic bonus:
Change the bonus type of one item ability you have to a circumstance bonus. If you change out the item ability you can change this modificiation to another ability.

Heroic glow:
Choose an item ability that does damage whenever you use this ability parts of you glow as bright as a torch. Yes you can pick the parts, more importantly you can add you character level to damage rolls to this ability. If you change out the item ability you can change this modificiation to another ability.

Artifact Smash:
At 18th level the Artifact Guy can do a level check vs the DC to dispel an ring, rod, or wondrous item. If he succeeds, he destroys the item and Artifact Guy gains the abilities of the destoryed item.

Quellian-dyrae
2012-07-06, 06:01 PM
I like the idea, since magic items are a very versatile and modular pool of abilities to build a character with. I'm a bit unsure on the implementation though.

First and foremost, how does this class interact with the rules for custom magic item creation? If it can use those rules, it's a substantial boost to potential power.

By my calculations, the total gold value of a 20th level Artifact Guy is 2,396,000 gold. I'm not sure if that's problematic or not, but it's worth noting. Personally, I'd say it might be easier just to have a set amount of gold piece value (probably based on the WBL table, with a percentage increase or decrease as appropriate to the class's intended power level) that the Artifact Guy can devote to gaining magic item abilities, swapping around on a per-level basis.

Bread and Butter is probably overpowered. Quite a few magic items allow the casting of spells, and spells aren't really balanced for use on a full attack. It's flat-out broken if custom item rules are allowed.

Morphic Bonus is interesting. It basically doubles possible stat bonuses, but I don't think that's too huge, especially since slots are limited and competing with other modifications.

Heroic Glow looks solid, although Bread and Butter almost certainly overpowers it, I imagine the theory is you'd take Bread and Butter first and then boost your signature move further with Heroic Glow.

Artifact Smash worries me a bit, just because it allows the character to gain permanent powers on a per-encounter basis. I suppose that since they're from magic items, you'd be able to get them anyway, but it still sends up a red flag, for me.

Hope some of that is helpful.