PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a game for some newbies

Devmaar
2012-07-07, 11:41 AM
The party's going to consist of a Cleric of some sort (I'm thinking of suggesting the spontaneous variant to keep it simple), a 'Mage' (I'm waiting for clarification on what sort of caster they want), a Swordsage (the only one who's played before) and a player who wants to be a 'Spellsword type class'.

I'm planning to work with the new players t get the characters built but the gish is the one I'm not sure on. Obviously I would advise either a Psy-War or Duskblade but I wasn't sure which. I feel Duskblade might be better at first level (Starting there to simplify the game) but I'm not totally sure. Also I feel psionics might be easier for a new player to pick up, but that might just be down to my personal preference for psionic classes.

So, Internet Hivemind, help me help them :smallsmile:

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind some generic advice on teaching the game

EDITEDIT: We've pretty much dealt with the initial problem, advice would still be appreciated

Slipperychicken
2012-07-07, 02:48 PM
"Mage" probably refers to high-damage blasting/nuking. Direct-damage metamagic'd Sorcerer is most likely what he wants. Advise him to take the Fiery Burst reserve feat at 3rd level so he doesn't worry about "running out of juice" halfway through the dungeon. Psion can also fill that role.

Psionics is easier to learn than Vancian, especially if the player is already familiar with the concept of Mana or Magic Points. Just don't forget the maximum power points you can spend on a single power is equal to your ML.

I don't see any problems with Spontaneous Cleric. If he's playing a Healbot, he'll have more spells/day to do it. Healing domain might actually be good for him, since it'll basically free up one spell known/level, unless there are some good non-Cleric spells you want to grab (like from the Travel domain).

PF Magus is a gish-in-a-can, if you use PF stuff.

eggs
2012-07-07, 03:12 PM
I love psychic warriors, but they're definitely harder to build and play than duskblades.

With duskblades, you pick a spell, point, click, and make whatever you're attacking dead.

With Psychic Warriors, the action economy becomes a nightmare without Linked Power (and really fiddly with it) and it's really easy for an inexperienced player to go nova and turn into a crappy fighter for the rest of the day. Plus feat chains get pretty complex, if a player's trying to use them well.

On the mage, I'd go with one of the full-list spontaneous casters (Warmage, Beguiler, Dread Necro, depending on the player's preference). Unless there's a prepared caster with a deep spell list, none of them should be inappropriate.

Devmaar
2012-07-07, 03:20 PM
It's now looking like
Gnome Swordsage (knows the game)
[Race] Sorcerer (has played Baldur's gate and NwN2)
[Race] Bard (the Cleric changed her mind, I'm throwing in a free wand of CLW so Healing's still covered) (totally new)
[Race] Duskblade (totally new)

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-07, 03:36 PM
Mystic, from Dragonlance. I love that class, SO MUCH. Oh, switched to a Bard?

If the mage is familiar with video games like Dragon Age or World of Warcraft or Diablo, ask the mage player, "So what are you mostly interested in? Battlefield control, buff, debuff, or blast?"

Devmaar
2012-07-07, 03:42 PM
Yes, I forgot to mention the Sorc has expressed an interest in focusing on Battlefield control. I've also told him he can use this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Beastfolk,_Urban_Catfolk_(3.5e_Race)). (That came with a warning to be careful with dandwiki) I thought the race looked alright, a net +0 to ability scores, minor bonuses (low-light vision, +balance) so unless Monstrous Humanoid has some issue I didn't think of it should be good, right?

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-07, 03:58 PM
Just point him to the God handbook. If he likes D&D videogames, he should try the current Temple of Elemental Evil, and play a Wizard or Sorcerer who focuses on Enlarge Person, Grease and Giltterdust... he'll quickly realize how powerful battlefield control is in that game, especially if you have some reach weapon wielding (longspear, guisarme, spiked chain) folk with decent dex and combat reflexes and maybe sneak attack. In this way it is the video game that is most like D&D 3.5e, tactically (especially with regards to Tumble, Withdrawal, Five Foot Step, and Charging too!). Just be sure to get the latest Circle of Nine modpack, it fixes bugs and adds stuff...

Devmaar
2012-07-07, 04:06 PM
I'm trying to avoid 'just point them to a handbook' so as to keep them on an even playing field. I have recommended the game

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-07, 04:47 PM
Well point him at these spells for battlefield control, then:

Caltrops (SpCom)
Grease
Wall of Smoke (SpCom)
Silent Image
Web
Glitterdust
Cloud of Bewilderment (SpCom)
Stinking Cloud
Bands of Steel (SpCom)

And the feat "Cloudy Conjuration" from Complete Mage, I think.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-07, 04:47 PM
It's now looking like
Gnome Swordsage (knows the game)
[Race] Sorcerer (has played Baldur's gate and NwN2)
[Race] Bard (the Cleric changed her mind, I'm throwing in a free wand of CLW so Healing's still covered) (totally new)
[Race] Duskblade (totally new)

While I support using CLW/Lesser Vigor wands for healing, the Bard still has healing spells on her list (that's why she can use the wand, after all), if she wants to heal. The Healing Hymn ACF significantly improves her healing potential, improving each healing spell cast by her Perform ranks.

Devmaar
2012-07-07, 04:53 PM
While I support using CLW/Lesser Vigor wands for healing, the Bard still has healing spells on her list (that's why she can use the wand, after all), if she wants to heal. The Healing Hymn ACF significantly improves her healing potential, improving each healing spell cast by her Perform ranks.

The only healing spell a 1st level Bard can have is Cure Minor Wounds. I don't mind giving them a hand.