PDA

View Full Version : Divine Metamagic Question

Tibbaerrohwen
2012-07-06, 09:54 PM
I'm working on a Rainbow Servant and thinking about taking Divine Metamagic. The text for the feat Divine Metamagic refers to turning undead which Rainbow Servant don't have, but they can turn/rebuke air/earth creatures. Does this count? Should it?

Thanks.

eggs
2012-07-06, 09:56 PM
No and no, in about that order. :smalltongue:

Jarian
2012-07-06, 09:58 PM
Does this count? Should it?

No, and no. Turn and Rebuke undead work because they are specified as working. There are a few others that work as well, but they are the exception to the rule. Destroy Undead (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft ACF), Channel Incarnum (Azurin Cleric sub level 1), Turn Energy (Dragonblood Cleric sub level 1), and one other that escapes me at the moment. Aside from that, unless it specifies that it applies to feats and abilities that require Turn/Rebuke Undead (as all the mentioned ones do), it does not.

Tibbaerrohwen
2012-07-06, 10:32 PM
Alright, thanks for the info. Without taking class levels in anything, is there another way for a Rainbow Servant to gain Divine Metamagic?

Jarian
2012-07-06, 10:35 PM
Alright, thanks for the info. Without taking class levels in anything, is there another way for a Rainbow Servant to gain Divine Metamagic?

No. The easiest way you can do this is with a Sacred Exorcist dip, which would continue the casting of whatever it is you'd be powering with Rainbow Servant. Outside of that, it's a dip into cleric, dread necromancer, or some obscure dragon class/prc that I'm not aware of.

eggs
2012-07-06, 10:38 PM
Shapechange or [Draconic] Polymorph+Assume Supernatural Ability for something with Turn or Rebuke? The Clericish Rakshasa in MM3 comes to mind.

Jarian
2012-07-06, 10:41 PM
Shapechange or [Draconic] Polymorph+Assume Supernatural Ability for something with Turn or Rebuke? The Clericish Rakshasa in MM3 comes to mind.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/659/gouda20wheel20red20wax2.jpg

Is there actually a single legitimate use for Assume Supernatural Ability? Aside from being 3.0 (strike one), from Savage Species (strike two), it is notoriously broken (strike three).

Shapechange is... well... yeah.

Legitimate answers in the context of the question, but both of them rank between gouda and limburger.

Tibbaerrohwen
2012-07-06, 11:19 PM
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/659/gouda20wheel20red20wax2.jpg

Is there actually a single legitimate use for Assume Supernatural Ability? Aside from being 3.0 (strike one), from Savage Species (strike two), it is notoriously broken (strike three).

Shapechange is... well... yeah.

Legitimate answers in the context of the question, but both of them rank between gouda and limburger.

Agreed, ASA is a little too cheesy for me but thanks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-06, 11:32 PM
Use the built-in adaptation suggestion of Rainbow Servant to switch it to Striped Servant, but base it off an Ak'chazar Rakshasa in MM3. Enter with Dread Necromancer (HoH) and you'll have Rebuke Undead, and be able to get DMM.

eggs
2012-07-07, 12:14 AM
Fair enough. :smalltongue: When someone's asking about free metamagic and Rainbow Servant, I really don't want to speculate where the line is drawn.

Tibbaerrohwen
2012-07-07, 07:09 AM
Use the built-in adaptation suggestion of Rainbow Servant to switch it to Striped Servant, but base it off an Ak'chazar Rakshasa in MM3. Enter with Dread Necromancer (HoH) and you'll have Rebuke Undead, and be able to get DMM.

Despite my earlier protests, I am now working with a beguiler turned Rainbow Servant. Unfortunately, this makes Dread Necro levels a difficult addition because of level caps.

Ernir
2012-07-07, 09:26 AM
Next problem: Rainbow Servant advances arcane spells, while DMM only affects divine spells (see CDiv errata).

I suggest a Naenhoon Illumian (Races of Destiny).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-07, 12:02 PM
Next problem: Rainbow Servant advances arcane spells, while DMM only affects divine spells (see CDiv errata).

I suggest a Naenhoon Illumian (Races of Destiny).

When you get access to the Cleric spell list via Rainbow Servant, any of those spells that don't appear on the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list are cast as divine spells.

Ernir
2012-07-07, 05:31 PM
When you get access to the Cleric spell list via Rainbow Servant, any of those spells that don't appear on the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list are cast as divine spells.

Oh. Did not realize that.

Well, that would fix the problem. :smalltongue:

Sir_Chivalry
2012-07-18, 06:57 PM
Sacred Exorcist is your best bet there. Then again, any DM not off his rocker would ask what you were planning to do with that feat.